• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

So its basically a new continuity? How did new 52 supes die?
And I wasnt asling if those charafters were still around, I want to know how they came about in the first place.

Might as well be a new continuity. If most of post-Crisis' Superman's history is intact, jesus.

For example:
ECF2.png

That's from Superman Reborn. Right off the bat, the red flags include Death of Superman (meaning Steel and Superboy have different origins from New 52), and Imperiex, (meaning Our Worlds at War happened, which adds Linda Danvers, Natasha Irons, and others back into the mix).

All these Superman costumes to the right point to other wide-reaching series and events. If Electric Superman happened, did Morrison's JLA run? Does that mean Zauriel still exists? WHO KNOWS?

And note, I'm perfectly fine with all this. I can roll with it just fine as long as Tomasi gets to continue killing it on Superman. But no, it's not wonderful storytelling in any way.

shingi70

Banned
Superman reborn should have either been the finale arc of the new 52 superman books or the first arc of the rebirth Superbooks.

Having reborn done in the middle was a a huge mistake and meant nearly 10 months of story telling in rebirth just went though massive retcons

Who is wispy-bearded Superman (to Mongul's right) meant to be? Or is that the current, during-the-story version?

That's supposed to be the current version, watching his life play out via the Fortress' holosomethingsomething. I think the beard was an artist or inker error that no one corrected.

tim1138

All these Superman costumes to the right point to other wide-reaching series and events. If Electric Superman happened, did Morrison's JLA run? Does that mean Zauriel still exists? WHO KNOWS?

Zauriel did appear in the N52, I wanna say during the Forever Evil Blight story, but maybe just in a random issue of Phantom Stranger.

Valahart

Hey there, I'm totally new to comics. Can anybody recommend me something that's completed and it's short that I can read to get an idea of what it's all about?

I'm not super into superheroes so I'd think something a little more mystery/fantasy oriented. If it helps I'm a big fan of cartoons such as Gravity Falls and Steven Universe.

I have read the first few issues of I Hate Fairyland and I thought it was fun if a little too goofy-gore for my tastes. I'll definitely keep reading that but I'm craving something slightly more on the serious mood.

Thanks!

Glix

Hey there, I'm totally new to comics. Can anybody recommend me something that's completed and it's short that I can read to get an idea of what it's all about?

I'm not super into superheroes so I'd think something a little more mystery/fantasy oriented. If it helps I'm a big fan of cartoons such as Gravity Falls and Steven Universe.

I have read the first few issues of I Hate Fairyland and I thought it was fun if a little too goofy-gore for my tastes. I'll definitely keep reading that but I'm craving something slightly more on the serious mood.

Thanks!

Maybe Fables? I haven't read past issue 30 or so, but I can vouch that the first few volumes are superb.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/fables-vol-1-bill-willingham/1105676244/2691135955341?st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Marketplace+Shopping+greatbookprices_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP23941&k_clickid=3x23941

Thanks!

You should definitely try Birthright. Also take a look at Curse Words. Unholy Grail is only a couple issues in but you might check that out too if you like Arthurian stuff.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks!

For both of those, there's licensed comics, though I don't think Gravity Falls' has come out yet. Here's a link to new Steven Universe Ongoing.

Based on those, I'd also suggest The Backstagers by James Tynion and Rian Sygh, and Goldie Vance by Hope Larson and Brittney Williams.

Backstagers has the mysterious adventure thing that Gravity Falls had a bunch of, and Goldie Vance has a whole girl detective thing. I've only read the first volume of that, but I found it charming.

Then there's Lumberjanes, which definitely has a lot in common with Gravity Falls. It's about girls at a girl scout camp, uncovering the mysteries of the woods.

A bit outside of that niche, but also great is Giant Days, which is about three roommates at an English university. It's just charming as all get out.

Basically, look into everything that Boom makes. Boom is great.

Glix

Forgot to add this to my thoughts on Astonishing #2

Really stupid that the reveal in this issue was spoiled by one of the variant covers to issue #1.

Not a huge deal, or a huge reveal, but its one of the annoying things about this whole 10000 different variants trend.

mreddie

MASTER OF KUNG FU #126
CM Punk (W) • Dalibor Talajic (A)
Cover by MIKE MAYHEW
Shang-Chi’s Day Off Part 1 (OF 1)
The Marvel Universe is full of fighters: brawlers, scrappers, weapons experts, mystical kung fu virtuosi. But there’s only one martial artist skilled enough to be called the greatest. SHANG-CHI has been a pinch hitter for a long time, stepping in for Avengers missions when no one else would do, but when no one can match your speed or skill, sometimes it’s best to work alone. To see what you’ve been missing if you don’t know Shang-Chi, don’t miss MASTER OF KUNG FU!

Meh.

Is Punk actually going to write it this time or is Cullen Bunn going to carry him again?

I mean, Cullen Bunn is busy writing 98% of comics right now, but still.

tim1138

Back to comments on DC continuity, I'm pretty certain that even Hypertime has been mentioned a couple times since Rebirth started. It looks to me like they're just throwing everything at the wall and handwaving it away with the lost time that Doc Manhattan stole. I have a feeling that once the main Rebirth story wraps up we're going to have a post Crisis style continuity to clean up the contradictory threads.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Mighty Thor #22 and Spider-Men II #2 were pretty good.

Now off to read Star Wars #34! I heard this one is about Lando!

SALVADOR LARROCA
Artist
BqS2FO8.gif

mreddie

DARKHAWK #51
CHAD BOWERS & CHRIS SIMS (W) • KEV WALKER (A)
Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA
The RETURN Part 1 (OF 1)
Years ago, Chris Powell discovered a mysterious amulet that allowed him to transform into the spacefaring gladiator known as DARKHAWK. With his newfound edge against crime, he stood against some of the most extreme threats the Marvel Universe has to offer! Now, when two members of the Fraternity of Raptors descend on New York with designs on stealing the amulet and returning it to the stars, it’s not Darkhawk who has to rise to the challenge…it’s Chris Powell!

Hmmmmmm...

Lump on this. The IDW books are omnibus editions. There's a ludicrous amount of good content here.

(It's almost all of the IDW Transformers books before MTMTE if you got the last bundle).

Time to bump the TF thread?

Hmmmmmm...
Man, I'd be way more interested in this if it wasn't just one-shots.

so is Logan back, is this old man Logan, whats going on?
Remember how Alonso said Generations wouldn't have time travel or alternate realities?
Time travel to the past.

so is Logan back, is this old man Logan, whats going on?

Time travel. It's complicated. I've read all the Generations issues so far and I still don't get it.

I'm guessing it's a Secret Empire thing but AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.

So many curios in that Transformers bundle. The Dreamwave WWII crossover (with Jae Lee art!), all of Regeneration One, the Van Lente Joe run. Lots of stuff I've wanted for ages. Going in for the top tier. Hopefully there are no trading cards this time and they don't ship mine to Scotland by mistake (I never got the Revolution ones, though I did get an email saying they were being shipped to Scotland!).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I love how Salvador Larroca can't copy and trace Sana's face from the movies, he has to find a bunch of different pictures of black women, so Sansa ends up changing faces every other panel.

STOP HIRING THIS GUY, MARVEL

He is ruining all your Star Wars comics.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh... thats not making me want to rush out to resub to MU fam :/

well at this point I would probably get civil war 2 there, which really doesnt make me want to resub

mreddie

It's about time regular Logan came back. I'm tired of Old Man.

Logan made the most money of the Wolverine spinoffs so...Mahvoo says LOLNO

Time travel. It's complicated. I've read all the Generations issues so far and I still don't get it.

I'm guessing it's a Secret Empire thing but AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT.

After this week, I just want it to end. THERE'S STILL 3 MORE ISSUES if you count Omega.

Ross61

Jimmy Palmiotti tweeted this and said Coming Soon. It's Amanda Conners Jetsons.

No she isn't on art duties Btw.
Kinda bummed that it's a six issue miniseries, but will read every issue. Second wave of Hanna-Barbera book are looking great.

Sandfox

It's about time regular Logan came back. I'm tired of Old Man.
I'm curious to see how they handle that.
Time to bump the TF thread?

Man, I'd be way more interested in this if it wasn't just one-shots.

Remember how Alonso said Generations wouldn't have time travel or alternate realities?
Time travel to the past.
I would expect there to be more to it that will be revealed later.

Malyse

BP and The Crew: In light of what's happening in this country, this book is so relevant. But you fucking killed it. GREAT JOB GUYS. This would have been a legendary run if they let it have its legs. At least there's one more issue, but fuck you for this kill Marvel.

Dark Days Metal: Fucking what? What.
You know what, I'll let them sell me on the story. I'm confluzzed as hell, but sure. I'm interested at least and it seems to not be as heavy on old lore as I feared.

So all the Batman books are in canon with each other? Hoo boy.

Dammit Bruce. Seriously?

Generations The Best: I didn't miss Logan until this comic. Now I want a Laura Logan book. Like, a lot. Man, this was so, so good.

Current Ranking:
  1. The Best
  2. The Phoenix
  3. The Strongest

Gotham City Garage: This is clearly the next Bombshells. Super cool, (probably) feminist comic about kick ass ladies (that you can buy as figures!). I love it already, but I'm a little surprised by the art direction. It's a grungy look and that makes sense for the aesthetic, but it still seems a bold choice.

Gwenpool: This comic is everything right now. Gwen is the most dangerous woman in comics by far and black lipstick is so badass. I can't wait for the updates for MFF, MPQ, and MCoC to give the evil Gwenpool outfit. God, I love this book so much. Also, the way the cover and solicits hid the twist is effing beautiful.

Best book!

Top Bottom