• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

VanWinkle

Mystik U

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/0...ust-and-more-enroll-in-mystik-u?sf106880888=1

MYSU_Cv1_5994b7b5741890.01611960.jpg

Oh man, this looks interesting.

since GAF seems to have a bigger bias(at least in this thread) for DC. What is the best story to be reading right now? I have been reading a ton of older stories because I just go to the library and get whats available. I have discovered that I can always trust Geoff Johns to deliver a solid story. So what's the best current storyline?

I don't think it's a bias towards DC at all. It's just that right now DC is doing a lot right, and Marvel has been a bit of a mess lately.

Dusknoir

yo, Street Fighter Vs Darkstalkers #4 is really good. I would read a book based on Elena.
%28elenat%29.gif

Hell I hope this book is successful enough for these two Fighting Games to cross more in comics. I wish Udon got the rights in the Tekken rather than Titan.

Messi

since GAF seems to have a bigger bias(at least in this thread) for DC. What is the best story to be reading right now? I have been reading a ton of older stories because I just go to the library and get whats available. I have discovered that I can always trust Geoff Johns to deliver a solid story. So what's the best current storyline?

Remember when we were accused of being Marvel heads like a year ago lol. Good times

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Remember when we were accused of being Marvel heads like a year ago lol. Good times

Can't win

DC doing it better than Marvel atm, that's all. When DC fuck up and Marvel does well we'll be Marvel fanboys again

Lol, are they finally putting out Mystic U? I remember them announcing that 2 years ago. Maybe Dark Universe will see the light of day (both were DCYou books that never materialised)

I hate Kirkman's writing more than anyone

I think I could maybe raise you on this haha. Depends how impassioned you are

What is the best recent Legion book for someone that hasnt read much of the series? And what is the difference between the roster in Legion Lost (New 52) compared to the Levitz roster? I remember reading some of the Legion Lost book but had no idea who any of the characters were at the time lol. Did Abbnet and Lanning write a Legion book?

Surprised Morrison and Johns didnt use the Legion character more than they did.

You want to read Legion Lost, the non New 52 version. That's Abnett and Lanning's run.

Abnett and Lanning started with Legion of the Damned, a storyline that ran through both of the existing Legion books at the time. Legion Lost is the true jumping on point, which ran concurrently with Legion Worlds.

Once that was over, they had The Legion which ran for 38 issues and finished off their run.

It's not really a bias. Some folks go hard, but jump back... 2 years ago and you'll see the same in reverse. In another 2 years, DC will get too heady and start making poor moves and Marvel will be recovering from being the maligned underdog.

mreddie

MOON KNIGHT #188 & 189

MAX BEMIS (W) • JACEN BURROWS (A/C)
CRAZY RUNS IN THE FAMILY Parts 1 & 2
A new day is dawning and with it comes an enemy unlike any that Marc Spector, Moon Knight, has ever faced. Moon Knight has always been a protector from the shadows, but this new enemy is looking to extinguish that shadow with blinding light and fire. Get ready for the introduction of Moon Knight’s greatest nemesis!

Bemis sounds like a good fit for Moon but it looks like no more Mr. Knight for now.

ElNarez

Banned
Marvel's announced like ten more artists on Legacy -basically every Marvel big hitter they have- and I still don't care that much. It's fucked up. It's fucked up bad.

Lashley

Lol, are they finally putting out Mystic U? I remember them announcing that 2 years ago. Maybe Dark Universe will see the light of day (both were DCYou books that never materialised)

I think I could maybe raise you on this haha. Depends how impassioned you are

No, Donnie. No!

Sandfox

Pepe Larraz doing that Avengers panel is interesting and fuels the rumors about what he's working on.
Bemis sounds like a good fit for Moon but it looks like no more Mr. Knight for now.
Bemis is who I've been wanting since we knew a Moon Knight book was coming. The perfect choice.

Messi

Pepe Larraz doing that Avengers panel is interesting and fuels the rumors about what he's working on.

Bemis is who I've been wanting since we knew a Moon Knight book was coming. The perfect choice.

Oh my God if Avengers is Aaron and Larazz. I might just die.

Sandfox

Oh my God if Avengers is Aaron and Larazz. I might just die.
If we give the rumors credence then Larraz would be doing a maxi-series(written by Aaron I would assume) that leads up the Aaron/Ribic book and the relaunch. If those rumors are fake than we still know that Larraz is working on a book with this hinting that it might be something Avengers related.

Messi

If we give the rumors credence then Larraz would be doing a maxi-series(written by Aaron I would assume) that leads up the Aaron/Ribic book and the relaunch. If those rumors are fake than we still know that Larraz is working on a book with this hinting that it might be something Avengers related.

Lol at the idea that Ribic can be ongoing these days.

Where's his image book they announced 2 years ago?

Looks like Snyder and the other creators on Metal got their wish. The JL tie-ins have been renamed from Justice Insurgence to Bats Out Of Hell.

The delays to SW due to Ribic were insane.

Is this where he's a Nazi? I saw that reported yesterday

I don't know about that. There were some similarities, but there always are when you're looking for them. I think there's just this paranoia hanging everywhere now that we're living in the era of God King Trump. Suddenly everything is a Nazi.

Lashley

I think so.

I don't know about that. There were some similarities, but there always are when you're looking for them. I think there's just this paranoia hanging everywhere now that we're living in the era of God King Trump. Suddenly everything is a Nazi.

Tim?
No, we don't really see him.
There was something reported where an alternate universe Batman would appear who was a fascist and it was coming in November.

There was something reported where an alternate universe Batman would appear who was a fascist and it was coming in November.

This is definitely the book referenced. He's fascist, sure. How much of a stretch the term Nazi becomes in relation to it remains to be seen. The Batman himself in this story is
Tim Drake

VanWinkle

gWR3Xay.png

Everything there is a hotmess.

Hahaha. When I hear the dreaded "SJW" term, THIS would be a real example of it, not just normal people fighting for equality and diversity.

What is the best recent Legion book for someone that hasnt read much of the series? And what is the difference between the roster in Legion Lost (New 52) compared to the Levitz roster? I remember reading some of the Legion Lost book but had no idea who any of the characters were at the time lol. Did Abbnet and Lanning write a Legion book?

Surprised Morrison and Johns didnt use the Legion character more than they did.

Hmm I haven't read much Legion stuff past the 80s. But Superman and the Legion of Superheroes by Geoff Johns was a great story and I think it would be a pretty good book for someone who hasn't read much. I have a friend who read this as his first Legion story and he said it immediately made him love the team.

I think I got a few things mixed up.

I think there's a miniseries coming up where Nightwing is a fascist dictator or something like that.
Maybe you're thinking of that.

Edit: okay I didn't get the synopsis exactly right in my head. I guess Nightwing heads a government organization that hunts down and eliminates anybody with powers.

Nightwing-The-New-Order-1-Cover-600x911.jpg

mreddie

What's with comics and making heroes become totalitarian fascists these days?

MOTHERFUCKER, YOU SAID IN MAY IT WASN'T POLITICALLY INSPIRED. WHICH IS IT?
And said heroes get jobbed for 7 issues...you dense idiot.

VeeP

Okay, now I'm hyped.
Man, I love Tim. And this takes place after his story line in Detective Comics. But hopefully he finally gets some love. Dude has been shitted on for way too long by DC. Tynion hasn't disappointed me so far in Rebirth so hopefully it delivers.

Sandfox

What's with comics and making heroes become totalitarian fascists these days?

MOTHERFUCKER, YOU SAID IN MAY IT WASN'T POLITICALLY INSPIRED. WHICH IS IT?
And said heroes get jobbed for 7 issues...you dense idiot.

If your referring to what I think you are the full quote is:
Like other recent Marvel events (Secret Wars, Civil War II), Secret Empire shares its name with a previous Marvel event, a '70s Captain America storyline by Steve Englehart and Sal Buscema in which a mysterious evil organization infiltrated the highest levels of American government. Written in the wake of Watergate, the story had high political resonance, but Spencer and Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso insist that this Secret Empire has little to do with contemporary political parallels. It's an age-old battle of good vs. evil, with the top superhero in Marvel history on one side, and all his friends and teammates on the other.

All of the Spencer Cap stuff is political. I wonder what would have happened if Trump was already in office before the Hydra Cap stuff was pitched.

caliph95

The American Way
Seeing the new American Way series I decided to read the original one.

I thought it would be just a story of race but no it's also a but of a cold war story where the premise is the use of propaganda war that was going on but with superheroes with race as well. I do like some of the twist and as well as the commentary capturing the racial and cold war tension and frustration at the time from the minorities. Some of which feels oddly relevant.

Though I do question like
why the girl with the time powers even joined the southern group in the first place especially when she seems to hate them

I do enjoy the book and will read the new one.

Top Bottom