• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Marvel Unlimited looks pretty great, if a little pricey.

Normally I would much prefer volumes, but since there only seems to be one (two?) and there have been many, I think Unlimited is the better option here.

I bet I could use that iPad to use around here. Thanks!

Marvel runs sales on Unlimited subscriptions a few times a year for new/non-current members, sometimes for around $47ish.

edit:

Spending $15 on Forever Evil 4, Justice League 25 and 26, JLoA 10, and Inhumanity #1 feels really really bad.

Marvel runs sales on Unlimited subscriptions a few times a year for new/non-current members, sometimes for around $47ish.

edit:

Spending $15 on Forever Evil 4, Justice League 25 and 26, JLoA 10, and Inhumanity #1 feels really really bad.
Why are you disappointed brah? Inhuman will be better.

Still debating what books to add in the comic months. DC needs to announce their shit already. Im ready for more universe shattering stories....

Owzers

Inhumanity read like a crappy Marvel Point One preview book begging you to buy Inhuman, Marvel should give those out for free.

amazon has some weird kindle sales , 3.99 for the Fifth Beatle and other stuff, saga, walking dead trades.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read Daredevil Noir. I'd read a few of the other Noir books and they were pretty thoroughly mediocre, but I reeeally enjoyed Daredevil Noir. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

vocab

What's your people's take on Fables? Also interested.

Some people here like it, some people don't.

I just got into the series my self, and have enjoyed the first three volumes, and I just started the fourth one today. I like it overall, and want to see where the series will go.

Started Locke & Key last night and couldn't put it down. I finished the series this morning. What a great series and it lived up to the praise i've seen it receive. In a way i was happy to remain story (and even plot free) up to reading it and knocking it out in one big enjoyable read from start to end. I don't think horror comics really work too well but this one succeeds because of the amazing characters that even when they have little page time you instantly enjoy and or root for bad things to not happen to them.

Highly recommended.

It's good. Very very long, so much of it now. I find Willingham inconsistent at times in his writing though. Sometimes I'll go through a few volumes really digging stuff and then I'll just thinking "what the hell was he thinking?" with one. It isn't always for the same reason though. Sometimes it's the writing style, sometimes it's lack of characterisation, sometimes it's the plot. Usually the other two pull the thing that falters up.

I'd sum it up as good ideas, good characters, but not always the consistent writing skill to back em up. Depending what your looking for, eg. just something light hearted and enjoyable, it might be enough for you. I was speaking about Fables last night with a friend actually and summed it up as Bill Willingham often committing the same problems I have with Robert Kirkman, the difference being Kirkman commits them at every turn, whereas kind of more frustratingly, Willingham doesn't. Sometimes he's golden. I can also assure you I will recommend the direct opposite volumes of Fables to the ones everyone else always seems to
I've enjoyed the dark man stuff alot more than the first major phase of the title's lifespan
, so I may be a major outlier here and not that helpful.

Quiet day. Came back expecting to maybe have stirred up some East Of West chat, no luck :(

I read what you posted, Donie. It was cool to hear your feedback. I agree with a lot of what you said. Issues 1-3 are a ways back, though, y'know? If you discussed certain events or characters specifically, It might jog folks memory and give them something to respond to.

I really liked the first arc a lot, as I recall. I enjoyed getting to know Death and his motivations and beginning to learn how this secret society is set up.

Bii

Still a personal favorite of mine. The first 75 issues (or up to volume 11) is amazing. The arcs thereafter pale in comparison to what came before it but it's still a decent read. Despite that, I would still recommend you reading it and judge for yourself.

12/31/13 list:
Fables #136
Manhattan Projects #17

Owzers

Avengers 24.now was weird and i accidentally nicked the cover when turning pages.

I'm having the same problem i've had with Hickman's avengers lately, i don't follow the action through panel transitions, specifically the part where
they use warp guy to warp them into the craft they were building? I think? And then Hulk jump punched it? And tehn they warped out of there off panel maybe?

I didn't think the issue was very good at all.

Toa TAK

Banned
Thanks for the words on Fables folks

I'm goin to pick up the first volume of both Fables and Superior Spider-Man. That should do it for the moment.

List

Previews #304
Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight #4 of 8 (Dark Horse)
Juice Squeezers #1 of 4 (Dark Horse)
Atomic Robo Savage Sword of Dr Dinosaur #4 of 5 (Red 5)
Mercy Sparx #3 (Devil's Due)

Pretty excited for Juice Squeezers after reading the JS mini in Dark Horse Presents.

Might grab up Vertigo Essentials American Vampire #1 (DC/Vertigo) and #1 for $1 Captain Midnight (Dark Horse) if they're kicking around the shop.

From last week I still need to pick up The Saviors #1. And based on good reviews, I'm gonna grab Ghost #1, assuming an issue remains in shop.

For fans of Bill Willingham, there is a 7 part steampunk mini series called Legenderry launching this Tuesday. Willingham takes Dynamite characters like Red Sonja, Vampirella and Green Hornet, etc, and places them in a steampunk-y setting.

besiktas1

First lot of comics I've read in a long time. Just finished the court of owls volumes. It was so good! Next up, Death in the family.
Anything else I should read that is recent and good?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'd suggest the New 52 Batman & Robin trades by Tomasi. They are quite good as well and worth getting if you've enjoyed Court of Owls.

Batman & Robin Vol 1: Born to Kill
Batman & Robin Vol 2: The Pearl
Batman & Robin Vol 3: Death of the Family

Fucks yeah! Batman and Robin features the most emotional content of all of the Batbooks currently being put out. The way Tomasi and Gleason handled Damian's death was absolutely great and quite novel, each issue featuring Bruce going down a bad grief spiral as other characters try to dig him out while going through their own shit. Also, Gleason is a hell of a talent on the art side of things. The two are as in-sync as Snyder and Capullo.

First lot of comics I've read in a long time. Just finished the court of owls volumes. It was so good! Next up, Death in the family.
Anything else I should read that is recent and good?

If you really really dug The Court Of Owls, I think Talon makes a good follow-up read if you want more. Imo, Batwoman and Wonder Woman are much much better books on a raw level, but obviously have nothing to do with what you just read. B&R is a good recommendation, and as I mentioned, Talon.

12/31 List.

BATWOMAN #26
CATWOMAN #26 Wife still wants to get it.
FLASH #26
FOREVER EVIL ARGUS #3
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #26
SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #5
TRUE LIVES O/T FABULOUS KILLJOYS #6

Messi

12/31 List.

BATWOMAN #26
CATWOMAN #26 Wife still wants to get it.
FLASH #26
FOREVER EVIL ARGUS #3
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #26
SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #5
TRUE LIVES O/T FABULOUS KILLJOYS #6

Don't make excuses for Catwoman. You know you love it. You love jokers daughter too. :p

I'm getting it also. I hold out hope some day she will get the story she deserves in new 52

Can we vote for Empowered Volume 8? Because it only comes in paperbacks.
Interesting. I think that by my own rules for voting, it's disqualified because it's a trade collection. However, it's a trade collection of original material that's only released in trade format, so no? If we allow Empowered, then does that mean we allow other original graphic novel releases too? Voting for Empowered opens up a whole can of worms regarding what can and can't be voted for.

What do the rest of you think? Keep the candidates to floppies only?

Messi said:
Don't make excuses for Catwoman. You know you love it. You love jokers daughter too. :p

I'm getting it also. I hold out hope some day she will get the story she deserves in new 52
That won't happen until they get her out of Gotham and/or let her be a villain again.

The only new 52 Catwoman that I read was the first trade by Winick and March. I thought that was really good.

Going through my comic collection tonight and the art that Tony Daniel is doing in Superman Wonder Woman is amazing.

Owzers

Can't tell which let me down more, that Cowboys ending drive or Amazing X-Men #2. I'm not enjoying this Nightcrawler heaven/hell pirate arc so far, just doesn't seem like a good story.

Cheska

Interesting. I think that by my own rules for voting, it's disqualified because it's a trade collection. However, it's a trade collection of original material that's only released in trade format, so no? If we allow Empowered, then does that mean we allow other original graphic novel releases too? Voting for Empowered opens up a whole can of worms regarding what can and can't be voted for.

What do the rest of you think? Keep the candidates to floppies only?

Honestly, I don't mind letting it count. If a book is good enough that someone wants to vote for it, then go for it! I'd say to keep it strict though and only original content that's released in that format and not usual TPB collections.

Can't tell which let me down more, that Cowboys ending drive or Amazing X-Men #2. I'm not enjoying this Nightcrawler heaven/hell pirate arc so far, just doesn't seem like a good story.

I never picked up the second issue, but I liked #1. It seemed exactly like Wolverine & The X-Men, just with a focus on Nightcrawler.

Acid08

Banned
OGN's would be cool addition to the voting. Collected trades still shouldn't count but I don't see a reason why an original book shouldn't be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom