• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I never picked up the second issue, but I liked #1. It seemed exactly like Wolverine & The X-Men, just with a focus on Nightcrawler.

you might like issue 2 then, it isn't worse than the first issue. Only Bobby really feels in character from WATXM. Tons of Nightcrawler narration boxes across the entire issue.

you might like issue 2 then, it isn't worse than the first issue. Only Bobby really feels in character from WATXM. Tons of Nightcrawler narration boxes across the entire issue.

I flipped through it in the shop and just decided not to grab it. I buy too many books already. I'll be trying to get away from most of the stuff put out by the big two in 2014. I'll still buy select Marvel and DC books, but other than that, I want to focus on the stuff Image is putting out. Because there's a lack of crossovers, events, and tie-ins on the Image front, and a lot of genuinely good books.

kswiston

I think that I have decided to drop the X-titles for a bit. After Battle of the Atom, I found myself not really caring what was happening in those titles. Uncanny Avengers is close enough to scratch that itch for now, and the stuff taking place in that title will actually matter.

EDIT: At least as much as anything happening in Marvel comics matters.

Owzers

I dislike crossovers and tie-ins, but i'm a sucker for events despite being constantly letdown by their quality. Marvel, DC, do with me what you will.

kswiston

I dislike crossovers and tie-ins, but i'm a sucker for events despite being constantly letdown by their quality. Marvel, DC, do with me what you will.

I am the same. That said, I liked Infinity and thought that Trinity War was pretty good. I'm not sure what is going on with Forever Evil though. 4 issues in and it feels like the event hasn't even started yet. Perhaps I am missing most of the story in the tie ins.

Owzers

I am the same. That said, I liked Infinity and thought that Trinity War was pretty good. I'm not sure what is going on with Forever Evil though. 4 issues in and it feels like the event hasn't even started yet. Perhaps I am missing most of the story in the tie ins.

JLoA = Justice League who are missing are trapped in Firestorm, it's a story about Martian Manhunter and Stargirl trying to save the day/deal with Stargirl family issues

Justice League = random stuff. Some short fights, some owlman backstory, an issue devoted to other crime syndicate history

You're not missing much that would make you think more has happened in Forever Evil.

kswiston

JLoA = Justice League who are missing are trapped in Firestorm, it's a story about Martian Manhunter and Stargirl trying to save the day/deal with Stargirl family issues

Justice League = random stuff. Some short fights, some owlman backstory, an issue devoted to other crime syndicate history

You're not missing much that would make you think more has happened in Forever Evil.

Well, then I don't know what is going on. The Crime Syndicate had already taken over the planet before the series started, so Johns has basically wasted 4 issues of a 7 issue mini on Lex Luthor setup.

Owzers

Well, then I don't know what is going on. The Crime Syndicate had already taken over the planet before the series started, so Johns has basically wasted 4 issues of a 7 issue mini on Lex Luthor setup.

Johns has been teasing the heck out of what big enemy forced the crime syndicate out of their world and who the imprisoned guy is with the sack of his head. I still think the end will be that enemy coming to the new 52 world and everyone will have to defeat it...who knows.

Luthor does enjoy telling personal stories though.

I'm getting Blackest Night vibes where everyone's chilling out in zombieland until Nekron shows up.

I never picked up the second issue, but I liked #1. It seemed exactly like Wolverine & The X-Men, just with a focus on Nightcrawler.

It looks like Amazing will focus on the teachers, while WatX post-relaunch will be the adventures of the students, like New X-Men and Generation X.

Vibranium

Banned
You people buy fucking Catwoman and not a book like Six Gun Gorilla, what the fuck?

I'm not buying Catwoman either so don't look at me, and I'm waiting for the 6GG Trade then I'll pick it up on Comixology. It'll be a real treat to read through all at once, going by the impressions on here.

For me, Forever Evil has really been about setting a mood. The world's defenders are gone leaving behind scattered lower tier heroes as the "survivors" against impossible odds. I think I'd liken it to the feeling of standing on a ancient City wall and seeing an enemy army smash and destroy your City's defenders on the field. It's the lull just before all the atrocities happen.

Yeah its too slow. It's also not the best event ever. But I'm enjoying it.

Lists everywhere

Aquaman #26
Batman The Dark Knight #26
Batwoman #26
Damian Son Of Batman #3 (maybe)
Flash #26
Forever Evil A.R.G.U.S. #3
Justice League Dark #26
Red Lanterns #26
Superman #26
Superman Unchained #5
Teen Titans #26

Marvel's got another wedding in the works. Now, which couple might be close to tying the knot..?

Invitation_2.jpeg
Whoever it is, you won't read about it in BAM or Barnes & Noble for a while, as Marvel has suspended sales of single issues at these and other major book chain retailers. Graphic novels remain unaffected.

EDIT: Something about that teaser makes me think
Deadpool.
But there are other, more worrisome guesses to be had.

Shit this must be the place where the watcher gets drunkingly murdered leadingto Marvel's summer event!

Reading Inhuman #1 was like reading a large synopsis to The Book of Mormon. I'm excited for the future!

tim1138

What's a good jump on point for Marvel Now Deadpool? I got the Dead Presidents trade for Kindle for $4 yesterday and I'm getting a kick out of it. I wouldn't mind picking it up monthly when there's a good spot to jump in.

Messi

What's a good jump on point for Marvel Now Deadpool? I got the Dead Presidents trade for Kindle for $4 yesterday and I'm getting a kick out of it. I wouldn't mind picking it up monthly when there's a good spot to jump in.

It gets much better after the presidents arc.

Messi

I think today is literally the first time I've actually looked up a preview of 6GG to see what it's actually like. Looks fun and kooky, makes me think of hellboy/atomic robo. I'll probably pick that up in June.

Once again though, a series is cancelled, and with no trade for 6 months, they haven't and won't give every potential fan an opportunity to buy, support and/or invest in the series until well after the actual series' death. Am I to believe that if they had held off on an official *cancellation* statement post issue 6 and simply said the book was taking a short break, then got the trade out pronto, and saw really great sales on Amazon and in book stores, this wouldn't have helped the book survive? A lot of people read solely by trade. We're out there, waiting for these books. For me, until they have sold the first story in trade, they couldn't possibly gauge what the full potential of sales could be for the series, and burning it 6 months before the trade hits is just going to put people off buying the trade when it arrives. Trade sales can tell the full story AND feed back into new monthly readers if it's out within 4 weeks of the last issue like a lot of Image books. Instead of the message "Oh that got cancelled, why bother?", why not go for "We are gauging the book's continued existence on the cumulative sales of this first run and the collected trade of said run, please fucking buy it if you genuinely want this book". Sales in the book market wouldn't have encouraged them to perhaps change gear and explore OGNs oppose to a monthly book?

Sorry rant over, and I fully appreciate a lot of the monthly readers won't agree, but I just hate when the impression I'm given as a comic fan is "Your doing it wrong!!" from the publisher. If you are offering the trade as an avenue to enjoy this series, why cancel it before trade readers can support, oppose to well after the opportunity is often far gone to sit down with the creators who have now moved onto other projects so they can feed their families, to discuss options.

It was a 6 issue limited series.

I don't know why you get rid of the three of the most famous Inhumans and dont introduce any new Inhumans in the issue. Marvel writers are victims of double shipping, they use it as a crutch way too much.
Who am I supposed to be pulling for? What stake does the reader have? Medusa? The fuxking snarky ass Avengers?

I thought it was a planned 6 part series.

It was a 6 issue limited series.

Oh wow, really? Jesus, forgive my ignorance (genuinely) and forget what I said haha. I could swear I read awhile back about Spurrier being really regretful that it was coming to an end and how he'd wished it had sold more? Guess that's what I get for rage typing and assuming this was part of a pattern that I still hold my point up about, but obviously I should check my facts first.

That's cool and all, but can I pick up next month's issue or do I need to wait for a story arc to end? I'm fine with catching up on the back issues in trade.
Start with either issue #20 or #21. #20 is a standalone story and #21 is the start of the newest arc and it just came out in December.

LosDaddie

Banned
I have they wrap their shipments very well and shipping is six dollars flat even if you order more than book.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on a couple omnibus preorders (Uncanny Xmen vol#2 and Uncanny Xforce) then, and maybe a couple more, like the Inifinty Gauntlet omnibus recently announced.

I just didn't want to drop a couple bills on a shady/unknown website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom