• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was fun to read about Korupt's experience getting into Deathstroke and comics. Awe, story time with Comics-GAF. We should do that more often.

Also, just wanted to say that I don't think OGNs should be included in the monthly vote. Opens the field too wide and muddies the waters. How do you compare one complete story with one chapter of another story?

Messi

It was fun to read about Korupt's experience getting into Deathstroke and comics. Awe, story time with Comics-GAF. We should do that more often.

Also, just wanted to say that I don't think OGNs should be included in the monthly vote. Opens the field too wide and muddies the waters. How do you compare one complete story with one chapter of another story?

Yeah but its Empowered :(

BTW, Betty is the best new character of 2013.

I'm really lazy in that regard. If I see it in the store I just pick it up. I shouldn't I know. But I do.

Shame on you for supporting your local brick and mortar comic shops. You might keep them afloat so some poor kid can stroll in and discover the world's best hobby. Tsk, tsk.

Hey, Batman fiends! I need some advice. I want to buy a comic-curious friend one Batman volume. She thinks Batman is cool. And I want it to be from the New 52 because my secret wish is that she gets into current ongoing books.

So it's between Batman vol 1, Batman and Robin vol 1 or Batman Inc vol 1. I'd like something smart with good dialogue and humourous bits. Heart and a bit of depth doesn't hurt. Not just grinding angst. Ideally, it would feature some other cool Gotham characters, maybe female, even?

So of the three, what would you recommend to hit the most of these notes?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Shame on you for supporting your local brick and mortar comic shops. You might keep them afloat so some poor kid can stroll in and discover the world's best hobby. Tsk, tsk.

Hey, Batman fiends! I need some advice. I want to buy a comic-curious friend one Batman volume. She thinks Batman is cool. And I want it to be from the New 52 because my secret wish is that she gets into current ongoing books.

So it's between Batman vol 1, Batman and Robin vol 1 or Batman Inc vol 1. I'd like something smart with good dialogue and humourous bits. Heart and a bit of depth doesn't hurt. Not just grinding angst. Ideally, it would feature some other cool Gotham characters, maybe female, even?

So of the three, what would you recommend to hit the most of these notes?

Batman and Robin 1, dawg. Hits every point on your list except female characters, unless you wanted to buy later volumes, or the current arc which has a very cool, new female character.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batman and Robin, it hits all your points minus female characters.

If you wanted to get regular old Batman, you'd need to get the first two volumes anyway.

Batman and Robin easily.

Batman and Robin 1, dawg. Hits every point on your list except female characters, unless you wanted to buy later volumes, or the current arc which has a very cool, new female character.

Batman and Robin, it hits all your points minus female characters.

If you wanted to get regular old Batman, you'd need to get the first two volumes anyway.

Super helpful, thanks guys. It's what I was thinking, too, based on what y'all have said about B & R in the past. And it's nice to know there's a good female character down the line.

weddingjigsaw.jpg

So, that teaser image of a wedding that was posted is apparently the first of a series. Newsarama said that CBR also got an "jigsaw" image of their own, which fits with the one they got.

the Scott Koblish artwork screams Deadpool, and if Starfox and Devil Dinosaur is there, its gotta be something silly.

Or this is all throwing us off from The Adventures of Devil Dinosaur ongoing

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wonder who's getting married. You guys want to bet on it or something? Considering everyone who is showing up it's gonna be Cap or something along those lines.

Ephidel

Wonder who's getting married. You guys want to bet on it or something? Considering everyone who is showing up it's gonna be Cap or something along those lines.
Unless Cap is marrying Thor I can't see why all the Norse Gods would bother showing up.
Unless he's marrying an X-Man I can't see why all the X-Men would, nor the Brits or Canadians.
I can't actually see Cap, Thor, or Wolverine. Maybe it's a polygamous wedding :p

I was going to say Thor and Rogue actually (would account for most X-Folks, Avengers, Brits, and Norse Gods), but I don't know it would really account for all the space farers, and even if she ain't so dead it looks like she might be in the audience between Storm and Havok.

Abyss doesn't seem to be standing with Ex Nihilo, and she flirted with Thor like, once right? Maybe her!
(Could at a stretch account for space farers based on new cosmic significance, not so sure about the X-Men. Even if some of them showed up to be nice, I can't see Cyke's lot caring either way).

(Actually, does it have to be a wedding? Could it be the Watchers funeral sendoff?)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unless Cap is marrying Thor I can't see why all the Norse Gods would bother showing up.
Unless he's marrying an X-Man I can't see why all the X-Men would, nor the Brits or Canadians.
I can't actually see Cap, Thor, or Wolverine. Maybe it's a polygamous wedding :p

I was going to say Thor and Rogue actually (would account for most X-Folks, Avengers, Brits, and Norse Gods), but I don't know it would really account for all the space farers, and even if she ain't so dead it looks like she might be in the audience between Storm and Havok.

Abyss doesn't seem to be standing with Ex Nihilo, and she flirted with Thor like, once right? Maybe her!
(Could at a stretch account for space farers based on new cosmic significance, not so sure about the X-Men. Even if some of them showed up to be nice, I can't see Cyke's lot caring either way).

Thor/Rogue makes a fair amount of sense I suppose. Whoever it is will be someone big, Cap could draw all the cosmic guys after Infinity I think.

I went to the comic book store the other day for the first time in forever. Picked up some Daredevil, Young Avengers, and Scarlet Spider issues, i'm sure i'm missing a couple. once I pick up the missing issues, i'm done with pulling singles for the time being. It's kinda liberating not having to worry about books piling up in your pull.

Anyway. I finally got around to finishing Selina's Big Score by Brubaker/Cooke. It's a good ass caper crime comic, Cooke is really a top-tier storyteller. I've got the first of his Parker books lying around here, gonna get to that after i read the rest of this Catwoman stuff.

frye

Selina's Big Score is just Cooke fyi. In hindsight, that book is kind of his audition for the Parker adaptations, so it'll probably be a fun transition.

Vibranium

Banned
must be improtant beacsue rom spaceknight showed up.( above goilith)

JIGSAW-600x384.jpg

Sam Alexander is getting married to Nick Fury Jr. in an attempt to make both characters not horrible and shoehorned. Plus Marvel will get extra points for diversity!

Kill Junior and Alexander NOW Alonso

Selina's Big Score is just Cooke fyi. In hindsight, that book is kind of his audition for the Parker adaptations, so it'll probably be a fun transition.

oh right, thanks.

i don't know why i put these books off for so long. hell, all of my books. quitting floppies is pretty easy considering my stupid big backlog.

Anyone able to say for sure if Secret #4 did in fact come out in December or not? Image's site claims it came out on the 17th, but I can't find photographic evidence nor can I spot any review.s It is entirely possible critics aren't bothering to review the series though until it eventually wraps up. I remember when this was supposed to be Hickman's other big ongoing, alongside TMP. Along with Loose Ends #4, I feel like I'll be an old man before I can put those stories in my hands complete and read em.

EDIT: Had the bright idea to just check digitally, and it's on comixology so I guess it's a yes!

tim1138

Because I know everyone was waiting for a good jump on point for Aquaman, this month's issue (out today) starts Jeff Parker's run writing the book (Paul Pelletier is sticking around on art duties). Based on interviews I've read him, Parker has a lot of good stuff in the pipeline for Arthur and Mera.

I guess it happens before Apocalypse Now
with all three of the dead members being there.

They also invited D-Man, which ia a pretty nice gesture of them...

Didn't D-Man
get crazy and turned into the new Scourge and then died
? At least that's what Marvel wikia tells me lol.

There a lot of weird characters in that image and I have no single clue of who's is supposed to be marrying.

Because I know everyone was waiting for a good jump on point for Aquaman, this month's issue (out today) starts Jeff Parker's run writing the book (Paul Pelletier is sticking around on art duties). Based on interviews I've read him, Parker has a lot of good stuff in the pipeline for Arthur and Mera.
I don't like how he said that people lose interest in Arthur when he spends too much time underwater. It irks me. It is so misconstrued and myopic. V

Inhumanity, now that was a disappointing book. I see why Marvel did not want Fraction's Inhuman to see the light of day.

tim1138

I don't like how he said that people lose interest in Arthur when he spends too much time underwater. It irks me. It is so misconstrued and myopic. V

Prior to all the world building Johns did of the undersea world, I really don't disagree with that at all. Aquaman is tricky, you can't have him spend too much time on the surface or undersea, it's a fine line to walk. From everything I've read from Parker I think he's aware of that and is going to do the characters justice. I'm thrilled he's staying away from Orm and Manta for awhile to do some more personal stories.

ReiGun

Just got finished reading it and it's great. People who want more fun and adventure in their DC should check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom