• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Pledged is pledged. There's no turning back.

:D

Yo Yo Yo Yo.

Bruce Timm Spider-Gwen

ozlnO5F.jpeg

Bruce Timm the God

Nah man, disagree. Kay had really poignant interactions with all the characters she was in contact with. She got her powers like yesterday, so it was really understandable that she didn't really know what to do with them; even so, it was very telling of her character that the one thing she decides to do is
to destroy one of the oil refineries of the company she used to work for.

Also, it's not really fair to call her a damsel in distress when
Immortal Enemy wrecked everyone, including Aric who is supposed to be the Superman-tier hero.
In the scheme of things, the Geomancers are supposed to be some of the strongest powered beings in the Valiant universe and it's implied that Kay was really powerful. The circumstances just weren't in her favor. Rather than play into that, they
subvert what would be a typical ending for this kind of story, the super powerful inexperienced character learns to harness their strength and defeat the baddy, by instead killing her to better serve the narrative of the universe.

Gilad's a total jobber though. I like his concept, that he's supposed to have all these lifetimes of combat experience, but honestly, he just jobs it up. He's worse than Ninjak. At least Ninjak is funny and usually gets shit done.

Aint a subversion if it's established early on that that's what always happens, m8.
Plus, not being familiar with the character, all i saw was some pretty minor stuff by her. Book didn't translate her as being made of awesome, but as Yet Another Jobber.

But yes, Gillad was even more of a loser than ninjak. Gillad: getting his friends killed for millenia. At least ninjak, when introduced, managed to punk the visigoth.
Just feels that you got far more out of the event than me due to greater familiarity with the key players. Which is expected, obv.
I mean, i still have no proper idea of how stronk X-O or Armstrong are.

Aint a subversion if it's established early on that that's what always happens, m8.
Plus, not being familiar with the character, all i saw was some pretty minor stuff by her. Book didn't translate her as being made of awesome, but as Yet Another Jobber.

But yes, Gillad was even more of a loser than ninjak. Gillad: getting his friends killed for millenia. At least ninjak, when introduced, managed to punk the visigoth.
Just feels that you got far more out of the event than me due to greater familiarity with the key players. Which is expected, obv.
I mean, i still have no proper idea of how stronk X-O or Armstrong are.

Not so. Isn't the point of taking a single story in a long line of repeated events to show that this particular situation would be different? And even to that end, it was different for several reasons:
Bloodshot didn't exist in the previous encounters with the Immortal Enemy and they found a loophole to beat him, even if it was a bittersweet half-win.
I got the sense from the book that Kay was definitely not supposed to be a jobber; she's actually kind of OP after a read up a bit on the Geomancers.

I mean, I definitely feel like I got more out of it, but I really didn't know all that much about the key players at the time. Most of the ones I was familiar with at the time (Aric, the Harbingers/Renegades, A&A) were in the periphery; best I had on Bloodshot at the time was his involvement in Harbinger Wars. But, I was at least more into the universe at that point, even if only from the background characters.

I kind of regret recommending that one right off the bat. I just thought it read well on its own, but I suppose I was wrong.

Zombine

Banned
I'm pretty sure Timm has drawn that many times. He's not shy about hiding his lewdness.

Fun Fact: Timm got himself in trouble drawing DC characters in the buff in his one art book. They were forced to alter the book to remove the sketches and now the original goes for big bucks.

Not so. Isn't the point of taking a single story in a long line of repeated events to show that this particular situation would be different? And even to that end, it was different for several reasons:
Bloodshot didn't exist in the previous encounters with the Immortal Enemy and they found a loophole to beat him, even if it was a bittersweet half-win.
I got the sense from the book that Kay was definitely not supposed to be a jobber; she's actually kind of OP after a read up a bit on the Geomancers.

I mean, I definitely feel like I got more out of it, but I really didn't know all that much about the key players at the time. Most of the ones I was familiar with at the time (Aric, the Harbingers/Renegades, A&A) were in the periphery; best I had on Bloodshot at the time was his involvement in Harbinger Wars. But, I was at least more into the universe at that point, even if only from the background characters.

I kind of regret recommending that one right off the bat. I just thought it read well on its own, but I suppose I was wrong.

How did bloodshot change anything, tho?
His involvement, and that of errybody else, made no difference.
And no. The course for Kat's involvement was the same: gillad thought what he needed to beat the Big Bad was More Gun. Which, the story showed, he had tried before, with similar results. The reversal of expectations came at the very end, when he tried a different approach.

You shouldn't regret recommending it. Still got me interested and is a solid showing of the quality of the art and writing that one can expect from Team Valiant.

How did bloodshot change anything, tho?
His involvement, and that of errybody else, made no difference.
And no. The course for Kat's involvement was the same: gillad thought what he needed to beat the Big Bad was More Gun. Which, the story showed, he had tried before, with similar results. The reversal of expectations came at the very end, when he tried a different approach.

You shouldn't regret recommending it. Still got me interested and is a solid showing of the quality of the art and writing that one can expect from Team Valiant.

Well no,
Bloodshot didn't really change the outcome. I'm thinking if they had built a plan around his immunity to IE's fear nonsense, they might have had something going.
You're right, I take that one back.

The idea around the event, though, was always that Gilad would combine the powers of the Valiant universe to defeat the Immortal Enemy. There's no comparison between some early 14th century knights and people like Aric, Harada, or Peter. I mean, under normal circumstances, Harada or Peter could disintegrate any enemy in a second. Ivar could trap him in another century. In theory, some of this could have worked.

The Valiant is really my favorite thing the company has put out so far.

Hagi

Minus the Supergirl (I think?) sketches.

Minus all the comic related illustrations from the original print. Something to do with not wanting to pay license fees I think.

Anyone read Wolf yet? Want to know if it's worth picking up. How Kot is it on a scale of 1 to 10? I can handle about a 6 which is early Zero.

Books of the week now that I read them.

Gotham by Midnight is #1. If you are a fan of the XFiles and loved the monster of the week, This book is for you. If you liked Gotham Central, this book is for you. If you are a fan of the Spectre and not reading this, I don't know what's wrong with you. This book is fantastic.

JL3k1 is #2. Thank the heavens Tim and Co pushed this book on me because it is fantastic. Such a great, humorous, cape book. You can jump in at number 1 without reading the previous series, 3000. Issue 2 has a nice recap in there to explain everything.

Grayson is #3. It does not need to be sold anymore than it already has been.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Anyone read Wolf yet? Want to know if it's worth picking up. How Kot is it on a scale of 1 to 10? I can handle about a 6 which is early Zero.

It's excellent, and don't worry, there's no William S. Burroughs if that's your concern. It's his attempt at a Hellblazer-esque book and so far, it's perfectly on-point. Also, there's more character in the LA setting in that first issue than the entirety of this season of True Detective.

There's a scene on a bus that is one of my favorites of the year, easily.

Finished up Arkham Knight...ended up with 77 percent completion. Pretty much everything except the Riddler trophies and Militia-Batmobile cleanup bullshit.

I'd probably put it ahead of City but behind Asylum.
Gotta 100% for the true ending.
I'm pretty tempted too but my main concern is shelf space. Those library editions are too big!
Get more shelves
Sweet Jesus Christ In Heaven, the (kinda spoilery) Hellboyverse article we've all been waiting for thank Christ holy fuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkk
http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...rld-the-long-defeat-of-mike-mignolas-hellboy/
Well now...
:D

Yo Yo Yo Yo.

Bruce Timm Spider-Gwen

Bruce Timm the God
Love it
I think Secret Six is my favourite DC book of all time. So good.

Yeah, so, turns out (should have actually looked at the binding), it was volume two of Simone's run. So at some point I'll have to get the first volume but on the plus side, now when I do get the first then I can read a bunch of Simone's Secret Six all in a row.

I looked it up. 100% not worth the hassle of those Militia side missions.

The Militia missions are at least fun though. They're all basically just challenge missions: Batmobile battles, Batmobile chases, combat, and predator challenges. The Riddles are the real monster in that game. Storyline should have began and ended with
Catwoman

frye

Minus all the comic related illustrations from the original print. Something to do with not wanting to pay license fees I think.

Probably a 7 but with potential to up to at least an 11 with a few issues

MG310

Fun Fact: Timm got himself in trouble drawing DC characters in the buff in his one art book. They were forced to alter the book to remove the sketches and now the original goes for big bucks.

Were there 2 printings of the full size Naughty and Nice? I have one of those but the DC section is pretty much the only clothed section of the book though there is a rather lewd camera angle on black costume Mary Marvel.

I think the pocket one omitted the DC characters altogether.

tim1138

Wolf was fucking phenomenal, smartly written with fantastic art. But, since there's no lewd hijinks I can't imagine it interesting a lot of folks here.

Tizoc

Wolf was fucking phenomenal, smartly written with fantastic art. But, since there's no lewd hijinks I can't imagine it interesting a lot of folks here.

Hey man don't lump me with the likes of Freeza and Grand Harrier =/

I gotta ask
Did Messi lose a bet and is now forced to use a Ganguro/Kogal/Gyaru avatar?
Or is their avy from Wicked and Divine?

Messi

Being dismissive makes you seem real mature.

Hey man don't lump me with the likes of Freeza and Grand Harrier =/

I gotta ask
Did Messi lose a bet and is now forced to use a Ganguro/Kogal/Gyaru avatar?
Or is their avy from Wicked and Divine?

Shutter an amazing comic book that not enough people are reading.

I find it funny because a lot of people here bought wolf. Myself included and that kind of post helps no one and makes us seem more exclusionary.

I know. I haven't read Wolf, but I know a lot of people have talked about it already, plus it interests me a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom