• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Korra sogood.gif, but I think the first series is better overall.

And you have to do everything (even all the Riddler stuff) to unlock the full ending. Yup.
Yea. Avatar is better and of the greatest ever but after the season 2 misstep kora found its footing in the last two seasons. Varrick and Julie are so awesome.

And yea I've done the riddler tophies in the other two games but not motivated right now. Decided to YouTube the ending and move on.

Time to get to some comic reading backlog and continue my metal gear playthrough. Next up Peace walker. One of the games I haven't played yet.

Owzers

I think it's better to sniff a comic you then read in the shop than just walking down the sniffer's buffet line with random books.

And yea I've done the riddler tophies in the other two games but not motivated right now. Decided to YouTube the ending and move on.

Yeah, same. I just can't bother with 200+ Riddler trophies. I'm super excited about the art book for all three Rocksteady Batman games dropping this week.

TheStig88

And you have to do everything (even all the Riddler stuff) to unlock the full ending. Yup.
I think I got something like 65 over the course of the game. I just stared at the map for a good five minutes after finishing it and said "nope." Couldn't muster it in City either. Asylum was the perfect balance for my money.

Fucking Grandharriers man. Straight up reading stories in the shop. That's worse than sniffing imo.
My LCS shrink wraps them all and tags 'em for theft. They mean business I guess.

Finished off all sidequests (but those riddler tophies) and the main story of Arkham Knight. Also finished the last season of The Legend of Kora.

Great day.

If you want another cartoon try out Wakfu. It's on Netflix and it's really great. I'd recommend watching it in French with subtitles though since the dub is kinda ass. One of my friends got me into it and I loved it. The characters are all pretty great in their own ways, it has a seriously fantastic villain, and it has a really interesting world and nice art style.

Also comics related since it has comics that take place after the first two seasons. I really need to read them since I got them for backing the English Kickstarter.

Wonder when that CMX upgrade will launch where you can talk about comics

Well since our representative Isak Borg isn't there anymore, motherfucking NEVER

But anyway i actually did read a comic

tumblr_ngqcxppdxj1r63gjto1_400.jpg

2 women go on the run to escape their shitty surroundings (Margarine, a rich girl escaping an institution and Bon-Bon, leaving a relationship with a married man). It's not an unfamiliar story - they go to bars, encounter a bike gang, etc. - but it's very economic and Katie Skelly is a dope storyteller. it's rich in 60s motorcycle gang exploitation and psychedelia (apparently her first comic, Nurse Nurse, is even more of a trip and has less of a clear story) for inspirations. I very much enjoyed it!

TheStig88

If you want another cartoon try out Wakfu. It's on Netflix and it's really great. I'd recommend watching it in French with subtitles though since the dub is kinda ass. One of my friends got me into it and I loved it. The characters are all pretty great in their own ways, it has a seriously fantastic villain, and it has a really interesting world and nice art style.

Also comics related since it has comics that take place after the first two seasons. I really need to read them since I got them for backing the English Kickstarter.
Gotta vouch for Wakfu as well. For whatever reason I've yet to watch the second season, but the first was absolutely baller.

We buried him today. I couldn't say anything. I just couldn't find the words.
So sorry PsychBat. :(

styl3s

How is the quality of The Walking Dead HC books? I haven't read that far into the series but i have books 1-11 sitting in my amazon cart (#1-132) and i have been debating about pulling the trigger on them all day. I would do IST but they dont have one of the volumes and their shipping always takes 2 weeks and i really want to read through these while im off next week (if i were to buy them).

Zombine

Banned
How is the quality of The Walking Dead HC books? I haven't read that far into the series but i have books 1-11 sitting in my amazon cart (#1-132) and i have been debating about pulling the trigger on them all day. I would do IST but they dont have one of the volumes and their shipping always takes 2 weeks and i really want to read through these while im off next week (if i were to buy them).

Walking Dead is fucking stellar. If you're even considering buying them it means you have an interest in the series. Just do it. You'll really enjoy it.

tumblr_nphb9i6uMs1qksk74o1_500.gif

I can't speak on the quality of the HCs, but I would like to point out that it would be less expensive to buy the compendiums. But, barring that, I would say it's a good buy. I love TWD.

Messi

Hardcovers are great quality. If you have seen other image hardcovers before they are exactly like those . I have loved what I read. Get the hardcovers they looks sweet and are solid. I hated the compendiums, too big and hard to get comfortable.

styl3s

Walking Dead is fucking stellar. If you're even considering buying them it means you have an interest in zombies in general. Just do it. You'll really enjoy it.
Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day are my top 3 movies. I own them all in every format including betamax and laserdisc. My favorite is the japanese Dawn laserdisc.

The problem i am having is i have the 11 Walking Dead books in my amazon cart and 9 Invincible volumes in my IST and The Walking Dead ones is gonna run me almost $300 where as the Invincible will run me like $200. I won't go broke if i buy either but it's going to kill my non main pulls for the month and next month because i like to keep a tight budget.
I can't speak on the quality of the HCs, but I would like to point out that it would be less expensive to buy the compendiums. But, barring that, I would say it's a good buy. I love TWD.
The problem i have with those compendiums is that i hate non hardcover trades.

Why do you have to buy them all at once? I get 2 as I read them.
This will probably make me sound like a fucking maniac but if i don't get all the volumes at once it will literally keep me up at night and eat at my soul every time i walk into my home office and see 9 missing volumes. This is why i cannot buy floppies unless it's a current series and i can get all current issues.

Messi

Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day are my top 3 movies. I own them all in every format including betamax and laserdisc. My favorite is the japanese Dawn laserdisc.

The problem i am having is i have the 11 Walking Dead books in my amazon cart and 9 Invincible volumes in my IST and The Walking Dead ones is gonna run me almost $300 where as the Invincible will run me like $200. I won't go broke if i buy either but it's going to kill my non main pulls for the month and next month because i like to keep a tight budget.

Why do you have to buy them all at once? I get 2 as I read them.

I paid full retail on uncanny x-men volume 1 hardcover because the TPB was eating my fucking soul.

I hear you, I just thought I'd mention it. Image TPBs are usually top notch, though.

This will probably make me sound like a fucking maniac but if i don't get all the volumes at once it will literally keep me up at night and eat at my soul every time i walk into my home office and see 9 missing volumes. This is why i cannot buy floppies unless it's a current series and i can get all current issues.

Why not get the omnibus? They are hardcovers.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/IMA...OMNIBUS-HC-NEW-PTG-VOL-01-(OA)-(MR)/SEP110441

For a completed series, I can understand this feeling. But Walking dead is not complete. Just think of it as you do of floppies.

All or nothing. I'm the same way, otherwise I'll worry about the volumes I don't have selling out before I get them. The other option is to just buy digital.

Actually, I'm worse. I bought all the Walking Dead TPBs when I first got into the series (they were up to vol.13 at the time), then upgraded to hardcovers later.

#BallerGAF

Owzers

I have so many image vol 1s that will never see a vol 2.

Morning glories. I see you there.

They are building...namely Bedlam, you're done Bedlam. One day i'm going to sell them on ebay as a lot of first volumes/abandoned books.

Walking Dead and Invincible are two of my favorite ongoings and i don't think they will disappoint, but it's hard to recommend people buy everything of a book like that. What if you don't like it because all you want is more anime?

styl3s

Why not get the omnibus? They are hardcovers.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/IMA...OMNIBUS-HC-NEW-PTG-VOL-01-(OA)-(MR)/SEP110441

For a completed series, I can understand this feeling. But Walking dead is not complete. Just think of it as you do of floppies.
What's the different between them? If i order Omnibus 1-5 it's gonna run me like $30 more bucks. Are they bigger like the compendium? Because that thing seems difficult to read where as the HC seems like i could pop it out and read it easy peasy lemon squeezy

All or nothing. I'm the same way, otherwise I'll worry about the volumes I don't have selling out before I get them. The other option is to just buy digital.

Actually, I'm worse. I bought all the Walking Dead TPBs when I first got into the series (they were up to vol.13 at the time), then upgraded to hardcovers later.

#BallerGAF
I did that with Hawkeye. Got the Trades the HC came out then sold the trades now i learn the omnibus is coming BEFORE the 2nd HC so i sold my HC. Marvel starting to piss me off with this and all the reboots.

Just buy the regular Hardcovers. They're easier to handle and release more often.
I'll probably just do the HC. Are the walking dead HC's anything like the Chew Omnivore HC's? i love, love, love those.

What's the different between them? If i order Omnibus 1-5 it's gonna run me like $30 more bucks. Are they bigger like the compendium? Because that thing seems difficult to read where as the HC seems like i could pop it out and read it easy peasy lemon squeezy

Just buy the regular Hardcovers. They're easier to handle and release more often.

styl3s

Alright i ordered the HC's. I needed an excuse to not buy all these non-main Battleworld/Secret War books anways.

Looks like im just picking up Descender and Outcast this month.

Messi

I can't express how much I love the uniform dimensions of Image hardcovers.

If only their trades had the same standards :/. I love their trades but some of them are a small bit taller than the others or one volume to the next the spine is off by a bit. My Sunstone vol 1 and 2 spines are a slightly different shade of red to each other. My ravine trades vol 2 is taller , noticeably taller.

The Omnibuses are Absolute sized, like Messi mentioned.

Found a size comparison pic online. I annotated it with my excellent Photoshop MS Paint skills.

9cFalBD.png

Zombine

Banned

If you love the Romero films you enjoy these even more. It's just rock solid zombie media. If it makes you feel any better, next week I'm ordering 32 volumes of Berserk at once.

styl3s

The $268.24 i spent on those books is making me anxious, sick and happy.

If you love the Romero films you enjoy these even more. It's just rock solid zombie media. If it makes you feel any better, next week I'm ordering 32 volumes of Berserk at once.
I love me Romero i think i am gonna watch Dawn tonight. 32 volumes sounds like a lot of cash'ish

Ooh, hadn't realised Bandette was nominated for an Eisner this year. In a major category at that.

Are the Eisners like the Oscars? Any large scale lobbying required for wins?

Owzers

I bought one issue of Batman Year 100 and am debating if i liked it enough to buy the next 3 for a whole $3 more. You guys are buying entire series.

What's the most cost-effective way of getting those Berserk volumes? I've been wanting to read the series for some time.

I bought one issue of Batman Year 100 and am debating if i liked it enough to buy the next 3 for a whole $3 more. You guys are buying entire series.

Most I've spent on a series are the Starman omnibuses, mainly due to the out of print third volume. Worth every penny though.

But once Dark Horse catches up with their omnibuses, Usagi Yojimbo will end up costing me more than.

Ooh, hadn't realised Bandette was nominated for an Eisner this year. In a major category at that.

Are the Eisners like the Oscars? Any large scale lobbying required for wins?

I suppose they are like the Oscars, but comics are such a niche ass thing, with such a wide-range of comics coming out every year, with no real critical consensus, the nominees seem totally random(they nominated Cry for Justice once!!!), nobody does any campaigning or whatever, and they don't even stream the prize giving. You kinda find out second hand on Newsarama or Rich Johnston or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom