• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Now try imagining someone who own all volumes of One Piece, Naruto, and Encyclopedia Britannica.

Edit: and every volume of Goosebumps

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Would you guys reccomend the Prophet reboot pretty highly? It looks insane, very Moebius style to what I've seen so far but is it like a John Carter of Mars kind of story?

Just finished book 5 of 6 of Swamp Thing. That was amazing and probably the grandest of his adventures so far. It ended with him being "blue" and decided he ain't about that life. Time to jump to book 6.

Just finished book 5 of 6 of Swamp Thing. That was amazing and probably the grandest of his adventures so far. It ended with him being "blue" and decided he ain't about that life. Time to jump to book 6.

Space Swamp Thing times. Alan Moore re-did the origin story, revisited the rival antagonist, hit all the horror tropes with werewolves/vampires/zombies, did a huge story that basically created the DC supernatural universe as we know it, then was like "welp...bored of this Earth stuff now, lets go to spaceeeeeeeeee"

I love One Piece too. I even own two figures and one of the Japanese artbooks!

I own a Chopper Figuarts Zero figure and a Luffy mini-figure. If I were to get one more though, it would be this Nico Robin one from Strong World:

f08U6Oj.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032V1WEM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Maybe this Brook to:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BDE7V6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Just imagine people that own all 70+ volumes of One Piece or Naruto.

Just imagine someone that has all volumes of Golgo 13. All 176 of them. And all 121 of Grappler Baki. On top of all 113 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. And all 110 of Hajime no Ippo.

And every single one of those is ongoing.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Spent my 4th getting the Platinum on Arkham Knight, didn't think I'd ever get 15 different moves in one combo. So relieving when it popped. Now there's bbq. Yay America.

And Psych, I'm so sorry to hear about the puppy. That's so rough.

Just imagine someone that has all volumes of Golgo 13. All 176 of them. And all 121 of Grappler Baki. On top of all 113 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. And all 110 of Hajime no Ippo.

Good lawdy. I see plenty of pictures of people who have bookcase after bookcase full of manga. It looks all nice and organized since each series has uniform spines, but ALLLL THAT MONEEEEEEEEEY down the drain.

Spent my 4th getting the Platinum on Arkham Knight, didn't think I'd ever get 15 different moves in one combo. So relieving when it popped. Now there's bbq. Yay America.

oh god, you actually did all of the Riddler trophies? I just finished up the last side mission outside of the Riddler stuff, and I think I'm just going to finish the story. I can't run around collecting all those Riddler trophies. I can't I can't I can't.

arkon

Would you guys reccomend the Prophet reboot pretty highly? It looks insane, very Moebius style to what I've seen so far but is it like a John Carter of Mars kind of story?

If you like strange sci-fi stories then yes. It's not for everyone but it really captured my imagination. I loved seeing what cool new concepts they'd throw out there in each successive issue. Also introduced me to some cool artists whose work I've been following since. Check out issue 21 on comixology for a taste of what to expect. It's only $0.99 / 69p !

frye

What makes Prophet an interesting comic for me is not necessarily what *happens* in it (though I do find that plenty cool), but rather the creative process that goes into making it. Ostensibly, it's Graham functioning as a kind of showrunner (a la television) working with/overseeing several artists to create His Vision but in practice it's a comic where you can hear every individual creator's voice. Every person who works on that book has a hand in the art as well as the story. I've always felt the "jam" comic was great in theory but rarely if ever done in a way I found satisfying until Prophet.

Prophet was sold as "Conan in Space," and it's kind of like that, for 3 issues? It becomes very hard to properly describe after that but you'll know if you dig it fairly early on

What makes Prophet an interesting comic for me is not necessarily what *happens* in it (though I do find that plenty cool), but rather the creative process that goes into making it. Ostensibly, it's Graham functioning as a kind of showrunner (a la television) working with/overseeing several artists to create His Vision but in practice it's a comic where you can hear every individual creator's voice. Every person who works on that book has a hand in the art as well as the story. I've always felt the "jam" comic was great in theory but rarely if ever done in a way I found satisfying until Prophet.

Prophet was sold as "Conan in Space," and it's kind of like that, for 3 issues? It becomes very hard to properly describe after that but you'll know if you dig it fairly early on

That reminds me, did you pick up 8House #1?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
oh god, you actually did all of the Riddler trophies? I just finished up the last side mission outside of the Riddler stuff, and I think I'm just going to finish the story. I can't run around collecting all those Riddler trophies. I can't I can't I can't.

That part wasn't so bad. I just threw some Bob's Burgers on Netflix and banged it out. After the main ones they're all just "go to this place and figure out a short puzzle". Worst was getting all the stars on the AR challenges but luckily the Scarecrow missions count for it and we're wicked easy.

Wiktor

Only 2 issues in but I'm in love with Ben Percys and Patrick Zirchers Green Arrow. Only 2 issues and I think it's better than Lemires Green Arrow.

Yeah. DC struck gold with this team-up. I hope they will stay on this comics for years. GA deserves another legendary run and it's been decades since it got one (I loved Lemire's run, but it was so damn short it never realized most of it's potential)

Man, nobody posts lists anymore. Imma post a list right now, yo.

Batman #42
Catwoman #42
Gotham Academy #8
Starfire #2
Saga #30
Shutter #13
Walking Dead #144
Archie #1

Messi

Heavy ass marvel week:

Batman 42
Catwoman 42
Earth 2 society 2
Gotham Academy 8
Starfire 2

Black Science 16
Descender 5
Injection 3
Pisces 3
Saga 30
Shutter 13

1872 1
Age of Apocalypse 1
Renew your vows 2
Civil War 1
Inferno 3
Ms Deadpool and the howling commandos 2
Runaways 2
Spider island 1
Secret Wars 2099 3
Spiderverse 3

Archie 1

Zombine

Banned

Imagine someone who owns all of that and every episode of I Love Lucy on VHS
like I do

Zombine

Banned
Saw it talked about so figured its best to mention the walking dead compendium 3 is up for pre order now.

The compendiums are nice gifts to people who want to read Walking Dead but aren't super into it yet. They're wicked sturdy and there isn't any noticeable page loss.

Zombine

Banned
Comics & Cola has a solid interview with Stokoe that has a bunch of new Orc Stain pages

http://www.comicsandcola.com/2015/07/an-interview-with-james-stokoe-need-and.html

Stokoe's honesty and DIY attitude is definitely refreshing to read here. He's a great example of someone who by all means shouldn't be even a quarter as successful as he is, but through his own will and distinct art style made it to the point where he's just famous enough to pay the bills and do what he wants, and he's ok with that.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #10
STARFIRE #2

AGE OF APOCALYPSE #1
CIVIL WAR #1
INFERNO #3
RUNAWAYS #2
SECRET WARS 2099 #3
SPIDER-VERSE #3
SQUADRON SINISTER #2

Savitar

The compendiums are nice gifts to people who want to read Walking Dead but aren't super into it yet. They're wicked sturdy and there isn't any noticeable page loss.

I get them and that's even though I've read the Walking Dead for a long time.

In fact it's kinda funny to look back at when this book was first beginning to get noticed by some as a good zombie title long before talk of TV shows and the whole zombie thing took off.

Sorta unreal really.

If I want to get into The Punisher, MoonKnight and read more about Gambit, where do I go to?

I'm using the comiXology app.
For punisher you have two great runs. There's ennis Punisher Max series

And there's Ruckas Punisher run that is also great. I love how Rucka turned him into Big boss. But I'd say Punisher Max is the definitive run

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
they're right - PunisherMAX and Ellis' 6 issue Moon Knight run are the bee's knees

Rucks'a Punisher run is dope but I'd read MAX & Moon Knight first

Ex Machina was SO GOOD. I really should have found the time to watch it at the cinema at least 457 times.

i'm reading Alex + Ada right now, and it makes me want to finally watch Ex Machina & Her ASAP

Pachimari

I have bought:

Alias #1 by Brian Michael Bendis
Inhumans #1 by Paul Jenkins
Daredevil #1 by Frank Miller
The Immortal Iron Fist #1 by Ed Brubaker / Matt Fraction

I'll get these next:

MoonKnight #1 by Warren Ellis
Ms. Marvel #1 by G. Willow Wilson

It's six individual issue-long stories. It's not comprehensive, but it's easy to get into and a very entertaining read.

Oh that sounds pretty neat. I would be into that. I think what I actually meant is how complete the arc is, but if they're individual stories that sounds like fun. I'll have to grab it.

I have bought:

I'll get these next:

yo those are a lot of good runs to only get 1 issue of lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I have bought:

I'll get these next:

All-Star reading list right there b

Batman 42
Saga 30
Walking Dead 144
1872 1
Age of Apocalypse 1
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows 2
Civil War 1
Ghost Racers 2
Master of Kung Fu 3
Runaways 2
Spider-Island 1
Spider-Verse 3
Squadron Sinister 2
Invader Zim 1

On the fence: They're Not Like Us, Vol. 1. Anybody been reading this? Kind of a big week so I think I'll probably skip it.

Gotham Academy and Starfire are the only must-buys for me this week. I might get Archie if I hear it's good.

Batmanga volume 2 is out this week too :O

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
err...Alias #1 is amazing

but its Bendis

now what? :eek:

I dont actually mind Bendis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom