• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Sandfox

And there’s still so much more to come; we’ve merely scratched the surface with a few words, a few teases, and a few dazzling quotes. Sit tight for in the coming weeks, there will be more exciting announcements devoted to Marvel Legacy featuring all the epic new entry level story arcs, the dynamic creative teams, the legacy numbering guides, the returns, the searches, the battles, the foes, and dynamic new nostalgia based promotions guaranteed to drive all fans into comic shops. This fall, get ready to cheer Make Mine Marvel!
SDCC will be interesting.

It's easy to judge other people's reactions when you yourself are not offended. If you are not part of a group of people that are a target of violence in your country. And then seeing the horror of that real life danger drawn out for others entertainment. Instead of judging those people's feelings, maybe try to be empathetic. Try to understand why people would be offended instead of coldly rolling your eyes.

I share your thoughts when it comes to stuff like this so need say no more.

PS. King crafted a really cool Elmer Fudd/Batman story didn't he?
It is a really disgusting and tone deaf cover. I can understand why people are really upset that a company that was suppose to make comics for everyone decided to print it. Everything I've heard about the book is that it's basically Holy Terror 2.0.

Owzers

Yes, what?

People with agendas are considered fucking annoying by me. Its fine to dislike stuff. Its fine when someone like Freeza says that all Marvel books are shit, because I know that he at least tried some, but if you beside reading Bleeding Cool only read one book and also act like the worst killjoy, you are annoying.

And if you all want, come at me and call me a fanboy, despite beeing also unhappy with many things and the worst thing said about DC beeing that King is a amateur when its coming to arc titles.
The worst killjoy is the fabulous lives of the Killjoys.

I share your thoughts when it comes to stuff like this so need say no more.

PS. King crafted a really cool Elmer Fudd/Batman story didn't he?
Imagine putting a book out that contains the murder of a trans sex worker because the writer wanted to use old tired trope of 'trans women are devils looking to deceive you.

Imagine being the publisher of that book and marketing yourself as a progressive publisher which includes publishing a Pride variant of that book.

Now if it were some regular trash book from Avatar, I doubt anyone would care. But wrapping yourself in rainbow colors and then putting out a book that relies on tired transphobic tropes for shock value, well, it stinks of hypocrisy.

Now, the statement that was supposed to address criticism from that scene was some tone deaf shit from the publisher which boiled down to 'were doing great! It's going to a second printing!'

The solicits for #4 came out along with that tasteless cover and some people have had enough of Image avoiding responsibility so they've decided to boycott the publisher. Now, thats a different line than what I have but then again there's not a huge history of Mexicans only being depicted as sex slaughter fodder for shock value in comics.

You may think it's a little much but its their money, time and attention. To keep it in perspective, remember you wanted to effectively boycott this thread because we didn't talk enough about DC to your liking.

I don't get angry about all the non-stop piling on Marvel, but it is boring. There are so many great comics out there, I don't know why people don't direct their attention, y'know, towards that.

Like Black Hammer. Go read Black Hammer and be happy.

Yes! I meant to respond the other day lol, I should brace myself for Royal City right? It's going to bring the feels. I kind of love following his different series in real time though because you can see the intermingling ideas and different angles he's looking at them with each book. His new one coming up is literally called Family Tree too haha

Yes! I meant to respond the other day lol, I should brace myself for Royal City right? It's going to bring the feels. I kind of love following his different series in real time though because you can see the intermingling ideas and different angles he's looking at them with each book. His new one coming up is literally called Family Tree too haha

Yeah, it's fun to follow a writer's work as it's being released. To see them try different things. I feel as though Lemire is masterful with Black Hammer. It feels like something special to me.

Royal City is a wait-and-see. Which, honestly, isn't a great sign. When I love Lemire, like with Sweet Tooth, it's usually an immediate omg reaction. I was waiting-to-see with Trillium and X-Men and didn't really enjoy either too much.

But we shall see. Lemire gets a long rope with me. I'm happy to support him.

When he first heard they were killing off Wolverine he was adamant it was happening in Age of Ultron and ran it into the ground in every AoU article. Then nothing happened till around a year later.
Well, Wolverine was technically killed in AoU, so he wasn't technically wrong
I hope Wolverine, Cyclops and Xaiver stay dead a while longer. These characters had the spotlight for way too long.
Wolverine and Xavier, yes. Cyclops, I feel like, wasn't properly built off of at the end of Bendis' run. I would've liked to see Cyclops course-correct after his failed "revolution." Instead, he got the Phoenix and then murdered by Doom. Then after Battleworld, he just died to the Terrigen Cloud.

VanWinkle

Comics are so great. I love all the things they can say and do and show, I love the passion and the reactions they can get. Very cool medium. I literally never looked at or followed ANYTHING comics related (except comic movies) until June 2015. This is a whole new world for me.

Ever since House of M, the editors of Marvel seem to hate the X-Men, but the writers try and make them out to be the ones on the right side in every event.

Owzers

Heyyyy i was going to read Death of X. Can't we talk about Image boycotts and leave books i read half a year later out of it?

It's the same editors and everything. It's just that they pushed the extinction idea for too long.

Yep. It feels like they went back to the barrel when it came to story ideas for the X-Men. They were on to something when they had the split with Wolverine and Cyclopes, but then that went away when AvX happened.

It is a really disgusting and tone deaf cover. I can understand why people are really upset that a company that was suppose to make comics for everyone decided to print it. Everything I've heard about the book is that it's basically Holy Terror 2.0.

I had no problems with the controversial Batgirl variant cover and Milo Manara's Spider Woman cover but this was too much.

Imagine putting a book out that contains the murder of a trans sex worker because the writer wanted to use old tired trope of 'trans women are devils looking to deceive you.

These are all valid points, but at the same time ya'll seem to be expecting Chaykin not to be Chaykin, and that makes me lol a little.

Messi

Well, I know that cover would have never seen the light of day with any other publisher. Not even in solicits. I'm just curious what the thought process was that made them say "sure, looks fine!"

I'm including the content of the book in my disappointment about image.

I'm including the content of the book in my disappointment about image.

Seemed like it was pretty standard Chaykin to me. Trying to be edgy and shit. In fact, I was kind of surprised how good Satellite Sam was, but that was definitely Fraction's influence keeping Chaykin on a leash.

Vic_Viper

Thought Astonishing X-Men was coming out this week :( Not sure why I thought that but I was looking for it and its listed as July 19th. I might have to start pulling it each month if its as good as Marvel is hyping it up to be. Wasnt sold on Soule until I started reading his DD run.

I just bought and read the first issue of this controversial comic. Couldn't even finish it and just skimmed the last few pages. Another comic trying to be controversial and "adult" by showing blood, gore, tits and dick. Another comic trying to be sophisticated and intellectual by being "adult". This "adult" material just comes off as childish. It's the shock rock of the comic world.

I still stand by my original thinking though. I hate when groups, be it the majority or the minority try to get "entertainment" censored, pulled, etc. If there is an audience for something in the entertainment world, let that audience have their product.

I just bought and read the first issue of this controversial comic. Couldn't even finish it and just skimmed the last few pages. Another comic trying to be controversial and "adult" by showing blood, gore, tits and dick. Another comic trying to be sophisticated and intellectual by being "adult". This "adult" material just comes off as childish. It's the shock rock of the comic world.

I still stand by my original thinking though. I hate when groups, be it the majority or the minority try to get "entertainment" censored, pulled, etc. If there is an audience for something in the entertainment world, let that audience have their product.

Effie-Trinket-GIF-1415032552.gif

Sandfox

Thought Astonishing X-Men was coming out this week :( Not sure why I thought that but I was looking for it and its listed as July 19th. I might have to start pulling it each month if its as good as Marvel is hyping it up to be. Wasnt sold on Soule until I started reading his DD run.
His Vader book is supposedly really good as well. I still need to check out Curse Words.

Been reading the beginning of some stuff from DC Rebirth stuff with some TPBs and this probably the first time of my life that I'm more on the DC camp than the Marvel one.

I've read Superman, Action Comics and Deathstroke vol. 1s. I also got Aquaman since Panini decided to release it directly as a tpb. What are the other hot things?

I have some Marvel stuff to go through later (Spider-Man/Deadpool, Contest Of Champions) but I was really bored with Waid's Avengers, I expected a lot more (And I don't even know why).

Messi

Been reading the beginning of some stuff from DC Rebirth stuff with some TPBs and this probably the first time of my life that I'm more on the DC camp than the Marvel one.

I've read Superman, Action Comics and Deathstroke vol. 1s. I also got Aquaman since Panini decided to release it directly as a tpb. What are the other hot things?

I have some Marvel stuff to go through later (Spider-Man/Deadpool, Contest Of Champions) but I was really bored with Waid's Avengers, I expected a lot more (And I don't even know why).

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Green Arrow
Super Sons

tim1138

These

Detective Comics
Wonder Woman
Green Arrow
Super Sons

plus Green Lanterns and New Super-Man.

Top Bottom