• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

No idea in 616 is original. "Let's form a team of heroes to take on Loki! I think we should be the Avengers!", "We'll be protecting Earth and humanity from the shadows like a SHIELD!", "I sold my soul to the devil! I'll be a Ghost Rider!"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
No idea in 616 is original. "Let's form a team of heroes to take on Loki! I think we should be the Avengers!", "We'll be protecting Earth and humanity from the shadows like a SHIELD!", "I sold my soul to the devil! I'll be a Ghost Rider!"
Guess what, Stan Lee never made a secret out of this.
Ever fucking time someone writes a piece about Marvel origins, they have the quote with the adaptions of stuff

Sounds like what they did with Shield.

Hey, I remember when Hickman did that with a SHIELD book, and it was great, and then Marvel sat on the last five issues while they continued to release their usual drivel. Oh, wait, that's still happening.

JINX

Basically. I haven't read his SHIELD though. Just Secret Warriors.
Guess what, Stan Lee never made a secret out of this

I mean, he made the X-Men so he didn't have to worry about origins anymore. But Stan Lee has tried to play it up in interviews like he was trying to develop complex mythology. I'll try to find it, but there's an interview where he tried to make Galactus seem way more complex on a mythological level, and Kirby was like, "I needed to pay bills and we needed a new bad guy."

Read his SHIELD series. It has some interesting ideas about how the SHIElD was formed.

You should, if you get the chance. Great story, beautiful art. And Da Vinci bangs a monster lady.

I would, but knowing that there's a final issue out there and hasn't been released or collected at all discourages me. It'd be one thing if it was a cancelled/unfinished run, but this a run that's finished and has never been fully released and/or collected. It's extremely discouraging.

I meant in the "nothing in the present time is actually the first time it has happened" way since we're getting old Avengers etc which makes Janet and pals forming a team called the Avengers pretty minor.

Not really. I would say it would still be a pretty big deal. This 1,000,000 BC Avengers exists, do they call themselves the Avengers? If they don't, then this is just a buzzword to attract attention to the story. If the 1,000,000 BC Avengers actually called themselves the Avengers, now that's something interesting, because Odin is connected to Thor, so does that mean the others are also connected to the original team somehow? If so, how? Is this foreshadowing for a new team (Dr. Strange, Thor, Black Panther, Jean Grey)? Have there been more teams in between the original one as we know and this weird, primordial god team?

I'm interested.
Jason Aaron stealing more Grant Morrison ideas.

Are you referring to the whole "Weapon X is actually Weapon 10"?

Pachimari

I'm super curious as to how long it'll take to read through all 133 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm currently at issue 15 and have never completed a whole series. I really like it so far, and is super invested in it, so I could imagine myself going through it all.

Mafro

I'm really looking forward to seeing the creative team for the Avengers relaunch and what the roster is. If the story is going to have a more cosmic focus because of Infinity War then I'd love to see Ewing on it after the good job he's done on Ultimates, and that's basically felt like the "proper" Avengers book since the post-Secret Wars relaunch anyway. I'm guessing team will just basically be the movie line-up plus Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

Eh, Baby Driver wasn't that great. Should have stayed in and read more comics.

Though the Batman Zero Hour trade I am reading is not much better. The Moench issues are a slog. The Robin issue (Dixon) wasn't that bad. Catwoman was unintentionally funny.

Sandfox

I'm curious to see what Aaron's got planned. He's been playing with the past Avengers stuff for a while and the one-shot is supposed to setup the return of classic characters.

Gotta take Johnston with a grain of salt, of course, but nothing he's posted today about Legacy seems implausible given how inept the rollout has been.

Gotta take Johnston with a grain of salt, of course, but nothing he's posted today about Legacy seems implausible given how inept the rollout has been.
On the day the gifs got posted a bunch of artists had to send emails to sites because their names weren't in the PR from Marvel for the covers.

Mafro

He's shoe-horning in the "Waid & Samnee on Captain America, followed by Coates" into what seems like every Legacy-related article now. Funny if it turns out to be wrong.

Sandfox

He's shoe-horning in the "Waid & Samnee on Captain America, followed by Coates" into what seems like every Legacy-related article now. Funny if it turns out to be wrong.

If he's right Rich will mention so in every Legacy related article no matter subject and if he's wrong he'll come up with an excuse to explain why he shouldn't be considered wrong.

tkscz

Jesus that's a lot of buy less Marvel. So then, what is Legacy? I've heard tid bits but I missed out on the news. So far all I'm hearing is that it was supposed to be like DC's Rebirth where it continues the same timeline but starts harking back to the way characters used to be before large changes. Even bringing back some long gone characters. However, they failed to deliver and still put a lot of focus on non-legacy characters.

Mafro

If he's right Rich will mention so in every Legacy related article no matter subject and if he's wrong he'll come up with an excuse to explain why he shouldn't be considered wrong.
When he first heard they were killing off Wolverine he was adamant it was happening in Age of Ultron and ran it into the ground in every AoU article. Then nothing happened till around a year later.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Comic Threads are the worst shit at this board. And this one would be to if it were not for the ignore function.
Man, how much energy some people can spend because "they dont like the marketing" of a company.

tim1138

Comic Threads are the worst shit at this board. And this one would be to if it were not for the ignore function.
Man, how much energy some people can spend because "they dont like the marketing" of a company.

image.php

Sandfox

When he first heard they were killing off Wolverine he was adamant it was happening in Age of Ultron and ran it into the ground in every AoU article. Then nothing happened till around a year later.

When he was wrong about the Fantastic Three thing he said it was Marvel's fault lol.

And with the X-Men tv series he spun that into something as well.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes, what?

People with agendas are considered fucking annoying by me. Its fine to dislike stuff. Its fine when someone like Freeza says that all Marvel books are shit, because I know that he at least tried some, but if you beside reading Bleeding Cool only read one book and also act like the worst killjoy, you are annoying.

And if you all want, come at me and call me a fanboy, despite beeing also unhappy with many things and the worst thing said about DC beeing that King is a amateur when its coming to arc titles.

dh4niel

I hope Wolverine, Cyclops and Xaiver stay dead a while longer. These characters had the spotlight for way too long.

I don't get angry about all the non-stop piling on Marvel, but it is boring. There are so many great comics out there, I don't know why people don't direct their attention, y'know, towards that.

Like Black Hammer. Go read Black Hammer and be happy.

Mafro

I hope Wolverine, Cyclops and Xaiver stay dead a while longer. These characters had the spotlight for way too long.
I hope Cyclops stays dead for a long, long time, but I kinda feel like they need people like Xavier and Wolverine back if they are going to do another big line-wide relaunch. It would probably be a good time to get rid of the time-displaced X-men too who have long overstayed their welcome.

Top Bottom