• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Vic_Viper

When does Marvel usually start announcing which books will be getting the Deluxe HC version? The only ones I see coming up are the Doctor Strange Vol 1 HC, Amazing Spider-man Vol 2 and Thor Vol 2. Any chance they will do one for Soule's Daredevil? Any chance Extraordinary X-Men or Old Man Logan will get something similar?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
When does Marvel usually start announcing which books will be getting the Deluxe HC version? The only ones I see coming up are the Doctor Strange Vol 1 HC, Amazing Spider-man Vol 2 and Thor Vol 2. Any chance they will do one for Soule's Daredevil? Any chance Extraordinary X-Men or Old Man Logan will get something similar?
Once a quarter. Next announcement is july/august

*Marvel announces Runaways*

Fans:

YLCchNH.gif

*Marvel announces writer*

Fans:

XbbwYUe.gif

Sandfox

*Marvel announces Runaways*

Fans:

YLCchNH.gif

*Marvel announces writer*

Fans:

XbbwYUe.gif
There are some fans fearful that she will be end up pulling an America solely because she is a YA writer, but that's about it from what I've seen. Though I tend to ignore certain sites for various reasons.

Wanderer5

On the flipside, I only watched BvS once and it almost killed me.

Heh. I see there is some criticism regarding Wonder Woman's third act, but if it least better than BvS's third act, I'll take it. I was actually digging BvS quite a bit beforehand, but then yeesh.

Nudull

Banned
I mean, with the baggage Rowell had with some folks on top of what happened with America, you'd think Marvel would do their research a little more.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, with the baggage Rowell had with some folks on top of what happened with America, you'd think Marvel would do their research a little more.

From what I can tell, for every one person that thinks she might be racist, there's 99 who absolutely love her.

I mean, she might still be racist, but I feel like the baggage isn't that big of a weight.

I read like, 3 volumes of Bloodshot today lol. I would read USA if I had the time, but I'll need to crash soon.

Vol 2 dropped a little from The Valiant and Vol 1. I really like Guice and he put in good work, but I just really like & prefer the other artists they've went for, and I think the book suits an artist who's going to bring a realistic gritty feel but that is cinematic and larger than life for the crazier, more visceral scenes. Also, I appreciate the way he refocuses the initial quest for the nanomachines in vol 1 as this race against time road trip before a serial killer can accumulate them first I thought that aspect of the arc could have been a bit more exciting and mysterious. When the identity is unvealed it is pretty awesome, and I can see why it probably held Lemire back from being able to have Bloodshot get too close until the end but it would have been nice to have seen some closer calls of Ray hot on the killer's heels. It protects the suspension of belief (well, whatever that means in a book like this lol) but it mutes it a little.

Vol 3 + 4, The Analog Man & Bloodshot Island, just go deep in and it's really exciting crazy edge of your seat action, backed up with some cool twists and turns. What I really love about this series though is that through all 4 volumes, tonal shifts and plot beats, Lemire keeps Ray right at the centre. Whether it's with his manifestation of Ray's psychosis, his budding relationship with Magic or even just bonding with a dog (bloodhound!), he constantly finds different ways and perspectives to shine a light on Ray's progression from those last moments in The Valiant. It's pretty compelling stuff, and you can't really help but root for Ray, even if it's probably all going to end in disaster or some new horror. Larosa & Suayan with David Baron to keep the visuals consistent just obliterate these two arcs as well, just tons of crazy moments and striking panels but totally able to capture the quieter emotional beats.

So yea, cool series. Interested to see how it all ends with USA, even if I kind of have a vague idea from covers where Salvation is going.

EDIT: Oh and one thought I meant to add, I totally forgot. One thing I love about Bloodshot Reborn is it really does feel like a modernised 90s comic book. Please read that in a good way but you feel it's roots and you can see the book it would have been in 95/96, but instead of just being all guns and pouches, it's this thoughtful character centric piece with really interesting psychological stuff....and guns and pouches!

I read like, 3 volumes of Bloodshot today lol. I would read USA if I had the time, but I'll need to crash soon.

Vol 2 dropped a little from The Valiant and Vol 1. I really like Guice and he put in good work, but I just really like & prefer the other artists they've went for, and I think the book suits an artist who's going to bring a realistic gritty feel but that is cinematic and larger than life for the crazier, more visceral scenes. Also, I appreciate the way he refocuses the initial quest for the nanomachines in vol 1 as this race against time roadtrip before a serial killer can accumulate them first I thought that aspect of the arc could have been a bit more exciting and mysterious. When the identity is unvealed it is pretty awesome, and I can see why it probably held Lemire back from being able to have Bloodshot get too close until the end but it would have been nice to have seen some closer calls of Ray hot on the killer's heels. It protects the suspension of belief (well, whatever that means in a book like this lol) but it mutes it a little.

Vol 3 + 4, The Analog Man & Bloodshot Island, just go deep in and it's really exciting crazy edge of your seat action, backed up with some cool twists and turns. What I really love about this series thoug his that through all 4 volumes, tonal shifts and plot beats, Lemire keeps Ray right at the centre. Whether it's with his manifestation of Ray's psychosis, his budding relationship with Magick or even just bonding with a dog (bloodhound!), he constantly finds different ways and perspectives to shine a light on Ray's progression from those last moments in The Valiant. It's pretty compelling stuff, and you can't really help but root for Ray, even if it's probably all going to end in disaster or some new horror. Larosa & Suayan with David Baron to keep the visuals consistent just obliterate these two arcs as well, just tons of crazy moments and striking panels but totally able to capture the quieter emotional beats.

So yea, cool series. Interested to see how it all ends with USA, even if I kind of have a vague idea from covers where Salvation is going.

One of the things I love that Valiant does is that it lets writers consistently change the status quo of a character. They're not bound by "well we're going to need Bloodshot available for one of these upcoming events" or "we need your Bloodshot story to take place at this time." Not just in Reborn, but among other series, there's just a constant progression of the story, even in just subtle was. The most prominent was Venditti's X-O Manowar, where literally every arc had repercussions for the character going forward. They didn't put it at the forefront of the story, but it's just what made sense for the character.

So, here comes Lemire on Bloodshot Reborn, breaking the rules every other arc on what the character goes through. But consistently, it's all about Ray and interesting, fun ideas he would have liked to have other similar characters like Wolverine or Punisher be in, but never had the liberty to do. That said, although I really loved the status quo at the beginning of Reborn coming off of The Valiant, you could tell Lemire needed the character to move forward to tell these upcoming stories.

Also, while they reversed one of the major deaths in the universe, they did it in a way that makes it bittersweet because Ray has changed as a character and the character was brought back by depressingly twisted means. I am very curious on what's next for that character, but I don't think we'll see them anytime soon.

Wanderer5

Why are they holding her back though? She's done. There are even pictures of the packaging on MFC but she doesn't come out until next month.

Yeah it is a bit strange. Maybe they are aiming for early July least.

Also I see Squirrel Girl pics are starting to come around.

One of the things I love that Valiant does is that it lets writers consistently change the status quo of a character. They're not bound by "well we're going to need Bloodshot available for one of these upcoming events" or "we need your Bloodshot story to take place at this time." Not just in Reborn, but among other series, there's just a constant progression of the story, even in just subtle was. The most prominent was Venditti's X-O Manowar, where literally every arc had repercussions for the character going forward. They didn't put it at the forefront of the story, but it's just what made sense for the character.

So, here comes Lemire on Bloodshot Reborn, breaking the rules every other arc on what the character goes through. But consistently, it's all about Ray and interesting, fun ideas he would have liked to have other similar characters like Wolverine or Punisher be in, but never had the liberty to do. That said, although I really loved the status quo at the beginning of Reborn coming off of The Valiant, you could tell Lemire needed the character to move forward to tell these upcoming stories.

Also, while they reversed one of the major deaths in the universe, they did it in a way that makes it bittersweet because Ray has changed as a character and the character was brought back by depressingly twisted means. I am very curious on what's next for that character, but I don't think we'll see them anytime soon.

Yea 100% dude, that's a great point. It doesn't feel like the book is marching to any sort of editorial beat at all really, other than tell a strong story! It feels like this could end or resolve any way Lemire chooses and that's pretty exciting.

I believe I am aware of the character you are referring to, but I will hold my thoughts until I read USA but yea, that didn't feel like a cheat or a return to status quo or anything, just an exciting thing.

Yea 100% dude, that's a great point. It doesn't feel like the book is marching to any sort of editorial beat at all really, other than tell a strong story! It feels like this could end or resolve any way Lemire chooses and that's pretty exciting.

I believe I am aware of the character you are referring to, but I will hold my thoughts until I read USA but yea, that didn't feel like a cheat or a return to status quo or anything, just an exciting thing.

The fact that Lemire and Kindt were able to do what they did with Bloodshot at the end of The Valiant is evidence enough.

Right, yes, the events of USA definitely affected my opinion there. I'll leave you to that before we discuss it further.

Hard to keep track (I switched to the large HCs) but I should be somewhere near the middle of Perla La Loca. Maggie is currently MIA.

Ah I forgot you had the HCs lol. That part's really good! You're not far behind me. It's really fun to see how the characters age and grow throughout the series. It's crazy to go from the initial sci-fi arc to what the series becomes too.

Top Bottom