• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just found out that there's a thing called Maximum Berserk that's 2 volumes of Berserk in 1 and in a larger format. Not really sure why Dark Horse doesn't do that, if there's one manga that warrants the larger format, it's Berserk.

Pretend Berserk is a comic book.

Messi

Holy hell, Wonder Woman was really really good. DC finally broke the streak of shitty movies.

Obligatory:
tumblr_oepa7iKWdU1rey868o1_250.gif

Suicide Squad wasn't shit :(

Suicide Squad wasn't shit :(

It's the only one of the three DCEU films that I really disliked. Sloppy editing, a terrible villain, shoddy action scenes, as many popular songs over random scenes as they could manage...yeah, I'm still mad about it. I was really looking forward to it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's so funny that they sent out Rope guy to promote the movie when his character only exists as a gag to explain the bombs.

The thing about Suicide Squad is if you ignore the Joker, the cast is pretty spot in and when they are given a moment to shine I kind of feel they bring it. It's just the entire framework of plot and movie they exist in is the ultimate cock block.

ElNarez

Banned
The thing about Suicide Squad is if you ignore the Joker, the cast is pretty spot in and when they are given a moment to shine I kind of feel they bring it. It's just the entire framework of plot and movie they exist in is the ultimate cock block.

It's totally deliberate, and it's what I love about it: it's a movie where nothing is learned, characters do not change and nothing is made any better. It's just that everyone, starting with Deadshot, learns to be fine with it. As commentary on the creeping rise of the military-industrial complex happening independently of any political will, that's kinda dead-on.

Messi

It's totally deliberate, and it's what I love about it: it's a movie where nothing is learned, characters do not change and nothing is made any better. It's just that everyone, starting with Deadshot, learns to be fine with it. As commentary on the creeping rise of the military-industrial complex happening independently of any political will, that's kinda dead-on.

Them learning nothing is my favourite part of the movie. All that happens is that they become ok being who they are.

It just seemed really weirdly done overall.

They seemed to cut a lot of stuff for no reason, I mean you even had multiple scenes that were in the trailer released a few months before the movie came out that, that didn't make it into the movie. Surely by that point you should know whats being cut and not cut.

Then they got Jared Leto, asked him to get fully into the character of the Joker, filmed a massive amount of footage with him for it and then include almost none of it in the movie. Even the scenes they did include seem like parts of bigger scenes they cut out, his part in it just seems tagged on. This in turn just seemed to make the scenes with Joker and Harley weirder, as you feel like your being told half a story, plus that half a story makes them seem like more of a bonnie and clyde relationship than an abusive, psychological abuse relationship that it really is.

There was some good roles in deadshot and harley and some fun action, but I can't watch it without thinking what a missed opportunity it was. There was a good movie somewhere in there but they really didn't find it. I wouldn'y say it was out and out bad though.

Messi

It just seemed really weirdly done overall.

They seemed to cut a lot of stuff for no reason, I mean you even had multiple scenes that were in the trailer released a few months before the movie came out that, that didn't make it into the movie. Surely by that point you should know whats being cut and not cut.

Then they got Jared Leto, asked him to get fully into the character of the Joker, filmed a massive amount of footage with him for it and then include almost none of it in the movie. Even the scenes they did include seem like parts of bigger scenes they cut out, his part in it just seems tagged on. This in turn just seemed to make the scenes with Joker and Harley weirder, as you feel like your being told half a story, plus that half a story makes them seem like more of a bonnie and clyde relationship than an abusive, psychological abuse relationship that it really is.

There was some good roles in deadshot and harley and some fun action, but I can't watch it without thinking what a missed opportunity it was. There was a good movie somewhere in there but they really didn't find it. I wouldn'y say it was out and out bad though.

This was absolutely intentional.

Sometimes I think we're the same person
Haha well I generally enjoy Snyder comics much more than you. That's one area where out tastes differ :)

I ran out of marvel trades I wanted. So another successful sale I'd say. I wish the spider-girl trades covered the whole run. Guess I'll get the rest during the marvel BOGO sale

tim1138

If you guys are the same person, does that mean we have three Geoff Johns running around? Because at that point, we start to get a pretty good hint at the three jokers...

So the world we live is just so cynical and divided, right? I thought that by splitting myself into three I could bring back a sense of optimism, wonder, and most importantly, hope back in the world. That was always my biggest takeaway from working with Richard Donner, you have to give give people something to believe in, good vs evil. That was my goal with Rebirth and now that's my goal for the real world as well, you could even call this Geoff Johns: Rebirth. Instead of taking inspiration from the real world for comics I'm taking inspiration from my comics for the real world.

Haha well I generally enjoy Snyder comics much more than you. That's one area where out tastes differ :)

To be fair, that's not exactly hard to do.

Vic_Viper

Havent read issue 3 yet of Secret Empire so not sure but what if the Captain America with Hydra is the one that is from
Dimension Z in Remender's Captain America run.
Not my idea mind you, I was listening to the Comics Conspiracy podcast and the host had the idea which actually makes alot of sense since in that
dimension
Hydra actually won. They usually dont talk about specific runs that often on the Podcast, and its called that because its the name of their store lol.

Havent read the run again since the original release so im gunna go back now. Gotta say, usually people love to hate
Romita Jr.
but this was one of the times their work really shined. Yes his team books like
Avengers, especially the Avengers vs. X-Men
event looked horrible, but his work on
Cap and Wolverine
looked soo good.

So the world we live is just so cynical and divided, right? I thought that by splitting myself into three I could bring back a sense of optimism, wonder, and most importantly, hope back in the world. That was always my biggest takeaway from working with Richard Donner, you have to give give people something to believe in, good vs evil. That was my goal with Rebirth and now that's my goal for the real world as well, you could even call this Geoff Johns: Rebirth. Instead of taking inspiration from the real world for comics I'm taking inspiration from my comics for the real world.

To be fair, that's not exactly hard to do.

LOL. Holy shit dude hah you ARE Johns, aren't you? It makes sense too. We have the Johns who hates Snyder, the Johns who likes him, and stoicly, the Johns at DC HQ who see's the financial logic in keeping him around.

Just found out that there's a thing called Maximum Berserk that's 2 volumes of Berserk in 1 and in a larger format. Not really sure why Dark Horse doesn't do that, if there's one manga that warrants the larger format, it's Berserk.

Pretend Berserk is a comic book.
It is super weird since Berserk is Dark Horse's best selling book period. Apparently they were talking about it at a con recently too. You would expect them to want more of it out to sell.

dh4niel

Just ordered the last of the Uncanny X-men trades of Kieron Gillen's run, which was dispatched 3 days ago. I only now get an email saying it's too damaged and they don't have another copy. :/

Holy hell, 'Tec is a beast:
1. Detective Comics #957
2. Pathfinder #5
3. Pathfinder #7
4. Pathfinder #4
5. Pathfinder #3
6. Pathfinder #2
7. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time: Eye of the World #7
8. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time: Eye of the World #5
9. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time: Eye of the World #6
10. Pathfinder #6

Ah I forgot you had the HCs lol. That part's really good! You're not far behind me. It's really fun to see how the characters age and grow throughout the series. It's crazy to go from the initial sci-fi arc to what the series becomes too.

True. It has changed so much but never feels forced. This arc has been great. The focus has shifted away from Maggie and Hopey (and Penny) but I like how we get to see everyone else. Glad Ray got punched in the face though. The switching between flashbacks and present time is awesome too.

Today's Amazon sale is great, but I'm already a subscriber to Marvel Unlimited so I'm trying to focus on stuff that will absolutely never come to that service. I've already snagged Miracleman, any other suggestions?

Today's Amazon sale is great, but I'm already a subscriber to Marvel Unlimited so I'm trying to focus on stuff that will absolutely never come to that service. I've already snagged Miracleman, any other suggestions?

Punisher MAX by Ennis, if that's not on there already

If Elektra Assassin is on sale, then that's a great choice

Alias is a popular MAX run too

caliph95

Listening to comicpop while working on stuff reminds me of how dumb Superman Red Son's ending was (probably Millar trying to copy Grant Morrison)

Top Bottom