• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

List!

Wonder Woman #25
TMNT #71
Black Magick #6
Elephantmen #77
Saga #44
Shutter #29
Defenders #2
Secret Weapons #1
Steven Universe #5
XO Manowar #4

Wanderer5

Freeza, I went to a Barnes & Nobles today that had a pretty solid collection of figures, including some display for marvel and DC each via kotobukiya. Quite a bit of artfx stuff, including artfx+ Deadpool. It was so wonderful!

And damn, artfx+ Gwen box is so small compare to Peter and Miles.

I read Silk vol. 1 recently and I can't say I dislike Tana Ford as much as y'all do, but she really does overdo expressions. and unfortunately for her, her issues are in between Stacey Lee and Veronica Fish, who are perfect for the book
It's cheap on Amazon.

ha, Amazon has it at IST level prices. Pretty good!

Freeza, I went to a Barnes & Nobles today that had a pretty solid collection of figures, including some display for marvel and DC each via kotobukiya. Quite a bit of artfx stuff, including artfx+ Deadpool. It was so wonderful!

Yeah, B&N carries a lot of that stuff now. They have Figuarts and some Nendos, too. Though I suspect they only get away with charging what they do because some people don't know about Japanese shops. It's nice to be able to have all that stuff on a shelf, but it's not exactly like walking into a Mandarake.

Wanderer5

Yeah, B&N carries a lot of that stuff now. They have Figuarts and some Nendos, too. Though I suspect they only get away with charging what they do because some people don't know about Japanese shops. It's nice to be able to have all that stuff on a shelf, but it's not exactly like walking into a Mandarake.

Yeah I see quite a bit of figurearts and star wars stuff in particular at my local B&Ns, but this one was a whole new level heh. Was pretty impress by artfx+ Magik and Magento that were displayed.

And yeah it no Mandarake, but well, the prices are generally in line with much western retailers, so. *shrug*

MG310

They had ArtFX Cyclops and Emma on clearance not too long ago but I forgot to go back and check to see if they dropped past 50%.

They had ArtFX Cyclops and Emma on clearance not too long ago but I forgot to go back and check to see if they dropped past 50%.

I think that clearance ended a while back. A new one just started but it's only 30% right now. Didn't really see snything I needed but they have a ton of toys and stuff.

Reading Simone's 2014 Secret Six right after her 2008 one is weird. Like, there's continuity that carried over (Scandal is married to Knockout and Liana), but there's also weird backtracks (Catman entirely, really).

This super weird blend that I can't grasp.

Strix though
Code:
[img]http://www.placesandpredators.com/53/SecretSix9c.jpg[/img]

Oh god I sure hope Strix shows back up in something. Detective Comics or Birds of Prey, preferrably.

Man so that's ALL of Simone's Secret Six. Second run wasn't as strong, but it got cut short so that'll happen. Too bad some of these storylines will never be picked back up ever again.

Also started Simone's Batgirl run. I heard it was dark but holy shit this is something else.

How did I miss this cover:

WNPRI8f.jpg

Reading Simone's 2014 Secret Six right after her 2008 one is weird. Like, there's continuity that carried over (Scandal is married to Knockout and Liana), but there's also weird backtracks (Catman entirely, really).

Strix though
Code:
Strix is the best.

New parody page.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I read Silk vol. 1 recently and I can't say I dislike Tana Ford as much as y'all do, but she really does overdo expressions. and unfortunately for her, her issues are in between Stacey Lee and Veronica Fish, who are perfect for the book

Yeah I couldn't even make it through one issue of Ford's work.

Messi

Strix though
Code:

Awwww yeah Strix kept the dress from Batgirl.

Lovely callback in Secret Six after Babs tells Strix to keep it.

Also Strix telling Batgirl she likes her yellow boots melted my heart.

ha, Amazon has it at IST level prices. Pretty good!

Enjoy that while it lasts. Sooner rather than later Ford replaces them completely.

I'm two issues behind on Seven to Eternity. Is it worth catching up on?

Plowing through Black Science this weekend. Tried to read it a couple times before but it didn't click for some reason. The early issues can be confusing when trying to read it monthly. Up to #24 now and really enjoying the book.

Seven is definitely worth catching up on

Camp Midnight was pretty good with some really funny moments. By Steven T. Seagle (Sandman Mystery Threatre, Big Hero6). About a young girl who gets shipped off, reluctantly, to camp for the summer but ends up at the wrong (monster) camp. Great art style with really emotive faces.

I actually really liked Ford's art. Thought it was a great fit for the tone of the book. Looking forward to v2.

Two quotes from Ellis' newsletter:
Which is a pain, because I have to get my arse in gear no matter how desperate I am for a day off. I still have issues to write on the second block of THE WILD STORM, I have to get back into something Jason Howard and I have been playing around with as a kind of sorbet course between volumes of TREES, and I have to start clearing the decks for a screenplay I need to deliver by September 1, the polish on which will need to be completed the day before I get on a plane to Alesund and go off grid for several days in the last week of that month.

I *can* get a first draft of a screenplay up in twelve days, but that's brutal on me. 10 pages a day is harder for me than you might think. Everybody has a different rate of production. When I'm writing novels, I call 500 words a day a win. This is in part because I am a peculiar novelist who tends to fiddle around with the previous day's words before writing new ones. And then I'll look up and see the likes of John Scalzi and Charlie Stross blasting out 2000 words a day. The last time I did anything like that was DEAD PIG COLLECTOR, when I just couldn't put the damn thing down and put in something like 4000 words on the last day.

(DEAD PIG COLLECTOR, by the way, is now available all over the world as a Kindle Single and an audio edition read by Wil Wheaton.)

For whatever reason, science fiction writers can produce massive daily word counts. I don't know if it's some special genre training, like preserving pulp production levels, or an aspect of sf that means you have to empty your head of All The Ideas at high level, or just the writers I know. Charlie and I, in particular, couldn't be more opposite. He'll produce 190,000 words and then edit it down to 120,000, just the thought of which makes me insane.

Point being, I'm going to need six weeks to produce the first draft of this screenplay without murdering myself. So I've got around three weeks to land all the other stuff first. Where this gets difficult is A) I have two books I want to write B) I have to start developing the second Wild Storm spin-off series.

I make notes at the top of every story document. Usually just two things. What's it about, and what does each character want? It's simple and simplistic, and doesn't contain the entirety of the work in any way, but in a rigorously structured thing, it can help me keep on track. At the top of the dev doc for THE WILD STORM is:

ANGELA SPICA, BREAKTHROUGH ENGINEER AND ACTUAL GOOD PERSON, AND ALL THE SHIT SHE BRINGS DOWN ON HERSELF FROM ONE SELFLESS ACT, AND ALL THE THINGS SHE TRIGGERS BY DOING IT

That's what I need to not wander away from as I meander through the book.

"What does each character want?" has its most prevalent uses in self-contained episodic fiction - it's Aaron Sorkin's guideline in almost any episode of his WEST WING, and it's what kicks off a Dan Harmon story circle.

What a character wants, and the lengths to which a character will go to get what they want, may well define whether or not they are actors for the common good in the story.

Awwww yeah Strix kept the dress from Batgirl.

Lovely callback in Secret Six after Babs tells Strix to keep it.

Also Strix telling Batgirl she likes her yellow boots melted my heart.
I'm gonna miss that run so much. Porcelain is great. Ventriloquist got hers. Strix is the best.

Black Alice is the one I'm especially upset about.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just finished the first Preacher trade. God damn how the hell are they adapting this for TV?!. My only exposure to Preacher before was watching like 4 episodes of the show and people weren't kidding, this comic seems unfilmable. I wonder how the show is going to adapt any of this since damn I don't how they would even begin to film it.

dh4niel

Just finished the first Preacher trade. God damn how the hell are they adapting this for TV?!. My only exposure to Preacher before was watching like 4 episodes of the show and people weren't kidding, this comic seems unfilmable. I wonder how the show is going to adapt any of this since damn I don't when know they would even begin to film it.

It's been awhile since I read the whole thing and I only watched a couple of episodes of the show but I don't think the first season is following the comic series. Season 2 is meant to, I believe.

Finished Batgirl Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection by Gail Simone. Pretty good. Very dark and personal. I also really like Syaf's art in this. Haven't even spotted anything racist! The heavy use of purple is great.

So did anyone else find the ending to Green Arrow #25 kind of weird?

Trying to read some trade called Spider Man/Spider Gwen Sitting in a Tree...

Though it was an ogn of some kind but it seems to be a crossover where they are looking for Miles' dad? The first two issues ranged from bad (#12 Spider man) to boring (#16 spider Gwen)

Dark Days: The Forge #1
FAIR PLAY IS BACK BABY

Also like 90% of the set-up that's paid off here makes no sense to me. Like I have a lot of questions:

Batman kidnapped and kept Joker in a super secret Batcave room? Batman is part of a tribe dating back to ancient times? The mysterious egg thing?

My guess for Joker is that it turns out Joker isn't crazy, just from another universe. Joker venom is a part of that...somehow.

I haven't read any of Snyder's work with DC, so if he's been teasing this shit then I got nothing.

Sandfox

Trying to read some trade called Spider Man/Spider Gwen Sitting in a Tree...

Though it was an ogn of some kind but it seems to be a crossover where they are looking for Miles' dad? The first two issues ranged from bad (#12 Spider man) to boring (#16 spider Gwen)

The later issues are more interesting for various reasons IMO. Opinions are that story are mixed though.

The later issues are more interesting for various reasons IMO. Opinions are that story are mixed though.

Though, in Bendis fashion, it's not until the issue after the crossover that he actually explains why he framed Miles' side of the story the way he did. It ends up making a lot of sense in hindsight.

redlemon

What do people use as a generic comic reader on iOS? I'm using perfect viewer on android at the moment.
I heard of comic rack before but its 10 quid and it looks like it wont be supported with the upcoming ios update.

FAIR PLAY IS BACK BABY

Also like 90% of the set-up that's paid off here makes no sense to me. Like I have a lot of questions:

Batman kidnapped and kept Joker in a super secret Batcave room? Batman is part of a tribe dating back to ancient times? The mysterious egg thing?

My guess for Joker is that it turns out Joker isn't crazy, just from another universe. Joker venom is a part of that...somehow.

I haven't read any of Snyder's work with DC, so if he's been teasing this shit then I got nothing.
Don't you remember the tribe that Batman helped while going back and forward in time after getting "killed" by Darkseid? The egg is the most dangerous person in the DC multiverse:

Plastic Man

Cable #1 was what I expected. It's very okay.
Don't you remember the tribe that Batman helped while going back and forward in time after getting "killed" by Darkseid? The egg is the most dangerous person in the DC multiverse:

Plastic Man
In order to remember, I'd have to have read it. But I'm intrigued.

FAIR PLAY IS BACK BABY

1. The tribe is when Bruce Wayne got sent back when he was "killed" during Final Crisis. It is in the first issue of Grant Morrison's Return of Bruce Wayne miniseries.
2. That is Plastic Man.
3.The Joker stuff deals with the stuff from Endgame in Snyder's Batman run.

Top Bottom