• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Storm Watch v1 #37 - #42 - My first time reading this and it is interesting how, like The Wild Storm, we are thrown right into the thick of things from issue one. Almost like they were "reorganizing" what came earlier. Also interesting to see Sparks and Hawksmoor introduced with almost no fanfare. I'm guessing I'll see some more of their history in the next 4 trades. Also guessing most of these characters don't have a great end considering what comprises Authority. (But I am hoping I am wrong there...)

I thought that book was boring as shit. One of very few books that I stopped reading part of the way into an issue.

It wasn't something groundbreaking and it might have tread a lot of previously covered ground but it looked great and it was fun. Maybe my bar was set low after JLD.

MG310

Marco Rudy has commissions open

http://cadenceselect.bigcartel.com/product/marco-rudy-watercolor-commission

Main.jpg

Sandfox

What is the best run on the Fantastic Four? Need some good FF stories

The Lee and Kirby run is probably considered to the be the best followed by the Byrne run, but I'm not sure if they've aged well. If you are looking for a modern run go with Waid or Hickman.

Reread Aaron's The Mighty Thor vol 1 this evening. Still balls to the wall awesome. There's so much going on in the book with the plot and the characters that is compelling, and the artist brings it to life beautifully. Dauterman's flexibility is a sight to behold and the action just sizzles on the page. It's a book that feels exciting to be reading, even on the second time through.

Storm Watch v1 #37 - #42 - My first time reading this and it is interesting how, like The Wild Storm, we are thrown right into the thick of things from issue one. Almost like they were "reorganizing" what came earlier. Also interesting to see Sparks and Hawksmoor introduced with almost no fanfare. I'm guessing I'll see some more of their history in the next 4 trades. Also guessing most of these characters don't have a great end considering what comprises Authority. (But I am hoping I am wrong there...)

It wasn't something groundbreaking and it might have tread a lot of previously covered ground but it looked great and it was fun. Maybe my bar was set low after JLD.

Ellis' plotting is lightning fast. He's just trying to get to the stuff he cares about as quickly as possible. It's one of he great points of the run.

Brandon Graham responded to the WWAC quick roundtable about Island #15 cover. Bolded emphasis mine.

Brandon Graham said:
It might just be my own blind spots or knowing Dilraj’s work but any blackface implications never occurred to me. Plus maybe knowing that he’s a dark skinned dude drawing a dark skinned woman- maybe Dilraj will correct me but I think he’s a British dude with roots in India. So I take some issue with the talk on that site implying that he’s not black enough to draw whatever skin tone he wants to.

Something that bugged me about that conversation is that none of the women had read the story that Dilraj did that ties directly into the cover. just from a storytelling point of view I was impressed that he treated the cover like a cover shoot and followed up with a story interviewing the character on the cover. Humanizing her I think.

There’s a lot in the post that rings as disconnected from any reality I’ve known like when Stephanie wrote“ The bright, cheerful colors of the quirky clothes and accessories the female figure is wearing also seems ill-suited to such a grave and historical topic as black resistance. “ – This just rubbed me the wrong way like there’s supposed to be some uniform for having a political stance. Plus, outfit aside, I think it works great to see a more cartoony art style coupled with a grounded tone of story.

In the end I’m all for conversation about the work. So, I appreciate that aspect of it & it’s great that the cover got them talking but I think Dilraj’s work is so much more than they went into.

The WWAC roundtable about it was pretty so and so because it was much more about the immediate reaction to the cover rather than in depth review. With that said,

this is a pretty tepid and tone deaf response that you would expect from Tom Brevoort. Not Brandon Graham but hey here it is.

Ellis' plotting is lightning fast. He's just trying to get to the stuff he cares about as quickly as possible. It's one of he great points of the run.

Oh definitely. I love that. Was just bringing it up because of the discussion RepairMan Jack and I were having a few pages back about the first couple of issues of The Wild Storm.

Brandon Graham responded to the WWAC quick roundtable about Island #15 cover. Bolded emphasis mine.

The WWAC roundtable about it was pretty so and so because it was much more about the immediate reaction to the cover rather than in depth review. With that said,

this is a pretty tepid and tone deaf response that you would expect from Tom Brevoort. Not Brandon Graham but hey here it is.

Wow. "Dilraj is dark skinned too" was not the line I thought they would take. Especially considering the racism against black people in the South Asian communities.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finished Tokyo Ghost volume 1.

While not as good as Low or Deadly Class, I still enjoyed it quite a bit and just like his other comics, he picked an amazing artist for it.

Definitely will pick up volume 2.

Wasn't the book published in the 2000s? I mean, it was a thing among teens to be going through fucked up issues.
2010. I dislike it because she's got a lot of progression, and while her angst is believable and understandable (being a living weapon who's trying to figure her shit out and basically dealing with having emotions), the cutting herself seems regressive, but at the same time I can buy it because she does it after she finds a list of targets that was from a program that intentionally baited her so they could capture her and use her to develop more weapons AND forced her to kill children.
Being forced into prostitution for most of your childhood will fuck you up.
It was like a year. It's fiiiiiiiiine
That too. Speaking of which, is NYX worth reading?
I'd say yes, but it's weird. Like, super weird. There're two runs, and only one of them has Laura. But I'd say that both are worth it.
See I really liked JLD for the first few arcs with Milligan and Lemire. DeMatteis royally fucked it, though.

I thought the DCYou Constantine run was beautiful on a visual level, but the writing felt so flat to me. Just boring.

Messi

Finished Tokyo Ghost volume 1.

While not as good as Low or Deadly Class, I still enjoyed it quite a bit and just like his other comics, he picked an amazing artist for it.

Definitely will pick up volume 2.

You don't need to visit Japan anymore now. You have learned of all its history.

Vibranium

Banned
Are the remaining issues of Immortal Iron Fist after Fraction and Aja leaves worth buying?

Brubaker left too, and no, the remaining issues are not really worth it unless you want to finish the book for completion's sake. There's some Danny and Misty moments, but other than that I found the rest pretty forgettable.

Sandfox

Brubaker left too, and no, the remaining issues are not really worth it unless you want to finish the book for completion's sake. There's some Danny amd Misty moments, but other than that I found the rest pretty forgettable.

I didn't buy them so it looks like I made the right decision.

LegendX48

I'd just jump to her solo series.

I'd say yes, but it's weird. Like, super weird. There're two runs, and only one of them has Laura. But I'd say that both are worth it.

I always hear like a 50/50 with NYX lol

But yeah, I basically have the complete collections (vol 1 and the Liu hardcovers + collision) and I need more Laura Kinney! Was thinking of grabbing the NYX wannabe paperback this week.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that Cyclops thread makes me want to resub to MU to re-read Astonishing X-Men.

VeeP

Because of the show (which I thought was fairly average, I've seen worse), I decided to read the Immortal Iron Fist recently. Which was a pretty fun book, with very cool lore/world building/etc.

Today... I read Iron Fist: The Living Weapon... I kept thinking it would improve... but it was terrible. So bad.

I looked at some of the reviews online and it seemed to have fairly decent reviews? What did NeoGAF think about it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Because of the show (which I thought was fairly average, I've seen worse), I decided to read the Immortal Iron Fist recently. Which was a pretty fun book, with very cool lore/world building/etc.

Today... I read Iron Fist: The Living Weapon... I kept thinking it would improve... but it was terrible. So bad.

I looked at some of the reviews online and it seemed to have fairly decent reviews? What did NeoGAF think about it?

Gaf hates it.

Whats the series that starts with a invulnerable dude that is murdered with a bag over his head? Ive been thinking about it all day.

I always hear like a 50/50 with NYX lol

But yeah, I basically have the complete collections (vol 1 and the Liu hardcovers + collision) and I need more Laura Kinney! Was thinking of grabbing the NYX wannabe paperback this week.
The first series, with Laura, is largely inconsequential. Really, all you need to know is that she was a prostitute and was friends with some kids, one of whom was Kiden. Kiden has time powers.

Nothing really interesting happens with Laura's character during the actual story. She makes some friends and then doesn't show up in the next series, since in-universe she went back to the X-Men. Kiden becomes relevant for a couple plot points in the Kyle and Yost X-Force run and a one-shot X-23 issue. I would just read both the X-23 collections, and if you really want to flesh out Laura's history, then read NYX.
that Cyclops thread makes me want to resub to MU to re-read Astonishing X-Men.

It would be worth it.

I hated it. Basically the complete opposite of what I want out of something with Danny.

Donnie likes Living Weapon. In comicgaf there is a defense force for every run

Whats the series that starts with a invulnerable dude that is murdered with a bag over his head? Ive been thinking about it all day.

"Invulnerable bag head murder comic" was a wild Google ride, but alas I don't seem to have found it

jurgen

Started watching Iron Fist on Netflix. Can already tell this was a mistake.

Yeah, I've tapped out after 7 episodes. I'm serious when I say that Arrow did the same show better five years ago.

Of course, I've bailed halfway through most of the Marvel shows because they become an uninteresting chore to watch. Each show has what I call the "Daredevil problem" in the sense that it becomes a boring, padded slog after the fifth or sixth episode.

Marco Rudy has commissions open

I want Marco Rudy on an ongoing again. He can channel Steranko all goddamn day and it's glorious.

Rhaknar

"Invulnerable bag head murder comic" was a wild Google ride, but alas I don't seem to have found it

Rising Stars maybe (was that the name of a comic? lol)? Its not Marvel thats for sure, it was from my non-Marvel phase.

Argh.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why would anyone watch Iron Fist when you can watch Power Rangers? It has superior fight scenes.

I do like it, but not sure what the defence force talk about is. I mentioned to whatisinaname a page back or so that I like it but it's not incredible (not that I'm apologising for that stance mind). It's hardly a book I've ran to champion. And here I thought you read my posts man ;)

Oh. I should've warned you. Everything is as slow as molasses and 85% of the season feels like a prologue.

85%? Haha. I finished the season last night and had a good time, but the WHOLE season feels like a prologue. In fact, depending how Defenders goes, it hasn't even really left off feeling like he's *there* as the Danny Rand people are familiar with in the comics.

Owzers

Mass effect: we have no idea what we're doing, here's some new humans.

ME's reception reminds me of its E3 showing where it was behind the scenes development of a shoulder and a vehicle. This is mass effect, we have nothing, but it's coming.

I was sick when I saw Fastlane, almost threw my blanket at the tv when the Owens Goldberg match ended, haven't watch wrestling since. Roman vs undertaker at wrestlemania? Redeemed!

I do like it, but not sure what the defence force talk about is. I mentioned to whatisinaname a page back or so that I like it but it's not incredible (not that I'm apologising for that stance mind). It's hardly a book I've ran to champion. And here I thought you read my posts man ;)

Aw I'm just taking the piss

That said, I only read comics

Top Bottom