• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

I absolutely love the character design and everything I've seen of Spider-Gwen, so I was planning to get the new hardcover collecting Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1-5 and Spider-Gwen (2015B) #1-6. Any opinions on this?

I'm a fan of the series, I have the second volume of the current run arriving in the mail today in fact. I really like Latour's writing and handling of Gwen's character and the art is incredible. If you get a kick out of seeing characters reinterpreted it's a lot of fun that way too, the team make the most of having their own universe. The change in spider person isn't the only change.

I'd honestly find it hard to recommend you an x title since they've rebooted the teams so many times, and are about due to do so again, but you might like Lemire's Old Man Logan run. I'm sure others will step in on that front with recommendations

I did really enjoy Diesel: Ignition btw. Some great (and detailed) art building a very interesting world. And the story got pretty dark too for what looked like an all ages adventure book initially.

Hah, this looks awesome!

I'm a fan of the series, I have the second volume of the current run arriving in the mail today in fact. I really like Latour's writing and handling of Gwen's character and the art is incredible. If you get a kick out of seeing characters reinterpreted it's a lot of fun that way too, the team make the most of having their own universe. The change in spider person isn't the only change.

I'd honestly find it hard to recommend you an x title since they've rebooted the teams so many times, and are about due to do so again, but you might like Lemire's Old Man Logan run. I'm sure others will step in on that front with recommendations

Thanks! As I said I haven't read a lot of comics, so I could even pick up the original Old Man Logan run by Millar & McNiven. That seems to be quite well-regarded.

Just browsing Goodreads, the Kamala Khan Ms Marvel run looks interesting too!

dsc_0091sysrf.jpg

This week's haul. Ended up splitting my marvel basket in two for practicality's sake. Catch up on books I'm already reading this week, start some new volume 1s next time. Can't wait to see how Vision ends. Birthday next week so hoping for a nice influx of some Image books of I'm lucky.

kmfdmpig

Hey all, occasional comic reader here. I read a lot of Duck comics as a kid (they're really big here) and I had a short stint a couple of years back when I read a bunch of older X-Men stories on Comixology but that's about it as far as reading comics goes.

I have a gift card to a bookstore, and since I like the convenience of Kindle for regular books I figured I'd use it on comics instead. Since I'm not a regular reader I'd like to get some nice one-offs or collections, and I thought I'd ask you for recommendations. I have about 80€ to spend, but the store is bit on the expensive side.

I absolutely love the character design and everything I've seen of Spider-Gwen, so I was planning to get the new hardcover collecting Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1-5 and Spider-Gwen (2015B) #1-6. Any opinions on this?

I've heard a lot of good things about Darth Vader (and I love Star Wars), so maybe a collection of those would be good? I can get either paperback with 1-6 or hardcover with 1-12.

This leaves room for some more things and I guess that's where any recommendations would help. I love X-Men stuff so if there's an awesome book for those that would great, but I'm open to recommendations outside of the "mainstream" brands too.

Have you read the Astonishing X-Men? That's probably a good option as it's both really good, but also pretty accessible for people that haven't followed X-Men consistently over the years. It uses most of the iconic characters, which helps make it more accessible.

One other option, which blends your interest in X-Men and Star Wars style grandeur is the Cosmic Marvel stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/N7OXfyI.jpg

It's a bit intimidating to see that massive list, but each part is somewhat independent. I haven't worked my way through it all yet, but I've enjoyed what I've read.

Hagi

This week's haul. Ended up splitting my marvel basket in two for practicality's sake. Catch up on books I'm already reading this week, start some new volume 1s next time. Can't wait to see how Vision ends. Birthday next week so hoping for a nice influx of some Image books of I'm lucky.

Hmm i forgot Doctor Strange vol 3 was out, will have to pick it up this week. Need to get the last volume of Vision as well.

Have you read the Astonishing X-Men? That's probably a good option as it's both really good, but also pretty accessible for people that haven't followed X-Men consistently over the years. It uses most of the iconic characters, which helps make it more accessible.

One other option, which blends your interest in X-Men and Star Wars style grandeur is the Cosmic Marvel stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/N7OXfyI.jpg

It's a bit intimidating to see that massive list, but each part is somewhat independent. I haven't worked my way through it all yet, but I've enjoyed what I've read.

No, I haven't read Astonishing X-Men. Should I just look at the Joss Whedon run here? Another (older) X-Men story that came up was the Dark Phoenix Saga, looks like that's available as a collection too.

Oh man, there's so much comics!

kmfdmpig

No, I haven't read Astonishing X-Men. Should I just look at the Joss Whedon run here? Another (older) X-Men story that came up was the Dark Phoenix Saga, looks like that's available as a collection too.

Yes, I'd focus on the Joss Whedon run on that.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

if you're freshly returning to comics & interested in the X-Men - Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run is the best place to start.

it's a tight, cohesive, exciting reintroduction to the classic team. from there, if you want something a little darker i would check out Remender's Uncanny X-Force run. also benefits from being tight & self-contained - no crossovers or event books to confuse you.

Edge of Venomverse (Sounds like a parody event to be honest).

EDGE OF VENOMVERSE #1 (of 5)

MATTHEW ROSENBERG (W) • ROLAND BOSCHI (A)
Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA
Variant Cover by RON LIM
TEASER VARIANT COVER BY FRANCESCO MATTINA

EDGE of VENOM-VERSE starts here!

The series that sets up the epic VENOM EVENT of 2017 STARTS HERE! Each issue introduces another major Venomized character that will feed into VENOMVERSE itself! THIS ISSUE, the young mutant clone designated X-23 collides with a cryogenic tube containing a strange alien symbiote during her frenzied escape from The Facility, . Bonding with the alien enhances her already considerable abilities, and aids in her escape, but it begins to alter her mind! On the run from the very people that made her, can X-23 hold it together or is she doomed to give in to Venom!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Variant Cover by RON LIM

Wait, so Edge of Venomverse isn't even the actual event but just a book leading in to it? So Venomverse is the Fall event for Marvel?

if you're freshly returning to comics & interested in the X-Men - Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run is the best place to start.

it's a tight, cohesive, exciting reintroduction to the classic team. from there, if you want something a little darker i would check out Remender's Uncanny X-Force run. also benefits from being tight & self-contained - no crossovers or event books to confuse you.

Thanks (everyone)! I'll add Astonishing X-Men to my shopping list then. I'm writing down the other recommendations for later.

Maybe its just like Edge of Electroverse. But lets always assume the absolute worst cause its Marvel.

The series that sets up the epic VENOM EVENT of 2017 STARTS HERE! Each issue introduces another major Venomized character that will feed into VENOMVERSE itself!

Seems pretty clear that this is a series of one shots setting up something called Venomverse. Marvel's being upfront about it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Variant Cover by RON LIM

"The epic Venom event of 2017" sounds like the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.

arkon

Anyone reading/caught up on Tyson Hesse's Diesel? I am a bit confused how it is structured. I read the trade Diesel: Ignition but it looks like that is not a straight collection of the single issues? #4 on comixology says final issue but the trade has 8 chapters with chapter 4 aligning with #4's description from Comixology. And the trade ends with a "End of Book one" tag. Definitely hoping there's more.

I did really enjoy Diesel: Ignition btw. Some great (and detailed) art building a very interesting world. And the story got pretty dark too for what looked like an all ages adventure book initially.

I read it in the single issues and really liked it particularly the art style. Had no idea the trade had extra stuff. Looking around a bit Hesse mentions on his tumblr it contains 4 previously unreleased chapters and a new prologue.

Guess I'll be adding that to the list then

Anybody grab Extremity #1? I thought it borrowed a little too much from some tropes and Mad Max, but really liked the set up and the emphasis on the arts. Between the main character and her drawing and the guy later in the book with his music, I thought it did a great job of not over emphasizing a small detail that could end up being very big in the universe.

Finally got my hard cover Mighty Thor Trade, and man I'm super bummed that it took me so long to pick it up. I really enjoyed Loki's interactions with the new Thor. Can't wait to get vol 2.

Anyway, my copy came with a digital version. Does anyone want it? Just quote this and I'll PM it to ya.

Finally got my hard cover Mighty Thor Trade, and man I'm super bummed that it took me so long to pick it up. I really enjoyed Loki's interactions with the new Thor. Can't wait to get vol 2.

Anyway, my copy came with a digital version. Does anyone want it? Just quote this and I'll PM it to ya.

Haha I can actually add the code to volume 2 to that offer . I won't use the code I got in my HC this morn. Need to nip out but if someone quotes I'll send when I get back in.

Same goes for Dr Strange. I may still have the code to the first volume of that too, so that would be v 1, 2 and 3.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Haha I can actually add the code to volume 2 to that offer . I won't use the code I got in my HC this morn.

woah, i'd love these!

still need to finish the last vol of Man-Thor, but i've been waiting to dive into JaneThor for a minute

I thought you finished Vision already, you're in for a real treat with that. Second half was amazing. Definitely something I'd recommend to everyone like I do with Hawkeye. Just some of the best books by Marvel with consistent and perfect creative teams. If they're going to insist on doing these relaunches, these books are shining examples on what they should strive for.

I thought you finished Vision already, you're in for a real treat with that. Second half was amazing. Definitely something I'd recommend to everyone like I do with Hawkeye. Just some of the best books by Marvel with consistent and perfect creative teams. If they're going to insist on doing these relaunches, these books are shining examples on what they should strive for.

Unfortunately not! I think it came out too close to christmas maybe, I have a ban on buying comics during the gift buying season. I definitely agree though, I would actually be totally onboard for every 2 years a deck reshuffle, and a large % of books following a creator driven season type model. 12 issues, a core idea, conceived and executed with a consistent artist. Marvel end up with an ever green two volume thing to sell, and I get something that probably wouldn't have worked over 60 issues anyway, so the 12 issues and out works oppose to ending in vague cancellation/as part of an event. If the team had an idea of where it might go beyond their conclusion at the end of year one and sales support it, spin things up for another 12 issues.

Noto on Avengers! Cloonan gets Kris Anka for Punisher too. Might jump on that.

Top Bottom