• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zennyzz

I'm pretty sure you can't do that to a book without getting it wet

In which case, why was he reading it in water?

tim1138

Pax America thoughts for Veelk:

So Pax is a pretty fascinating comic for me, conceptually and in practice it is absolutely brilliant and unlike some of the other Multiversity one shots I don't see any way it could ever work as an on going series. It's obviously a reaction to Miller and Moore and the bits of dark n gritty they introduced and popularized into modern comics. This should surprise no one really because Morrison has very publically decried those themes, it's probably his magnum opus in that regards honestly. As a comic story it's just so perfectly conceived and executed, Morrison and Quitely created a comic that can literally be read forwards and backwards to tell it's story (when reading it in reverse, the panels depicting the president's assassination through to the cover of the comic are absolutely perfect). I don't think it's even important whether or not Algorithm 8 works or not, you can pretty easily make a case that it's simply a manifestation of the President's guilt over killing his father as a child. I think it's a more interesting story if you consider that Atom knows this plan will fail, but goes through with it any way simply because that's the way it has to be. He can see their origins and he can see their endings, but he never makes a case for being able to change those beginnings or endings. The door may open both ways, but only if Atom wants to or believes it's the way things were always going to. I've been toying with the idea that nothing Atom tells the president is actually in reference to what is happening in their reality, but rather broader statements about the multiversal crisis. In the end the door did open both ways for Nix and company, and that's how they were
able to stave off the attempts of the Gentry and see the dark version of Ultraa on his throne with the empty hand.
With all that said, Thunderworld was my favorite issue of the lot, because it was just so pitch perfect.

If you're not a fan of Morrison already, I don't see this as being the book to flip the switch for you. Something smaller in scope like We3 or Joe the Barbarian might be better starting points, they're undeniably Morrison, but a bit easier to digest and dive into.

As I said. It is water damaged and then also bent. Not sure which happened first.

With Marvel's paper quality? It might just have been left next to a humidifier for 5 minutes or so.

I had someone do this to a Calvin & Hobbes book that was in my room. Someone took it out of my dorm room without my permission. And I had actually borrowed it from someone else. :/

Owzers

what if instead of reading the trade while using the bathroom they did so while taking a bath? Does the book smell like soap? You should sniff it.

Quoting for a new page because holy shit guys, thanks.

So thoughts on the finale of Multiversity, spoilers because obviously:

So this is why I knew the ending was gonna leave people disappointed, it's very much in line with how he ended his Batman run, by putting all the toys back in the box and not having a true resolution. It is very much a statement on the superhero industry. Basically it doesn't matter how many alternate superheroes Nix is able to assemble to fight the Gentry, they will always be there. He pretty much HAD to put the toys back in the box and leave it open ended because to do otherwise would be saying that the era of similarly themed/house style work for hire comics was over. Ultimately the Gentry (and Ultraa) represented the genericization of corporate comics, it goes back to Ultra Comics, the only way the heroes truly win is if you stop reading the comics. There will always be another crisis, another reboot, and despite minor deviations here and there the status quo will be forever maintained because that's how you do business. Multiversity was both a love letter to the creativity of the superhero genre and an indictment of the current corporate comics culture. Since it's Morrison Nix gets his happy ending, but because of the nature of the beast the struggle against comic gentrification will always be there.

Just my two cents.

I'm gonna try and reformulate my thoughts on The Multiversity, with some added stuff.

There's a big reveal at the end of Multiversity #2, and it's when you see The Empty Hand in full. On his forehead, there's the same logo that's on Ultra Comics' chest. And we know from Ultra Comics -the comic itself, not the character of the same name, try and keep up- that You are Ultra Comics. You are the Empty Hand. You're the Oblivion Machine.

There's multiple signs pointing to that, starting with the most obious one : the very thing giving the entire comic its forward momentum, in a very concrete sense, is your hand. And since it's turning a page, or sliding it off the iPad screen, it's not holding anything. It's empty. Literally. It's your empty hand causing all of this.

Less obvious, but it was the thing that illuminated it for me, from Pax Americana : that final moment, in the interrogation room, when the Peacemaker literally points at You when asked who he's trying to save the world from. It's a panel that works on multiple levels, like much of Pax.

(Which, by the way, I have a completely new interpretation on now: I think Earth-4 is not the world least corrupted by the Gentry, but in fact the exact opposite. It's where the Gentry's victory is the most total.)

(While we're on the topic of Pax, fun link : the massless time-symmetrical boson Captain Atom is referring to is page 12 and 13. Page 12 of Ultra Comics is when Ultra Comics comes alive. It's not just the godly spread blending three timelines. NEAT!)

But so, the Gentry: they work for the Empty Hand. So, for You. That's the Big Idea: they're not a group, as much as they are a metaphor for a process. And that process is consuming stories, turning them into ideas, remaking them through your own interpretation of facts, MUCH LIKE WHAT I AM DOING RIGHT NOW. You can see individual members of the Gentry as aspects of that process, like Intellectron, breaking down stories into something far smaller, points about fiction itself, pure ideas.

It's an entirely destructive process, as shown by the reveal of Multiverse-2's demise, and by the end of Ultra Comics. When you close a book, when you put it down, you kill that universe, if only until you pick it back up again. It's a big and ugly Oblivion Machine. But, in the same way Intellectron is defeated by virtue of being a character in Ultra Comics, the Gentry and the Empty Hand bring about their own destruction.

Because through the destructive process that is reading, we give the stories power, we let them become something bigger, something inspiring, heroic, greater than ourselves. Through stories, we created bad, to have it defeated by good. As repeated often in the series : The Door Has One Side, And Opens Both Ways.

The curse of Ultra Comics, the thing that made every character reading it go mad, is that it makes that whole idea transparent. It shows your potential as creator and destroyer, and it's a fucking lot to handle: The Atom's spirits get shattered, Alexis Luthor goes power-mad, Captain Atom leaves the universe, to name examples.

In the end, Nix gets the rent money because we need him to. Because the process is always going to perpetuate itself, which is what's wonderful about it. That's what The Multiversity is about, how we make the world run on stories. It's literally the same thing he's said before, but bigger, all-encompassing, taking the entire history of DC to do so.

How does Nix tie into being a character in Earth Prime but also into the hero struggle. In Final Crisis, Nix was a monitor who was outcast to Earth Prime. In Multiversity, he is that Earth Prime outcast dreaming about being that last monitor in this huge story. I'm trying to piece the meanings of that together.

Veelk

Banned
I personally agree with what you are saying about Flex Mentallo. I read it recently and posted impressions in this thread that it didn't click with me.

But do you feel that a narration of that type will never work? I feel that it can actually be done well and has been.
Eh...maybe in such a way that it doesn't break the illusion of the story being a genuine thing, which of course is a subjective matter. I dislike ever saying something will never work, because I try to keep as open a mind as possible.

For me, the key point has to be that the story is just authentic. It can't turn into a lecture on anything. I guess the closest example would be avatar the last airbender with various messages you could extrapolate, but it never went up to you and straight up said "War is wrong!" or anything. The closest is the katara episode on revenge, and I'd easily argue that's one of the weaker episodes. It was always mostly concerned with creating real characters.

Its honestly a bigger problem with Morrison because he's so loud about his beliefs. If the creators keep quiet, it's harder to assume anything about them through their work, which I try not to take as an indication of their personal beliefs.

The thing I like about Grant Morrison is his compactness. I’m a picky reader. I bore easily. And whatever I’m reading, no matter what it is, I’m always thinking about the story and the storytelling. When I see a page that’s just four panels of a woman being asked for a glass of water, then she accepts, and that’s the only narrative information gained…I wanna throw that fucking comic in the shredder b. You got 22 pages here, and that’s what you use it for? On the flip side, there are really wordy mothafuckas who write a lot of comics, but don’t go nowhere. Scott Snyder will stop narrative momentum in his decompressed-ass derivative stories so a character can throw up a big old furball of exposition about owls or whales or what they’re gonna do to them its like “for fuck’s sake b”. You read like 70 Hickman comics, turn to your friend, go “oh MAN…next issue, #71, shit is gonna start going down!”

With Grant Morrison, I feel he has the same love that I do of the 22-page comic, these potentially wonderful ultimately throwaway things and what you can do in that space. He wants to get you bang for your buck, so he doesn’t waste words. If he has to do exposition, he’ll think of some visually interesting way to convey it. He spends a lot of time thinking about the exact line of dialog this particular character should say on this particular panel in this particular context. He has a love for spectacle, but he wants to make sure every single issue counts. While others are ok with one cool idea, he’ll try to do half a dozen.

He doesn’t have much in the way of explanations or exposition, which for a lot of readers have the misconception that he’s just throwing shit at a wall in some drug-induced mayhem, but instead he writes for an audience that’s familiar with the tropes, who can connect some of the dots without holding your hand all the way through. Fast-paced comics, stuffed with ideas and cool visuals.

He has a very economic sense of characterization that he boils them down to their essence. He’s gotten so good at it that sometimes he can just so sound effects (“Hh”, Batman’s confident grunt of acknowledgement or satisfaction, “Tt”, Damian’s arrogant waving off of a situation he feels is beneath him). Its because of the “exactness” of characters and his worlds and comics, you can easily see them as non-people, or not believe in them as real. He’s not someone who creates space for to see your own interpretations of these characters, he’s already has them down to their core.

Say that opening page of All-Star Superman, where Superman’s origin is boiled down to four panels and eight words. For a lot of people, who’ve seen years of various Superman origins or questioning who he is and what matters and what doesn’t, to see his conception broken down into such essential, “perfect” capsules is brilliant. To others, they could see it but not “believe” it, its too “perfect”, too controlled, compressed, concise. The parents aren’t real, they’re quickhand signifiers. The journey isn’t dramatized, its simply acknowledged, so we can get to the part where Superman flies through the fuckin’ sun where Luthor has a living bomb on board.

It takes a kind of certain kind of history with these characters to fully appreciate the compactness of his Morrison’s comics. There’s that one page where Superman comes to Lex and tell him to be good, and Lex just spits on the glass.

http://readrant.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/luthor-spits-at-superman.jpg

I see a wonderful encapsulation of their entire relationship, a single page, a single unit of this 22 page book worth a thousand words, worth more than all the many many pages and many many words spent on getting to this point in the tedious “Lex Luthor: Man of Steel”. But for others, its just an image. A comic book caricature that doesn’t show the whole story, doesn’t dive into them as people.

There’s the suicide girl page everyone likes, but to show the opposite of that “perfect” compact scene, here’s a similar one where JMS spends MANY words and several pages of this 22 page book getting to a giant splash page that doesn’t have any of the elemental power of that one page and its perfect dialog choices.

For fuck’s sake man, that was like half the issue for this shit, and the suicide girl was one page, one idea, one compelling comic book sequence of many in that tour-de-force issue.

But that’s me, and that’s my taste. I look at something like “Clown at Midnight”, which all its flowery, nauseating purple prose and awful awful artwork, jerking off to its overblown alliteration. “casually, the coffin crushes Charlie cheesemold’s sternum to splinters and splits…”. FUCK YOU I wanted to read a comic book.

Just Concise

ElNarez

Banned
The thing that stuck with me about Morrison is how he describes the process of writing comic dialogue. "Headlines written by a poet" is the phrase he used, and, yeah, that's pretty much good and right.

^we need Deadpool and Deathstroke going against each other!
Pax America thoughts for Veelk:

So Pax is a pretty fascinating comic for me, conceptually and in practice it is absolutely brilliant and unlike some of the other Multiversity one shots I don't see any way it could ever work as an on going series. It's obviously a reaction to Miller and Moore and the bits of dark n gritty they introduced and popularized into modern comics. This should surprise no one really because Morrison has very publically decried those themes, it's probably his magnum opus in that regards honestly. As a comic story it's just so perfectly conceived and executed, Morrison and Quitely created a comic that can literally be read forwards and backwards to tell it's story (when reading it in reverse, the panels depicting the president's assassination through to the cover of the comic are absolutely perfect). I don't think it's even important whether or not Algorithm 8 works or not, you can pretty easily make a case that it's simply a manifestation of the President's guilt over killing his father as a child. I think it's a more interesting story if you consider that Atom knows this plan will fail, but goes through with it any way simply because that's the way it has to be. He can see their origins and he can see their endings, but he never makes a case for being able to change those beginnings or endings. The door may open both ways, but only if Atom wants to or believes it's the way things were always going to. I've been toying with the idea that nothing Atom tells the president is actually in reference to what is happening in their reality, but rather broader statements about the multiversal crisis. In the end the door did open both ways for Nix and company, and that's how they were
able to stave off the attempts of the Gentry and see the dark version of Ultraa on his throne with the empty hand.
With all that said, Thunderworld was my favorite issue of the lot, because it was just so pitch perfect.

If you're not a fan of Morrison already, I don't see this as being the book to flip the switch for you. Something smaller in scope like We3 or Joe the Barbarian might be better starting points, they're undeniably Morrison, but a bit easier to digest and dive into.
Just wanted to say I really like your posts on Multiversity, tim. I fully agree with your interpretation on the last issue almost word for word.

Not quite sure what my favorite issue was though. I really loved Thunderworld just because I'm a sucker for those kind of happy-go-lucky golden-agey stories and their color palettes. Ultra Comics was just a really fun read as well and Guidebook was way better than I ever imagined it to be. Beyond that it's all kinda up in the air.

tim1138

Quoting for a new page because holy shit guys, thanks.

How does Nix tie into being a character in Earth Prime but also into the hero struggle. In Final Crisis, Nix was a monitor who was outcast to Earth Prime. In Multiversity, he is that Earth Prime outcast dreaming about being that last monitor in this huge story. I'm trying to piece the meanings of that together.

Nix is our avatar in the story, ultimately we are all the Monitor and Superjudge of the stories we read and the fictions we create about them in our heads. Nix taking on the Gentry and becoming corrupted is the reader becoming too involved in the minutiae of the stories and looking for meaning then is there. He gets his $800 and his happy ending, because that's what we all want, our own happy endings and whatever our own $800 struggle may be. We may be the God/Devils and keepers of the Oblivion Machine, but we are also observers and Monitors. Every week we come in here and judge the stuff we read and ultimately decide it's fate--does it succumb to gentrification and become just another book on our lists, or does it stave off that through creativity and sheer force of will? We are Nix Uotan,

Nix is our avatar in the story, ultimately we are all the Monitor and Superjudge of the stories we read and the fictions we create about them in our heads. Nix taking on the Gentry and becoming corrupted is the reader becoming too involved in the minutiae of the stories and looking for meaning then is there. He gets his $800 and his happy ending, because that's what we all want, our own happy endings and whatever our own $800 struggle may be. We may be the God/Devils and keepers of the Oblivion Machine, but we are also observers and Monitors. Every week we come in here and judge the stuff we read and ultimately decide it's fate--does it succumb to gentrification and become just another book on our lists, or does it stave off that through creativity and sheer force of will? We are Nix Uotan,

Fantastic! This is what makes it better for me was figuring out who Nix is. I had suspicions he was us but nothing positive. What is the line of the rent collector at the end? Something about not making excuses. My comics are boxed up.

tim1138

^we need Deadpool and Deathstroke going against each other!

Just wanted to say I really like your posts on Multiversity, tim. I fully agree with your interpretation on the last issue almost word for word.

Not quite sure what my favorite issue was though. I really loved Thunderworld just because I'm a sucker for those kind of happy-go-lucky golden-agey stories and their color palettes. Ultra Comics was just a really fun read as well and Guidebook was way better than I ever imagined it to be. Beyond that it's all kinda up in the air.

Thanks man.
It's weird how unsettling Ultra Comics was to read. It's such a simple concept (it was first executed in a children's picture book for goodness sake), but it's executed so flawlessly that it really is almost disturbing to read that issue.

ElNarez

Banned

I was checking Final Crisis, and then you went and done nailed it. Nix wasn't cast out to Earth Prime, he got an happy ending, and became the protagonist of another story, where he's just a kid reading comic books.

The whole Superjudge thing is just a projection of himself as the continuation of the Final Crisis story, where he's the last Monitor, protecting the Multiverse after everyone left.

Fantastic! This is what makes it better for me was figuring out who Nix is. I had suspicions he was us but nothing positive. What is the line of the rent collector at the end? Something about not making excuses. My comics are boxed up.

"No more byzantine implausible excuses", which is a goof because the entire reason he got the cash is byzantine and implausible.

tim1138

The biggest clue as to the real meaning of what we were all reading is the last bit of narration from Harbinger on the final page: "And then it was continued thereafter. Unto all eternity." The story will always go on.

ElNarez

Banned
The biggest clue as to the real meaning of what we were all reading is the last bit of narration from Harbinger on the final page: "And then it was continued thereafter. Unto all eternity." The story will always go on.

Oh, so you mean the fire burns forever?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Eh...maybe in such a way that it doesn't break the illusion of the story being a genuine thing, which of course is a subjective matter. I dislike ever saying something will never work, because I try to keep as open a mind as possible.

For me, the key point has to be that the story is just authentic. It can't turn into a lecture on anything. I guess the closest example would be avatar the last airbender with various messages you could extrapolate, but it never went up to you and straight up said "War is wrong!" or anything. The closest is the katara episode on revenge, and I'd easily argue that's one of the weaker episodes. It was always mostly concerned with creating real characters.

Its honestly a bigger problem with Morrison because he's so loud about his beliefs. If the creators keep quiet, it's harder to assume anything about them through their work, which I try not to take as an indication of their personal beliefs.

You should try something of his divorced from superhero comics. I feel We3 gets that reaction. Though I wouldn't expect We3 or Joe the Barbarian to give you an epiphany on Morrison's superhero work. But you might like them better all the same.

Vyer

As for All Star Superrman....*sigh*, Look I really don't want to go into this right now, because it'd take up as much text as Pax to explain fully. And I'd probably have to reread it, because I haven't read it in a year or more. But it depicts a world that, for lack of a better phrase, I don't believe in. The thing I remember most about is how absurdly ineffective those who opposed Superman were, particularly lex luthor, and I don't mean necessarily in power. Any time Luthor tried to justify his hatred, the flaws of his arguments were as blatant as a brick to the face. He remarks about how men who actually want to be superman draw their eyebrows unconciously like his, he does it a few panels later, all without any self awareness of what it implies about him. Compare that to Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, where Luthor made compelling and articulate arguments for his being against man of steel. We got a strong sense of interiority on the character, able to legitimately see his viewpoint. Luthor came across as a raving idiot while superman is just the guy pinching the top of his nose, trying to be the adult in the situation with the manchild. All of Superman's opponents had ineffective philosophies. Atlas and the other dude were shallow jerks that wanted to bang lois, the kryptonians admitted they were wrong like an after school special, and I know I keep coming back to this point, none of the characters felt like real people. The world was one which was designed to have evil be defeated by good, constantly and easily, without any casualties. I know people died in ASS, but I felt like it's only on the allowance of superman that it happens. Pa Kent died not because there was no way to save him, but because Superman allowed it. It's kind of why that page with the suicidal girl falls flat to me. There is no way that this world would allow her to die. She could have jumped, hit the ground, and I'd sooner believe that it would spontaneously turn into marshmellows that save her than believe that she would have died on impact. Somehow, someway, she was going to live and get better, no matter what. That's just the way this world works and it's not a world I can believe in, no matter how hard I try. So I can't get any warm and fuzzy feels from it. It's too fake. I don't know if it necessarily was preaching at me, but it was a work of solid idealism to the extent that I could not accept.

And for the record, I'd like to emphasize again that I haven't read ASS in forever. And I've actually experienced a period of artistic growth in the last two years, where my values of what is good writing have shifted. Maybe if I reread ASS, I'd get a different reading of it. But the above is a fraction of the few things I do remember about my experience reading it.

?

I would say probably that if you've only been reading comics for a few years, that might take a lot of the impact of All Star away. Part of what I love about it is how it weaves in and out of what's almost a Superman history lesson, touching on aspects of the character and its mythos that have been so prevalent over the years.

I never really felt that it was preachy in any way, or that the world was 'unbelievable', though I don't really consider the effectiveness of the villains to be that barometer in this story.

The story is much less about, imo, whether or not this is a book that would allow a girl to actually hit the pavement as it is about Superman being there and what he would say to prevent it.

frye

Gave my copy of superior foes to one of my new Co workers. Thought it would be fine. Got it back today. It was left in my bag like this.

Seems my new Co workers are just as bad as my last co workers. Won't happen me again.

Fuck sake.

yo wtf

Cade

Avengers was good bros but damned if it doesn't mean I'm free of anything to get hyped about now

besides arkham knight and stuff... but ain't no hype like avengers hype

Mudcrab

AoU was definitely better than Avengers. I kind of agree with
the complaints about Ultron being too jokey. It didn't ruin the movie but it felt too Whedony and I like Whedon. Also legit shook at QS.

Star Wars ep 7 is the real hype for me. Seeing avengers feels more like an obligation

AoU is to Civil War as Convergence is to Darkseid War. If that makes any sense, it feels like it will be filler and the real Avengers 2 is Civil War. Suppose I'll find out tomorrow.

AoU was definitely better than Avengers. I kind of agree with
the complaints about Ultron being too jokey. It didn't ruin the movie but it felt too Whedony and I like Whedon. Also legit shook at QS.

Yes, but
Hank Pym wasn't a factor here (as Ultron's creator), and they had to make Ultron somewhat derivative of Tony Stark. I think that's why Ultron was more humorous than expected.
Honestly, I loved it.

Cade

Star Wars ep 7 is the real hype for me. Seeing avengers feels more like an obligation

I can't fuck with anything SW outside the EU and nothing about EP7 screams promising to me. I'll see who ends up with 8 and 9, but Rian Johnson's Star Wars sounds more visually and story-interesting than JJ Abrams'.

I can't fuck with anything SW outside the EU and nothing about EP7 screams promising to me. I'll see who ends up with 8 and 9, but Rian Johnson's Star Wars sounds more visually and story-interesting than JJ Abrams'.

dk7h7D8.gif

Cade

Oh. I'm not even a Star Trek guy and Star Trek was so bad it made me hate Chris Pine who I already disliked for some reason. And JJ Abrams. I haven't seen enough other Abrams work to REALLY judge, but that was just such a butchery that I can't sanction him ruining two sci-fi franchises.

And yes, Looper was awesome visually with its 80s sci-fi throwback look. Would be great fit for Star Trek.

I'll be honest though I've only seen three out of the six Star Wars movies 'cause my interest in the series is mostly relegated to the games, some comics... mostly the games..

Oh. I'm not even a Star Trek guy and Star Trek was so bad it made me hate Chris Pine who I already disliked for some reason. And JJ Abrams. I haven't seen enough other Abrams work to REALLY judge, but that was just such a butchery that I can't sanction him ruining two sci-fi franchises.

And yes, Looper was awesome visually with its 80s sci-fi throwback look. Would be great fit for Star Trek.

I'll be honest though I've only seen three out of the six Star Wars movies 'cause my interest in the series is mostly relegated to the games, some comics... mostly the games..

I definitely liked Looper.

But as to Star Trek, I was never what would qualify as a Trekkie, but I've watched my fair share of late-night Next Generation and Deep Space Nine reruns. I was always more of a Star Wars guy, though, and JJ Abrams approach made Star Trek more appealing to me in that regard.

Cade

I definitely liked Looper.

But as to Star Trek, I was never what would qualify as a Trekkie, but I've watched my fair share of late-night Next Generation and Deep Space Nine reruns. I was always more of a Star Wars guy, though, and JJ Abrams approach made Star Trek more appealing to me in that regard.

Oh good, Looper was awesome. We're cool again.

Abrams' Star Trek's characters just all rubbed me the wrong way for them already being established characters. As an adaptation it was.. odd.

Back to comics OT I GUESS

As I'm quite feeling the Avengers Hype™, are there any modern-ish Avengers things I should be reading on Marvel Unlimited? BMB's New Avengers? I know Hickman's new stuff is good but I'm not done with his FF yet.

I reread Multiversity 1&2 and the discussion tonight helped so much. I was able to formulate my thoughts and everyone else's and it made it so much better which is actually the theme of Ultra Comics.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yesss. It had been too long since we had a solid Morrison discussion. That was some good reading.

I don't like being preached to. It doesn't matter the message. I just don't think that's what art is for. If that's just Morrison trying to preach Nihilism to me instead of Idealism, then it'll probably get the same reaction. If you have comics where you feel Morrison is just genuinely trying to depict the nature of life in someway, you can recommend me that.

I would definitely recommend Doom Patrol. To me it's all about the nature of life. You could see it differently, however.

Officer Downe is insane. Chris Burnham is sooooo good at drawing ultraviolence, especially dismemberment and eyes popping out of skulls

I still really need to pick that up. Glad you enjoyed it!

I really wish I could tell you (I really do) but I don't remember anything about it, it's been a loooong time since I read it. I just remember it being a drag. The last time it was brought up here I think most of us agreed that we didn't like it.

Agreed. Clown at Midnight is by far my least favorite Morrison thing. The writing to me was just plain boring and the "art" was absolutely horrid. I think in the context of an actual book maybe I would've enjoyed the story more, but when I sit down to read a comic, I expect a comic, not 20-ish pages of prose. That mindset definitely played a part in souring it for me.

Pick-up post from April, a lot of reading to do.

Very nice! That The Filth OHC looks pretty fancy. I might want to pick that up someday.

Gave my copy of superior foes to one of my new Co workers. Thought it would be fine. Got it back today. It was left in my bag like this.

Seems my new Co workers are just as bad as my last co workers. Won't happen me again.

Fuck sake.

What.

Holy shit guys. Ultron was a fucking masterpiece of awesome comic movies. I can't even. Perfectly and organically balancing new characters in a way that made x men movies look like Times Square shots in 80s movies. And so delightfully funny, so many incredible action sequences, and it had so many moments that could resonate with fans but weren't completely dull or impenetrable to the non-reader. Textbook. Just perfection.

Cade

Holy shit guys. Ultron was a fucking masterpiece of awesome comic movies. I can't even. Perfectly and organically balancing new characters in a way that made x men movies look like Times Square shots in 80s movies. And so delightfully funny, so many incredible action sequences, and it had so many moments that could resonate with fans but weren't completely dull or impenetrable to the non-reader. Textbook. Just perfection.

I mean, I try to keep my overreactions down to a 7

but I did like that Avengers understands that merely adding a cool character doesn't equal having one, x-men throws in cool characters that disappear midway through for no reason so wolverine can do more stuff

I thought there were too many jokes throughout the movie.

I thought there were too many jokes throughout the movie.

I didn't feel that way. They were so organically done and fun. Loved the whole tone. The MCU is just such a fucking blast. I'm so glad GOTG wasn't a flash in the pan. That kind of approach, right hand throwing a punch, left arm ribbing your buddy, like "yeah, this is all a bit ridiculous, huh. Let's go save the world," is what I've loved about Marvel since I was in the fourth grade. It's what Remender is so fantastic at too. The opening scene in Rage is all that tone distilled into perfect greatness.

Naaaah. Gotta lighten things up man. Can't have everything being all gloom-and-doom through the whole movie.

The only time there was heavy dark moments was when
Scarlet Witch messed with Cap, Widow, Tony, and thor's mind and they started being haunted by their visions and when QS died
. Other than that even without the jokes the movie wasn't all doom and gloom cuz Ultron himself wasn't much of a threatening villain honestly.

I didn't feel that way. They were so organically done and fun. Loved the whole tone. The MCU is just such a fucking blast. I'm so glad GOTG wasn't a flash in the pan. That kind of approach, right hand throwing a punch, left arm ribbing your buddy, like "yeah, this is all a bit ridiculous, huh. Let's go save the world," is what I've loved about Marvel since I was in the fourth grade. It's what Remender is so fantastic at too. The opening scene in Rage is all that tone distilled into perfect greatness.

I just don't think all the jokes worked imo. I think Guardians did the whole buddy comedy thing perfectly like, "Ha look at us jackasses trying to save the world!" Too many one liners for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom