• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Some Nobody

That's the strongest strawman I've seen in this thread since birdie's Bendis gotg posts.

Eh, thats how I feel. Johns isn't perfect either. His Teen Titans ruins the Young Justice squad so he can do 2000s era Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans. Wasn't worth it.

And before Flashpoint he was swapping titles too much. That basically killed the Legion of Super-Heroes before they could stabilize into a proper comic.

Still, those are drops in the bucket compared to the stuff he's nailed IMO.

BB lost money on this and there are no huge pre-orders for Marvel books the very next week like there was with Rebirth(which sold out).

I actually thought the one-shot was pretty good, and judged out of context, I think it would have done a decent job of selling Legacy as a relaunch.

Unfortunately, most of us know that Legacy is just a renumbering stunt and that the large majority of the line is continuing with the same writers.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I decided to read the Battle Chasers comics since I know so many people that have nostalgia for it

This is awful. Oh my goodness, the writing and art is ugly and I loved the look of Darksiders. And I love 90s cheezeball stuff but this is barforama

I decided to read the Battle Chasers comics since I know so many people that have nostalgia for it

This is awful. Oh my goodness, the writing and art is ugly and I loved the look of Darksiders. And I love 90s cheezeball stuff but this is barforama
How did you get a copy?

mreddie

I'm not bothering with Gifted, the premise sounds too much like Heroes and I'm growing tired of government goons after superpowered people, give me more Legion though.

Messi

BB lost money on this and there are no huge pre-orders for Marvel books the very next week like there was with Rebirth(which sold out).

Usually Big Bang has max 10 copies of a regular release. Keep that in mind when they mention percentages. They had lots of Legacy tho. A silly amount tbh.

Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison
I feel like Johns, though he did invent some new characters (and good ones at that), is going to go down far more for his complete reinvention of older characters. JSA alone speaks for itself.
Charles Soule does a pretty good job at making new characters. his Inhumans run obviously introduced a lot of new inhuman characters (Lash, Inferno, Auran, Flint, Swain, Mcgee, Reader, Iso, Lineage) and his Daredevil run has Muse, Tenfingers, and Blindspot, which range from lol-worthy to pretty fucking cool.

Didn't he also introduce a bunch of new wolverine-type characters after Logan's death?
Yeah, but a lot of Soule's characters (specifically Inhumans) haven't been utilized well since. Even by him. Hopefully Secret Warriors will open up more.

Really, the entire Inhumans line has been poorly utilized. Aside from Soule's characters, the only notable ones are Synapse (Duggan) and the one that Cullen Bunn created. Can't recall her name, but she's a dancer with razor arms and razor energy ribbons. He made her during Fearless Defenders and she popped up again during the Mercs for Money IvX tie-in.

VanWinkle

I feel like Johns, though he did invent some new characters (and good ones at that), is going to go down far more for his complete reinvention of older characters. JSA alone speaks for itself.

Yeah, this is probably true, but man. Saint Walker, Hunter Zolomon, Atrocitus, Bleez, Stargirl, Johnny Sorrow, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, Miss Martian, etc. Dude has made some good characters. But yeah, his focus is definitely on making existing stuff feel fresh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so here's a question. Has he been there long enough that Jim Lee is more associated with DC these days than with Marvel?

Is he more associated with Batman than with the X-Men?

that type of stuff always makes me think, mostly with tv actors really, but there is a generation that associates Duchovny with, I dunno, Californication or something, instead of the X-Files. Boreanaz with whatever his Bones character is called instead of Angel. Shit like that.

I feel old fam is what im saying :(

so here's a question. Has he been there long enough that Jim Lee is more associated with DC these days than with Marvel?

Is he more associated with Batman than with the X-Men?

that type of stuff always makes me think, mostly with tv actors really, but there is a generation that associates Duchovny with, I dunno, Californication or something, instead of the X-Files. Boreanaz with whatever his Bones character is called instead of Angel. Shit like that.

I feel old fam is what im saying :(
Jim Lee is more associated with DC as a publisher, but he'll always be held up as one of the most iconic visual styles the X-Men ever had. Like, I can't think of too many as/more iconic for X-Men visuals. Byrne for sure. Maybe Bachalo? Silvestri, probably.

Sandfox

What are the best 1 to 5 volumes in the sale?

There's a lot of stuff I haven't read that's on sale so it's hard to say. The first volume of Ultimate Spider-Man is a popular one and then there's stories people love like Kraven's Last Hunt. Superior is good and there's nice stories in the BND/Big Time era like Big Time, Matters of Life and Death, and Spider-Island.

guysss

Forever Evil was pretty great fun

i'm glad I have some context between Death of the Family & Grayson, too

just read Simon Baz's origin story. gonna pick up JL and see what Jessica Cruz is all about. i'm hoping it has to do with Power Ring from the Crime Syndicate's ring.

>_>

<_<

that'd be putting it mildly :p

Yeah I saw the Big Bang comics sales tweet nailing Marvel last night, the whole tweet thread just seemed like a mix of anger, frustration and sadness from the store on another Marvel screw you for them.

I will always say that Marvel are still doing some great series and whenever anyone tries to call them trash or that DC are destroying them in terms of the amount quality books they are wrong, but the line wide direction, advertising and how they treat the stores that sell there books just seems to get worse and worse.

For Legacy the two major problems I see are the obvious one with the lenticular cover, with Marvel going heavy on the lenticular covers across pretty much all there issues soon why on earth wouldn't you make sure the one your big landmark issue thats moving the line forward isnt a rushed/rubbish job. Then secondly with Legacy if you've read that as a new reader or a returning reader where do you go from there as the next jumping on point, all the Marvel series seem to be in the middle of stories or with the new numbering seem like they are deep in lore and story and are not a place to jump on. Plus the two big character returns that were done in Legacy,
Logan and FF
have no new series on the horizon that people can pre order or get excited about. Seems like theres going to be Legacy, a gap whilst loads of series finish what there doing then a kind of reboot, but by the time they get it Legacy will be forgotten. Just all seems oddly planned :(

Yeah I saw the Big Bang comics sales tweet nailing Marvel last night, the whole tweet thread just seemed like a mix of anger, frustration and sadness from the store on another Marvel screw you for them.

I will always say that Marvel are still doing some great series and whenever anyone tries to call them trash or that DC are destroying them in terms of the amount quality books they are wrong, but the line wide direction, advertising and how they treat the stores that sell there books just seems to get worse and worse.

For Legacy the two major problems I see are the obvious one with the lenticular cover, with Marvel going heavy on the lenticular covers across pretty much all there issues soon why on earth wouldn't you make sure the one your big landmark issue thats moving the line forward isnt a rushed/rubbish job. Then secondly with Legacy if you've read that as a new reader or a returning reader where do you go from there as the next jumping on point, all the Marvel series seem to be in the middle of stories or with the new numbering seem like they are deep in lore and story and are not a place to jump on. Plus the two big character returns that were done in Legacy,
Logan and FF
have no new series on the horizon that people can pre order or get excited about. Seems like theres going to be Legacy, a gap whilst loads of series finish what there doing then a kind of reboot, but by the time they get it Legacy will be forgotten. Just all seems oddly planned :(

Also, promoting the big issue as a prehistoric Avengers issue and then just having like 8 pages with them isn't a good look to the people that bought it for that and not a Ghost Rider versus Starbrand fight.

Also, promoting the big issue as a prehistoric Avengers issue and then just having like 8 pages with them isn't a good look to the people that bought it for that and not a Ghost Rider versus Starbrand fight.

Yeah for sure, I kind of got the point of the starbrand/rider fight as it was a call back to memories from there ancestors in the prehistoric avengers who I'm guessing remembered
the infinity stone there
but I wanted more of those BC avengers. I actually think a BC avengers mini series or something would be a lot of fun, just beating up cosmic visitors and you know angry dinosaurs ha

I know I'm definitely in the minority but I'm not a big fan of Gleasons work so wouldn't recommend the Robin son of batman series. He always seems to just write fan service throw away stuff in my opinion, he can write relationships and some character interactions well but the story that usually has those character moment in just usually seems lacking to me.

ElNarez

Banned
however shit the lenticular cover for Marvel Legacy was, the fold-out cover was just as shit, by virtue of the fact it didn't even cover the book in full

Marvel was aiming for Rebirth but this is even more haphazard than the New 52

ironmang

Looking for some recommendations for new, good series from the past year or two. Preferably something I can pick up a trade or two at NYCC this week. Even better if one or more of the creators will be there so I can get directly from them. Started going trades only sometime last year so I haven't been following really any of the new releases. Not too interested in traditional cape comics but I loved Fraction's Hawkeye and would dip back in for something like that. Thanks.

I want to see them get WRECKED by Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy.

I think theres actually quite a lot play they could get out of making BC versions of more of the avengers than mentioned in Legacy, I think the only thing that would limit them at the moment is there trying not to go too crazy with past lives and making links to modern characters that wouldn't make any sense. Would work really well as an alt universe story, like the Secret Wars mini series were.

For Legacy cover I actually wanted the lenticular but couldnt justify paying the extra few quid at my store just for that, glad I didn't know. I didn't actually mind the fold cover as it reminded me of the 90,s xmen fold out covers they did, but I will say for both versions of the cover the art was pretty shoddy.

They might really have to put some advertising into it if Marvel want people to get there further lenticular covers from here, I remember before the button came out there was loads of promo and people who got the covers early showing them off on social media. That kind of thing helps people get excited.

caliph95

Gifted is a lot better than I thought it would be
Looking for some recommendations for new, good series from the past year or two. Preferably something I can pick up a trade or two at NYCC this week. Even better if one or more of the creators will be there so I can get directly from them. Started going trades only sometime last year so I haven't been following really any of the new releases. Not too interested in traditional cape comics but I loved Fraction's Hawkeye and would dip back in for something like that. Thanks.
Does it have to be completed

Some Nobody

Marvel's NYCC ad. That final line is a little...yeah.

WTF lol. Can we stop pretending like Captain Mar-Vell mattered already? I know his book was supposedly excellent--at least, Grant Morrison raved about it in Supergods--but it happened so long ago that very few people would ever care enough to go back and read it.

Edit: Anyone ever feel like they've read too many comics? Like, I feel like I can't even ask for recommendations anymore. >_<

ironmang

Gifted is a lot better than I thought it would be

Does it have to be completed

Not completed but really would prefer at least a trade even if it's a small one with like 4 issues. If there's something with a stellar start though with a trade coming sometime in the future I'll definitely save it and check it out then.

kmfdmpig

(

The odd thing is that we hear from store after store that Marvel comics aren't selling well, but the actual sales data doesn't seem to reflect that as it's not far off from where things were back when everyone felt like Marvel was dominating. So far this year DC has not caught up even .1 percent compared with Marvel, but the narrative is that Marvel is failing and nothing is working while DC is hitting on all cylinders. It seems like a disconnect between what the numbers say and what people anecdotally say.

Dollar Share so far in 2017:
Marvel - 36.7
DC - 29

2016:
Marvel 37.5
DC 29.8

2015:
Marvel 41.8
DC 27.4

2014:
Marvel 36.8
DC 32.5

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

The odd thing is that we hear from store after store that Marvel comics aren't selling well, but the actual sales data doesn't seem to reflect that as it's not far off from where things were back when everyone felt like Marvel was dominating. So far this year DC has not caught up even .1 percent compared with Marvel, but the narrative is that Marvel is failing and nothing is working while DC is hitting on all cylinders. It seems like a disconnect between what the numbers say and what people anecdotally say.

Marvel - 36.7
DC - 29

2016:
Marvel 37.5
DC 29.8

2015:
Marvel 41.8
DC 27.4

2014:
Marvel 36.8
DC 32.5

That is pretty strange, you really feel like even if Marvel sales were still doing okay there would be a lot more of a DC boost and catch up over those figures. At least I imagine there will be an even bigger jump over the second half of this year with Metal and Doomsday clock sales figures.

Owzers

Marvel - 36.7
DC - 29

2016:
Marvel 37.5
DC 29.8

2015:
Marvel 41.8
DC 27.4

2014:
Marvel 36.8
DC 32.5

The silent majority.

Marvel - 36.7
DC - 29

2016:
Marvel 37.5
DC 29.8

2015:
Marvel 41.8
DC 27.4

2014:
Marvel 36.8
DC 32.5

It seems stores order more comics than they can actually sell. All the variant cover schemes have just hurt stores.

Malyse

i love GraphicAudio's Mistborn adaptations but never tried their comics - which are their best?

and what is madefire?

I liked almost all of them tbqh. I think "Enemies and Allies" and the Batman books are the best for DC, while "Exterminators" and "Last Sons" aren't good. For Marvel, I more or less liked all of them, though of course Ms. Marvel is great because when is she not? Really, just go with whatever comics you like already. If you like Batman, get the Batman books. If you hate Spider-Man, skip that.

Madefire is...

Well, instead of me failing to explain it, let me just show you.
This is madefire

-----

Holy fuck, Kate Leth wrote some Attack on Titan?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I liked almost all of them tbqh. I think "Enemies and Allies" and the Batman books are the best for DC, while "Exterminators" and "Last Sons" aren't good. For Marvel, I more or less liked all of them, though of course Ms. Marvel is great because when is she not? Really, just go with whatever comics you like already. If you like Batman, get the Batman books. If you hate Spider-Man, skip that.

Madefire is...

Well, instead of me failing to explain it, let me just show you.
This is madefire

well i'm on a DC kick, so maybe i'll check out:

Green Lantern: Hero's Journey
Green Lantern: Sleepers
No Man's Land

kmfdmpig

It seems stores order more comics than they can actually sell. All the variant cover schemes have just hurt stores.

We've heard that for at least 2 years though, and it seems crazy to me. If CB stores are so poorly managed that they'll lose money to get lenticular cover copies or will continually order more than they sell then my hat's off to Marvel for duping them week in and week out for years.

well i'm on a DC kick, so maybe i'll check out:

Green Lantern: Hero's Journey
Green Lantern: Sleepers
No Man's Land

No Man's Land is my favorite lengthy Batman story. If you like the Batfamily it's particularly strong (with the exception of one awful Larry Hama issue which sticks out like a sore thumb).

We've heard that for at least 2 years though, and it seems crazy to me. If CB stores are so poorly managed that they'll lose money to get lenticular cover copies or will continually order more than they sell then my hat's off to Marvel for duping them week in and week out for years.
Big Bang did it up to this week. They’re now taking the money that would’ve gone to extra Marvel issues, covers or pre-orders and instead putting it to the smaller publishers.

Top Bottom