• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S5 |OT| From the Executive Producer of Community Seasons 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

One hour premiere January 2nd, 2014 at 8/7c!
mdF1gzj.png

3qsh9ar.png

For those of you just joining us...

community_malcolmmcdowell.jpg

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. They've retooled Community a bit so that all you need to know going into this upcoming season is that Jeff (Joel McHale) graduated last season, failed in his lawyer career, and is coming back this year to find another job at Greendale, the community college he graduated from. That's it.

Xd56DL4.png

normal_3760.jpg

Jeff Winger played by Joel McHale

Jeff was once a highly successful defense attorney with the law firm Hamish, Hamish, and Hamlin. For over six years, he specialized in juvenile and traffic offenses, as well as DUI/DWA/DUID cases. During this period, he successfully defended Ian Duncan from a DUI, and they developed a friendship. After a successful case in which he defended a stripper named Mysti, Colorado Bar Association began scrutinizing his background. His rival and friend Alan Connor, then betrayed him by sending the CBA an incriminating email, revealing that Jeff did not receive a bachelor's degree from Columbia University but, in fact, got one that was "less than legitimate" and "better than real" from the country of Colombia. He strikes a deal with the bar in order to prevent him from being disbarred, on the condition that he graduate from an existing college with an actual degree. While brainstorming the right college to attend, he ate at a frozen-yogurt restaurant, and overheard a conversation detailing the ease of graduation from Greendale Community College. Remembering that Ian Duncan was a professor there, Jeff decided to attend in hopes that Duncan would help him graduate as quickly as possible.

normal_3761.jpg

Britta Perry played by Gillian Jacobs

Britta Perry is a student at Greendale Community College She has never really known what she wanted to do with her life and has experienced difficulty juggling her life and problems within large organizations. Britta was born in Riverside, Colorado in October 1980. Britta has two older brothers, one of whom works with children with some type of special disorder in a hospital. On her eleventh birthday, an eager-handed man in a dinosaur costume intruded in on her party at a restaurant; this event has haunted her into adulthood. Britta dropped out of high school because she thought it would impress Radiohead and joined a group of anarchists who vandalized billboards. She was successful at recruiting new members but was kicked out for not being anarchist enough. She joined the Peace Corps, did some foot modeling, attended a world-trade rally where she was tear-gassed, and visited Africa. One day, Britta woke up and realized she was "almost thirty and flat broke," thus prompting her to enroll at Greendale to find some direction.

normal_3748.jpg

Abed Nadir played by Danny Pudi

Abed is a student at Greendale Community College, so he can one day take over his father's falafel restaurant. Abed's birthday was revealed in "Critical Film Studies" on March 24. Abed had a difficult life growing up, due in part to his parents. His father is a Palestinian from Gaza and his mother Polish American, which was a source of cultural discord. On top of that, Abed's undiagnosed psychological condition also put more strain on the relationship. His mother left his family when he was 6 years old and Abed assumed his father blamed him for it. This created distance between them and resulted in Abed alienating himself further by immersing himself in American pop-culture. His father allowed him to enroll at Greendale Community College primarily so he could take classes which would help him one day take over his dad's Falafel restaurant. Eventually he convinces his father to let him study Film making instead.

normal_3762.jpg

Annie Edison played by Alison Brie

Annie was a very good student with a 4.0 GPA at Riverside High School, which she attended with fellow study group member Troy Barnes. She lost her college scholarship and dropped out of high school due to an addiction to Adderall, which induced a nervous breakdown that culminated in her jumping through a plate glass window yelling, "Everyone's a robot!". Against the wishes of her mother, she chose to confront the addiction. Her decision to go to rehab instead of trying to ignore the incident caused her to become estranged from her family (especially her mother), from whom she has since cut off all ties. With the exception of one of her grandmother, who seems to be the only one reaching out. She began attending Greendale Community College at the age of 18, and it's hinted that one of the main reasons is because her high school crush Troy was going there as well. However, since attending Greendale she has developed a crush on Jeff Winger.

normal_3764.jpg

Troy Barnes played by Donald Glover

Troy is a graduate from Riverside High School who currently attends Greendale Community College. At Riverside, Troy was a popular student who was the star quarterback of the football team and also the prom king. He had many admirers at school including his fellow classmate at the time Annie Edison who would later join him at Greendale. He had the interest of many elite universities but couldn't handle the pressure of other people's expectations. The night before the game that the college recruiters were to attend, he intentionally dislocated both of his shoulders (or injured his knee, accounts vary) doing a keg flip at a party. Troy's self inflicted injuries left him with few options for a higher education. Greendale came to his attention after being handed a promotional flyer by Ben Chang while hanging out with his friends at the Greendale Mall. Ultimately he chose the school because it was close to his house, and because he saw a late night commercial for Greendale which had a student giving a thumbs up sign in a "cool way."

normal_3749.jpg

Shirley Bennett played by Yvette Nicole Brown

Shirley began the series as a recently-divorced woman who is taking courses at Greendale Community College to learn how to make a business out of her baking skills. Before enrolling at Greendale, Shirley was a married stay at home mom with her two sons, Jordan and Elijah. However, her husband Andre left her and the family for a stripper. It's implied that in this dark time in her life she started drinking heavily. Despite her hardships, she claims that her husband leaving was the best thing that happened to her and that attending Greendale was her first step in improving her life. She has since made up with and remarried Andre, had another child with him and opened a sandwich shop in the Greendale Cafeteria. She is portrayed by actress Yvette Nicole Brown.

normal_3746.jpg

Dean Pelton played by Jim Rash

Dean Craig Pelton is the well-meaning, however somewhat floundering and sexually-agnostic dean of Greendale Community College. Craig has been an educator for 10 years, with four of those years being dean at Greendale. All of the previous schools he has worked at are no longer in existence. ("Basic Rocket Science"). Since his first day at Greendale, enrollment has grown 25%. One of his biggest changes was renaming the school's team name from "The Greendale Grizzlies" to the "Greendale Human Beings." Along with Pierce Hawthorne he also created the new school mascot, the Greendale Human Being. Dean Pelton also teaches a class on PA announcing; a student in the spring 2011 semester was named Manuel.

normal_3758.jpg

Buzz Hickey played by Johnathan Banks

Professor Hickey is the Criminology professor at Greendale Community College. He has an intense personality as well as a mysterious background in military and police work. Not much is known about him as he is introduced this upcoming season.

Senor_Chang_Season_one.jpg

Ben Chang played by Ken Jeong

Benjamin Franklin "Ben" Chang, who was also known as Kevin, was a former teacher, student and security guard at Greendale Community College. He has a twin sister he claims to have eaten in utero and a brother known only as Rabbi Chang. It's revealed he learned Spanish from Sesame Street which he used to fake his way to a career as a Spanish teacher at Greendale. He was once married to Latina lady named Alessandra but they divorced when she learned he had an affair with Shirley Bennett. Chang lived briefly with Jeff Winger, then secretly in the vents of the school with Annie's Boobs, and also in a storage closet next to Hot & Brown. Chang's hobbies include paintball, playing keytar, and riding his scooter; he used to swim regularly at the local YMCA. At one point he claimed to have amnesia and wanted to be called "Kevin". He eventually dropped that ruse, went to jail for his crimes and is now on a work-release program employed at Greendale as a Math teacher.

898C8uG.png

First Season 5 Promo
First Full Trailer
Inside Look
Second "Epic" Trailer
Chang Clip

92EzBt0.png

Repilot 5x01 said:
Jeff returns to Greendale to help his former law partner gather evidence for a lawsuit; thinking Jeff is planning to help save the school, Dean Pelton calls the study group back together.

Introduction to Teaching 5x02 said:
Jeff returns to Greendale to help his former law partner gather evidence for a lawsuit; thinking Jeff is planning to help save the school, Dean Pelton calls the study group back together.

eKbNYWK.png

Official Community Twitter
Community Reddit Community
Community Wikia
Community Season 1 OT
Community Season 2 OT
Community Season 3 OT
Community Season 4 OT
"Dan Harmon Sucks" - The Unofficial Community/Dan Harmon site created by our very own snesfreak (may he RIP in peace)

I know, a huge step down from last season's OT but I've been really busy lately and just wanted to get the essentials down.

I'll update as the season goes along! #sixseasonsandamovie

Alright, I stopped watching season 4 after the first episode, but I think I want to watch this again. Should I watch season 4 too or just skip it. It's no biggie but I want to know if it's worth a damn.

Lijik

Alright, I stopped watching season 4 after the first episode, but I think I want to watch this again. Should I watch season 4 too or just skip it. It's no biggie but I want to know if it's worth a damn.

The Puppet and Freaky Friday eps (penned by Jim Rash!) are the two I've recommended people to watch from that season. The Origins ep is also alright and I guess maybe the finale since it does set up the interim events of season 5.

You could probably just skip the whole thing to be honest, i think its mostly middling throughout.

Mariolee

The Puppet and Freaky Friday eps (penned by Jim Rash!) are the two I've recommended people to watch from that season. The Origins ep is also alright and I guess maybe the finale since it does set up the interim events of season 5.

You could probably just skip the whole thing to be honest, i think its mostly middling throughout.

Yup. Those four are the primary ones, but I'd also recommend the Germans episode too. Thought that one was hilarious.

Mistle

No Chevy is disappointing but still, if it's as well written as the older episodes then it probably won't matter too much

Joni

Subscribed. I'm at season 2 right now (got the 4-season boxset at Black Friday) but I'll easily be through the show by the time it restarts. Can't wait to see what they"ll do.

I expect big things from this season. Every piece of news I've heard about it has seemed like a great direction for the show.

Zeppu

I too skipped S4. Could someone give me a summary of what happened? I thought everyone would've graduated by now. I saw Jeff's story in the OP but what about the others?

Slevin

Yes! I still can't believe this season is happening. Jeff as a professor at Greendale is all kinds of awesome to me.

Pryce

One of my favorite shows of the past 5+ years.

Btw, I still haven't watched the finale. Not sure if I should.

Strike

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the last season, but as long as it goes out on a high note I'm in.

Mariolee

I too skipped S4. Could someone give me a summary of what happened? I thought everyone would've graduated by now. I saw Jeff's story in the OP but what about the others?

We don't know. We can only assume they graduated, and it looks like from the new Chang clip they reenrolled.

Batigol

Banned
This show has me so conflicted

I loved S1 and S2, but S3 was so disappointing that I didn't even bother with S4 (which by all accounts was terrible)

Now S5 is supposed to be a return to form.

What do I do gaf

Mariolee

This show has me so conflicted

I loved S1 and S2, but S3 was so disappointing that I didn't even bother with S4 (which by all accounts was terrible)

Now S5 is supposed to be a return to form.

What do I do gaf

It's a fucking TV show. No need to be dramatic, just watch it lol

Like I said, Community season 5 has been retooled so that anyone can jump in at 5x01.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's 6 hours long and has some good moments. Just borrow the DVD's or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I liked the first half of season one more than the second half, I liked season one as a whole more than season two, I liked season two more than season three, and I liked season three more than season four. I don't think there's another TV show, on any network, ever, I could say that for.

Mariolee

I liked the first half of season one more than the second half, I liked season one as a whole more than season two, I liked season two more than season three, and I liked season three more than season four. I don't think there's another TV show, on any network, ever, I could say that for.

If I'm reading this correctly, there's never been network show ever thats become, in your opinion, worse as the series goes on?

ivysaur12

Banned
If I'm reading this correctly, there's never been network show ever thats become, in your opinion, worse as the series goes on?

I think what Stump means is that the show has consistently gotten (for him) worse and worse instead of maybe having an up or down year. I can't really think of a show like that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

None quite so quickly and with quite such consistency. I liked the show best when it was grounded, sort of slacker fantasy. It's gotten less grounded. I'm obviously impressed by some of the experiments on a creative level but I think it makes the show, I dunno, less appealing. In general I feel like most of the character development past Mixology Certification has been not very enjoyable. I really liked the score and music they used in the early part of season 1, which I thought had a sort of bouncy ebullience... but that's receded. I never liked Pierce, I haven't liked Chang since he got promoted from recurring to starring, the Dean works best in smaller doses and yet his role has expanded. I think Troy has sucked since the bizarre he's-not-fit-for-real-university-but-he's-a-trade-savant twist. I agree that Britta didn't work as a sort of compelling central romantic lead but I think everything they've done with her since then has kinda been a mess. Shirley I could take or leave. Abed is alright but I felt most of season 3 and season 4 was indulgent and pretty detached from reality as far as he was concerned.

Given the rather steady shedding in the ratings and the fact that the show got less critical buzz in S3 and S4, I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I'm interested to see what Harmon brings to the table this season. I hope the hiatus gave him a renewed creative energy. At this point the show is pretty low investment for me, I'll watch it but it's not something I'm really, I dunno, fixated on or looking forward to.

I feel like a jerk for kinda being a cynic in a room full of people so excited to see what they hope is a new dawn for the show. I'll end on a positive note. There are some things I like in recent seasons. The Dean and Jeff doing karaoke is one of the best individual scenes of the series to me. It's something that gives me gut-busting, side-splitting laughter. The background images are so asinine, Jeff's off-key singing versus the Dean's enthusiasm, the terrible transitions, the awful camera zooms that echo the worst of community access TV, the montage cuts to Pierce's bizarre rat pack fantasy flashback, and especially the ending shot with Jeff doing the outreached arm and the wistful look into the distance. It's masterful.

Metal-Geo

Can't feckin' wait. Even after the disappointing season 4.

Oddly enough, I didn't miss Pierce at all after watching the epic trailer. It's like season 4 made him successfully obsolete. Good riddance... I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom