• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S5 |OT| From the Executive Producer of Community Seasons 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go back and watch season one to see how the series was originally intended to be.
Britta was the hot one who was going to have the sexual tension with Jeff, Annie was besotted with Troy, who was still a bit of an arrogant jock/jerk who wasn't too friendly with Abed, etc.

and season one Jeff who hosted the VGX...

beat

Go back and watch season one to see how the series was originally intended to be.
Britta was the hot one who was going to have the sexual tension with Jeff, Annie was besotted with Troy, who was still a bit of an arrogant jock/jerk who wasn't too friendly with Abed, etc.

I think Harmon should get credit, not villification, for steering into what worked. For example, if you look at the Scrubs pilot, Elliot Reid was supposed to be a bitchy character, not a klutz. But Sarah Chalke played the latter better than the former so the Scrubs writers adapted to the actor's strengths. Here, the Community writers eased up on Jeff/Britta pretty fast, they stopped pushing Troy-Pierce really early because Troy-Abed caught fire almost immediately...

gabbo

I think Harmon should get credit, not villification, for steering into what worked. For example, if you look at the Scrubs pilot, Elliot Reid was supposed to be a bitchy character, not a klutz. But Sarah Chalke played the latter better than the former so the Scrubs writers adapted to the actor's strengths. Here, the Community writers eased up on Jeff/Britta pretty fast, they stopped pushing Troy-Pierce really early because Troy-Abed caught fire almost immediately...

Harmon pushed Jeff/Annie which also doesn't work at all. Jeff and Britta work much better when it's not about Jeff chasing her, just look at Herstory of Dance.

Mariolee

I seriously don't get Harmon's obsession over Jeff/Annie.

Jeff/Britta makes much more sense when it's chill and whatnot, as mentioned, in Herstory of Dance or even Cooperative Escapism. That's one of the things I loved about Season 4, they were pushing towards Jeff/Britta again. <3

OnPoint

This is how things happen in real life sometimes too, you know. People don't always stay on the path they start on.

The Jeff/Annie pairing works for me because Annie represents everything Jeff isn't. Being more like Annie, allowing her to be a greater influence in his life would improve him as a person. But I like that it comes attached to a large age difference, making it something of a questionable choice at the same time.

Joni

Finally through the show so I'm allowed into the topic.

Harmon pushed Jeff/Annie which also doesn't work at all. Jeff and Britta work much better when it's not about Jeff chasing her, just look at Herstory of Dance.
Honestly, Jeff and Britta works as a friendship, not a relationship. They're best when they can support each other for their emotional problems, but that wouldn't work if they're each others problem. Annie on the other hand is the anti-Jeff and they both build each other up as persons. The Freaky Friday episode for instance shows he still cares, but that wouldn't work if they just wanted to sleep together.

The Jeff/Annie pairing works for me because Annie represents everything Jeff isn't. Being more like Annie, allowing her to be a greater influence in his life would improve him as a person. But I like that it comes attached to a large age difference, making it something of a questionable choice at the same time.
I agree. Jeff and Britta as a couple means two headstrong people that would essentially the same. After the kiss of season 1 you get the feeling Jeff wants to be better to be the man Annie wants.

gabbo

Awww
They didn't graduate... even though it was never implied they did last season anyway.
Hmmmm

Finally through the show so I'm allowed into the topic.

Honestly, Jeff and Britta works as a friendship, not a relationship. They're best when they can support each other for their emotional problems, but that wouldn't work if they're each others problem. Annie on the other hand is the anti-Jeff and they both build each other up as persons. The Freaky Friday episode for instance shows he still cares, but that wouldn't work if they just wanted to sleep together.

I agree. Jeff and Britta as a couple means two headstrong people that would essentially the same. After the kiss of season 1 you get the feeling Jeff wants to be better to be the man Annie wants.
Jeff and Annie will only work if the writers stop making it a father/daughter infantilization joke and just go with it

Emarv

Jeff and Annie still just creeps me out. I was fine with Jeff and Britta, and Troy and Annie, but whatever.

Mariolee

Awww
They didn't graduate... even though it was never implied they did last season anyway.
Hmmmm

Jeff and Annie will only work if the writers stop making it a father/daughter infantilization joke and just go with it

Agreed.

Jeff and Annie still just creeps me out. I was fine with Jeff and Britta, and Troy and Annie, but whatever.

Actually, I ship Annie more with Abed, but maybe that's just because of how much chemistry they have with each off set.

gabbo

Actually, I ship Annie more with Abed, but maybe that's just because of how much chemistry they have with each off set.

The characters also seem to have really good chemistry when they're off on their own (he's her Han Solo after all)

Joni

I seem to be suffering from withdrawal symptoms since I finished season 4. Can't stop thinking about Britta and Annie. And wondering why Jeff never tried to get them both into bed together.

I seriously don't get Harmon's obsession over Jeff/Annie.

Jeff/Britta makes much more sense when it's chill and whatnot, as mentioned, in Herstory of Dance or even Cooperative Escapism. That's one of the things I loved about Season 4, they were pushing towards Jeff/Britta again. <3

I always thought it was more for comedy purposes. I think Harmon probably saw more comedic value in dealing with Jeff/Annie stuff because it would be more awkward and "creepy" with the age difference and things of that nature. More material to work with. With Jeff/Britta, it would be harder to avoid a cliche sitcom back-and-forth and ultimate relationship arc.

I think the Jeff/Annie stuff was specifically meant to screw with people wanting to see a "friends" style relationship bloom

Joni

Once Gillian Jacobs asked for Britta to become dumber, a Jeff/Britta pairing also became a lot harder. If she is dumb enough to sleep with guys like Blade, Jeff should have no problems getting her in a relationship.

Once Gillian Jacobs asked for Britta to become dumber, a Jeff/Britta pairing also became a lot harder. If she is dumb enough to sleep with guys like Blade, Jeff should have no problems getting her in a relationship.

I have never heard of an actor asking for their character to become dumber. Sure, it might make comedic sense.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Very informative. Harmon is an interesting person.

The Repilot thing has me intrigued. According to the article,
the characters all graduated, all of them, but are now going back to college for random reasons. Let's call them "plot devices" or "macguffins".
Can't wait to see how this comes out.

I was also surprised, but not really, to hear that season 4 got the same ratings as season 3. Which says a lot. It shows that people follow the show wherever it goes no matter what. Even if it's terrible, they watch it. So let's hope season 5 keeps up the ratings (Or gets better ones, damn you, BBT) enough to get a 6th season as foretold by season 2. (If only to get the 3 episodes remaining to make it 100) I just wish it could have gotten a back 9, unless it's not too late, but it probably is, and we should be happy we have the 13 we have.

Two weeks left as of tomorrow. Two weeks. My body is ready.

Mugiwara

Neo Member
I'm so happy there's a season 5 and I'm glad Harmon is back. Last season was just...off. However, I've accepted that the ratings will be terrible. It's just not a mainstream comedy. Hoping for as much Community as they can continue to make!

gabbo

the characters all graduated, all of them, but are now going back to college for random reasons. Let's call them "plot devices" or "macguffins".

Can't say I'm a fan of this particular idea, but I'll wait and see.

Also, my body is ready as well.

beat

I've read spoilers for at least where Jeff, Shirley, and Annie are in their lives that explain why they're back. I don't remember what about Abed, Troy, or Britta though.

Mariolee

I was also surprised, but not really, to hear that season 4 got the same ratings as season 3. Which says a lot. It shows that people follow the show wherever it goes no matter what. Even if it's terrible, they watch it. So let's hope season 5 keeps up the ratings (Or gets better ones, damn you, BBT) enough to get a 6th season as foretold by season 2. (If only to get the 3 episodes remaining to make it 100) I just wish it could have gotten a back 9, unless it's not too late, but it probably is, and we should be happy we have the 13 we have.

Two weeks left as of tomorrow. Two weeks. My body is ready.

It is too late for a back 9.

Honestly from my group of friends who watch Community, a lot of them didn't notice a big difference from Season 4 and Season 3 until I told them, and even then they didn't really care.

blamite

So assuming that season 6 happens, what are the chances it'll be a full 22 episodes? Is there much precedent for a show switching to 13 episode seasons then switching back?

Mariolee

So assuming that season 6 happens, what are the chances it'll be a full 22 episodes? Is there much precedent for a show switching to 13 episode seasons then switching back?

This is the show that had its showrunner fired, hired two new showrunners, fired them, and then hired the previous showrunner. Anything could happen.

Joni

I'm kinda surprised they haven't gotten Richard Ayoade to appear on the show as some counter to Abed, especially because I found out Ayaode directed the Pulp Fiction episode. Have him turn up as the 'British Abed' (maybe with Chris O'Dowd in tow s a take that on that failed IT Crowd remake) claiming his American version is so inferior.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm kinda surprised they haven't gotten Richard Ayoade to appear on the show as some counter to Abed, especially because I found out Ayaode directed the Pulp Fiction episode. Have him turn up as the 'British Abed' (maybe with Chris O'Dowd in tow s a take that on that failed IT Crowd remake) claiming his American version is so inferior.

I'm glad they haven't. Tried to watch IT Crowd over the summer and hated it. Seems like they'd be a better fit on a crappy show like The Big Bang Theory.

gabbo

Right, because Jeff need that on his mind too.

fisheyes

So just finished season three. How was the harmonless season four?

It was ok. Some people - including Harmon himself - will tell you its the worst thing ever, but honestly, its not too bad. Its got a couple of really really good episodes - Herstory of Dance and Basic Human Anatomy - a few ok ones, and a few shockers, but its still worth watching, especially considering its only 13 episodes so you could pretty much do one a day to take you up to the new season premiere.

Honestly the worst part about Season 4 was just how cheap everything looked because of the low budget. The fake outdoor shots looked hideous.

Mistle

Season 4 is so in-your-face, especially when they try and do a heartfelt moment

I feel like some of the episodes would have been better had they been more subtle in their message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom