• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S5 |OT| From the Executive Producer of Community Seasons 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

I am so conflicted right now; I really didn't like what season three ended up doing with/to the characters, which was nice heading into S4 because my standards were lowered and I wasn't that disappointed by the weaker spots (and actually really enjoyed the stronger episodes, particularly the body swap which was probably my favorite Abed character piece in years.)

So Harmon's return is weird because now I have to go back to judging the show against its best seasons, while I got to give season 4 a 'desperately trying to find a new identity' pass, and I have no idea which era Harmon we're ultimately going to get.

beat

I feel like most of the character development past Mixology Certification has been not very enjoyable.
Aw. I don't think that's fair; I really liked the humanity, character development, and vulnerability in Critical Film Studies, Remedial Chaos Theory, Studies In Modern Movement, Documentary Filmmaking Redux, Foosball and Nocturnal Vigilantism, Pillows and Blankets, Virtual Systems Analysis*, Introduction to Finality, Basic Human Anatomy ...

* which I genuinely love

Given the rather steady shedding in the ratings and the fact that the show got less critical buzz in S3 and S4, I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way.
I don't remember critical buzz being down in S3 (nor should it have been given the run of amazing episodes in the second half, nor were ratings down significantly in S3. The show has pretty much always been on the bubble.

I will grant that it got less critical buzz in S4, partly because of the ugly showrunner switch issue and partly because it really wasn't quite as good without Harmon.

Lijik

Yup. Those four are the primary ones, but I'd also recommend the Germans episode too. Thought that one was hilarious.

I think that one is docked a few points for me because of the weird "Its that other character's brother" thing. Felt tossed in like they originally wanted Nick Kroll and couldnt get him
Still the Hogan's Villains gag was one of the strongest S4 moments, and the original conceit of Malcom McDowell just being a regular college professor who doesnt understand the group's sitcom antics was a good one
too bad they drop it the next time he shows up and he decides to willingly go along with a hostage scheme just because hes bored and alone for the holidays.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
S3 = S4
Come at me.
I almost agree actually.

And anyone thinking season 5 isn't going to feel anything like 3 are probably going to be disappointed. They like the wacky stuff now. I fully expect season 5 to be very wacky. Just like the ice.

Alright, I stopped watching season 4 after the first episode, but I think I want to watch this again. Should I watch season 4 too or just skip it. It's no biggie but I want to know if it's worth a damn.

If you get the episodes cheap, why not watch it? It's only 13(?) episodes and you'll understand the context for season five episode 1; I assume it'll be highly referential.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
These are the parts of season 4 I like:

Halloween because it was more fun than season 3's scary story episode.

Inspector Spacetime Convention because it had some pretty cool stuff. They created a whole fictional TV show universe inside a TV show universe. There's a documentary on the DVD about it. Plus it probably closes the door on the whole Inspector Spacetime thing and they won't have to lean on it anymore in season 5.

German Invasion was great but needed Kroll. Not that I hated Brian-the-sound-guy-from-season-9-of-the-office's character. It just felt silly not having Kroll there. Also, Almost 100 luftballons was great. Oh, and Britta and Annie made pretty cute German waitresses.

Herstory of Dance was pretty damn amazing. But the thing with the Dean and his rituals didn't make much sense. "Now I don't have to give her my amulet." What? Whatever. Still don't get why they cut the real tag to put in an advertisement for the puppet episode. The original tag was much better. Oh, and Rachel was the best and I'm glad she'll be back. I just wish it was for the entire season. Oh, and I liked Kat up until we found out why Rachel was there. Kat was adorable, but a bit too wacky, but I liked her, and I'm pretty sure she had an uncredited appearance in The Office's "The Farm" episode as one of Dwight's relatives. But can't confirm it at all. "Super duper, Mr. Cooper!"

Christmas was fun for me, though I liked the songs in season 3, I liked the story of season 4 as it was grounded more in reality than the Bodysnatchers parody. (At least season 2's episode made sense as it was from Abed's POV, but the Glee thing didn't really make any logical sense. Not that the show ever makes logical sense anymore. EMPEROR CHANG!!!!)

Basic Human Anatomy was a great homage to all those movies where people switch places. I loved it to death. Best episode about a relationship breakup ever.

Heroic Origins was enjoyable, but seems a stretch that everyone actually would be so connected. But it was one of my favorites of the season.

And Finality was a pretty good Paintball episode, though the first two still win over that. I'm just glad it wasn't the series finale. Hell, I hope that season 5 doesn't have a series finale too. I want my 6 seasons and a movie and season 7 and 8 and 9 and 10 and...

Actually, if you ask me, the only low point of season 4 was the non-sitcom stuff from the first episode. I even liked the puppet episode on rewatches, but still place it low on my list.

Going into season 5, I don't know how much, if anything, Harmon is planning on retconning from season 4 or ignoring, but I hope it's not too much. I'd rather the series feel more continuous overall than have him rewrite stuff he didn't have anything to do with out of spite.

Also, I'm glad the evil Chang thing was closed up with ice cream and friendship and he can go back to just being Chang again. Seems season 5's Chang is going to be a combination of season 1 and season 2. A teacher who wants to be part of the group.

Virtual Systems Analysis*

* which I genuinely love

I love it too. I think the character assassination of Abed in Contemporary Impressionists lingered and ruined the episode for some people. Basic Lupine Urology is similar, it's a near perfect episode that does a great job with the feel of the community college experience and the supporting characters, but would have stood out more if it wasn't mixed in with other "crazy" episodes.

Season 3 has the highest highs and lowest lows of the series for me. A lot of it is best-of-the-series good, but I freely admit emperor Chang was a terrible idea and Contemporary Impressionists the overall worst episode. Unfortunately, no matter how I look at it season 4 was entirely forgettable. Mostly bad, some good, but it didn't feel like there was anything at stake because there were no standout great episodes to make it exciting each week, and it felt like they were going to stick with the season 3 idea of the show with no chance of change (none of the other seasons stayed the same).

As a side note, I've been rewatching the series and I'm not sure there is a better moment than Pierce casting shape change on Duquesne. I'm going to miss him.

I'm not normally one to get all Tumblr-y when it comes to romantic tension, but...

I ship Abed and Rachel from Herstory of Dance so hard.

beat

wait a minute, is Johnathan Banks a regular?

He's practically got the Heather Locklear deal (wasn't she a "special guest star" on Melrose Place even though she appeared in every episode?). I think Banks will appear in like 11 out of 13 episodes.

Alright, I stopped watching season 4 after the first episode, but I think I want to watch this again. Should I watch season 4 too or just skip it. It's no biggie but I want to know if it's worth a damn.

Ya watch it. It sucked watching it as it happened knowing that this wasn't the way many wanted the show to end...but now you can watch it knowing that S5 is gonna come back with some vintage awesome Community, so it won't be as bad.

I watched the initial S5 trailer but avoiding the second one and any that come after. Spoiler Blackout!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I found season 4 not that bad. Not on the same level as the previous ones and overly reliant on past jokes, sure, but still enjoyable most of the time.

Thread needs some hype gifs

nlAt7Ca.gif

Wait, this show is set in Colorado? I've watched the entire series thus far and it doesn't have the Colorado vibe. At all. Not even close.

CzarTim

Given the rather steady shedding in the ratings and the fact that the show got less critical buzz in S3 and S4, I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way..
Wasn't season three when it really blew up critically and ended up on magazine covers, won the critic choice award, and got nominated for a primetime Emmy?

For me, season one was good but a fairly typical sitcom. Nothing memorable though perfectly enjoyable. After Paintball, I was like "holy shit, where has this show been hiding?" And season two is near perfect in terms of quality. A handful of duds, but really amazing other than that. And I've come to enjoy it more upon numerous rematches. I've never understood the hate for season three. It's certainly not as good as its predecessor, but it also has some of my favorite episodes in it.

Season four... Yeah, I couldn't finish it. I went back and watched it when they announced Dan was coming back, and I swear I was averaging 1-2 laughs per episode. I found it really painful to watch.

blamite

It's supposed to be but I can't think of a time where the location was of any importance. I can't even recall if they ever mention Colorado ever.

I think this one line is the only time Colorado has been kind-of referenced:

Jeff said:
So I guess the cell phone number you put on the study group contact sheet was fake, which I just learned in the awkward conclusion of a month long text message affair with a dude from Boulder.

RevoDS

None quite so quickly and with quite such consistency. I liked the show best when it was grounded, sort of slacker fantasy. It's gotten less grounded. I'm obviously impressed by some of the experiments on a creative level but I think it makes the show, I dunno, less appealing. In general I feel like most of the character development past Mixology Certification has been not very enjoyable. I really liked the score and music they used in the early part of season 1, which I thought had a sort of bouncy ebullience... but that's receded. I never liked Pierce, I haven't liked Chang since he got promoted from recurring to starring, the Dean works best in smaller doses and yet his role has expanded. I think Troy has sucked since the bizarre he's-not-fit-for-real-university-but-he's-a-trade-savant twist. I agree that Britta didn't work as a sort of compelling central romantic lead but I think everything they've done with her since then has kinda been a mess. Shirley I could take or leave. Abed is alright but I felt most of season 3 and season 4 was indulgent and pretty detached from reality as far as he was concerned.

Given the rather steady shedding in the ratings and the fact that the show got less critical buzz in S3 and S4, I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I'm interested to see what Harmon brings to the table this season. I hope the hiatus gave him a renewed creative energy. At this point the show is pretty low investment for me, I'll watch it but it's not something I'm really, I dunno, fixated on or looking forward to.

I feel like a jerk for kinda being a cynic in a room full of people so excited to see what they hope is a new dawn for the show. I'll end on a positive note. There are some things I like in recent seasons. The Dean and Jeff doing karaoke is one of the best individual scenes of the series to me. It's something that gives me gut-busting, side-splitting laughter. The background images are so asinine, Jeff's off-key singing versus the Dean's enthusiasm, the terrible transitions, the awful camera zooms that echo the worst of community access TV, the montage cuts to Pierce's bizarre rat pack fantasy flashback, and especially the ending shot with Jeff doing the outreached arm and the wistful look into the distance. It's masterful.

I completely agree with all of this.

For me, season 1 is leaps and bounds above the rest of the series. I like Community best when it's telling the story of a study group going through college, those episodes where it's grounded in reality while

While the show has still been entertaining (hence why I'm still watching to this day), I haven't looked forward to an episode in a long time. As far as I'm concerned, the show lost its way starting with the S2 episode about the magic trampoline or something, around the time when it became the wacky show about paintball, trans-dean, the evil air conditioning school, broken Abed and pariah Pierce for no valid reason.

CzarTim

guys, i only like my comedies predictable and grounded in reality to reaffirm my boring life. if the writers try to do anything more with the medium, i get scared. why does this show not have a laugh track? sometimes i forget to laugh :(

Wait, this show is set in Colorado? I've watched the entire series thus far and it doesn't have the Colorado vibe. At all. Not even close.

IIRC they set it in Colorado to avoid being sued by the real Greendale in California.

Talon

So when can we get back to the annual circuitous conversation around Brita going from the straight woman to a nutjob?

NR1

In the darkest timeline trailer, are my eyes playing tricks on me or do I spot
Starburns
!?!?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Only S1 was good. Sorry GAF.

I really like season 2. I tried to start season 3 but it felt very different. All the characters felt like they were... off. To be fair I only got about 5 episodes in. I've been meaning to continue it.

I hope this season is great! I really really enjoyed season 1 and 2.

Galang

Banned
S4 wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting going by the comments I read before watching. Really excited for this season!

Season 1, 2 and 3 all had their epic moments. I thought Chang became too insane during season 3. Just a tiny bit.

To me Pierce was the crowning jewel. He was the most interesting character in a lot of ways, because he was the most unlikeable, and the most out-of-place character. When they did stuff with him it was really funny. I loved the episode with his father, or when he tried to be cool.
I was great as the villain during the legendary Dungeons and Dragons Episode or as the evil henchmen in the paintball second year episode.

I don't know how the show will be without him. I really thought he was incredible hilarious, and he changed my view on Chevy Chase forever. I had no idea he was such an asshole in real life. To me Chevy Chase was just some dude from some holiday movies. He was never really big and it was so strange that he was in this show. But he fitted in so well.

I also think he worked so well because all of the other characters in study group are still sort of grounded. He is the racist, inappropriate, condescending, evil, ignorant character, but he was forgiven because of his childhood and because he was so old. His agenda was also different from everyone else as he had enough money and just needed companionship, making his goals so much different from the others.

beat

To me Chevy Chase was just some dude from some holiday movies. He was never really big and it was so strange that he was in this show. But he fitted in so well.
There was a time (I'm told) when Chase was the biggest star in movie comedies around.

gabbo

I was dreading season 5 before Harmon came back on board, now I'm cautiously optimistic. Please be good.

But which Harmon do we get? Season 1-2 "kooky show about a community college group of misfit friends" Harmon or Season 3 "watch a guy meltdown through his own tv show" Harmon?

Still, hyped as fuck. This is also the least creepy Community OT I've seen since jumping on the CommunityGAF bandwagon.

So when can we get back to the annual circuitous conversation around Brita going from the straight woman to a nutjob?
Probably the opening scene, if Harmon undoes all of season4.

Real Hero

To me Pierce was the crowning jewel. He was the most interesting character in a lot of wayss.

Yeah he was a big part of what made season 2 so great. The show can can definitely continue without him and Troy but i doubt they will ever top dungeons and dragons or the missing pen episode. As long as the show has good writing I'll be watching.

CloudWolf

The only thing I remember about season 4 is that it was terrible. I'll probably still watch this, because I'm a sucker, but I'm not hyped at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom