• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S5 |OT| From the Executive Producer of Community Seasons 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

EW: Community featured in "19 TV Shows We'll Be Checking Out in 2015"

Community (Winter, Yahoo)
When NBC canceled it in May, Community was supposed to drop out of TV for good. Instead, the series took a cue from its characters and reenrolled at Yahoo. ''We've always been a Web series,'' says Gillian Jacobs, returning as perpetual wet blanket Britta. ''We're now just finally on the Web. It's a brave new world of...'' she pauses. ''TV?'' she considers. ''Content,'' she concludes.

A few changes worth noting: Yvette Nicole Brown asked to be released from her contract to care for her father, which means her Shirley will follow Chevy Chase's Pierce and Donald Glover's Troy away from the study table. To replace the absent members of the study group, the show is bringing in two new characters. Paget Brewster (Criminal Minds) will play Frankie Dart, a troubleshooter hired to help Dean Pelton (Jim Rash) in the never-ending quest to save Greendale from oblivion.

Meanwhile, baritone-voiced character actor Keith David will join the cast as an inventor. ''He's very smart, very proud, and made the mistake of focusing too much on his work in the past,'' says Harmon. ''Now he has no idea what he's going to do with the last chapter of his life.''

For Harmon, a sixth season is both a step forward and a chance to get back to the show's roots. ''We wanted to recapture a look and feel of season 1,'' he says. ''That means building a foundation of immersiveness, believing Greendale is a real place, as opposed to surrendering to the fact that it's kind of a magical place. There's no episode so far where everyone's a Roman gladiator.'' —Darren Franich

New picture at the link as well.

Hamlet

EW: Community featured in "19 TV Shows We'll Be Checking Out in 2015"

''We wanted to recapture a look and feel of season 1,'' he says. ''That means building a foundation of immersiveness, believing Greendale is a real place, as opposed to surrendering to the fact that it's kind of a magical place. There's no episode so far where everyone's a Roman gladiator.'' —Darren Franich

New picture at the link as well.

Nice to see they're going for that Season 1 vibe again.

beat

By the end of S1, they did the Goodfellas episode and the paintball episode. Both of which I love, but it's not like S1 was super grounded.

I was just thinking today about how incredibly lucky Community was. A year earlier and Yahoo might not be ramping up Yahoo Screen. A year later and Yahoo Screen might already be a failed experiment. Or if the hacker group had taken Sony Pictures out a few months earlier, they might have lost the window to transfer the show over to Yahoo, because I think they completed that deal the day before cast contracts were set to expire.

beat

I was gonna complain about Tuesdays being overstuffed, but Broad City might be over by then and Parks and Rec too since P&R is doubling up episodes in a shameless burnoff.

TheOddOne

- Variety: ‘Community’ to Premiere March 17 on Yahoo Screen
Original cast members Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Ken Jeong, Danny Pudi, Alison Brie and Jim Rash are all slated to return, to be joined by new cast members Paget Brewster (as a “problem-solver”) and Keith David (as a computer programmer).

Series creator Dan Harmon said the deal with Yahoo came down to “literally hours.”
The series began production in November, and Harmon says he’s enjoying the creative freedom of working on an online series vs. broadcast. “As agreeable as NBC was, the corset loosens a little bit,” he says. “There’s a tiny bit more Britishness to the comedy.”

As for whether there will be more sex and profanity, McHale joked, “You’ll see me topless.”

Harmon also expressed relief that he would no longer have to face overnight ratings. “That’s going to be the coolest thing,” he said. “They felt bad to me.”

The showrunner said he hasn’t decided whether this will be the show’s final season, though the cast’s contracts will end this year. “I’m definitely not writing it as if it’s the end,” he said. “I have to continue to write the show as if it’s going to last for 20 seasons.”

He dismissed rumors that Chevy Chase will return this season, though he expressed regret about Donald Glover’s departure. “I pray (he) will come down my chimney,” he said. He also left the door open to a possible surprise return by Yvette Nicole Brown, who left the show for personal reasons.

“If I could somehow trick these characters into staying forever, I would,” he said.

Philippo

Yes please, i need more of my sexy Annie

CXWtY9F.gif

and crazy Annie

tumblr_lxg3kxc22d1qelbb6.gif

But the show its just a shell of its former self without Troy :C

Oh man do I wish Netflix picked them up. No idea what yahoo is going to do to the format...
I gotta say though, having caught up with the series again (after having loved the 1st 3 seasons and switching off a couple into season 4) I'm still disappointed in the +Harmon season 5 - it still didn't feel like its old self unfortunately. Here's hoping, but not holding my breath.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like that they're not releasing all the episodes at once.
Yeah. It'll keep the anticipation high. Plus we won't have any stupid-ass NBC promos spoiling episodes and guest stars. That pisses me off. Well pissed me off. Now that there's only one show left on NBC before I have to stop watching it it'll be over soon.

kirby_fox

Banned
Been rewatching the seasons and it's so weird how they write off Pierce and Troy. When you watch it as a whole, season 4 gets a lot better too. Still bad, but better.

On Season 5 now though and it feels like a different show. Losing another character I just can't imagine these new actors are going to really do well replacing them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As long as regions exist, there will always be region locking issues. Let's hope the right contracts are in place to make sure as many people get to see the show as possible.

blamite

So has anybody actually said ho many episodes this season is? I'm assuming the trend of 13 will continue, but I'm still holding on to the slim possibility of more.

Guri

So has anybody actually said ho many episodes this season is? I'm assuming the trend of 13 will continue, but I'm still holding on to the slim possibility of more.

The previous link confirms: 13 again, but much more grounded, like Season 1.

blamite

The previous link confirms: 13 again, but much more grounded, like Season 1.
Ah, okay. None of the other sites I saw the news on had mentioned that number. It's a shame there won't be any more 20+ episode seasons, but I guess it'll help with the budget at least?

...woah, no more library exterior? Weird. It'll probably be greenscreened during the interior scenes now I guess?

Ah, okay. None of the other sites I saw the news on had mentioned that number. It's a shame there won't be any more 20+ episode seasons, but I guess it'll help with the budget at least?

...woah, no more library exterior? Weird. It'll probably be greenscreened during the interior scenes now I guess?

My guess is they just stop using it like they did with the quad area when their budget got cut so badly they couldn't film outside.

I'm pretty sure they mean the outside part, where Troy's last scene was.

blamite

My guess is they just stop using it like they did with the quad area when their budget got cut so badly they couldn't film outside.

Mainly thinking of how the outside area is fairly visible in a bunch of study room shots. I think that's what the article was referring to? Outside the door back behind Jeff and the window in the hallway behind... whoever's in Troy and Pierce's seats. Sounds like the set's underground now so that won't be real outside space.

Probably not a big deal at all, but still a change that kind of jumped out at me.

Mainly thinking of how the outside area is fairly visible in a bunch of study room shots. I think that's what the article was referring to? Outside the door back behind Jeff and the window in the hallway behind... whoever's in Troy and Pierce's seats. Sounds like the set's underground now so that won't be real outside space.

Probably not a big deal at all, but still a change that kind of jumped out at me.

Nah they mean the mock "entrance" to the Library. As Bunting said, the area where they said Goodbye to Troy/The area with the Hologram Pierce. In S1 they used the Los Angeles Community College campus for that, then eventually it was just a similar mock up outside of the soundstage on the Paramount back lot.

Ogni-XR21

So, this Yahoo Screen thing... is it geoblocked? Will I be able to watch in Canada?

I've been wondering the same thing. I sure hope there won't be any regional garbage with this since it's their service and their show.

I was wondering too. I could not find anything of Yahoo! Screen being available here in Germany. But I just did a quick search, need to look into it a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom