• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparison between FF Versus XIII staff and FF XV staff [Kotaku was right!!!]

Neff

If Kitase isn't on FFXV then that's pretty significant considering he's essentially Mr. Final Fantasy now.

NeoGAF tomatoes thrown at Kitase

Let's remember that the man wrote, directed and co-directed some of Square's most critically acclaimed and beloved hits (FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, Chrono Trigger) before we start childish retribution for doing something we didn't like.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Whoa the last thing i was expecting was to see an italian name among all those japanese people!
Do we know anything about Roberto Ferrari?

jimmypython

I'm guessing most of the staff was moved to another game then since it wouldn't make much sense to simply remove anyone now. Square is probably worried that they'll fall into the same trap they did last gen of only releasing one mainline single-player Final Fantasy title. Nomura was obviously moved to solely work on KH3 but the others could be working on another Final Fantasy title. Whether it's XVI or something else though is something we'll probably find out soon.

It seems to me that KH3 (or KH in gerenal) is more of Tai Yasue's direction now. Nomura only serves supervision roles, to keep the general story/plot progression etc.

So the real question is, how long does it take for Nomura to announce quitting.

Kain

1- No Kitase? That's interesting.

2- They quit? Or maybe they moved to XVI with Ito and all the forgotten ones????

Nope, Toriyama is directing XVI, we know it.

so this means kingdom hearts 3 is never going to be released and 8 years from now be labeled as kingdom hearts versus 3!

son of a bitch!
Honestly, after the Versus XIII debacle, anyone holding their breath for a realistic KH3 date have only themselves to blame.
I'm not saying it won't release, just that the default assumption should be that it won't for a long time.

Why are they letting someone who's never written a script, write the script for Square Enix's most important flagship project ever?

It seems to me that KH3 (or KH in gerenal) is more of Tai Yasue's direction now. Nomura only serves supervision roles, to keep the general story/plot progression etc.

So the real question is, how long does it take for Nomura to announce quitting.

People say that, yet Nomura is the main person behind a lot of the major gameplay changes in KH (such as Flowmotion in 3D), so I doubt this is just "Yasue's game".

Also, Nomura is not working exclusively on KH3 =P, they just announced a mobile game where he's doing character designs for (Rampage Land Rankers), and he is also working in the new Dissidia.

Valnen

Seems like a good thing, the progress looks rapid since the new team took over.

Yeah, the speed at which they're getting things done is a very good thing. Hopefully if SE can keep their shit together, we might see another mainline title before this generation is over.

duckroll

I wonder who is the current event director, if it's not Jun Akiyama.

Among the new staff for XV, is Masanori Sato the same Masanori Sato as this?

Tried googling Masashi Takizawa, Takeshi Terada, Kunihiko Kimura, no relevant result. Hate it when this happens.

Masanori Sato was supposedly working on Versus as a battle planner at some point. Masashi Takizawa was an artist on Kingdom Hearts 2, who was also working on Versus. They both got promoted to leads when the project was rebooted.

Terada is my bad. His name should read Takefumi Terada and he worked on Crisis Core and Type-0. Tabata says Kimura was working on Versus too, so another guy who got promoted to lead from that clusterfuck project.

People have to realize that the game that was Versus was never going to come out either way. Look at the original promise list: The gameplay we see with Noctis, 3rd Person shooting with Prompto, different gameplay with Ignis/Gladiolus, on the fly switching between party members, "A new kind of cutscene", free roaming in the city, free roaming with multiple vehicle types (tanks, mechs, cars, airships, chocobos, etc), the list goes on. Normura was promising, like, 5 games in one. It was never going to happen. What we seen with XV is merely Tabata's team being realistic and making their own changes. Losing Stella sucks though, I will admit.

duckroll

Why are they letting someone who's never written a script, write the script for Square Enix's most important flagship project ever?

It's not so simple. It seems that Nojima has written a script for the game, but it's just that things have changed so much they are adapting it into the current project. So it is no longer accurate to credit him for the screenplay. At the same time, Itamuro is not writing a brand new screenplay herself, she is instead leading the scenario team which is in charge of adapting the original story into the actual game.

OmegaDL50

So the name change meant nothing?

It's say it's just confirmed more or less that FFXV wasn't actually in development for 9 years but is more closer to that 3 to 4 years that is more less implicated with an overall staff overhaul and scrap of the original planned project of Versus XIII.

Skittles

Both of the main programmers left? Must of gotten tired of dealing with that shitily put together engine (poor documentation)

No_Style

Why does this matter? Wait for the damn game to come out.

I understand why people are concerned because those names were attached to some of their favorite games. But seeing how FFvXIII went nowhere, I'm open to whatever FFXV ends up being.

I liked FFXIII though, so what the hell do I know?

Talax

So I will officially never play the game I bought a launch PS3 for.

Huh

LOL pretty much what I was thinking.I mean I bought it on FFXIII release date but mainly my focus was for versus.

I'm actually sad about Nojima though. No offense to the replacement of course but I'm no longer expecting anything from a scenario where you're taking portions of the original script and having someone who wasn't on the original team (as far as I can tell) add their part to join them up. I feel like where gonna end up with another XII where most other stuff is good while the story goes way off course half way through.

And I'm still fanboy raging that Nomura isn't making this so don't mind me. ;_;

Caronte

I don't get it. I don't know the whole story so let's assume all those delays were their fault (which I doubt). How does changing the system menu director make a difference?

I can't believe how mismanaged SE is.

KingJ2002

Versus died when they announced FFXV... and i'm glad... once they unveiled the title with it's characters and it's world... it had promise to stand on it's own legs and not be apart of the confusion that XIII turned out to be.

I'm glad S-E saw that as well.

OmegaDL50

So I will officially never play the game I bought a launch PS3 for.

Huh

LOL pretty much what I was thinking.I mean I bought it on FFXIII release date but mainly my focus was for versus.

I'm actually sad about Nojima though. No offense to the replacement of course but I'm no longer expecting anything from a scenario where you're taking portions of the original script and having someone who wasn't on the original team (as far as I can tell) add their part to join them up. I feel like where gonna end up with another XII where most other stuff is good while the story goes way off course half way through.

And I'm still fanboy raging that Nomura isn't making this so don't mind me. ;_;

Sure some elements have been retained such as the basic plot and characters but all in all, the games scope likely has gotten larger since the platform shift to PS4 rather then developing on the PS3.

For example the Duscae Demo with the very impressive draw distances and very large environments and it's current level of detail was something that probably could not be achieved on the PS3 without some significant concessions being made.

There is some benefit working with more powerful hardware then expecting a PS3 game released on the PS4.

The overall scope implies we are more or less getting a PS4 game designed with the PS4 in mind, rather then just frankensteined PS3 assets just transitioned over to a newer generation.

So I'm confused and would love if somebody could clear this up for me.

From what I thought I understood, FFXIII Versus began development many years ago.

Partway through development, the project was renamed FFXV. The decision was made to make it a mainline title. This was not a secret and everybody knew this. There hasn't officially been a Versus XIII for years.

So what makes this news, specifically? I don't follow Final Fantasy and most of these names are meaningless to me except for Nomura.

Basically, I'm looking for as much information as possible on what happened here.

This bodes well for Kingdom Hearts 3.
Whoever was in charge of making that summon, has their heart and mind in the right place. That's how it's suppose to be done!

duckroll

I don't get it. I don't know the whole story so let's assume all those delays were their fault (which I doubt). How does changing the system menu director make a difference?

I can't believe how mismanaged SE is.

From 2006 to 2012, there was a team working under Nomura developing FF Versus XIII. Obviously they weren't getting very far because the game was never ready to show. Lots of excuses have been made about the other FFXIII games taking resources away, etc. Whatever the case is, by the end of 2011, Final Fantasy Type-0 shipped in Japan, and there was a full team freed up.

In 2012, Kotaku reported this: http://kotaku.com/5927645/rumor-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-dead

One source tells Kotaku that Final Fantasy Versus XIII was officially cancelled within the last few weeks. The decision impacted morale at Square Enix and staff were reportedly saddened by the move.

Square Enix, this source added, has also decided to let Final Fantasy Versus XIII die quietly on the vine and fade away, instead of officially announcing its cancellation. This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.
Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII's development and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.

After Wada (the CEO at the time) denied the contents of the story, it slowly faded away because lots of people still wanted to believe it was happening, and Nomura was still providing title bite-sized updates every year or so.

At E3 2013, they announced that Versus XIII has become FFXV, and would be for PS4/XB1 instead of a PS3 title. At the time they only announced Tabata as the co-director.

At TGS 2014, they finally came clean that Tabata would be directing the project and that Nomura was off the project. Subsequent interviews with Tabata revealed that in July 2012, they indeed terminated development on Versus XIII and rebooted the entire project as FFXV with Tabata and his Type-0 team taking over from the previous team.

Chilikar

I knew this was coming but its still sad to see it practically confirmed by the director. I know this is a bad thing to wish for, but I seriously hope one of those prototypes that Nomura mentioned of ffvxiii gets leaked out a few years after ffxv releases. Just so we could see the full extent of nomuras vision for his own final fantasy

duckroll

So I'm confused and would love if somebody could clear this up for me.

From what I thought I understood, FFXIII Versus began development many years ago.

Partway through development, the project was renamed FFXV. The decision was made to make it a mainline title. This was not a secret and everybody knew this. There hasn't officially been a Versus XIII for years.

So what makes this news, specifically? I don't follow Final Fantasy and most of these names are meaningless to me except for Nomura.

Basically, I'm looking for as much information as possible on what happened here.

This is not NEWS news, it's an expansion of stuff we already know. This is the first time Tabata has shared the full lead staff with the public, and it's interesting for those who like following developers and development processes. Before this, there was still a lot of guesswork as to which core developers from Versus might still be part of the XV team. Now we know most of them are no longer involved in those roles for certain.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I wasn't that bothered until I played type 0 hd. Now today's news is just meh. 10 year dev time should make a goat game. Sucks development hell messed it all up

Whoa the last thing i was expecting was to see an italian name among all those japanese people!
Do we know anything about Roberto Ferrari?

He did the character designs for Tekken: Death by Degrees, and (I think) a few minor (mobile?) Square Enix games.

F8nJedV.jpg

wnzsP5b.jpg

ri8XaGT.jpg

JEmUHCj.jpg

Caronte

At TGS 2014, they finally came clean that Tabata would be directing the project and that Nomura was off the project. Subsequent interviews with Tabata revealed that in July 2012, they indeed terminated development on Versus XIII and rebooted the entire project as FFXV with Tabata and his Type-0 team taking over from the previous team.

So they basically moved the game from one team to another, they didn't just replace a few people. Hmmm. If the KH3 team is the one that made the handheld games that means the original must be working on something that isn't FFXV or KH3. I wonder what it is.

duckroll

So they basically moved the game from one team to another, they didn't just replace a few people. Hmmm. If the KH3 team is the one that made the handheld games that means the original must be working on something that isn't FFXV or KH3. I wonder what it is.

I think most of the original team for KH and KH2 are gone. They're no longer one team. Many of the leads have left S-E, and many of the other leads have moved on to have their own projects. There's the Dissidia arcade game, there's the new mobile game Rampage Land Rankers developed by Hexadrive, there are some still working on XV, some will be working on KH3. It's just not one big team anymore.

There is no original team here, AFAIK.

Majority of those are on FFXV or probably just left the studio.

Pooya

Roberto Ferrari did designs for The Last Remnant, I'm not sure which of the characters though, that game was fine looking.

jschreier

Poor Brian got sooooooooo much shit for this over the years. It's vindicating to see that his reporting was spot on.

Muffdraul

Scenario: Kazushige Nojima

Story Concept: Kazushige Nojima

What little hype I had for FFXV just took a big kick to the nuts. Nojima did all of my favorite FF stories. For a long time I thought he was the primary writer on FFXIII, and I was shocked by how weak the story was when I played it. It was only after finishing it that I discovered he had been knocked down to "concept" and someone else wrote the screenplay. This does not bode well at all.

Top Bottom