• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparison between FF Versus XIII staff and FF XV staff [Kotaku was right!!!]

Ixion

What little hype I had for FFXV just took a big kick to the nuts. Nojima did all of my favorite FF stories. For a long time I thought he was the primary writer on FFXIII, and I was shocked by how weak the story was when I played it. It was only after finishing it that I discovered he had been knocked down to "concept" and someone else wrote the screenplay. This does not bode well at all.

Exactly my thoughts.

Nojima hasn't been perfect, but he did write two of the most beloved Final Fantasy stories (VII and X). I'm not sure who else at Square-Enix is capable of writing a good story. Matsuno is gone as well.

Does FFXIV have good writing?

What little hype I had for FFXV just took a big kick to the nuts. Nojima did all of my favorite FF stories. For a long time I thought he was the primary writer on FFXIII, and I was shocked by how weak the story was when I played it. It was only after finishing it that I discovered he had been knocked down to "concept" and someone else wrote the screenplay. This does not bode well at all.
If this happens, then it would be quite an achievement because it is not easy to meet the trash writing of Watanabe.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
My question is, why do people celebrate like Nomura and the people who previously worked on the game were the ones responsible for the state it was in, and not SE's constant mismanagement? The game wasn't even in development for a majority of the time we didn't hear about it as the staff kept being diverted to other projects from the higher ups.

Kain

My question is, why do people celebrate like Nomura and the people who previously worked on the game were the ones responsible for the state it was in, and not SE's constant mismanagement? The game wasn't even in development for a majority of the time we didn't hear about it as the staff kept being diverted to other projects from the higher ups.

I don't think there are a lot of people who think like that. S-E's management clusterfuck is well known, and it's common knowledge that FFXIV 1.0 almost destroys the company.

It's been said that Nomura was kicked out of Versus, but I wonder if he left on his own accord. He is known for tackling on all the projects he sees, but who knows.

Geg

His role's different this time around. For XIII he only came up with the concepts like falcie/lcie/cocoon & pulse, etc. while Toriyama and Watanabe wrote the rest. For Versus XIII/XV he wrote a full story draft

RocBase

Kotaku being vindicated is the icing on top of this awful cake. Hahahaha

I was just telling myself the same thing! Kotaku better be sipping on some fine wine as they watch the entire gaming community eat the stalest of crows, my sides

Nerokis

At this point...it's whatever, honestly. It's been a ridiculously long, conflicted development cycle. A lot of these people left the project probably because they needed to justify getting a paycheck, to find an avenue for productivity, or simply because no one works on a single thing for that long. The "dream team" is an illusion now, anyway. All the people who made those amazing games spent an entire generation so far removed from those heights. There's no guarantee that working within SE's current corporate environment, within the industry as it is today, and with modern technology, that they would strike gold again.

Versus XIII has never been more than an idea, whereas FFXV is something that's actually happening. I'm interested in seeing what SE's newer faces are capable of. "God, these trailers were so emotional" and "man, this game person x made in 1998 was wonderful" aren't the greatest justifications for holding onto the past.

Muffdraul

His role's different this time around. For XIII he only came up with the concepts like falcie/lcie/cocoon & pulse, etc. while Toriyama and Watanabe wrote the rest. For Versus XIII/XV he wrote a full story draft

...a lot of which is apparently now in the dumpster, or they'd give him more credit than "concept." But hey, I admire your optimism. =P

Geg

...a lot of which is apparently now in the dumpster, or they'd give him more credit than "concept." But hey, I admire your optimism. =P

I'm just saying he was a lot more involved in the writing of Versus's story than he was with XIII. There's no real way to know how much of that will be changed now aside from the stuff we know now about Stella

Muffdraul

I'm just saying he was a lot more involved in the writing of Versus's story than he was with XIII. There's no real way to know how much of that will be changed now aside from the stuff we know now about Stella

There's no way to know the details, but the downgrade to "concept" credit says everything. If a lot of his old script was still in place he'd have a proper story co-writer credit.

And I never got the memo as to exactly what the history was of his FFXIII contributions. I was under the impression he was the story writer in the beginning, but that Watanabe took over at some point. I wanna see the receipts.

mrlion

Does FFXIV have good writing?

In 1.0 it did, the version that apparently no one played (I did). The story was very well written and was written by Yaeko Sato.

Then 2.0 happened and it improved everything...except the story which kinda fell on the writing department. They changed writers it was written by Kazutoyo Maehiro. But I think it improved towards the end after patch 2.55 and the transition into Heavensward mostly because Heavensward is original and didn't had to be based on what 1.0 had.

So now that people realize that large publishers are totally willing to lie about the cancellation of AAA projects in order to massage their stock prices, can we get a little realism injected into the status of a few other games on the alleged horizon?

pixelation

So now that people realize that large publishers are totally willing to lie about the cancellation of AAA projects in order to massage their stock prices, can we get a little realism injected into the status of a few other games on the alleged horizon?

TLG is alive i tell you!!! :O

Highwind

Narrowly dodged yet another wall of shame. :D

Man. Can't believe whole thing. xD

Shame about the changes but I expected this from Square.

The amount of crow being served on gaf these days doesn't bode well for the species. D:

The best aspect of xiii was the foundation for its scenario. Versus was always intriguing not because it was "dark," but because nojima would also be in control of how it played out. Now we'll never know.

What a disaster last generation was for square.

jett

D-Member
Roberto Ferrari did designs for The Last Remnant, I'm not sure which of the characters though, that game was fine looking.

For me the characters in that game were unappealing to the point where I couldn't play the game. Waste of a couple of bucks on Steam that was.

Is easy to point fingers now, but at time was easier to believe in Kagari (which was not even quoted by the mod) than Ashcraft, Kotaku credibility was pretty shitty at time.

And let’s not forget how Wada responded
"There's someone making a false rumor that Versus was cancelled. Haha...Just a minute ago, the regular Versus meeting ended. If you saw the presentation of the city, it'd knock you off your feet~lol"

Is easy to point fingers now, but at time was easier to believe in Kagari (which was not even quoted by the mod) than Ashcraft, Kotaku credibility was pretty shitty at time.

And let’s not forget how Wada responded

It's never hard to point and laugh at kneejerk reactions devoid of critical thinking. It was a choice of who to believe but 2012 is still six years after the original announcement and the ominous signs in support of the rumor were outlined by Nirolak in that thread. Not sure why you think it's only in hindsight in 2015 that people were giving no benefit of the doubt to Square Enix in 2012, a company that had just released Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Ophiuchus

I just finished listening to it and I can't believe that I just watched 75 minutes of japanese speech.Anyway, beside the very critical changes I think he was sincere when he said they did it for the good of the game.Still waiting .....

A veritable ship of Theseus here...

My exact comment in the other thread! Except, the ship of Theseus suggests that identity is a social construct as opposed to a primary property. So, by those lights, the game IS still the same, even though nearly every plank has been replaced :p

On the other other hand, perhaps this would be more like if the ship's planks were replaced one by one in such a way that, eventually, the ship was not a ship but a giant wooden car.

duckroll

My exact comment in the other thread! Except, the ship of Theseus suggests that identity is a social construct as opposed to a primary property. So, by those lights, the game IS still the same, even though nearly every plank has been replaced :p

On the other other hand, perhaps this would be more like if the ship's planks were replaced one by one in such a way that, eventually, the ship was not a ship but a giant wooden car.

More like, 80% of the planks have been replaced, those planks remaining have all been reinforced by new material, and now the ship might actually not sink when it sets sail.

Lol.

Astral Dog

And considering that the new team seems to be able to get things done, I welcome them more than ever. I really hold no emotional attachment to vaporware.

PS: Tabata mentioned that Roberto Ferrari worked on Versus XIII as well, and many of his designs are being carried over.

I guess this is the positive way of looking at things.

Change for the better, IMO. I find that Nomura and Nojima have been closely associated with what's been going wrong with Final Fantasy since the PS1 days, writing and design. Unpopular opinion I suppose, but I hold them in about the same regard as I hold Toriyama. The less they're involved with a main series entry, the better.

Top Bottom