• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compile Heart announces Omega Quintet for PS4 - Sept 18 2014 [Up: Trailer & Website]

I'll probably buy this just because it's likely to be the first PS4 JRPG (assuming it makes it to the US), and I don't absolutely hate some previous Compile Heart stuff.

The Neptunia 2 and 3 games are pretty solid and fun.

Rikkun

idol x RPG?

They didn't even bother to put RPG in first place.

Today I'm a little sadder. Stay strong, my PS4, better times will come.

wrowa

The screenshot looks a lot worse than most PS3 games. I wonder if there's any reason to make this a PS4 exclusive other than to appeal to PS4 early adaptors.

kick51

Banned
special thanks to everyone who helped create the idol genre

you could go outside and meet actual women, but instead, your collective loneliness somehow willed this genre from the ether

7HBJkuf.jpg
Ec9ZV0X.jpg

JetgDLT.jpg
3CB1t8f.jpg
w4AsBfA.jpg
Everything went as expected.

Looks like a screen of a Neptunia special attack.

you could go outside and meet actual women, but instead, your collective loneliness somehow willed this genre from the ether

When you refer Idol genre you are saying that as a video game genre or a thematic genre with roots in both western and japanese music and manufacture enterteiment?

Uthred

The Monkees were really the start of it all, you should build a time machine so you can go back and stop it from ever happening.

Yup...

Say what you want about these niche devs, but in a time where the big players are salivating and mobile-hungry, these devs remain a consistent presence in console development.

It's not like they're particularly bad, as well. Their games are often rough, unpolished, and shows a lot of age sometimes, but they're mostly good enough that you'd never mistake the game for a 3DS or mobile game. It's really just the content that's a bit too niche for most's likings.

And for what it's worth, I feel like the developers like Gust and Compile Heart have a way better foundation of taking the next-step in improving the quality of their games into something greater.

At the very least, when I see new games from them, I don't shudder being concerned that they'll make shitty mobile games, whereas I see big-name Japanese publishers flaunting around beloved IPs and go lol mobile.

Considering the 3DS' JRPG library, I wish the Sony loyal niche devs made games that could be mistaken for 3DS games. The fact that they're making shitty PS4 games instead of shitty mobile games doesn't increase my desire to play them one bit.

cj_iwakura

I've been happy with Gust, particularly since I greatly prefer consoles to handheld. They've managed to make and release a good HD console game every year, which is a lot more than I can say for other JRPG publishers. Compare them to Atlus's sad console output this gen.

Quality > quantity.

Although I'm just fine with Gust.

According to the report, the genre of Omega Quintet is “idol x RPG”. The artwork is being done by Fukahire and music production by Lantis and (idea) WILL.

Omega Quintet takes place in a world that is being eroded by a phenomenon called “beep,” which has been degenerating the life of mankind by affecting their minds. The protagonist is a young lady who is some sort of “Verse Maiden” and happens to have the powers to stop the “beep”.

While details on the other characters in the game are scarce, Famitsu names of some characters and their voice actors in Otoha (Riho Iida,) Kyouka (Rui Tanabe,) Kanadeko (Inori Minase,) and Aria (Eii Yamazaki)

Omega Quintet is slated for release on September 18, 2014 for PlayStation 4. The limited edition version of the game will include a special booklet, while pre-orders will come with an original soundtrack CD.

Bloop?

I'm expecting a realistic depiction of idol culture. The first boss should be the abusive producer of the company you're trying to get work from. While battling you'll have to manage your "purity" meter as to not upset your fanbase and risk having your image tarnished for acting and being seen as a human being. This will be the Spec Ops: The Line of idol games.

Hahaha. That One Boss: The Casting Couch!

Squalor

Wow, that title got me so excited.

Then I read the article . . .

This game is going to be pure garbage.
Someone should put 'Compile Heart' in the title.

Biggest disappointment of the week.
At the least note that it is an Idea Factory subsidiary.

Nothing but abysmal video games come from there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Some of the comments in here... you may not like it but at least Compile Heart is moving on from PS3 quite quickly - as they should and as other Japanese developers should as well.

cj_iwakura

Some of the comments in here... you may not like it but at least Compile Heart is moving on from PS3 quite quickly - as they should and as other Japanese developers should as well.

I'm fine with continued PS3 development. I can't wait to see what Atlus do with P5. There's still potential there, and I'm in no hurry to shell out $400 on a new system.

Idol x RPG could be cool for the type of really in-depth Idolm@aster game I've wanted but then I read the story and realize it will be nothing like that at all in any way shape or form.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm fine with continued PS3 development. I can't wait to see what Atlus do with P5. There's still potential there, and I'm in no hurry to shell out $400 on a new system.

PS3 has stagnated hard. It's time to move on and make the switch to PS4 development to salvage what little life it left in the console market in Japan - and by extension, being able to capitalize on overseas sales, which definitely favor the PS4 now and into the future. Japanese developers were slow to grasp the PS3 generation and they're better off not repeating the same mistakes this time.

Squalor

PS3 has stagnated hard. It's time to move on and make the switch to PS4 development to salvage what little life it left in the console market in Japan - and by extension, being able to capitalize on overseas sales, which definitely favor the PS4 now and into the future. Japanese developers were slow to grasp the PS3 generation and they're better off not repeating the same mistakes this time.
I am eagerly awaiting whatever Atlus will release on the PlayStation 4, and I hope it's sooner than later.

Companies like Idea Factory have been making the same games over and over again. A this-generation system isn't going to change anything. The graphics will mostly look last gen. The writing obviously won't improve. And there will be no gameplay enhancements that warrant the added power of this generation's systems.

jcm

Quality > quantity.

Although I'm just fine with Gust.

With Gust we've gotten both, in my opinion.

That might work OK in Japan, but if you want Western sales you really need to at least do cross-gen development. The PS3 and 360 are fading fast.

cj_iwakura

That might work OK in Japan, but if you want Western sales you really need to at least do cross-gen development. The PS3 and 360 are fading fast.

I guess, but it's not like the PS3 is doing poorly or lacks an install base. The PS2 survived for years.

I'm not a fan of abandoning a system with both market share and potential to keep delivering good titles. Does a JRPG really need PS4 level graphics and processing power?
(And even if it did, would you really expect that from Idea Factory?)

No.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable port of P5 to PS4 as Persona 5 The Emancipation though with JP audio track as an option. Hopefully Atlus will wake the fuck up and realize the whole JRPG industry has moved to including dual audio on Western releases, even Square Enix included dual audio in LR and Drakengard 3.

FluxWaveZ

Does a JRPG really need PS4 level graphics and processing power?

Those are not the only motivating factors for PS4 development. If they were, indie games would certainly not be as prevalent on the platform as they are now.

I've never played a Compile Heart game and they haven't looked too appealing from what I've seen, but at least this is a developer willing to accept and move on to current platforms instead of hesitating and potentially being left behind on previous platforms.

jcm

I guess, but it's not like the PS3 is doing poorly or lacks an install base. The PS2 survived for years.

I'm not a fan of abandoning a system with both market share and potential to keep delivering good titles. Does a JRPG really need PS4 level graphics and processing power?

Sure, I can live without upgraded graphics, but I think the generational transition is happening very quickly in the west, and companies that don't adjust are going to be left behind. The PS3 and 360 today don't look to have the staying power of the PS2 circa 2007. I think Atlus ought to be looking at a cross-gen port if they want to maximize P5 sales and profits.

Now, in fairness, I haven't done any software numbers comparison to verify this, so I may be wrong. Also, it may be that for niche game like these, the audience is loyal enough to go find them no matter where they launch. But this is my gut feeling, anyway.

Natural Doctrine should be proof enough that releasing on PS4 isn't about the upgraded hardware, it's about releasing content on the current generation. I mean Natural Doctrine has the graphics of a PS2 game.

I've already seen this announcement elsewhere by sheer chance, so I was robbed of the opportunity to have my initial excitement cruelly torn from me by this thread. =P

Good for the Compile Heart fans I guess, and I'm sure this will find localisation in some way or another, like the other CH games. Would be nice if the games I genuinely want in English do come out in English though. I tend to look at the constant localisation efficiency of CH games and imagine some kind of cosmic joke going on.

Oh well, it's a start. Kind of depressing that CH is one of the very few Japanese studios leading the charge, but it's a start nonetheless, I suppose.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Compile Heart. Dammit.

PS3 won't survive the same way PS2 did.

CamHostage

The hate for Compile Heart is always hilarious. Do you think if these games didn't exist, the RPGs you want would be taking their place?

It's always a rollercoaster of hope with Compile Heart where some things seem cool (eg. Neptunia: "This is an RPG about classic gaming consoles!") until you find out about the squicky stuff.

Remember when the Galapagos RPG series was first announced, with a dark trailer and the thing about it being the Neptunia team and Nobuo Uematsu's Earthbound Papas and artist Yoshitaka Amano ... but then next they announced the title "Fairy Fencer F" and all these old-school RPG fans realized they had fallen into a trap?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCIKnPInypo

http://www.theicecave.org/damage_control/2013/05/final-fairy-fencer-f-fantasy.html

If people like their Compile Heart games, that's fine. Those not so into their stuff should probably protect themselves from it and finally let go that they will never make a game for them.

Still, it's hard to not wish that the heart of "Compile" in Compile Heart still beating had a little less the Madou Monogatari blood flowing and a little more say Rune Master or or Golvellius or Guardian Legend to it. (Then again, even way back when, Compile was all about the girls, we just didn't know it because they were replacing the packart with weird tangents...)

leadbelly

Banned

Those mini skirts seem very open and potentially revealing. I feel like much thought and effort has gone into choosing the right fabric and pattern design of the underwear for each character. Just for those occasional moments when the camera swoops a little too low.

Attention to detail.

fek

interesting, main heroine voiced by bunch of young and rookie seiyuu. (17,17, 19, 23) most of them only have one or two main lead experience but all of them did have singing experience.

Lantis probably actually making them an idol group in real life too.
Yeah, it's very likely. Lantis is involved with Love Live too and most of the girls were pretty much rookies back when they released their first singles. WUG is like that too, I love that.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have seen the scans, this is one of those jrpgs with awful huge numbers, there's an image where someone made a 8 digit damage against a big horned red-blue cyber-dragon or similar.

It's about CH. Some rejoice, some heckle. When a company strikes that bargain what CH does, it is inevitable.

PS3's sales WW are softening very quickly, even back home. P5 and ToZ will be bringing up the rear possibly.

Shingro

Hmmm... I'll give it a run. Compile heart games can certainly be rough, but each game tends to be better then the one before it.

Soriku

I still don't think PS3 will last that long. I think developers will just move to Vita or push out PS3 looking PS4 games(which is what compile heart is doing now).

Well we've already seen a bunch of devs making Vita + PS3 games, so there's that option. I don't think PS3 support is going to last much past 2015 though.

Top Bottom