• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Complete List of Announced Wii Games

Amir0x said:
ah. So then it wasn't me who was looking at the wrong lineup, it was you who had your hand in the Nintendo cookiejar. Seems objectivity is on my side this day.

What objective criteria is there? In the end it all boils down to tastes for the most part.

Side Note: I'm looking at potential quality, and there's way more on team X and Y.

So am I, and my stance remains unchanged. :p

Amir0x

Banned
Yann said:
This console lacks both most important genres, FPS and RPGs.

i think it lacks a proof of concept. That one shining game that says "ok, every thing Iwata said about Wiimote is justified... this is a title that is not only expanding horizons, but fundamentally changing the way we play games."

Wii Orchestra may be close, but I'm not sure on the details.

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah, PS3 has tons of big support and PSP had none (except Devil May Cry, which functionally doesn't even exist anymore and arguably Metal Gear Ac!d, but we all see how that turned out), compared to DS which already had big SquareEnix support (in handheld terms) even early on and as well as relatively big franchises in handheld terms.
Er... I wouldn't exactly characterize Slime Morimori, FFCC and Hanjuku as "big Square Enix support". Truthfully, Square Enix's announced Wii support is just as "big", potentially "bigger" given Armor Project's focused involvement with DQ Swords.

And PSP had tons of big name games announced at this stage (Need for Speed, Tiger Woods, NBA/NFL Street, FIFA, Gundam, Tales of, Ridge Racer, Spider-Man, Tony Hawk, Dynasty Warriors, Konami Soccer, Super Robot Taisen, etc). Revitionist history ftl.

Amir0x said:
And, as I said, the timeline difference between Wii and DS is also significant. Wii, really, has been an on going effort for Nintendo for quite sometime... it's what they hinge all future business on. If this is what they muster up to start with, after what I hope is some decent collaborations, then it's pretty weak overall.
I dunno, timelines seem pretty similar actually... developers got final DS kits earlier I think though. Even so, I'd say Wii's E3 2006 showing (27 playables) was quite a leap beyond what DS mustered at E3 2004 (14 playables).

I agree generally that Wii 3rd party support is pretty lacking (outside Ubisoft and Square Enix anyway) but it's not much worse than where DS was at this stage really. DS was far from a sure thing at E3 2004, the general perception was still that PSP was gonna steamroll it...

Amir0x said:
By the time DS and PSP were launching, it was clear where the major support was going if you ask me... and there's no chance of something similar happening for PS3, unless every Japanese dev simultaneously jumps ship due to the price.
DS/PSP weren't launching around E3 2004, which is the comparable timeframe to where Wii currently is. Truthfully, even around launch it was looking like PSP was getting the majority of Japanese support even... it's only recently (like last 6-8 months) we've seen developers shift resources accordingly with sales, and it only took DS being the best selling Japanese platform in history to manage that. :/

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
Er... I wouldn't exactly characterize Slime Morimori, FFCC and Hanjuku as "big Square Enix support". Truthfully, Square Enix's announced Wii support is just as "big", potentially "bigger" given Armor Project's focused involvement with DQ Swords.

And PSP had tons of big name games announced at this stage (Need for Speed, Tiger Woods, NBA/NFL Street, FIFA, Gundam, Tales of, Ridge Racer, Spider-Man, Tony Hawk, Dynasty Warriors, Konami Soccer, Super Robot Taisen, etc). Revitionist history ftl.

The thing is, consoles aren't handhelds. Dragon Quest spin-off may be 'good' for a handheld, but it's nothing for a console. If it's not Final Fantasy [numbered] and Dragon Quest [numbered] or Kingdom Hearts, then you're not getting the big support from SquareEnix.

Anyway, I would hardly call a port of an ancient Tales title a big game, and Spider-Man was at DS launch as well. Dynasty Warriors wasn't big at all imo, and Tony Hawk, FIFA, NBA and NFL were all just cheap, gimped console ports.

Anyway, the impasse is not so great here. Even if I agree that, at the very least, PSP was on par with DS or slightly better at the time... PS3 (and 360) is mountains and galaxies apart from where Wii currently is from big franchise support, and most exclusives come by virtue of control scheme alone... not any significant dedication to the platform imo.

robo_robo

Amir0x said:
i think it lacks a proof of concept. That one shining game that says "ok, every thing Iwata said about Wiimote is justified... this is a title that is not only expanding horizons, but fundamentally changing the way we play games."

I don't think the wiimote needs to prove itself for the console to be a success per se. I also don't think it will become the new standard. It's not a gimmick but it's not a "revolution". I think the fact that SSBB will be playable with standard control just proves that. The same can be said for the DS.

bud

Amir0x said:
a list of just upcoming games, or every game released so far PLUS upcoming games?

Anyway, I ain't doing it. I'm not doing another official thread type thing for a long, long time...

Upcoming games would be nice if anyone wants to.

jacomar

Neo Member
Amir0x said:

Im sure Nintendo is working on a couple of things. ¿How long did it take for them to show Nintendogs? That game for sure was a good proof of concept for the DS.

Amir0x

Banned
Yann said:
I don't think the wiimote needs to prove itself for the console to be a success per se. I also don't think it will become the new standard. It's not a gimmick but it's not a "revolution". I think the fact that SSBB will be playable with standard control just proves that. The same can be said for the DS.

Well I think it IS true for DS, but I think Wii actually has to be a revolution to reach this mainstream success. Remember, consoles are a much different landscape for Nintendo now... they really have something to prove, and I think they just need that one game where almost nobody can deny it has changed the rules of gaming.

jacomar said:
Im sure Nintendo is working on a couple of things. ¿How long did it take for them to show Nintendogs? That game for sure was a good proof of concept for the DS.

Shit no, if "Nintendogs" is an example of a proof of concept then fuck Nintendo. That's a virtual pet with touch! petting and voice capability.

I think it'll be something that isn't shitty, and maybe it'd be the "new Miyamoto IP" if it still is in the works.

jacomar said:

Miyamoto already confirmed that these games are coming, but it seems it'll take longer than expected:
...Miyamoto freely acknowledges that the first set of Wii games are essentially new ways of controlling the same old games, but stresses that that won't be the case forever. "Two years from now, we'll have a strong lineup that can only be played using this interface," he says...

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
The thing is, consoles aren't handhelds. Dragon Quest spin-off may be 'good' for a handheld, but it's nothing for a console. If it's not Final Fantasy [numbered] and Dragon Quest [numbered] or Kingdom Hearts, then you're not getting the big support from SquareEnix.
Now you're just cherrypicking... the truth is, unless it's a numbered DQ/FF on any platform, it's not *really* big Square Enix support. Announced sequels/spinoffs to games that sold 100-400k for DS isn't much different from announced sequels/spinoffs to games that sold 100-400k on Wii. DS didn't hit it "big" until that FF3 remake was announced in late 2004, and even then PSP got a nice little coup with a FF7 spinoff.

Amir0x said:
Anyway, I would hardly call a port of an ancient Tales title a big game, and Spider-Man was at DS launch as well. Dynasty Warriors wasn't big at all imo, and Tony Hawk, FIFA, NBA and NFL were all just cheap, gimped console ports.
At E3 2004, it wasn't confirmed to be Eternia yet, it was just "Tales of series". Shin Sangoku Musou is one of PS2's biggest franchises and "PS2 level ports" was basically the selling point for PSP destroying DS. Again, revisionist history ftl.

Amir0x said:
Anyway, the impasse is not so great here. Even if I agree that, at the very least, PSP was on par with DS or slightly better at the time... PS3 (and 360) is mountains and galaxies apart from where Wii currently is from big franchise support, and most exclusives come by virtue of control scheme alone... not any significant dedication to the platform imo.
That's the thing, PSP and DS weren't exactly "on par". DS at best was getting some notable sequels to GBA games, but PSP was getting essentially all the big name brands (faithfully convered at that, out of the handheld ghetto) that made PS2 steamroll everyone else... the expectation being that the same would happen for handhelds. It was essentially GBA vs PS2 in terms of prestiege and expectation, and we all know who the publishing community, gaming media and invesment market favor there.

I agree Wii's 3rd party situation is pretty lacking, but your recollections of DS vs PSP are just off.

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
Now you're just cherrypicking... the truth is, unless it's a numbered DQ/FF on any platform, it's not *really* big Square Enix support. Announced sequels/spinoffs to games that sold 100-400k for DS isn't much different from announced sequels/spinoffs to games that sold 100-400k on Wii. DS didn't hit it "big" until that FF3 remake was announced in late 2004, and even then PSP got a nice little coup with a FF7 spinoff.

No I'm not. Consoles aren't the same as handhelds, sorry man. It's ridiculous to even try to go there. It's absolutely fucking clear here: SquareEnix announced FFXIII exclusive to PS3, SquareEnix announced nice little FF and DQ spin-off for Wii. How quaint. It's no comparrison.

SquareEnix announced almost nothing for PSP (save FFVII: Crisis Core, and that came later), and started out by announcing three relatively big handheld games for DS (by handheld terms, which is decidedly different no matter how much you want to claim otherwise).

jarrod said:
At E3 2004, it wasn't confirmed to be Eternia yet, it was just "Tales of series". Shin Sangoku Musou is one of PS2's biggest franchises and "PS2 level ports" was basically the selling point for PSP destroying DS. Again, revisionist history ftl.

Sangoku Musou is one of PS2s biggest franchises? What? I mean I know it sells to its hardcore dedicated fanbase, but what the fuck? When did that become one of the BIGGEST franchises for PS2? Anyway, PS2 level ports were never the selling point for PSP destroying DS for me. It was the fact that PSP graphics raped DS raw. But just turning into a port system was not what I envisioned, and it certainly proved to be one that didn't do much to help PSP in the end. It's a stigma it can't shake.

There's no revisionist history here. DS was in a good shape in retrospect all along (and that's the key here: at the time doomsaying was obviously en vogue, but it wasn't particularly reasonable looking at the facts around E3 2004 imo).

jarrod said:
I agree Wii's 3rd party situation is pretty lacking, but your recollections of DS vs PSP are just off.

I'm sorry, but I basically think this is a way to start connecting dots and saying "SEE, WII IS LIKE DS AND LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT"

There's no recollections that are off.

Ponn01 said:
The lineup isn't too bad, at least they have a Mario. My main worry which was in the back of my head came to the forefront at E3. I was a little dissappointed in the titles I saw. For the last 6 months all i've been hearing from developers is how innovative the controller is and how many ideas can be done, etc etc. Come E3 I didn't see one game that broke out of any already established mold and thats what I was afraid would happen. I was really wanting to see some new game experiences, fresh games and the closest were all Nintendo titles but even those were built upon already established genres. I'm looking more for new ways of gaming, not a new way to play games I currently play. I want more games that I could only ever play on Revolution because of the controller. I just didn't see the game there that I wanted to WOW me but I still have hope because I saw more of what the controller can do so hopefully somebody somewhere is working on it. Maybe we will see something more at Spaceworld.

Look for the Miyamoto interview posted yesterday. He says to expect lots of new things in the near future.

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
No I'm not. Consoles aren't the same as handhelds, sorry man. It's ridiculous to even try to go there. It's absolutely fucking clear here: SquareEnix announced FFXIII exclusive to PS3, SquareEnix announced nice little FF and DQ spin-off for Wii. How quaint. It's no comparrison.

SquareEnix announced almost nothing for PSP (save FFVII: Crisis Core, and that came later), and started out by announcing three relatively big handheld games for DS (by handheld terms, which is decidedly different no matter how much you want to claim otherwise).
FFCC, Slime Morimori and especially a Hanjuku spinoff are nowhere near "big", even in handheld terms. Of course consoles aren't the same as handhelds... but even these titles weren't at all indicative of big name handheld games either. That's the point of contention, your deeply skewed evaluation of Sqaure Enix's (time specific) comparable commitments to these platforms.

I do find it funny you continually try to push B-C level Squeenix announcements as notable, while glossing over PSP's entire E3 2004 lineup without batting an eye. Methinks it's time to give up on this one before the blatant hypocrisy gets even further out of hand.

Amir0x said:
Sangoku Musou is one of PS2s biggest franchises? What? I mean I know it sells to its hardcore dedicated fanbase, but what the fuck? When did that become one of the BIGGEST franchises for PS2?
In 2000 when it moved over a million units. Something only 5 other 3rd party brands can do in Japan on PS2 (3 of which come from Square Enix). It's also the 3rd best selling 3rd party PSP game in Japan, clocking in over 300k.

Amir0x said:
Anyway, PS2 level ports were never the selling point for PSP destroying DS for me. It was the fact that PSP graphics raped DS raw.
You say toe-mate-oh, I say toe-mat-oh.

Amir0x said:
I'm sorry, but I basically think this is a way to start connecting dots and saying "SEE, WII IS LIKE DS AND LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT"
Well, clearly you're paranoid. Too much Mother will do that.

Amir0x said:
There's no recollections that are off.
Truthfully, I was being kind with my choice of words there. You've chosen a loosing horse and you're being bullheaded enough about as to make even me appear openminded by comparison... were you by chance a SEGA fan?

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
FFCC, Slime Morimori and especially a Hanjuku spinoff are nowhere near "big", even in handheld terms. Of course consoles aren't the same as handhelds... but even these titles weren't at all indicative of big name handheld games either. That's the point of contention, your deeply skewed evaluation of Sqaure Enix's (time specific) comparable commitments to these platforms.

I do find it funny you continually try to push B-C level Squeenix announcements as notable, while glossing over PSP's entire E3 2004 lineup without batting an eye. Methinks it's time to give up on this one before the blatant hypocrisy gets even further out of hand.

Oh, we're slowly slipping back into jarrod ridiculousness again. Oh, how I missed these back and forths with you.

So, what's bigger SquareEnix support for handhelds? I mean, I really don't think ports of FFIV, V and VI are bigger or the FF Adventure games are bigger! FFIII is a new breed of 'big', though, but again it's merely a remake of an old FF game.

At the time, SquareEnix was showing off some remarkably strong support for a handheld system... and compared to what they had on PSP (untitled game, turned into FFVII spin-off), they were positively barren. Present time: PS3 gets FFXIII, FF versus XIII. Wii Dragon Quest Swords, also a sequel to a crappy FF spin-off!

But of course in fantasy jarrod land, it is B-C support. Sure, for a CONSOLE it is. But this is a handheld, I don't know exactly what other type of SquareEnix support you expected.

Notably, I'm not glossing over PSPs 2004 lineup except I'm not giving it the kind of weight you apparently on. I guess back in alternate time a bunch of gimped console ports of EA sports games are exciting, but it seemed to me that at best they were even. Support like from SquareEnix is what I feel clearly gives DS the edge.

jarrod said:
In 2000 when it moved over a million units. Something only 5 other 3rd party brands can do in Japan on PS2 (3 of which come from Square Enix). It's also the 3rd best selling 3rd party PSP game in Japan, clocking in over 300k.

Well I was looking at it more from a worldwide perspective, but I admit I'm pretty shocked at how DW managed that. However, you mention the 2000 game which was boosted by launch... so did the franchise still push numbers like that or what?

jarrod said:
Truthfully, I was being kind with my choice of words there. You've chosen a loosing horse and you're being bullheaded enough about as to make even me appear openminded by comparison... were you by chance a SEGA fan?

jarrod, listen, you can't expect me to stand by as you abuse drugs. I care about you. If you must seek help, I can call local services and formulate an intervention for you.

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh, we're slowly slipping back into jarrod ridiculousness again. Oh, how I missed these back and forths with you.

So, what's bigger SquareEnix support for handhelds? I mean, I really don't think ports of FFIV, V and VI are bigger or the FF Adventure games are bigger! FFIII is a new breed of 'big', though, but again it's merely a remake of an old FF game.

At the time, SquareEnix was showing off some remarkably strong support for a handheld system... and compared to what they had on PSP (untitled game, turned into FFVII spin-off), they were positively barren. Present time: PS3 gets FFXIII, FF versus XIII. Wii Dragon Quest Swords, also a sequel to a crappy FF spin-off!

But of course in fantasy jarrod land, it is B-C support. Sure, for a CONSOLE it is. But this is a handheld, I don't know exactly what other type of SquareEnix support you expected.
Well, the full Final Fantasy remakes WSC enjoyed were rather big news. Dragon Quest Monsters was a huge seller too (over a million units at it's height, in Japan alone), which hadn't been announced yet for DS. And even earlier the original SaGa and Seiken Densetsu games on GB were hugely popular original brands, comparable in sales to what Final Fantasy was managing on Famicom... Egg Monster Heroes doesn't really inspire the same sort of relevance, wouldn't you agree?

I just don't see much difference between "crappy" DQ/FF spinoffs and "crappy" DQ/FF/Hanjuku spinoffs? Handheld versus console seems like a superficial distinction to make given the utter lack of deeper investigation on your part and the alarmingly disruptive direction Nintendo's headed... from a technology standpoint, Wii and PSP are probably the most comparable machines in this discussion. Care to explain the intrinsic significance between the differece console and handheld support beyond well, it just being different?

Amir0x said:
Notably, I'm not glossing over PSPs 2004 lineup except I'm not giving it the kind of weight you apparently on. I guess back in alternate time a bunch of gimped console ports of EA sports games are exciting, but it seemed to me that at best they were even. Support like from SquareEnix is what I feel clearly gives DS the edge.
At the time, perception wasn't "gimped console ports of EA games"... it was more along the lines of "PS2 games on a handheld!!?! Nintendo's dead!!!1!". And really, just Square Enix and SEGA were the lone publishers giving DS any real push ahead... PSP had huge backing from EA, Konami, Namco, Capcom, Rockstar and others by comparison, it was worlds away from "even".

Amir0x said:
Well I was looking at it more from a worldwide perspective, but I admit I'm pretty shocked at how DW managed that. However, you mention the 2000 game which was boosted by launch... so did the franchise still push numbers like that or what?
It did until just this year, with it's 4th sequel... even Onimusha and Winning Eleven dropped out of the million club first.

Amir0x said:
jarrod, listen, you can't expect me to stand by as you abuse drugs. I care about you. If you must seek help, I can call local services and formulate an intervention for you.
Revisionist history ftl.

ethelred

Amir0x said:

Well, the first Crystal Chronicles sold more than a million worldwide. With Wifi online play, the second will probably do more. The Dragon Quest Swords toy did at least half a million in Japan alone, without the benefit of having any kind of console backing -- a new version of that game with a hyped console's backing and the benefit of launch day sales... I'd bet it'll do considerably more.

So it's not the biggest support Square Enix could possibly offer, but both games are still pretty big nonetheless -- DQ/FF spinoffs are still bigger than almost any of the main entries in Square Enix's lesser franchises. What's more, it's certainly an indication of support that they announced both games for launch. If Square Enix gets two games out for a system for it's launch, it strains believability to think they aren't going to be developing more games later.

There's no argument that their PS3 support is stronger (anyone that was expecting third parties to give stronger support to Wii than PS3 six months before the system launches was high) but it is still very strong early support.

Emotions

However you look at it, it is positive for the Wii and i'm sure Square-Enix are testing grounds supporting it, if they sell big , the're no deniying that they will give more support to the console i think it's pretty big from Square-Enix having 2 launch games for a console, IMO. and if they sell good there's even more chances for more support and if Wii takes over Japan, wich is not out of the realm of possibilities, IMO.

I think Nintendo is gonna have a pretty big showing at TGS, they haven't shown the Wii to the Japanese public.

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
Well, the full Final Fantasy remakes WSC enjoyed were rather big news. Dragon Quest Monsters was a huge seller too (over a million units at it's height, in Japan alone), which hadn't been announced yet for DS. And even earlier the original SaGa and Seiken Densetsu games on GB were hugely popular original brands, comparable in sales to what Final Fantasy was managing on Famicom... Egg Monster Heroes doesn't really inspire the same sort of relevance, wouldn't you agree?

I just don't see much difference between "crappy" DQ/FF spinoffs and "crappy" DQ/FF/Hanjuku spinoffs? Handheld versus console seems like a superficial distinction to make given the utter lack of deeper investigation on your part and the alarmingly disruptive direction Nintendo's headed... from a technology standpoint, Wii and PSP are probably the most comparable machines in this discussion. Care to explain the intrinsic significance between the differece console and handheld support beyond well, it just being different?

The distinction is simply in the importance developers place on the platforms. A main FF game is never going to debut on a handheld because it's not important enough. Same for a main DQ game. But, as we see, right out of the gate SquareEnix announced one of its top three franchises exclusive for PS3... and they announced tame spin-offs for Wii. I'll not deny that that have some selling potential, and that in terms of SquareEnix support Wii certainly fares better than 360. But that's sort of like saying western devs like the 360 platform more than PS3.

jarrod said:
At the time, perception wasn't "gimped console ports of EA games"... it was more along the lines of "PS2 games on a handheld!!?! Nintendo's dead!!!1!". And really, just Square Enix and SEGA were the lone publishers giving DS any real push ahead... PSP had huge backing from EA, Konami, Namco, Capcom, Rockstar and others by comparison, it was worlds away from "even".

"Just SquareEnix and SEGA" :lol

More seriously, though, this is the same exact thing we're seeing here. You can tell the strength of support by the type of titles the companies are announcing, not the breadth or timeframe. In any event, EA is not really the king of handhelds jarrod. EA announcing games for PSP was seen as significant only because a large section of the population (including me, admittedly) simply didn't realize just how large the difference was between the handheld and console audiences. Now, PSP is a better fit for EAs philosophy don't you think? And still, EA support on PSP remains strong because of this. At the end of the day, though, nobody really is harkening the next weak Madden port for PSP. At first maybe they thought it'd be some killer app, but it's just not provable on that format yet. This is partially hindsight, of course, but it was certainly true. With perspective, it's easy to see DS never was really behind much in terms of support and took very little time to surpass PSP.

Even from the early lists you compiled, DS consistently remained ahead of PSP. In this thread, a mere two months into 2005, DS was at 206 games, PSP at 171. And DS had virtually announced every provably big franchise that has come to a handheld compared to PSP, who only really had the advantage with one or two devs.

Also, as a side note, what is "big" is always relative to the audience you're trying to sell to. GTA is the biggest shit ever from a console perspective, but on a handheld it did not reach near that type of phenomenon success.

ethelred

I've made a few updates based on some additional news stories as well as feedback in the thread.

I added a couple titles that I forgot the first time around (n-Space's two games, Batallion Wars Online), added Ubisoft's Lost game, and changed a couple developers/publishers (added Monster Games for ExciteTruck, changed AGFRAG to Bob Ross Interactive LLC - thanks Nintendogal!).

Thanks for the continued feedback, guys!

Polari

We'll see games utilising the Wii remote in increasingly novel ways, just like we've seen the DS utilised in increasingly novel ways.

Look to when the NES launched with a D-pad. Was it utilised in every possible way from day one? Of course not. I don't see why the Wii remote should be any different.

As for support, on the whole it isn't bad. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Mario, Call of Duty, Super Smash Bros., Rayman, WarioWare, Super Monkey Ball, Metroid, Metal Slug, Resident Evil and Zelda are more than enough to keep me happy in the first year, and that list is only going to grow. I think you're underestimating Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, Amirox. If something like FF:CC, with all its additional hardware requirements, can push 500-600K (it was about that, wasn't it?) in the US alone, I think a sequel selling beyond 1M on Wii is pretty plausible. Especially when consider that it's a launch title and will have online functionality.

Krowley

Polari said:
We'll see games utilising the Wii remote in increasingly novel ways, just like we've seen the DS utilised in increasingly novel ways.

Look to when the NES launched with a D-pad. Was it utilised in every possible way from day one? Of course not. I don't see why the Wii remote should be any different.

As for support, on the whole it isn't bad. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Mario, Call of Duty, Super Smash Bros., Rayman, WarioWare, Super Monkey Ball, Metroid, Metal Slug, Resident Evil and Zelda are more than enough to keep me happy in the first year, and that list is only going to grow. I think you're underestimating Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, Amirox. If something like FF:CC, with all its additional hardware requirements, can push 500-600K (it was about that, wasn't it?) in the US alone, I think a sequel selling beyond 1M on Wii is pretty plausible. Especially when consider that it's a launch title and will have online functionality.

from what i heard about FF:CC the single player mode was just barley shy of living up to the regular final fantasy games... With a few tweaks, FF:CC might end up being as good as real FF games. It certainly has the right art style IMO, reminds me of FF1, and that's a good thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Fact 1: Wii was not taken seriously before E3. But Wii delivered and got high praise from all fronts, raising analysts and studios interest.
Fact 2: PS3 price was not expected to be that high. Studios must reconsider their investments and include some Wii games in their projects to ensure their growth (at the very least in the japanese market).
Fact 3: Nintendo is a secret company capable of releasing a lot of informations at the last moment, including killer apps. Moreso when they have recently been copied by competition.
Fact 4: Wii is easy to develop for. A lot of projects recently started will be able to be released in 2007.

The bottom line is Wii is gonna have a lot of games. Good thing these games won't cost 60/70$ as I'll want to get many of them.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
soundwave05 said:
A Square-Enix-Nintendo RPG in the vein of Kingdom Hearts could be bigger than a numbered Final Fantasy game IMO.

...but then we'd have to put up with a bunch of crummy square-Enix characters shoehorned into a Nintendo title.

ziran

i'm assuming this has already been posted somewhere, gamespot is reporting some na releases from eb:

- Pilotwings Wii - December 2006
- Duck Hunt Wii - March 2007
- Nintendo's Ping Pong Wii - June 2007

really happy to see pilotwings and duck hunt :)

ziran said:
i'm assuming this has already been posted somewhere, gamespot is reporting some na releases from eb:

I think they're jumping the gun there.

Duck Hunt Wii wasn't even called Duck Hunt, it was just "shooting demo".

And Pilotwings wasn't actually Pilotwings, it was just a airplane demo which might end up on Wii Sports.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I still half expect a good number of those tech demos to appear in Wario Ware.

(Only half suspect, mind you.)

ethelred

Gallagher said:
IGN said, that Need for Speed: Carbon from EA will be coming to Wii!

Where? The only thing I could find is this article disputing exactly that:

In addition, we've noticed a few interesting listings for games we've yet to confirm as announced. Again, this may simply be a listing error due to post-E3 confusion, or they could in fact be the beginnings of even more franchises on the way to Wii in the coming months. Games such as Duck Hunt, and Medal of Honor Airborne are now being spotted on release lists, along with EA's newest addition to underground racing Need for Speed: Carbon.

Medal of Honor Airborne comes straight from Nintendo's official press release which is why I put it on the list. But NFS doesn't seem confirmed. Gamespot says there's no confirmation on their end, either:

Since this article's original publication, EBgames has updated its site with more listings, including Burnout 5 for the Xbox 360, Half-Life 2 for the Xbox 360, NHL 2007 for Xbox 360, Project Offset for the Xbox 360, NBA Street Vol. 4 for the Xbox 360, and Need for Speed Carbon for the Wii, Xbox 360, and PSP. Once again, retailer listings should not be taken as final confirmation of a game's existence, nor should the absence of a listing be considered as proof that a game isn't coming to a given platform.

So, it may be accurate based off the retailer listings, but as for now it gets filed away with Duck Hunt, Pilotwings, and Ping Pong, as the ground rules established for PS3/Wii say either developer confirmation or media confirmation.

ziran said:

But Gamespot's not reporting them as confirmed, they're just reporting that EB has added those games to their database. GameSpot's article specifically notes that this is not yet confirmation of the games.

ziran

ethelred said:
But Gamespot's not reporting them as confirmed, they're just reporting that EB has added those games to their database. GameSpot's article specifically notes that this is not yet confirmation of the games.
i understand the article states these aren't confirmed, but it seems odd to me for eb to add games to their retail list if they don't plan on being released at some stage. i doubt eb sat through the e3 reports and thought 'there looks like there might be a pilotwings, duck hunt and ping pong game coming to wii so we'll add them to the database on the off chance they're released'.

you might be right, but i expect these games are coming to wii.

ziran

www.gamefront.de is reporting nintendo has listed a third party line-up for wii in a financial report:
copy and paste the link into your browser:
--http://www.gfdata.de/archiv05-2006-gamefront/wiiliste.jpg--

i'm assuming these are launch window games or games to be released in this financial year (ending march 07). if so, on the plus side, a proper resident evil would be great, on the bad, it's a bit thin.

ethelred

ziran said:
www.gamefront.de is reporting nintendo has listed a third party line-up for wii in a financial report:
copy and paste the link into your browser:
--http://www.gfdata.de/archiv05-2006-gamefront/wiiliste.jpg--

i'm assuming these are launch window games or games to be released in this financial year (ending march 07). if so, on the plus side, a proper resident evil would be great, on the bad, it's a bit thin.

Sweet, nice list, thanks. I'm interpreting it the same as you -- launch window IIE, before end of fiscal year) games.

I think it's a pretty great list, actually -- the three biggest third party hitters (Resident Evil, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy) all getting released within the launch window? That's pretty major, especially since it confirms that the two RPGs will also be launch window in the US.

melvoin

Banned
<I>If Capcom started to falter Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft would all pounce on buying them.</I>

That doesn't sound like Nintendo at all, actually.

And it's been insinuated throughout this thread that DS 3rd party support has now picked up compared to PSP, but I don't see that at all. Recent announcements from Sega, Capcom, and Namco/Bandai all confirmed nearly twice as many PSP releases in the next year than DS releases. The only major 3rd party I can think of offhand that's giving the DS significantly more support is Square-Enix.

The general perception, I think, is that DS is still a poor platform for 3rd party success-- that its userbase, though large, is too eclectic to target with traditional gaming products, as opposed to the more concentrated "hardcore" gaming audience of the PSP.

melvoin said:
<I>If Capcom started to falter Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft would all pounce on buying them.</I>

That doesn't sound like Nintendo at all, actually.

And it's been insinuated throughout this thread that DS 3rd party support has now picked up compared to PSP, but I don't see that at all. Recent announcements from Sega, Capcom, and Namco/Bandai all confirmed nearly twice as many PSP releases in the next year than DS releases. The only major 3rd party I can think of offhand that's giving the DS significantly more support is Square-Enix.

The general perception, I think, is that DS is still a poor platform for 3rd party success-- that its userbase, though large, is too eclectic to target with traditional gaming products, as opposed to the more concentrated "hardcore" gaming audience of the PSP.

Ha ha, that's why NSMB had by far the best selling week for any DS or PSP game...yeah right.
DS has the third party support that counts: DQ Monsters/FFIII/FF:CC/MushiKing/Tales etc, you know, not downgraded PS2 or PS1 ports.

Top Bottom