• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conduit 2 for Wii.

CTLance

Not entirely sold on how single- and multiplayer intertwine, but whatever. First game was fun despite its flaws, will buy the second game as well.

It's unfortunate that they're trying to ape the perk and xp system from Call of Duty. Just do your own thing! Wii is getting Black Ops, so if I want CoD (and I do), I'm going to get that.

It also doesn't look like they've fixed the lock-on in multiplayer nor the ridiculous played-out bunny hopping. One of the perks you can buy even makes you jump higher.

The single player game looks much, much improved though. The jungle level looks nice. The boss fight looked good as well. And Wii Motion + can only improve their already excellent controls.

I'm on the fence so far.

Poyunch

Freezie KO said:
It's unfortunate that they're trying to ape the perk and xp system from Call of Duty. Just do your own thing! Wii is getting Black Ops, so if I want CoD (and I do), I'm going to get that.

It also doesn't look like they've fixed the lock-on in multiplayer nor the ridiculous played-out bunny hopping. One of the perks you can buy even makes you jump higher.

The single player game looks much, much improved though. The jungle level looks nice. The boss fight looked good as well. And Wii Motion + can only improve their already excellent controls.

I'm on the fence so far.
Well the game does jumping like Call of Duty where multiple jumps in progression decline in recovery and height. Oh and they're looking into a "hardcore" mode where lock-on won't be possible.

PounchEnvy said:
Well the game does jumping like Call of Duty where multiple jumps in progression decline in recovery and height. Oh and they're looking into a "hardcore" mode where lock-on won't be possible.

That sounds good. I just hated in the first game where you can line up a perfect headshot, but because people spam the jump button, you're just as likely to shoot them in the crotch. And for less damage too!

Nessus

I was pleasantly surprised by the Shield Gun demonstration. I think that's potentially a really interesting mechanic.

Didn't buy the first one, but I'm keeping an open mind with this one. If they manage to fix those problems then I'll pick it up.

plufim

I really hope the rolling updates to stop hacking works.

Because with perks in play, there's going to be a lot more incentive to cheat.

pakkit

Banned
The death animations are still out of synch/suck. The graphics look a lot more dated, now that some 3rd parties have finally figured out how to use the Wii's tech efficiently.

Other than that, I'm liking the sounds of the improvements. I really hope they've improved the level design as much as they say they have, because the first one was just a decent romp with little to no surprises.

Mael

Alcibiades said:
Any word on whether they'll have several preset control schemes (hopefully in addition to a Gamecube control option)? One reason that I didn't want to jump on the Conduit the first time is that I didn't want to be modifying the controls settings from scratch.

Why the fuck would you want gamecube control o_O?
Do you prefer playing blindfolded too?

And IIRC CoD : MW on Wii has the ability to have updates to counter the cheaters too (check the thread with the reveal and all)

what's with the gun with the shield?

NewFresh

The game is looking really good so far, Finished the first game but felt that the story could be improved. Also I am not sure about that headset

Edit:
Found Pic and it seems to connect directly to the Wii, so that must be a long cable
large.jpg

scitek

A notable addition this time out is a sprint button. I told the guy the run speed was too slow online in the first one and he agreed saying they were just getting rid of it altogether this time out because everyone always just turned it to the max in the first one anyway.

mr_chun

ILikeFeet said:
it looks fucking nice too, but what other games would support it? if Black Ops doesn't, it would be dead in the water. :\
Just like Wii Speak.

And the Nintendo DS Headset.

And the Nintendo DS Microphone.

Seriously, unless you're planning on playing the Conduit 2 like all day every day, don't waste your money on a Nintendo "voice chat product".

mr_chun said:
Just like Wii Speak.

And the Nintendo DS Headset.

And the Nintendo DS Microphone.

Seriously, unless you're planning on playing the Conduit 2 like all day every day, don't waste your money on a Nintendo "voice chat product".

yea, because it`s certainly impossible that other games will use it too, right?
my god... if someone wants to buy it, let him.
I use Wiispeak a lot and will get the headset as it should improve sound quality.

also, there are plenty of DS games which do use the mic.

Mael said:
Why the fuck would you want gamecube control o_O?
Do you prefer playing blindfolded too?

GoldenEye 007 will be the first Wii first person shooter I can play with my friends, because it's the only split-screen fps on the system that can use the GC controller. They're very nearly married to theirs, and I have no problem getting the added advantage of pointer precision over them. ^_^

So, yeah, I wouldn't mind at all for this game to have some sort of Classic Control option. Heck, they'd probably view it as the second coming of Perfect Dark, being a sci-fi shooter and all.

Mael

GameplayWhore said:
GoldenEye 007 will be the first Wii first person shooter I can play with my friends, because it's the only split-screen fps on the system that can use the GC controller. They're very nearly married to theirs, and I have no problem getting the added advantage of pointer precision over them. ^_^

So, yeah, I wouldn't mind at all for this game to have some sort of Classic Control option. Heck, they'd probably view it as the second coming of Perfect Dark, being a sci-fi shooter and all.

Ah you play with people who want to get raped? good for them I guess
Hey as long as it's fun more power to you

Nessus

One thing I really liked (from the videos I watched) about the first game was the reloading animations.

With this one, again I love the reloading animations, but I also really, really like the sense of weight lent to everything by the way the camera moves, the way the character holds the gun when they're running, etc.

Seems far more realistic and genuinely immersive than a lot of FPS games where the arm holding the gun feels far more locked to the center of the screen. In most games it feels as if if it's an arm on a stick or something.

Really hoping they nail it with this one, I like supporting good work, but with the reviews of the last game I couldn't justify purchasing it just to support these guys.

Sanic

pakkit said:
The death animations are still out of synch/suck. The graphics look a lot more dated, now that some 3rd parties have finally figured out how to use the Wii's tech efficiently.

Just curious, but what 3rd party games have come out in the past year that now make The Conduit look outdated, relatively speaking?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pandoracell said:
Just curious, but what 3rd party games have come out in the past year that now make The Conduit look outdated, relatively speaking?

Red Steel 2, Rabbids Go Home, and Monster Hunter 3 were definitely more polished artistically.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Pandoracell said:
I liked The Conduit more than most of here, but some parts of the games were hideous. The WHite House chapter had one of the worst looks of any Wii game.

TunaLover

I will add another thing to my request to HVS

-please don't add so much neon lights to the main characters, get rid of the neon googles too, it looks misplaced Tron like. Make alternative custom suits, for the main game.

-please try to make a less generic logo, it doesn't look interesting at all, it just scream Modern Warfare.

-please don't add Metroid Prime charge beam SFX.

Mael said:
Ah you play with people who want to get raped? good for them I guess
Hey as long as it's fun more power to you

One of the things that, I suspect, severely limited the growth of acceptance of the Wii among the gamer community is the relative lack of games that support both types of controller. If we had seen a decent number of online multiplayer shooters offering both options, then we would have had intermingling between gamers who play in the classic style and gamers who tried out and ended up preferring the new style, and I submit that the idea of using a pointer in an fps would have become an acceptable, if possibly eccentric, option that some players can openly enjoy instead of the current stigma of "it's just shaking a wand around, how can it possibly be as precise as analog control?"

But that aside, I already unconsentingly procreate with my friends when it comes to first person shooters. It's ... kind of like the last two console generations. They just accept that I'm going to have a much larger score/killrate, and they very aggressively battle each other for second place. And it's sort of a fun metagame for me to see if I can force my skill level down enough so that they have a chance of hitting the top spot now again. Same situation in racing games, though we're more evened out when it comes to fighters.

Poyunch

Lonely1 said:
I liked The Conduit more than most of here, but some parts of the games were hideous. The WHite House chapter had one of the worst looks of any Wii game.
I remember the door right before the final part of that level thinking "wtf is that?". It just looked like some shiny metal wall.

One thing I really hope they improve is the backgrounds. I know a lot of games do this but if you're going to use pre-rendered backgrounds at least make them look somewhat realistic. Most of the time they felt like wallpapers pasted up.

CaVaYeRo

Well, I actually had great fun playing this at E3.

we picked a (better?) off screen grab of that E3 trailer.

I took a photo of the headset showing:

Wii_Headbanger_Headset_Conduit_2.jpg

And then we picked some details, you might have heard about some of them:

- LAN multiplayer mode not confirmed yet, but not out of the question
- WM+ used exclusively to enhance control precision / keep tracking when you leave the edge of the screen. No specific WM+ moves.
- Ridiculously hard parts on first Conduit due to a now-solved bug. Better balanced difficulty this time.
- Switch crashed aircraft engine on to burn rivals nearby in multiplayer
- Optional paths during one mission, optional missions paths during campaign mode.

My colleague hands-on the multiplayer mode here: http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...or-de-conduit-2-marca-la-diferencia-5250.html

The WM+ detail really makes a difference, more for those new to Wiimote aiming (take that, coward 007 showing!)

Agent X

I was just about to ask if that headset could be used as a substitute for Wii Speak in other games, but then I saw this...

ILikeFeet said:
yep. just like all the others, dead in the water

headset doesn't work with Wii Speak titles

Well, that's a bit disappointing. I guess that's because this is a microphone plus an earpiece, while Wii Speak is strictly a microphone (input only, no output).

I understand this headset requires a driver, but one possible solution would be to have a small switch in the headset that would enable the user to select a "Wii Speak compatible" mode. You'd lose the ability to hear audio in the earpiece, but would gain compatibility for other games.

Nessus

Agent X said:
Well, that's a bit disappointing. I guess that's because this is a microphone plus an earpiece, while Wii Speak is strictly a microphone (input only, no output).

Really there seems like no valid reason for this to not be compatible with Wii Speak.

If it's a Wii Speak game, then just don't use the goddamn earpiece functionality.

I was mildly interested until I heard this. Really hope Nintendo's improvements to their online infrastructure address crap like this with their next console and with the 3DS.

heringer

The Conduit was mediocre, but there is fun to be had, thanks to the controls.

I thought the story was interesting, actually. It's just poorly executed, but I liked the X-Files vibe they were going for. The plot twist near the end of the game is pretty cool.

This time I guess they're going with more of a Halo vibe. Less government conspiracy and more war against aliens, different worlds, this kind of stuff. Not as interesting to me, but oh well. At least they are improving on everything else, apparently.

Also, they deserve credits for raising the bar as far as Wii FPS controls go. If it wasn't for The Conduit I really doubt the more recent FPS titles would offer a wide array of control options.

MNC

I really don't know what's making this game feel so graphically outdated to the rest, despite the improvement in art direction. I think it's the combination of (sub)30fps in combination of the jaggies... :(

CaVaYeRo

heringer said:

I thought the story was interesting, actually. It's just poorly executed, but I liked the X-Files vibe they were going for. The plot twist near the end of the game is pretty cool.

This time I guess they're going with more of a Halo vibe. Less government conspiracy and more war against aliens, different worlds, this kind of stuff. Not as interesting to me, but oh well. At least they are improving on everything else, apparently.

Also, they deserve credits for raising the bar as far as Wii FPS controls go. If it wasn't for The Conduit I really doubt the more recent FPS titles would offer a wide array of control options.

Completely agree. I remember developers stating they were going "the Conduit" way this time with the controls, which means a lot of what they've done... and being so small and cheesy, what others haven't (typical on the Wii).

Controls aside, online options were the most serious at its time and graphics effects, ugly or not, were implemented massively. And now they're including online co-op, split screen and intelligent WM+ usage.

I'll always show my respect to them.

Mael

heringer said:

IMO the game was interesting then the corridor level design hit me like a ton of brick, heck a vehicle segment would have broken the monotony somehow :-/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Maybe boxart.

o0tco7.jpg

Top Bottom