• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: COD:IW & MWR - no crossplay support between Win10 Store and rest of PC

Interfectum

More chance of finding someone in No Man's Sky.

giphy.gif

Maximo

Whose fault is this? Activision, Infinity Ward, or Microsoft?

Microsoft, anyone that buys games from the Windows Store are idiots, this shit shouldn't be supported. You would think Windows Live was evidence enough that they don't care about PC gamers, seems some forgot.

I didn't think I needed it, but Some names and identifying details have been changed to protect the privacy of individuals.

Looking back at the OP, I realize now that I totally missed the Journey reference that would've indicated that you were not actually talking about someone on a train. My bad.

EDIT: oh my god I didn't even think of the OTHER reference until the post two above me, holy shit

Still, the point kind of stands: until verified by an official source, there's always a chance that a piece of info could be wrong. I didn't think this was going to be 100% wrong or anything, I just didn't think it was worth discussing until there was confirmation. That's all!

I mean, the W10 version being a thing was already known due to it showing in the W10 store. And it not being crossplay was pretty much a certainty if you thought more than 3 seconds about it.

Eh, I dunno. Thinking more than 3 seconds about whether the Windows 10 version would work with other PC versions, I still jump to "if the Windows 10 audience has to play separately from everyone else, the servers will be dead in 12 minutes." Like, we're talking Black Ops II Wii U levels or worse. So whatever technical or certification hurdles might have existed, you would've expected someone to say, hey, if we actually care about this version of the game, we should maybe do something about this.

I just didn't think the answer would be, "yeah, no one actually cares about this." Because if no one wanted to bother with the Windows 10 port, why does it even exist? No one expected or asked for it, except maybe Microsoft?

nstine

Actually I don't think it does, too. But I am still looking for a more plausible explanation for this clusterfuck.

If I had to guess at the reason, it's probably because if it did support cross-play with Steam they'd likely have to keep it up to date with the Steam version. That would likely mean holding back patches for the Steam version or breaking the Win 10 version's MP after each patch until it passes certification.

That or this port is simply the easiest/least amount of work put in as possible. Probably a combination of both.

theRizzle

People who don't know better and don't bother looking into things. They probably don't play many games and don't have steam installed.

I don't agree with this at all. If you have a PC that a) you are interested in playing the new CoD game on and b) is capable of playing the new CoD game, you are downloading the game on Steam.

Nobody who meets the requirements of a) and b) doesn't know about Steam and will accidentally buy something on the Windows store. Even if it is your very first Gaming PC because if it is, in the overwhelming majority of cases someone advised you in building that PC and I guarantee that person has mentioned Steam to you already.

Clown

Neo Member
Origin
Steam
Windows Store
Battle.net
UPlay

Break the ecosystem of PC players is a SHIT and the DEATH of the gaming.

(My apologies if i am offending)

Gamezone

Gold Member
Jesus. For a while, I thought Microsoft MIGHT have a shot at building a Steam competitor - between Play Anywhere and Steam's dependence on Windows, there was room for growth. But if this is the standard, it's absolutely doomed. Combined with the various restrictions and developer apathy... they're really blowing it.

"Play Anywhere" isn't going to make this store a worthy competitor with all the issues it got.

Montresor

Microsoft, anyone that buys games from the Windows Store are idiots, this shit shouldn't be supported. You would think Windows Live was evidence enough that they don't care about PC gamers, seems some forgot.

In what way is it Microsoft's fault? I'm genuinely curious. Did Microsoft forbid cross platform play?

If they didn't forbid cross platform play then shouldn't Activision and Infinity Ward share some of the blame? The dev and publisher for making a bad game and Microsoft for not enforcing quality control?

Wow. That's surprising. I would have never thought that they would split the base on PC. That's just insane.

There's zero point in buying the windows store version at all. It's going to be a ghost town in comparison to Steam.

Talk about a big blunder on MS.

No, this not a Microsoft restriction. Really not.

Montresor

Because they're allowing it on their store?

So they're allowing a bad game on their store and they're not actively forbidding cross platform play.

Do you not think some of the vitriol should also be placed towards Acti and IW?

This isn't a good look on Microsoft but they aren't the developer or even the publisher here.

aeolist

Banned
So, serious question : who would ever buy this? Like, even if this sells only 5 copies, I am curious who those 5 persons are, because.... Why?

there are people who hate steam and/or love microsoft enough to buy it

you'll see them in every UWP thread

Interfectum

They're paying for the game to be on their store, they should be paying for the devs to implement a cross play solution too.

Especially for a high profile game like this. It does Microsoft no good to have a digital store with a completely dead online game that's brand new.

If they can't make a turn-key solution for devs so the Windows 10 version plays nice with Steam then why are they even bothering with this in the first place?

Purest 78

MS obviously paid for it to be on the Win10 store. Also why would steam allow cross play? That just gives people another option on PC and not buy it on Steam.

MUnited83

For you.
In what way is it Microsoft's fault? I'm genuinely curious. Did Microsoft forbid cross platform play?

If they didn't forbid cross platform play then shouldn't Activision and Infinity Ward share some of the blame? The dev and publisher for making a bad game and Microsoft for not enforcing quality control?

It's 100% on MS. The only reason that the game is on W10 store to begin with is because they paid for a shitty version to be shitted out for it.

Ladies and Gentlemen.

chasing-tail-1.gif

Microsoft.
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

edit:

Why they would even allow such a anti-consumer policy by one of the biggest franchises in the world is incomprehensible, it's like they are begging and pleading for bad publicity.

Weetrick

They will learn quickly when they realize multi-player is nearly unplayable in their version.

Oh no doubt. I feel bad for anyone that buys it.

I don't agree with this at all. If you have a PC that a) you are interested in playing the new CoD game on and b) is capable of playing the new CoD game, you are downloading the game on Steam.

Nobody who meets the requirements of a) and b) doesn't know about Steam and will accidentally buy something on the Windows store. Even if it is your very first Gaming PC because if it is, in the overwhelming majority of cases someone advised you in building that PC and I guarantee that person has mentioned Steam to you already.

OK

Montresor

Especially for a high profile game like this. It does Microsoft no good to have a digital store with a completely dead online game that's brand new.

If they can't make a turn-key solution for devs so the Windows 10 version plays nice with Steam then why are they even bothering with this in the first place?

Did Microsoft give Psyonix a turn-key solution to facilitate cross platform play between Xbox and Steam?

I don't know if they did. Why can a small developer like Psyonix pull it off but not Acti / IW?

Interfectum

MS obviously paid for it to be on the Win10 store. Also why would steam allow cross play? That just gives people another option on PC and not buy it on Steam.

It ensures the Windows 10 version has a healthy multiplayer base. MS is trying to launch an online store pretending Steam isn't there and that's not really going to workout well for them.

Edit: Misread. Valve/Steam would allow it. Have we seen an instance where they haven't before?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It ensures the Windows 10 version has a healthy multiplayer base. MS is trying to launch an online store pretending Steam isn't there and that's not really going to workout well for them.
His question was why would Steam allow it, as Steam has the upper hand when it comes to game players for games that aren't Blizzard, RIOT etc.

patapuf

So they're allowing a bad game on their store and they're not actively forbidding cross platform play.

Do you not think some of the vitriol should also be placed towards Acti and IW?

This isn't a good look on Microsoft but they aren't the developer or even the publisher here.

As long as all games of the store have to be UWP and thus, make crossplay something you need to support just like you would have to support crossplay between console and PC you'll have these issues.

Because of this, there's also essentially two different PC versions for every game that's on the store and steam.

Sure, we could blame Acti, but it won't be the last time the windows store version will be shafted.

If your dad got the pc for you and you're 15 I could see you being ignorant and not knowing about this

Montresor

It's 100% on MS. The only reason that the game is on W10 store to begin with is because they paid for a shitty version to be shitted out for it.

I have to respectfully disagree. I can't rationalize any scenario where Microsoft gets 100% of the blame. They deserve some blame, for being tone deaf and incompetent, for not demanding higher quality from Activision and Infinity Ward.

In the end it's Activision and Infinity Ward deciding to not implement cross-play - they're the ones with their name on the game and they should be held to at least a little bit of accountability.

Top Bottom