• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Doc Holliday said:
Not that i agree with him, but you know this will be used in future campaings. I mean john kerry was turned into an American hating hippie and Look what was done to Mccain in 2000. It will be easy to make this into a huge campaign issue rightfully or not.
I can't see this being a campaign issue, unless someone is pushing for gun legislation. Hopefully it'll be used to put pressure on right wing talk shows by the public and politicians to calm the fuck down and stop being retarded.

Yoritomo

mAcOdIn said:
I honestly don't think it matters, else we'll just have lots of stabbings like Japan. How many politicians in Japan have been killed by a knife? Japan just had a big mass stabbing last month were like 13 people got stabbed, although I think they all lived.

Ban Ninjas

stupei

Watching CNN while waiting for the press conference. The woman from Huffington Post being kind of surprisingly calm and fair-handed. She says there is an important distinction between suggesting Palin is responsible and hoping that this might be a call for her to act more responsibly. Guy from the right responds by quoting aggressive statements from figures on the left. She says these should be brought to light and condemned equally. He doesn't seem to know what to say.

Anchor asks if they can all agree that more inflammatory statements should be dialed back all together from both sides, and the guy on the right says no way because Obama's policies aren't going to change, so the rhetoric shouldn't either.

Please CNN, find an intelligent moderate to represent the right so I'll feel a little less depressed by this shit. I'm genuinely curious about how McCain feels about the politicizing of all this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
DrForester said:
This thread has long since been derailed.

Palin is only a side story because of some hoping to link her with the shooter and assign blame. Factually, she has nothing to do with this story.

As much as I dislike her and the hateful things that keep on coming from her mouth, I wouldn't blame her for this. But many do, because she did have a high risk PR strategy of targeting individuals and even imagery to go with it, and getting linked to this, rightly or wrongly, is simply that risk materializing. When everything is smooth sailing a polarizing PR strategy can pay off huge - high risk, high reward.

Snaku

Banned
stupei said:
Ancor asks if they can all agree that more inflammatory statements should be dialed back all together from both sides, and the guy on the right says no way because Obama's policies aren't going to change, so the rhetoric shouldn't either.

Pretty much what I expect to hear from the usual suspects on Monday.

BobsRevenge

Vilix said:
Really? You can't see how one is just as bad as the other. So, I guess one side was just calling Bush "Hilter Lite" then? Seriously, it all bullshit, no matter the degree.
Do you actually believe this? Its not comparable. I don't have any quotes ready or anything, but the right wing movement is obviously more violent. Talk of revolution and shit, as if its cool. It appeals to some weird american dream of taking arms and being a patriot. Its moronic really, and hugely counterproductive.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Press conference Info - (will update)

*All victims but Giffords are out of the ICU and no longer in critical condition.

*Giffords can follow simple commands at this point indicating good brain function (squeezing hands, holding up fingers). Not out of the woods, but doctor is cautiously optimistic.

*Gifford is on a ventilator and due to work by the Doctors is unable to open her eyes at this point.

*Was shot in left side of head in almost a perfect angle to avoid much worse damage.

*Biggest threat is brain swelling.

*Despite early reports Doctor believe she was shot in the BACK of the head, not in the front as reports indicated.

empty vessel said:
There is no equivalence between political ideology and race, and it is very weird that you would see some analogy there. Politics is an act of voluntary alignment based on consciously held, mutual political goals. There must be ideological and attitudinal similarities between Tea Party member A and Tea Party member B because that is exactly the basis on which they are part of the same political movement at a specific time in history. Being Arab A and Arab B does not require any ideological similarities and while Muslim A and Muslim B will share at least some core religious beliefs, the range of ideological beliefs and attitudes that any given religion houses are so wide as to make it incomparable to a discrete political movement.

There is nothing wrong with piling heaps and heaps of scorn on tea party members. Prejudice against tea party members ought to be encouraged. Politics is not a protected class like race or ethnicity, nor should it be. The supposition that it should strikes me as completely absurd.

I understand the difference between race and ideology.

As far as "Prejudice against tea party members ought to be encouraged" goes, I'd say that falsely accusing them of being part of a mass murder crosses a HUUUUUUGE fucking line.

Yoritomo

BobsRevenge said:
Do you actually believe this? Its not comparable. I don't have any quotes ready or anything, but the right wing movement is obviously more violent. Talk of revolution and shit, as if its cool. It appeals to some weird american dream of taking arms and being a patriot. Its moronic really, and hugely counterproductive.

Seriously?
:lol

che-guevara1232976553.jpg

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
BobsRevenge said:

So, then it IS okay for the left you use imflamitory words like the right. Gotcha. Hopefully, they'll remember to put "Not really" at the bottom of their protest signs.

empty vessel said:
The author is confusing a true statement about mental illness (most people who have mental illness never commit violent crimes) with a false statement about crime (most violent crimes cannot be explained in terms of mental illness).
So:

1. Most mentally ill people never commit a violent crime.
2. The percentage of mentally ill in prison for violent crime is 2-3x higher than the general population.

A maximum of 15% of prisoners being seriously mentally ill compared to 5% out of prison ( http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/SMI_AASR.shtml ) to me just means that the mentally ill aren't as good at getting away with it. But objectively, 85% of violent crimes cannot be explained in terms of mental illness. How could that possibly in any sense make mental illness a baseline factor?

BobsRevenge

Pristine_Condition said:
I understand the difference between race and ideology.

As far as "Prejudice against tea party members ought to be encouraged" goes, I'd say that falsely accusing them of being part of a mass murder crosses a HUUUUUUGE fucking line.
I think its important to see that the tea party movement sort of operates in a sea of misinformation and something bordering on mass groupthink. It started off with good intentions, but as it got bigger and people started to capitalize on it and leverage it. The people involved are generally good and decent people, its just unfortunate that its so easy to take advantage of ignorance and drive people towards a direction that isn't in their best interest in that kind of environment.

Its not the tea party that's the problem, its the people who greedily capitalize on it. Its the institutionalized greed of the American economic system, imo.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
teruterubozu said:
GAF has officially become yahoo/youtube comments. How disappointing.

Pfft. You set your sights too low. GAF surpasses 4chan comments, or nothing! :lol

mAcOdIn

BobsRevenge said:
While I agree that the right is invoking that "American dream" of revolution over the stupidest things, like tax brackets still lower than 50 years ago and health care, I do find it amusing that we may actually have to revolt sometime soon. Obama and the next President are going to make that evident if we need to start actually thinking seriously about it or not.

I mean, lets step back for a second from the core disagreements between liberals and conservatives, what we have now is a government that does not follow it's current laws, the previous administration gleefully broke them wantonly and the new administration that was elected to clean it up has just continued doing it. Obama is failing on all the big important things and delivering on little things from a rule of law perspective. Regarding Iraq and Guantanamo, what we've seen is that despite electing people that run on a platform of ending a war and stopping torture that they will still not comply once elected, and those are big things. If we can no longer stop our government from torturing people, something already illegal here, or end a war then what the fuck do our votes really matter? These are big real things, it's a little different than not getting the tax percentage just as one hoped or perhaps your favorite thing not getting as much funding as you'd hoped.

Not that I'm calling for revolution now, but the current war, Guantanamo, the Wikileaks situation and a host of other things are all starting to make it look like if the government does not change course it may be necessary unless we're to continue believing that everything that doesn't directly affect us yet is done in our name is not important and merely something we should tolerate.

BobsRevenge

Yoritomo said:
Seriously?
:lol

[IM G]http://upload.naasen.org/up/che-guevara1232976553.jpg[/IMG]
Do you guys actually have anything to argue here, or are you just going to keep posting bullshit that isn't related to the topic at hand? Should I just leave?

sounds like a lot of cautious optimism...and a lot of good reasons for it. here's hoping she regains all her functions and faculties. or at least, enough of them to go back to work on Capitol Hill.

how fucking awesome would that be?? Imagine the applause. It would be like the President coming in for the State of the Union address.

ivysaur12

Banned
BertramCooper said:
The Tea Party types deserve heavy criticism because their rhetoric is classless, crass and completely inappropriate. But they should not be held in any way responsible for the attack on Giffords because it's becoming increasingly clear that they had nothing to do with it.

I'm all about blaming the Tea Party when they deserve it, but holding them in any way responsible for a psychotic loner with no comprehensible political views is intellectually dishonest.

There is certainly a discussion to be had on the rhetoric of the far right, but it is unconnected to the horrific events that transpired yesterday.

This is the most correct post in the past couple pages.

I really hope she makes it out of this okay.

Chichikov

BobsRevenge said:
Do you guys actually have anything to argue here, or are you just going to keep posting bullshit that isn't related to the topic at hand? Should I just leave?
No, the most important question to answer at this juncture is to find out if we had more bad people on the right or on the left.

Dennis

Banned
empty vessel said:
There is nothing wrong with piling heaps and heaps of scorn on tea party members. Prejudice against tea party members ought to be encouraged. Politics is not a protected class like race or ethnicity, nor should it be. The supposition that it should strikes me as completely absurd.
This illustrates why you are like an immature child. You favor prejudice as long as it is against those you disagree with.

But in the real world prejudice breeds resentment and retalitory prejudice from the opposing side leading to a coarsing of the politcal debate. This makes it even harder to have civil debate and productive interaction. You may even be so naive that you think that the other side can be defeated and made to disappear so no need for civility....but that is unrealistic.

Zabka

Jesus...the bullet went from the back to the front of her head on the left side and she survived this long. This is unbelievable.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Zabka said:
Jesus...the bullet went from the back to the front of her head on the left side and she survived this long. This is unbelievable.

I think this is the first time there's been contradiction to early reports that she was shot in the face.

Yoritomo

BobsRevenge said:

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU LOOKING TO ARGUE IN THE FACE OF TRAGEDY YOU POLITICAL FUCKWIT. WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO BLAME YOU DUMB SHIT?

You're part of the problem so it's best if you leave.

Dead Man

stupei said:
Watching CNN while waiting for the press conference. The woman from Huffington Post being kind of surprisingly calm and fair-handed. She says there is an important distinction between suggesting Palin is responsible and hoping that this might be a call for her to act more responsibly. Guy from the right responds by quoting aggressive statements from figures on the left. She says these should be brought to light and condemned equally. He doesn't seem to know what to say.

Anchor asks if they can all agree that more inflammatory statements should be dialed back all together from both sides, and the guy on the right says no way because Obama's policies aren't going to change, so the rhetoric shouldn't either.

Please CNN, find an intelligent moderate to represent the right so I'll feel a little less depressed by this shit. I'm genuinely curious about how McCain feels about the politicizing of all this.
Unsurprising, but disappointing.

Tedesco!

Pristine_Condition said:
LOL what a load of self-rightious bullshit from the left.

Yeah, the left would never portray anyone as a traitor. They'd never buy up a full-age ad in the New York Times to do it either...

20110109-n311bi8fcrtnpnby9sw4njprfu.jpg

Comparable being the key word. One ad compaign released by MoveOn.org is not comparable to the daily rants from O'Reilly, Beck, Coulter, Rush, Fox News, etc...

Why dont we just go ahead and split the country in half and be done with it. I'm not talking about a violent revolution. More like a divorce. Its obvious that the right and left in the U.S. hate each other now and that is not going to change. Maybe we should just do this now before it becomes a civil war.

BobsRevenge

Matthew Gallant said:
So:

2. The percentage of mentally ill in prison for violent crime is 2-3x higher than the general population.

A maximum of 15% of prisoners being seriously mentally ill compared to 5% out of prison ( http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/SMI_AASR.shtml ) to me just means that the mentally ill aren't as good at getting away with it. But objectively, 85% of violent crimes cannot be explained in terms of mental illness. How could that possibly in any sense make mental illness a baseline factor?
Its also important to note that commiting a violent crime can be part of a diagnoses for several illnesses, chiefly antisocial personality disorder. Since its part of a diagnoses its hard to separate out violent crime from some mental disorders, and that sort of messes with the statistics a bit. Violent individuals with antisocial personality disorder really ought to be in prison, imo. You can't really do too much there.

Wilsongt

I know it has probably been mentioned, but the girl who died was the daughter of a baseball player and granddaughter of a manager for a baseball team...

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looks like she lost quite a bit of her left side of her brain. She cannot speak yet...I get the feeling that if she lives that she will not be the same person, may need to relearn language and many other things before she can function.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
teh_pwn said:
Looks like she lost quite a bit of her left side of her brain. She cannot speak yet...I get the feeling that if she lives that she will not be the same person, may need to relearn language and many other things before she can function.

Doctor made it sound like she couldn't speak more due to being in a ventilator. She could understand what he doctors were saying with their commands.

and since it's anew page. repost of the Medical press conference briefing.

Press conference Info - (will update)

*All victims but Giffords are out of the ICU and no longer in critical condition.

*Giffords can follow simple commands at this point indicating good brain function (squeezing hands, holding up fingers). Not out of the woods, but doctor is cautiously optimistic.

*Gifford is on a ventilator and due to work by the Doctors is unable to open her eyes at this point.

*Was shot in left side of head in almost a perfect angle to avoid much worse damage.

*Biggest threat is brain swelling.

*Despite early reports Doctor believe she was shot in the BACK of the head, not in the front as reports indicated.

*Next update tomorrow at 12EST

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Tedesco! said:
Comparable being the key word. One ad compaign released by MoveOn.org is not comparable to the daily rants from O'Reilly, Beck, Coulter, Rush, Fox News, etc...

Or the rants of Olbermann, Matthews, Schuster, Rachel Maddow, Mike Barnicle, MSNBC, etc...

Honestly, all the people you listed and I listed need a serious chill enema.

Vilix said:
Or the rants of Olbermann, Matthews, Schuster, Rachel Maddow, Mike Barnicle, MSNBC, etc...

are in no way comparable to Beck, Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity, no matter how much false equivalency is drawn,. Stop with that tired bullshit.

Matthew Gallant said:
So:

No, the percentage of people with severe mental disorders for any crime was found in one study to be 2-3x higher than the general population.

Matthew Gallant said:

Your inference that 85% of violent crimes cannot be explained in terms of mental illness is false. First, the study referenced did not focus on violent crimes, but just looked at a jail population in toto. Second, the study referenced is woefully inadequate for many reasons, not the least of which was its superficial methodolgy of detecting even what it described as "severe" mental disorders--administration of a single NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule. A competent and professional diagnostic assessment would require much more data and observation. This was a rough screening device from which the researchers attempted to identify the most obvious and apparent cases of mental illness.

Additionally, as I previously said, most incidence of mental illness and disorders by people who commit violent crimes goes completely undetected in trial (where it is often completely ignored--most crimes result in pleas and receive very little individual attention from lawyers and judges) and in subsequent incarceration (where mental health services to identify and treat mental disorders are severely inadequate and underfunded). Second, there is no reason to limit attention to "severe" mental illness. Mental disorders that cannot be classified as "severe" do play a substantial role in the commission of violent crime. It is important to understand this if we care to understand violent crime. And we should care to understand violent crime, because most believe it would be good to reduce it. The failure to understand the substantial connection between mental health and violent crime renders us unable to see how, e.g., providing universal and robust access to health care for all can have benefits to the society beyond its general health.

BobsRevenge said:
Its also important to note that commiting a violent crime can be part of a diagnoses for several illnesses, chiefly antisocial personality disorder. Since its part of a diagnoses its hard to separate out violent crime from some mental disorders, and that sort of messes with the statistics a bit. Violent individuals with antisocial personality disorder really ought to be in prison, imo. You can't really do too much there.

While it is true that the commission of crimes is a diagnostic criteria for ASPD, it is important to note that ASPD is very controversial within the psychiatric community. Also, ASPD isn't typically what we are referring to when we talk about mental illness/disorders being factors in crime. We are talking about things like bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, mental retardation, depression, schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders, etc.

JayDubya

Banned
mamacint said:
are in no way comparable to Beck, Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity, no matter how much false equivalency is drawn,.

If by "in no way comparable," you mean "directly comparable," and if by "no matter how much false equivalency," you mean "My! What an apt comparison!" then yes.

Otherwise, not so much accuracy here, no.

But please keep telling us that your hyperpartisan asshole blowhards' shit don't stink.

guldakot

Still looking for a comparitive list for attacks specifically on democrats made by right wingers, because I know plenty have happened in the past, but here is a list of political violence since pretty much 2004 against republicans or republican interests.

If anyone can find a similar type list for violence against democrats it would be appreciated.

Also some of this stuff on the list is small time, I could care less if some jackass pisses on a picture of GWBush in someones yard, but firing bullets into a senators office isn't small time, and of the bigger ones listed Ive found the corresponding news story pretty easily based on the dates given.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-gop/2480037/posts

having trouble finding a comprehensive list but here are some since the healthcare reform bill went live, including someone slashing a gas line of a congressmens house?
http://the-reaction.blogspot.com/2010/03/consequences-of-conservative-speech.html

Definately actual violence on both sides, not just threats or veiled calls for them in the media.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
mamacint said:
are in no way comparable to Beck, Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity, no matter how much false equivalency is drawn,. Stop with that tired bullshit.

They are just as bad, and in some cases, worse. They all build their shows on the bases the "We're with you as long as you agree with us" mentality.

Vilix said:
They are just as bad, and in some cases, worse. They all build their shows on the bases the "We're with you as long as you agree with us" mentality.
the lefties don't have nearly the influence as the righties. I think that's the point he was making about equivalency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom