• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console Wars: Why do they exist?

JordanN

Banned
I don't buy wars exist out of justifying purchase. How come you don't see car owners shitting on people who ride bicycles?

The nature of consoles is just to play games so why care what the other platform does?

I think wars exist just out of necessity to hate something. The same people who actively hate a console would likely have never owned it anyway.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think its a sequence of the answers mentioned already:

Limited resources (as kids) > urge to justify choice of purchase > sense of tribalism > long history breeding brand loyalty > nostalgic attschments (as adults)

Melfice7

Because people are insecure and want to be validated by a toy they bought and other people on the internet

At least that is what it feels like

People keep saying this but its simply not true, its a rivalry
that exists on everything that has competition, be it sports, companies etc...

It will never stop and doesnt matter how much you try to make sense of it.

A team supporters will trash B team supporters and viceversa, FOREVER

Some people are just assholes who like to tell people whatever they like sucks, and it ropes in other people to defend or adapt and end up on the offense, creating a vicious cycle of such a lust for revenge.

Why do you think console wars exist?

console-wars.jpg

Because human nature.

Gaming culture is sadly stuck in a state of arrested development. And its not going to get beyond this adolescent stage because there's no will for it to grow while most of the media panders-to and exploits it for cheap clicks.

What''s worse is that is that noone seems to call-out this sillyness anymore - they'd rather just push pieces that emphasize platform/performance differences in order to rile people up.

It has absolutely nothing to do with gaming culture. Every area where there is a possibility for contention has "wars", fanboys and people taking sides. Politics, sports, etc. You name it

Donos

Gaming culture is sadly stuck in a state of arrested development. And its not going to get beyond this adolescent stage because there's no will for it to grow while most of the media panders-to and exploits it for cheap clicks.

What''s worse is that is that noone seems to call-out this sillyness anymore - they'd rather just push pieces that emphasize platform/performance differences in order to rile people up.

Rather consumer culture. This "war" thing exists in every industry were a few top dogs exists. Canon vs Nikon, Audi vs BMW vs BMW, in Smartphones Apple, Samsung, Google etc.

Everywhere. And everywhere, a lot of people choose sides because they churned out a lot of money and want to be in the "winner" team.

Meaty OP. Would read again.

Edit: beat by UnemployedVillain

tokkun

But why not stop at the "becomes a fan" part? You don't gain anything from shitting on the other thing.

Freud had a theory that addresses this.

In terms of postmodernity, consumer culture has been seen as predicated on the narcissism of small differences to achieve a superficial sense of one's own uniqueness, an ersatz sense of otherness which is only a mask for an underlying uniformity and sameness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism_of_small_differences

joecanada

Why do car wars exist?
Why do stereo wars exist?
Why do phone wars exist?

I could go on but someone probably could write a book on this topic.

Angel_DvA

Because it's fun and humans love to fight other humans to prove a point...

There is always a superior and an inferior offer/product, the only people that get mad about those things are the people from the losing camp, it's like Microsoft trying to be the good friend with Sony instead of being aggressive like they were at the 360 times...

I have all consoles and still prefer Sony this gen because of Microsoft fucked up thing since 2013, even now, i recommend the PS4 to people over the X1 when it was the opposite at the 360 time.

duvjones

Banned
Sega is mostly to blame for it with the whole "Nintendon't" marketing campaign. Not to say that Nintendo was any better in that era, but that would be the first real sign of it to me.
Sony has more or less kept that legacy alive (in part due to hiring some of Sega's marketing staff during the PSX era), and Microsoft has been more than willing to trade barbs on that.

But as to why this still keeps happening... I don't know. Around the "Nintendon't" marketing campaign, Sega was looking for anything that would promote their product in light of a dominate platform (The Super Nintendo Entertainment System). Sony has more or less been the same, with the fact that IT has been the dominate platform (the only real exception to that was during the PS3 days, even then it was rather close). And despite what I think (which is that the whole thing is rather dumb), it does work despite no reason to do it.... Look at the PS4.

Ainsz

From the the consumer side of things, there's a bunch of clear reasons why it exists. But these days it's also a great marketing tool for SONY and MS.

Finaika

Because you must always choose a side.

PS4 or Xbone
PC or Consoles
Nvidia or AMD
Marvel or DC
Cats or Dogs
etc

Because human nature.
This. The simple fact is that humans crave conflict. Need it. If no confluct exists, they create it. A miserable species that will end it's own existence. This is why people fight over toys or sports, inconsequential worries so they may pretend to have real ones. This is why we must discard them, evolve further. We are imperfection given life. It is time to arrive for perfection. That's why oculus rift>PSVR.

javadoze

They were started by kids whose parents bought them only one console and they want to justify their only console to themselves by downplaying the others.

Naturally, with more of these kids getting internet access, the arguments went to forums and messageboards.

Eventually, people grow up and get disposable incomes, which allows them to buy all the consoles and not really care about the "console wars" anymore.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Because you can't play ALL the games and need to justify the choice you made.

I would have thought that would be the case but I have also seen people with multiple consoles unfortunately engage in this. Even in GAF.

Because money, that's all.

Given enough money, one would have a more genuine and free approach to gaming, trying new things and actually caring about the games instead of the platform.

The less money you have, the more you'll be invested in your platform of choice. Especially if you're young.

Purchases are mostly irrational acts.

There's a lot of folks on NeoGaf who sincerely believe the hobby/industry is a zero-sum game where in order for the things they personally like to succeed, the things they personally dislike must fail.

That's why you see a lot of language like "If X succeeds it will just encourage more publishers and developers to do shit like this" and various flawed premises about how X thing (that they don't personally like or agree with) will be "bad for the industry."

You can find these people most commonly in press conference threads bitching loudly about why Sony is playing a call of duty trailer instead of showing a niche exclusive.

A) Humans like to pick a side
B) It's a business
C) People generally don't buy every console, or always have the money for this. Families especially.
D) They try to get business from the above people
E) People want the thing that's best.

inm8num2

Marketing can be really effective in getting people to care about brands just as much as, if not more than, the products.

Are we talking about last gen console war?
Because the current Gen already has a clear winner by far right?

Wii u has stopped production and the X1 cant keep up with the PS4 sells in the USA and the majority of the world.
I think the real battle happening or that I'm seeing now it's PC Vs Console.
Ah, I almost forgot about the 3ds , but that's also a clear winner in the portable console side.

-Horizon-

"My console is better than yours"
"This company does better than yours"
"These games are better than those"

Gotta throw your superiority around on the internet somehow.

Sega is mostly to blame for it with the whole "Nintendon't" marketing campaign. Not to say that Nintendo was any better in that era, but that would be the first real sign of it to me.
Sony has more or less kept that legacy alive (in part due to hiring some of Sega's marketing staff during the PSX era), and Microsoft has been more than willing to trade barbs on that.

But as to why this still keeps happening... I don't know. Around the "Nintendon't" marketing campaign, Sega was looking for anything that would promote their product in light of a dominate platform (The Super Nintendo Entertainment System). Sony has more or less been the same, with the fact that IT has been the dominate platform (the only real exception to that was during the PS3 days, even then it was rather close). And despite what I think (which is that the whole thing is rather dumb), it does work despite no reason to do it.... Look at the PS4.

I really wouldn't blame Sega for anything. All they did was capitalize on a phenomenon that has been occurring for a really long time. Tribalism predates Sega.

This. The simple fact is that humans crave conflict. Need it. If no confluct exists, they create it. A miserable species that will end it's own existence. This is why people fight over toys or sports, inconsequential worries so they may pretend to have real ones. This is why we must discard them, evolve further. We are imperfection given life. It is time to arrive for perfection. That's why oculus rift>PSVR.

You got me at the end there lol

Because you must always choose a side.

PS4 or Xbone
PC or Consoles
Nvidia or AMD
Marvel or DC
Cats or Dogs
etc

Flour or Wheat
Pinto beans or Black beans
White Rice or Brown Rice
Chicken or Steak

yeah... i think im just labeling stuff from my choices at illigal petes :p

Because that's how people are about everything.

I also don't think that paying $300 each for multiple systems to play mostly the same games proves that you're objective and above this.

I'll pick the one I want, be several hundred dollars richer, and you can call me biased.

I also don't think that paying $300 each for multiple systems to play mostly the same games proves that you're objective and above this.

I'll pick the one I want, be several hundred dollars richer, and you can call me biased.

Well, having all platform actually gives you one thing you can't have staying with a single one: freedom of choice.

And yes, in this world and age, freedom comes with money.

And you don't really need every single platform, if you know which games you like.

But saying that you can find ALL games you could like on a single platform is being delusional. It's a harsh world, I know.

Top Bottom