• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

ahm998

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_010_DD.jpg

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_010_DD.jpg

Man, I dunno how I feel about that.

It's a good shot but that level of image quality doesn't come cheap. That's certainly not what most BF4 users will see on their PCs. Not even close.

Even at 200% resolution scaling with MSAA the results I see on my PC aren't THAT clean.

Did you take that shot? What settings were you using? Do you really hit 60 fps constant? It's so far beyond what I can achieve on my GTX680 (which is a bit old now) and i5-3570k that it looks like a different generation. Seriously.

I mean it looks great, but it kind of makes the flaws more evident as well. That a lot of the detail is still texturing rather than geometry/tessalation.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I mean it looks great, but it kind of makes the flaws more evident as well. That a lot of the detail is still texturing rather than geometry/tessalation.
OK, I just took a couple shots.

Here's the same area on my PC.

This first shot is taken with a mix of High and Ultra settings which produces 60 fps here. All Ultra produces 39 fps with just FXAA.

JZz.png

This second shot was taken with the same mix of settings with two exceptions; I used 200% resolution scaling mixed with 2x MSAA. This is the result. As you can see it looks nowhere NEAR as clean as the shot the PC shot posted above. The framerate? 9 fps. Yes, nine frames per second and I can't even touch that other PC shot.
MZz.png

The PS4 shot is definitely not as clean but I think it compares quite favorably especially considering how consistent its performance is. On my PC I still get plenty of jitters and hitching while playing that kind of drive me nuts (very very subtle but quite annoying). Most PC gamers wouldn't be bothered by it I'm sure but it bothers me.

PS4

amarectv2013-11-1515-susx6.jpg

Interestingly, when alt-tabbing between the shots, the PS4 shot has more geometry detail than my PC shots.

This is a challenging shot, though, as the vegetation is bathed in light which makes it more prone to aliasing even when using super high-end settings for image quality. I'm not even confident that the other PC shot is achievable in game. It looks like it was captured at a higher resolution along with maximum settings and then downscaled with a good image editor.

Love the concept for this thread, it'll be great once XBONE and 3DW are out.

Don't think I've seen any of the Quaggled Mireclops from Pikmin 3 here yet. My first time uploading a screen from Wii U, works well, though it was hard to pause when I wanted to (and I didn't really get what I wanted to)

ibwsAGxpC2wQrU.jpg

The great thing about all of these screenshots is they're from cross gen and launch titles. What we're seeing today is probably the among the worst we'll ever see on this new generation as developers get used to each platform.

Meeting the red Pikmin for the first time - Pikmin 3
WiiU_screenshot_TV_012BD.jpg

The name on this thing flip flops a lot throughout the game, at least the beginning anyway - Deux Ex: HR DC on Wii U
WiiU_screenshot_TV_012BA.jpg

dark10x

Man, Knack looks really damn good. It's accomplishments are quite subtle but they have excellent AO in effect and very geometrically rich scenery. It's something that won't immediately jump out to most people but if you look closely you can really see that a lot of work went into crafting the backgrounds.

Also, some of the Wii U games really look quite nice in stills. NFS-Most Wanted looks less than great in stills, though, I'm finding as does Deus Ex HR (which uses an art style that basically demands super clean image quality). Also, CoD Ghosts on WiiU is a travesty. Ugly as sin in shots despite its slow framerate (compared to the others).

Nintendo's first party stuff, though? Brilliant.

Blinck

The light in Knack is awesome. But man, what a stale art-direction. Hopefully they use some of that engine on another game that does it justice.

VanWinkle

^ Man, Knack looks REALLY good. May have to pick it up when it gets cheap. Not interested in it enough to pay full price for it.

thelastword

Banned
Killzone Shadowfall is definitely the truth, best looking game out there bar none. Spectacular shots Timu.

AC4 Black flag looks atrocious, 900p upscaled with aliasing issues and bad textures just does not cut it. This is it folks, upscaled games will never look as good as native 1080p and the nerve of some folks who say they can't tell the difference between an even lower 720p vs 1080p.....sheesh!....boggles the mind.

Anywho's, at least BF4 has many next gen assets, top of the line effects and textures, nice char models etc...so it looks really nice at 900p upscaled, but it makes me think how much better it would look at 1080p native, anyways, maybe next time DICE.

I'm a sucker for good IQ and a clean image, Windwaker looks really nice in the screens posted, it makes me kinda want to get a Wiiu on the cheap for this and bayonetta 2. Also, can I play the Metroid prime series on the Wiiu?

dark10x

Can people posting multiplatform game shots say which console it's for?
It's kind of easy to tell, really. Which games have you confused?

Anywho's, at least BF4 has many next gen assets, top of the line effects and textures, nice char models etc...so it looks really nice at 900p upscaled, but it makes me think how much better it would look at 1080p native, anyways, maybe next time DICE.
Yeah, BF4 at 900p is still reasonably clean.

amarectv2013-11-1515-neicb.jpg

While AC4 is jaggy as hell.

amarectv2013-11-1610-r0dhj.jpg

TMNT

Banned
That 900p is pretty evident in those screen of AC4. It looked so much sharper in their pre-release footage.

Timu

Man, Knack looks really damn good. It's accomplishments are quite subtle but they have excellent AO in effect and very geometrically rich scenery. It's something that won't immediately jump out to most people but if you look closely you can really see that a lot of work went into crafting the backgrounds.
Yeah I notice it as well which is awesome.

The light in Knack is awesome. But man, what a stale art-direction. Hopefully they use some of that engine on another game that does it justice.
Yep, would be awesome.

^ Man, Knack looks REALLY good. May have to pick it up when it gets cheap. Not interested in it enough to pay full price for it.
Definitely when it's below 40 bucks.

Man KZ and Knack look absolutely wonderful.
Agreed.

Killzone Shadowfall is definitely the truth, best looking game out there bar none. Spectacular shots Timu.
Thanks!!!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Did you take that shot? What settings were you using? Do you really hit 60 fps constant? It's so far beyond what I can achieve on my GTX680 (which is a bit old now) and i5-3570k that it looks like a different generation. Seriously.

Based on his other BF4 images on Flickr, these are likely his settings.

"Battlefield 4" - 3840x1920, 130% resolution scale, 2xMSAA, SweetFX

Not sure about the frame rate though.

resogun1_by_thatsmytrunks-d6uhbt3.gif

Longer form Resogun explosion gif, as requested.

One of my favorite things to do in Resogun so far:
in_the_hole_by_thatsmytrunks-d6uhcp3.gif

You're the best person.

Damn. Ubisoft need to release that 1080p patch. Lighting and visuals in general look more like last gen refined than true next gen like some of the other games.

I've got a great temptation to start that game without the patch then install it when it is out to see the difference

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That one illuminated tree can fuck right off, as it takes my framerate with it.

Best looking next-gen games based on this thread:

- AC4, Killzone, BF4

Worst looking next-gen games based on this thread:

- Knack, Dead Rising 3

That BF4 PC shot dark1x is commenting on is unbelievable, though. Such sharpness. In 1-2 years it will be possible to play it @ 60fps on ultra PCs.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
JZz.png

MZz.png

Interestingly, when alt-tabbing between the shots, the PS4 shot has more geometry detail than my PC shots.

This is a challenging shot, though, as the vegetation is bathed in light which makes it more prone to aliasing even when using super high-end settings for image quality. I'm not even confident that the other PC shot is achievable in game. It looks like it was captured at a higher resolution along with maximum settings and then downscaled with a good image editor.

Even so, both PC shots look way better than the PS4 one when side by side.

Jamix012

AC4 Black flag looks atrocious, 900p upscaled with aliasing issues and bad textures just does not cut it. This is it folks, upscaled games will never look as good as native 1080p and the nerve of some folks who say they can't tell the difference between an even lower 720p vs 1080p.....sheesh!....boggles the mind.

I'm a sucker for good IQ and a clean image, Windwaker looks really nice in the screens posted, it makes me kinda want to get a Wiiu on the cheap for this and bayonetta 2. Also, can I play the Metroid prime series on the Wiiu?

Wind Waker is awesome, worth a Wii U purchase if you haven't played it before IMO. Metroid Prime series is playable in Wii mode with a Wii mote and I like the way the Wii U upscales it so it looks better to me. (I'm actually selling MPT in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread for $45 with free shipping if you're interested.)

thelastword

Banned
PS4

Is that PS4 shot using the PS4 screenshot tool or is it a direct feed screen via a capture card?

VXLbeast said:
And Knack looks a lot better than I thought.

Yes it does, I like that it's a very clean game as it relates to anti-aliasing, nice lighting, effects and scenery, I wish they would have gone more gung-ho on textures though, that would have given it some extra pop.

kyser73

I have sparkly eyes now. So hyped for my PS4 on 28/11.

Real revelation of the thread - the WiiU images, especially WWHD and Pikmin, absolutely stunning and as a couple of people have remarked its down to art style rather than horsepower. I get the same feels as I do with PS games like Flower & Journey.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is that PS4 shot using the PS4 screenshot tool or is it a direct feed screen via a capture card?

The Exif data says that it was created in Photoshop and saved at 81% compression.

So it's far from lossless either way, but it was likely captured with capture hardware and saved/converted with Photoshop.

The only other alternative I guess would be that they uploaded it to Facebook with the PS4, downloaded it, and saved it again with Photoshop.

Edit: Apparently the image compression info it returns isn't accurate because I tested an image I saved with next to 0 compression and it just reported "88%"

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I came here only to post this too

Knack

Uncharted 1

In my opinion, that generation will have a little of difficult to show the superiority only with screens.

It should be pointed out that while the screenshot is only around 720p, the actual game is rendered at 1080p so it would look significantly better in comparison than those two screenshots compare.

Edit:

Here's Knack as it's rendered in game compared against Uncharted 2 as it's actually rendered in game.

forest02.png

0LzpQTb.png

PVvgimV.png

Keep in mind those Uncharted images would get scaled up to your TV's resolution.

Top Bottom