• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles screenshots thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU) [Up: Thread rules in OP]

Madouu

Great thread, keep the screenshots coming! I've been enjoying browsing through all of them and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Pjsprojects

Would be cool to see some direct comparisons of games on both Wii U and PS4 such as AC Black Flag etc

I tried on this very page with Ghosts but it's not easy with action games.

Also we don't want to turn this in to a pissing contest because apart from a couple of posts this is a great 'games' thread.

psn

Yeah, BF4 at 900p is still reasonably clean.

amarectv2013-11-1515-neicb.jpg

I can't believe they aren't using a simple sharpening filter for the ps4 version. Looks so much cleaner. The X1 Version clearly uses one.

This is the same picture with a bit more sharpening, did it in Photoshop:
ARNsoSX.jpg

thelastword

Banned
yes, you'd have to get the trilogy for Wii though if you want to play all 3

Jamix012 said:
Wind Waker is awesome, worth a Wii U purchase if you haven't played it before IMO. Metroid Prime series is playable in Wii mode with a Wii mote and I like the way the Wii U upscales it so it looks better to me. (I'm actually selling MPT in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread for $45 with free shipping if you're interested.)

Thanks guys, I've never owned a Nintendo console but I always wanted to try Zelda and Metroid Prime, since this is also the only place I can play Bayonetta 2. I'm thinking of killing two birds with one stone, but I will do so when there's a deal on the Wiiu. I'm sure there will be a spiffy deal somewhere for the holidays.

Thanks for the offer on MPT though seems to be a pretty good deal. If I happen to get a Wiiu later this year, I'll pm you, if it's still available.

Alo81 said:
Edit: Apparently the image compression info it returns isn't accurate because I tested an image I saved with next to 0 compression and it just reported "88%"
Ok, thanks for the info. I guess you got where I was going with the question, I just wanted to know how much compression was nested in that image vs the pc shots.

PetrCobra

Compressed or not, I love how some of the PS4 screens look. I ain't even interested in the console but especially Killzone and Resogun screens look fantastic.

Nice collection of Wii U screens, too. Even though the aliasing is a bit painful at times on the stills, games like Pikmin 3 and WW HD look really pretty.

BDGAME

It should be pointed out that while the screenshot is only around 720p, the actual game is rendered at 1080p so it would look significantly better in comparison than those two screenshots compare.

Edit:

Here's Knack as it's rendered in game compared against Uncharted 2 as it's actually rendered in game.

forest02.png

0LzpQTb.png

PVvgimV.png

Keep in mind those Uncharted images would get scaled up to your TV's resolution.

Ok, can you look to that knack screen and tell it is from a machine 10x more powerful than the machine that made the Uncharted screen? Can you?

synce

Ok, can you look to that knack screen and tell it is from a machine 10x more powerful than the machine that made the Uncharted screen? Can you?

Considering Knack is a simplistic launch title and ND went through hell developing Uncharted 1, yes :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Well first off, we're comparing two entirely different art styles from two entirely different teams so it's not an even footing comparison from the start.

Secondly, you can totally tell yeah definitely.

Look at the IQ on Knack and how it's not only rendered at 1080p, it doesn't have a lick of aliasing in sight (due in part to FXAA though - blegh).

Uncharted's rendering res is dinky in comparison, and is absolutely littered with aliasing. In motion it would look even worse in comparison because there would be a ton of shimmering due to the aliasing.

On top of that, the 720p Uncharted image would be stretched up to 1080p causing even more unfortunate effects.

Looking at the two side by side, you can certianly tell one is on significantly better hardware - even though it's a launch game that was developed in likely less time, likely by a less capable team, and with significantly less experience working with the machine.

Man, I need to get Pikmin 3 soon. The environments look amazing from what I've seen.

you won't believe how good it looks in motion on a TV screen.
absolutly amazing. in fact sometimes I had the feeling it uses some graphic effects of that bird-demo from last years E3.
the combination of perfectly set depth tricks, photorealistic textures and the superb lightning is what it makes so special.
there are moments I had to stop and rub my eyes because I couldn't believe it.

(not mine)
1SOONSK.jpg

HFJzCWt.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Liking these PS4 shots. Shadow Fall looks great, even if it kinda looks like there's a bit too much DOF/blur in some shots, and some weird dithering filter for LOD (The Witcher 2 used something like this). Cleaner shots look really fucking fantastic. Awesome lighting and great texture work.

Knack looks pretty solid technically, but I don't like the art. Textures don't look too hot, but the lighting is nice, the ambient occlusions look great, and the visual quality looks clean. I'm sure it looks pretty impressive in motion.

Downside to both: the fucking compression artefacts. It's like Miiverse all over again. Many props to the Wii U's image upload via browser. I remarked awhile ago how even at jpg format it appears to capture a nearly pixel perfect snap straight from the frame buffer. Basically no compression to speak of, proper colours and tones, and...pixel perfect aliasing :p. Basically the perfect capture tool right inside the system. And that's great, since I lamented the downscaling and compression of Miiverse shots and hoped for an alternative.

Would be great of the PS4 got the same treatment. Absolutely no reason it couldn't.

It's a launch title and it's not meant to be a visual showcase. I'm not understanding the point you're trying to get at.

Yanikun

Banned
Does Knack even look all that better than Skylanders Swap Force on current-gen systems or Wii U? Serious question, as I don't have either game, just looking at screenshots online.

I guess we'll get used to it, but I'm also of the opinion that it's getting hard to really make the difference clear. I'm not completely blown away by the PS4 and Xbox One, as the games look more like current-gen bullshots in motion than anything. I'd love to see a Wii U Metroid or something, as I would imagine realistic art styles are where any differences in power would be most obvious.

Gurish

You mention these as if they were bad things. And not just AA, if it was downscaled, then the game would be rendered at higher than 1080p, wouldn't it?

They are bad things because i want a direct capture of how the game looks,no added effects and bullshit.

I am also wondering if that shot i quoted is from gameplay or cinematic,that's also a big difference.

velociraptor

OK, I just took a couple shots.

Here's the same area on my PC.

This first shot is taken with a mix of High and Ultra settings which produces 60 fps here. All Ultra produces 39 fps with just FXAA.

JZz.png

This second shot was taken with the same mix of settings with two exceptions; I used 200% resolution scaling mixed with 2x MSAA. This is the result. As you can see it looks nowhere NEAR as clean as the shot the PC shot posted above. The framerate? 9 fps. Yes, nine frames per second and I can't even touch that other PC shot.
MZz.png

The PS4 shot is definitely not as clean but I think it compares quite favorably especially considering how consistent its performance is. On my PC I still get plenty of jitters and hitching while playing that kind of drive me nuts (very very subtle but quite annoying). Most PC gamers wouldn't be bothered by it I'm sure but it bothers me.

PS4

amarectv2013-11-1515-susx6.jpg

Interestingly, when alt-tabbing between the shots, the PS4 shot has more geometry detail than my PC shots.

This is a challenging shot, though, as the vegetation is bathed in light which makes it more prone to aliasing even when using super high-end settings for image quality. I'm not even confident that the other PC shot is achievable in game. It looks like it was captured at a higher resolution along with maximum settings and then downscaled with a good image editor.
PS4 version surprisingly holds up well, although 1080p would have made such a huge difference. The geometry in the PC shot looks much more refined because of that.

Does Knack even look all that better than Skylanders Swap Force on current-gen systems or Wii U? Serious question, as I don't have either game, just looking at screenshots online.

I guess we'll get used to it, but I'm also of the opinion that it's getting hard to really make the difference clear. I'm not completely blown away by the PS4 and Xbox One, as the games look more like current-gen bullshots in motion than anything. I'd love to see a Wii U Metroid or something, as I would imagine realistic art styles are where any differences in power would be most obvious.

Compare like for like though. Can you post shots of any current gen FPS that comes close to what you see in the HQ Killzone shots?

Here is a shot of an interior in H4 versus KZ

Can you honestly say there isn't much difference?

cacildo

In my opinion, that generation will have a little of difficult to show the superiority only with screens.

I feel the same way

Its not that the new-gen graphics are "ugly". Its just that last gen's graphics were allready very very nice

Sony and MS dropped the ball with release titles because they are old gameplay with "new" graphics that arent that impressive...

A shooter with destructible enviroments like Red Faction Guerrilla would make a lot better job as a launch title than what we got from sony....

edit

Here is a shot of an interior in H4 versus KZ

Can you honestly say there isn't much difference?

i dont want to sound like an asshole, but i really dont know which one is next gent, if one of them is. Maybe is the pictures that dosent do the scenes justice, but i really cant see it

velociraptor

I feel the same way

Its not that the new-gen graphics are "ugly". Its just that last gen's graphics were allready very very nice

Sony and MS dropped the ball with release titles because they are old gameplay with "new" graphics that arent that impressive...

A shooter with destructible enviroments like Red Faction Guerrilla would make a lot better job as a launch title than what we got from sony....
It's simple - these screenshots are compressed to hell. Furthermore, it's unlikely you will appreciate the visuals unless the game is in motion. It's very difficult to show how much of a difference 1080p makes with screenshots too; IQ itself can make a 'current-gen' game look 2x better.

I feel the same way

edit

i dont want to sound like an asshole, but i really dont know which one is next gent, if one of them is. Maybe is the pictures that dosent do the scenes justice, but i really cant see it
There is a very noticible difference to me. Asset quality, lighting, IQ, modelling, effects. Halo 4 is a very good looking game, easily one of the most impressive FPS on consoles, but the difference is very obvious to me. Maybe you might need to wait a couple of gens then.

Pitmonkey

For anyone posting Wii U screenshots, hit the home button than hit Internet and go to a photo upload site like imgur. From there hit upload and an option to upload whats on the game pad and whats on screen appears. The on screen image will be 720p.

Frodo

For anyone posting Wii U screenshots, hit the home button than hit Internet and go to a photo upload site like imgur abload.de. From there hit upload and an option to upload whats on the game pad and whats on screen appears. The on screen image will be 720p.

Fixed that for you. Best alternative of the ones I tried so far, with little to no compression at all. It is not in English, but you shouldn't have a problem to figure out how it works, since the words look very similar to their English counterpart.

Raven77

Why are people trying to compare next gen launch titles to games that came out very late previous gen like Halo 4? Makes no sense.

Why are people trying to compare next gen launch titles to games that came out very late previous gen like Halo 4? Makes no sense.

Well to be fair, if people are going to want an incentive to upgrade, they are going to look at the lastest game they have played from this gen. Personally, I think there is a pretty big difference. That shot shows Halo 4 very favourably. In motion the difference, is BIG. Halo 4 is still stunning though.

RM8

As someone who still doesn't own any of these systems
will go PS4+WiiU
, lol at a GameCube more than holding its own in this thread. Game is stunning :0

Alcander

Man I really need to get a Wii U... Pikmin and Zelda WW HD look phenomenal...

Knack looks really good in some screens too. Sucks that the gameplay is fairly lackluster. I just listened to Weekend Confirmed where Andrew discussed the game; he seemed really down on it :(

RM8

Also shame on you, early PS4 owners, for not posting more Resogun stuff. Like we don't know how CoD or BF looks already :p

Top Bottom