• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contest: Voice an NPC in Mass Effect: Andromeda

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QLgy-1I3S8

Link to download scripts: http://blog.bioware.com/2016/08/30/explorers-wanted-contest/

BlogTitle.png

You’re an explorer. You’ve always wondered what it would be like to see the stars and discover new worlds. While we can’t physically send you to space, we can send your voice to Andromeda.

Starting September 12, 2016 at 6 PM GMT, we’re giving you the chance to voice a character in an upcoming Mass Effect videogame.

All you need to do is download a script, upload your vocal take, send the link to explorers@bioware.com, and you’ll be entered. Video and audio recordings are both acceptable. Once you’ve submitted your entry, we encourage you to share it on social media with #ExplorersWanted.

No accents, makeup, costumes, or props are necessary: just a recording of you speaking in your natural voice. If you want to be a little more dramatic, feel free—just remember that your entry will be judged on the quality of your voice performance and how well it matches the Mass Effect style.

The contest entry period closes on September 28, 2106 at 6:59 AM GMT, at which point the entries will be judged by a panel of BioWare employees. The potential winner will be notified on or before November 30, 2016.

The winner will be flown to one of our recording studios, put up in a hotel for up to two nights, and perform in a professional recording session

DorkyMohr

Banned
One of the characters is a freelance video documentarian. So sign up if you want to be punched in the face by Ryder I guess.

I know I don't have an amazing natural voice. But I've always wanted to try and do some voice acting. I always thought I'd love to do some free work for an indie game or something. Will be fun to do this.

PSqueak

Banned
I've never heard anyone talk without an accent. What does that sound like?

Depending the language and region there are accents that are considered "neutral", it's kinda how shit is dubbed into spanish for latin america.

You should see how it works, it's amazing, i remember Disney was airing some promos for the dubbing of fishhooks, they got some kids from chile i believe, so they interviewed them and spoke with their natural chilean accents, but then when they got into character, holy shit, NO ACCENT, it was amazing.

Im assuming there must be something similar for english.

Mindlog

Tip for budding VAs.
Ryder, isn’t it? Jordan Tate, freelance vidmaker. (Friendly, enthused.)
Superintendent Drake’s asked for an “uplifting” documentary (Annoyed by Drake, fake bubbly at end.)
about our efforts. Translation: paint rainbows over our problems.
But people deserve the truth, not propaganda.(Earnest.)
Improv that line. It doesn't flow with the character. Choose more snark, subtlety or omit it entirely.

Look at me I'm an EP now!
Neat contest.
It's actively uncouraged in the fine print.
I want H. Jon to submit an entry.

Super excited to give this a shot. I've never thought of doing anything like this, but given that they are only going to judge your voice and not the creativity of your video or the number of shares and retweets it gets, it gives everyone a fighting chance.

Sounds cool, but I have don't have any good recording devices, hopefully my phone will be good enough.

Going for script 2, even if I'm the exact opposite of a tough merc.

So, can I enter if I'm not from US/UK? English isn't my primary language but I've been speaking it since I was like 3. I can pull of a near perfect "basic" American accent.

Edit: Nvm, just read the rules in the link. Sucks.

eligibility rules are in the link, you don't have to be from US/UK

is open only to legal residents of Australia,Canada (excluding Quebec), New Zealand ,United Kingdom and the United States (including the District of Colombia) who are at least as old as the minimum age of majority in the jurisdiction from which they enter the Contest

Would they.. uhh.. be paid for this.. or is Bioware looking for basically free voice work?
...they're flying the winner out on their dime and taking care of all expenses. This a reward for any big Mass Effect fan to be a part of the game in a minute manner. They're not trying to save a buck for a small NPC voice.

...they're flying the winner out on their dime and taking care of all expenses. This a reward for any big Mass Effect fan to be a part of the game in a minute manner. They're not trying to save a buck for a small NPC voice.

Yep. I mean, yes, it's PR as well, but this isn't "free" work. It's a cool chance for a fan.

PMS341

Well, I'm constantly being told to go into radio or VA, but for whatever reason I've never given it a shot.

Might as well see what happens with this.

Stiler

No accent.....

What if our natural speaking voice has a very noticeable accent lol.

Hope they like a hillbilly sounding "tough mercenary."

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope they get someone with a huge amount of vocal fry to drive most everyone batty.

No accent.....

I think the natural voice part just means don't put on an accent. Just speak how you speak.

Though I'm guessing it's not likely they pick somebody with a super strong regional accent, like Cajun or something.

Zomba13

No accent.....

They say no accent necessary . Meaning you don't have to put on a Southern drawl or a fake French accent for the character, their voice is your voice. It's not like Mercenary Thug is strictly a gruff German male who is fluent in his native language but struggling with English.

Aah I thought this would be for more major character and these scripts were just auditions.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've got a voice made for radio that is tweaked in Kiwi deliciousness.....I can see myself becoming a NPC in Mass Effect....let's do this.

Calling it now, I'm the new Conrad Verner.

The no fake accent rule kills it for me, my normal voice isn't great but I could do all kinds of accents/voices :(. Guess I can't use my meatwad voice from ATHF.

Top Bottom