• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial final fantasy opinions?

I agree that FFXIII is underrated. But, I think FFX is way overrated. Those two games are similar in many ways and I think in most cases XIII comes out on top.
FFX has a much better progression system, cast and story. Also it's split between towns and corridors at least, XIII is a constant stream of corridors and for like the first half or three fifths of the game you don't have any control over who you want to use, you're just given like two or three characters for each section and have to just make do with them.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Read what I wrote again.

No.

I read it. You're wrong. You can perform an action on only when your turn is available. You stated If you and an enemy

It's not turns, because you don't get a *turn*, you get an *action*.

ATB turn-based combat:
  • A character's initial turn is based on a timer, and is also based on stats, equipment, spells/magic, items, the type of action used, and other character's actions.
    • For example, spells like Haste will impact your turn order, and some equipment (such as weapons in Final Fantasy X) will allow you to attack first.
  • Turns cannot be taken simultaneously (otherwise they wouldn't be "turns").
  • Whenever more than one character has their ATB gauge filled at the same time, the turn order is decided by whomever selects their action first.
Non-ATB turn-based combat:
  • A character's initial turn is not based on a timer, and is instead solely based on stats, equipment, spells/magic, items, the type of action used, and other character's actions.
    • For example, spells like Haste will impact your turn order, and some equipment (such as weapons in Final Fantasy X) will allow you to attack first.
  • Turns cannot be taken simultaneously (otherwise they wouldn't be "turns").
  • The turn order is set in stone, other than turns being moved around based on equipment, spells/magic, items, the type of action used, and other character's actions (similar to the first bullet item).

Everything acts simultaneously and enemies can it you at any time.

More than one character cannot act at the same time. Enemies also cannot attack you at any time. They can only attack you on their turn. The turn is decided based on the timer, and when the character selects their action. The statement you made is false for both ATB and non-ATB turn-based combat.

Now you can put the battle system on *Wait*, but that just puts a stop to the timer and you still have to choose a menu (like items) before it works. It's pretend at best.

That's NOT classic, pure turn based.

Nobody said it was classic turn-based. We're just saying it's turn-based.

That was everything that I responded to. I can't find a single statement you made that isn't false, other than saying that ATB turn-based is not the same thing as "classic, pure" turn-based. Although nobody was arguing that they were the same thing, so the only valid point you made wasn't relevant to anything anyway.

Last edited:

Metnut

Everything after FFX (aside from FF7R) is trash. Hopefully FF16 redeems the mainline franchise.

Also, FF4 will always be better than FF6.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Actually, you're wrong here. ATB is not real turn-based.

I showed how ATB is turn-based combat. It's not the same as classic turn-based combat. It's a turn-based variant. It's still a type of turn-based combat. Feel free to explain to me how it isn't turn-based (not with feelings, but disproving to me what a turn is, and what is an objective requirement for turn-based combat).

Teslerum

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ok, believe what you want. But everything surrounding your definition of a *turn* is just hilarious to me. That applies to a LOOOOOOOOOOT of games, especially under the hood. Basically you just turn-basified a shitload of action-rpgs.

But if that's your definition of *turn-based*, fine. It's broad, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Dwight Office Tv GIF by The Office

FF9 is one of the worst FFs.
Bad aesthetic.
Music is mediocre compared to others.
Battles are slow.
Ability system bland.
Characters boring.
Villains uninspired.

10 was also bad.
Ultra linear.
Sphere grid was pointless.
Battles were mostly the same three enemy types over and over again.
Voice acting wasn't great nor was the story.

Mozzarella

I played FF7, FFT, FF8, FF9, FF10, FF12, FF13, FF15

My controversial opinion would be is that none of these games are masterpieces to me, some of them are very good but i never gave my highest ratings to any of them sadly. FF7, FFT, FF9, FF10 all got the same 4/5 score from me. I think they lacked something for me.
I prefer Chrono Trigger and Suikoden 2 over FF, but FF is great and i like it more than Dragon Quest.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ok, believe what you want. But everything surrounding your definition of a *turn* is just hilarious to me. That applies to a LOOOOOOOOOOT of games, especially under the hood. Basically you just turn-basified a shitload of action-rpgs.

But if that's your definition of *turn-based*, fine. It's broad, but it is what it is.

If two or more characters are able to perform an action simultaneously, that's not turn-based. If characters are unable to act while another character is performing an action, then that means there is a turn. This is a very basic concept. What do you think constitutes a "turn"?

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Bad aesthetic.
Battles are slow.
Ability system bland.
Characters boring.
Villains uninspired.

10 was also bad.
Ultra linear.

umbrella middle finger GIF

Killer8

8 is one of the best in the series. Yes I may be biased because it was my first FF game, but I stand by my opinion.

Best character designs, best soundtrack, interesting story, fun battle system to fuck around with, and Triple fucking Triad.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
13 is an objectively trash video game that can be mostly beaten by spamming auto battle with the occasional paradigm shift. ONly time this doesn't work is with certain optional hunt fights.

Pelao

Crisis Core is the best of the FFVII games, including the main original game.
(I've only played it with Japanese voices and Spanish text, so I've never had to deal with the crappy English translation.)

NahaNago

The only major controversial opinion I have on Final Fantasy is I liked FF14 before the reboot. I just couldn't get into it after the reboot and spent hundreds of hours on the game before then maybe even more than a thousand since I was playing that game everyday for several hours.
7 Remake is full of such an insane amount of boring bullshit padding that I just gave up and quit. The highs are extremely high, but fuck that game.
Yeah, I quit mid game as well. I keep on trying to go back and finishing it since I feel like the next game will be better since it will be more open world hopefully. Midgar was just disappointing. I almost feel like they should have waited 20 more years before making this game.

On my opinion of 13 I've always felt it was a good game just not a good final fantasy game.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I've started IX several times and I couldn't finish it. It becomes a bit dull too fast. It's not a bad game, but I can't see the "BEST GOAT EV4R!" love. Still gotta try to finish it someday.

XIII is a flustercluck, as everybody knows, but the music was fire.

VIII is eh. After 7 it was a bit of a letdown. Too much sappy drama. My wife loves it, but she also loves Too Hot to Handle so her opinion is invalid.

X is my favourite of the series and no, it's not half as corridor-y as XIII is.

I to IV have aged pretty badly, even in their Pixel Remaster versions.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I like the ff7 character with the big boobs more than the one with the medium boobs.

But really I dont think its controversial to say that the jump to hd really knee capped this series for a few years, between the fucked up lead ups and launches of 15 and 13 things were looking dire for a while there. Thankfully between the very good remake of 7 and the so far mess free development of 16, things seem to have gotten back on track. I also quite liked world of final fantasy.

Umbasaborne

Banned
FF16 has shit gameplay.

Nomura is a fucking hack that never grew out of his 8th grade syndrome and somehow keeps getting a pass for his wattpad tier fanfiction he keeps putting in games.

FF14 1.0 was good and realm reborn is homogenous shit.

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF
I feel like Nomura still thinks its 2006. You can tell by the way his characters are designed

Rush2112

Banned
I dunno if this controversial but I got really triggered when they told me I had to watch an anime just be able to understand the plot of FFXV. If you’re a game dev and your RPG requires watching a movie, you fucked up.

Oh and “The Spirits Within” is absolutely DOGSHIT. I know its not a game, thank god, but still final fantasy.

another one: FFXIV only had one good expansion. It was called Heavensward. After that, they fell back on the ridiculous anime tropes.

Last edited:

Bad aesthetic.
Battles are slow.
Ability system bland.
Characters boring.
Villains uninspired.

10 was also bad.
Ultra linear.
I agree on FFIX apart from the music being mediocre, bland ability system and uninspired villains.

13 is an objectively trash video game that can be mostly beaten by spamming auto battle with the occasional paradigm shift. ONly time this doesn't work is with certain optional hunt fights.
You choose if you want to spam auto-battle or not though.

Hell, I found it to be sub-optimal most of the time when I dabbled with it.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Oh and “The Spirits Within” is absolutely DOGSHIT. I know its not a game, thank god, but still final fantasy.

Not too controversial

I'll be more edgy: Advent Children was also a horrible disappointment. Some cool aesthetics here and there, but completely lacking the playful and wondrous feeling of the games, and the last 30+ minutes are so boring with that stupid battle that I'm irritated to even remember that they exist. It was dark and drab and lifeless.

Go_Ly_Dow

VIII is an incredible game (I find it shocking that this is controversial to some) and has an atmosphere and art style that we may never get in a modern game again.

FFX is probably the greatest game ever made.

XII is also an exceptional game which puts a lot of modern games to shame.

BryceNobody

I've started IX several times and I couldn't finish it. It becomes a bit dull too fast. It's not a bad game, but I can't see the "BEST GOAT EV4R!" love. Still gotta try to finish it someday.
Finished it last year for the first time. The first three discs are a slog, but Disc 4 pulls pull off some cool moments.

I don’t hate IX, but I can’t say I really love it the way most fans seem to.

Last edited:
Controversial? I think Yoshitaka Amano has a unique art style and makes some cool looking monsters, but his character designs are u g l y. All blonde, pale skin, half closed depressed eyes, striped/spotted sashes galore. I'm of the opinion that since the final designs that made it into the actual FF games drastically differed from his art, it should all be treated as concept only and tucked away in some gallery.

Instead SquareEnix does the opposite, treating his art like the de-facto source material any time they want to do FF1-6 fanservice. Completely ignoring what the characters looked like in-game and what most players stared at the entire adventure. Showing me a blonde woman with a pink cape and polkadot leggings does not invoke any nostolgic feelings of Terra in my heart.

Worse yet is when you get the doofs on the internet who wants to argue "no no, sprite limitations are the reason why Celes went from wearing a yellow bananasuit to the green 90's anime leotard + oversized shoulder pad cape combo". As if a limited canvas size forced them to go with a radically different design entirely.

Last edited:

mopspear

The preference that some older gamers have for 6 over 7 is sometimes due to hating the more popular thing because it's more popular.

15 is actually very good (it's just messy)

Edmund

FF 13-2 is so underrated. Gorgeous soundtrack and I loved the game so much. None of my friends tried it despite me telling then it is really good.

FF12 is straight garbage to me.

iQuasarLV

Games that can guzzle my shaft and slurp down the gravy.
way to ruin a game by putting progression behind weapon crafting and spell farming and un-skippable summons.
10-2
so far up its own ass
13, 13-2, 13-3
what happens when you put a guy in charge that is a Japanese Peter Molyneux
When the corporate executives and PR teams form Voltron and decide how to overly monetize what should have been a single experience-game

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
See, people are still thinking FF7: Remake as just a remake or retelling, thus frothy anger.
Its not a remake, its a sequel involving time travel, so yeah, there's changes.
Obviously you're free to dislike that, but dislike it for the right reasons, not just "hurf durf remake not 1:1" or "but it says remake in title so dats wot it is lol".
Remakes don't have to be 1:1, they can even deviate from the original story, art direction, concepts, and other stuff. that's what make them unique. infact, 1:1 remakes can be kind of boring at times like Dead Space, which is good but doesn't really do anything extraordinary for a remake: it simply just remakes the game with prettier visuals. We are fine with remakes that deviate from the source material.

The issue isnt that FF7R is an unfaithful remake... the issue is that it's a fucking shit game. It does nothing to add to the original game's story, it's a bunch of weird incomprehensible bullshit written by a director who's writing for the wrong damn franchise & is out of his field. When it's as poorly written, pandering and terrible as this game is i would have even perferred a 1:1 remake. Instead we got this junk which disgraces the original game

Last edited:

Neff

Mine is that Final Fantasy XIII was a good game with an enjoyable plot and cast of characters.

In fact, i'll double down and say that it was a better game than IX

You'll catch shit until the end of time for this but you're right imo. I've been through XIII a few times but I never felt the need to revisit IX.

Myths

FFV is the best one. XIII series has best OST and XIII itself has the most “appeal” (cool factor) in terms of imagery. X sucks all around and is among the worst with IV. II and VIII are actually ok for me, I’d rather play II than X.

III DS/PSP is top 5.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Remakes don't have to be 1:1, they can even deviate from the original story, art direction, concepts, and other stuff. that's what make them unique. infact, 1:1 remakes can be kind of boring at times like Dead Space, which is good but doesn't really do anything extraordinary for a remake: it simply just remakes the game with prettier visuals. We are fine with remakes that deviate from the source material.

The issue isnt that FF7R is an unfaithful remake... the issue is that it's a fucking shit game. It does nothing to add to the original game's story, it's a bunch of weird incomprehensible bullshit written by a director who's writing for the wrong damn franchise & is out of his field. When it's as poorly written, pandering and terrible as this game is i would have even perferred a 1:1 remake. Instead we got this junk which disgraces the original game
Good thing Nomura's not involved with the next ones then.

FF1 - Boring and unplayable by modern standards. It's one of the first games I ever played. And I can't go back.
FF2 - Better than FF1 in every way, but still prototypical
FF3 - Great soundtrack, shitty boring game.
FF4 - Not good. Amazing soundtrack
FF5 - Worse than 4. I don't like the class system.
FF6 - First half is great. The second half is pretty boring. Doesn't sell its concept enough
FF7 - First good FF through and through.
FF8 - So broken that I love it.
FF9 - Cool atmosphere and world design, but kind of boring.
FF10 - God I hate this fucking game.
FF12 - Amazing game. People blame the weak ending on Matsuno leaving halfway through... but I don't think it had that big of an impact. They probably worked off his plans. Historically he's great at set up and rising tension, but weak at tying it together and ending it.
FF13 - Could have been great, but they pretty much botched the execution of essentially everything. Snow isn't as bad as people think he is.
FF14 - The content between ARR and HW is some of the best material in the whole game. I love the Crystal Braves stuff, Bahamut and Crystal Tower.

tumblr_inline_p92bdbkkua1qafrh6_400.gifv

Everything after FFX (aside from FF7R) is trash. Hopefully FF16 redeems the mainline franchise.

Also, FF4 will always be better than FF6.

FF4 is perhaps the most vanilla of the post 8-bit games. It has the opposite problem of 7/8: almost no customization.

The preference that some older gamers have for 6 over 7 is sometimes due to hating the more popular thing because it's more popular.

Kind of like saying Metallica diehards consider the Black Album inferior to their 80s output because "they sold out". There may be a grain of truth, but it doesn't mean there were other reasons.

Everything before 6 feels unremarkable and not needed to play now
  • I am planning on grabbing the Steam Versions on the next big sale to prove that statement as well
  • XIII and XV are better games than IX and XII
  • XI is awful, was then, still is
  • This has changed now but XiV was very bloated and just fetch quest after fetch quest, the Streamlining they did to ARR and HW was a blessing I couldn't take advantage of

V eats damn near everything else in the series for lunch.

I won't go as far as to say it's shit.

But it is definitely a very boring and mostly uninteresting game. They padded the SHIIIIIIT out of it. Multiple 15 minute long monkey-bar segments, dozens of slow crawls, dragging on the tiniest of things to half hours just to fill up the game time to make it seem like a full game.

-

My 'controversial' opinions.

- FF9 is the best PS1 era entry.
- FF15 gets a bad rep, it's actually very good.
- FF6 is over rated, FF4 (and even 5) are better games.

4 IMO is the overrated one. Gets a pass due to nostalgia/being first post 8-bit. (Loved it the most for awhile before moving on.)

5 gets dumped or overlooked too often for being too story-lite. Some of the critics don't seem to care for good mechanics.

Last edited:

Lethal01

FF7 Remake is better than the original, as well as every other game in the franchise.
The battle system should be the base that every other game is built off.

Also they should ditch the realistic art and go for something more stylized like FF9 and FF12.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The next mainline entry should just go ahead and revert to Final Fantasy Tactics (...Advance) combat, because that's probably the only genuinely engrossing and strategic battle gameplay they've ever given us.

Don't only bring back the turn-based battles, bring back a grid too. Then I'm in.

While we're at it, go ahead and learn from classic AD&D by making the selection of combat moves be prior to learning which order things will play out (initiative after everyone declares actions) so that the strategy has a very high risk/reward cycle, where choosing to use magic will be canceled if the other side gets in a hit on your caster first.

bobone

I liked 13 a lot.
I LOVED 13-2, its my 3rd favorite FF game. And I've played every main game except 11.

I never understood all the hate for the 13 games. They are super linear, extremely impressive graphically, fantastic music, ridiculous story, and over the top characters.
Its literally the same formula as 10; but somehow everyone hates it.

Top Bottom