• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Controversial final fantasy opinions?

I liked 13 a lot.
I LOVED 13-2, its my 3rd favorite FF game. And I've played every main game except 11.

I never understood all the hate for the 13 games. They are super linear, extremely impressive graphically, fantastic music, ridiculous story, and over the top characters.
Its literally the same formula as 10; but somehow everyone hates it.
I think there is some truth in the criticisms but at the same time the flaws are blown wayyyyy out of proportion. Despite it's linearity and weak progression system it is still an awesome game with a unique setting, interesting plot, arguably the most fun turn based battle system, timeless visuals and an amazing OST.

And like you said people shit on 13 for linearity but turn a blind eye to 10.

Last edited:
I've said this in another thread, but I truly do feel that FFX has some of the most creative world art and world lore I've ever seen from any FF. While FF6, FF7, and FF8 were pretty unique in terms of style, the world of FFX's Spira truly felt like nothing I've ever seen in any other game before nor after it's release.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You choose if you want to spam auto-battle or not though.

Hell, I found it to be sub-optimal most of the time when I dabbled with it.

It is suboptimal, but arguably not by much. A good turnbased game will have it that you save more time by using strategy and strategically using resources (mana, items) to get through battles. FFXIII isn't like that. You can spam it and at most you spend 2-5 more seconds per battle and maybe 10-40 seconds on bossfights. Hardly much of a reason to use any strategy.

Generic

It is suboptimal, but arguably not by much. A good turnbased game will have it that you save more time by using strategy and strategically using resources (mana, items) to get through battles. FFXIII isn't like that. You can spam it and at most you spend 2-5 more seconds per battle and maybe 10-40 seconds on bossfights. Hardly much of a reason to use any strategy.
But auto battle is just a shortcut so you don't need to manually input the options every time.

sigmaZ

I agree on FFIX apart from the music being mediocre, bland ability system and uninspired villains.
The music is not bad. I think Melodies of Life is one of his best works. I mean the OST as a whole. I just think it's mediocre when compared with previous works. The best comment I've ever found on the internet about the FF9 OST:

XWj9155.png

The music is not bad. I think Melodies of Life is one of his best works. I mean the OST as a whole. I just think it's mediocre when compared with previous works. The best comment I've ever found on the internet about the FF9 OST:

XWj9155.png
9's ost stood out the most to me out of the PS1 trilogy. And I also think 7 and 8 had pretty decent soundtracks in their own right.

FFXI was better than FFXIV.
The music, the world, battle system, job system and plot lines are all way better.

The atmosphere in some of those zones are like nothing else. The ambient sound design, is like no other MMO. The weather system and elemental days and how crafting plays into it. The actual weather effects themselves during blizzards, rain, wind, dust storms, heatwaves, auroras, etc. They actually vary to different degrees too. There will be light rainfall and heavy rainfall, heatwaves and heavy heatwaves, snow and full on blizzards. This is all reflected by actual weather effects and it all happens dynamically. I can't even think of a single player game that actually does this with so much detail, much less an MMO.

Now that I think about it, FFXI is actually the best FF ever made.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

The series is vastly overrated and I haven't been able to push myself to beat a single one aside from tactics and tactics advance.

Im weirdly hyped for 16 so hopefully that will be the outlier.

Vblad88

FF VI's first few hours are too forgiving to the player up to the point I stop playing it, because of the boredom. Never dug into FF > 6 ever again. Somehow later parts balanced it all better.

nkarafo

Neither me or any of my friends ever liked Final Fantasy.

We live in Europe and Jrpgs was not a thing in my country. But the hype of FFVII was just as huge here and everyone who had a PlayStation had to have this game.

When we finally got to play it we were all like "WTF is this shit"?

The random turn based battles was an unknown concept for us and i don't remember anyone liking it. Personally, i still find the random part one of the worst game designs ever. I remember thinking "wait, are all Jrpgs like that?" and "i thought Jrpgs is this exotic genre from Japan that everyone is crazy about, how is this possible?". Yeah, i found the design ridiculous and couldn't believe people actually like it.

This disappointment, after all that endless hype and Sony's marketing, left a bad taste in our mouths and we never recovered. The magazine reviews and marketing told us this is the best, most epic game ever made. But all it did was to make us hate Jrpgs, lol.

I'm not a fan of the anime aesthetics in games either, just give me a good western RPG.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I've said this in another thread, but I truly do feel that FFX has some of the most creative world art and world lore I've ever seen from any FF. While FF6, FF7, and FF8 were pretty unique in terms of style, the world of FFX's Spira truly felt like nothing I've ever seen in any other game before nor after it's release.
Spira being ruled by dead people was as much a window on current times as that Colonel speech from MGS2.

But FFX really put me off with how flamboyant everything looks. I think that without Nomura’s characters I would have appreciated the game a lot better. The solemn vibe of the story is just at odds with how the characters look and speak.

Fuz

Banned
Everything after FFX (aside from FF7R) is trash. Hopefully FF16 redeems the mainline franchise.

Also, FF4 will always be better than FF6.
7R is worse than trash. 7R is stinky radioactive sludge that gets dumped right in your nice garden, right on the top of the orchids.

Final Fantasy 13 is actually quite good and deserves a remaster at 60fps. I think a more controversial opinion is that the art style for most Final Fantasy games is garish and over the top. Most characters look borderline bad. I am looking forward to 16 which looks more grounded.

lyan

If the game has "remake" in it's title then it should be a remake not a sequel.

It's like if you order a meat feast from dominos and you get pineapple pizza instead. Fans have every reason to be pissed and the title setting false expectations makes the game objectively worse.
It's actually interesting that the vast majority of actual remakes don't put the word "remake" in its title.

Final Fantasy is no longer the premiere JRPG franchise. Trails has absolutely taken that crown. FF16 is the last chance this franchise has to reclaim relevance to real JRPG fans and not be relegated to fujos and cultural trend followers who dance around advertising groomer erochat groups in Limsa on FF14.

Come at me, I know I'm objectively right.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Each mainline FF game was better than the one that came before it.

FFXV is not only the best FF game ever made, but it's also one of the best RPG games period.

sigmaZ

Final Fantasy is no longer the premiere JRPG franchise. Trails has absolutely taken that crown. FF16 is the last chance this franchise has to reclaim relevance to real JRPG fans and not be relegated to fujos and cultural trend followers who dance around advertising groomer erochat groups in Limsa on FF14.

Come at me, I know I'm objectively right.
Trails sucks garbage. How's that for objectivity.
Spin Around Sounders Fc GIF by Seattle Sounders

I agree with this. The only thing is that the game opens up its battle system too slowly. It’s still fun IMO but once you’re in the later chapters it’s just amazing

But also, I don’t use auto-battle.
I found that it was already pretty fun in the early game thanks to the stagger mechanic and then really came into it's own mid-game when you could freaking launch staggered enemies and have your party juggle them like it's devil may cry.

Yes by much if you know what you're doing.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If two or more characters are able to perform an action simultaneously, that's not turn-based. If characters are unable to act while another character is performing an action, then that means there is a turn. This is a very basic concept. What do you think constitutes a "turn"?

T Teslerum , I am still waiting for you to respond to this message. Defend your position with facts and/or logic instead of responding with laughing emojis and your feelings, and then ignoring me.

Teslerum

T Teslerum , I am still waiting for you to respond to this message. Defend your position with facts and/or logic instead of responding with laughing emojis and your feelings, and then ignoring me.
I already did in previous posts. The information is there. Accept it or not, not my problem.

If you're that insecure I can't help you.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I already did in previous posts. The information is there.

If you're that insecure I can't help you.

You never stated what turn-based is. You only laughed and said you disagree with me.

Again, what do you think turn-based means? How did I "basically just turn-basified a shitload of action-rpgs" by saying that two or more characters being able to act simultaneously means a game is not turn-based, and when characters are unable to act simultaneously this signifies that a game is turn-based? What ARPGs do you think my definition applies to? You haven't countered any of my points. You've shrugged them off and just said that I'm wrong.

Last edited:

GMCamaro

Nostalgia has an absolute hold over how highly the earlier entries are favored. I have to count myself in that category; I remember Figaro castle being much more grand.

Also FF15 was great.

Elysion

Banned
I think FF should’ve gone with pre-rendered backgrounds for at least one more generation. People often bring up the „HD towns are hard“ meme, but Square already had trouble realizing 3d cities back on PS2. Going with fully modeled real-time 3d environments is probably one of the reasons why FF10 is so linear, and why it has so few towns and cities to visit. Think about it, FF10 has only 4 real towns and cities we can actually explore (Besaid, Kilika, Luca, Guadosalam), which is less than half of the number of towns and cities that FF7, 8 or 9 each had. It‘s especially noticeable with Bevelle, the quasi capital of Spira. We go there to crash Yuna‘s wedding to Seymor, but we never actually get to see and explore the city itself. We also never see the home village of Khimari‘s people, for example. As much as I love FF10 for its incredible world design, lore, and divine soundtrack, even back then I felt a bit disappointed by how limited the game was in other ways compared to its predecessors.

It seems to me with pre-rendered backgrounds it would‘ve been much more feasible to include a bunch more locations in the game without exploding the budget or needing to delay the game. The latter is what happened to FF12, which was in development for around five years, which was very unusual for a PS2 game. Unlike FF10, 12 actually did have an acceptable number of towns and cities that we visit (though still not quite as many as in older FFs), but I can‘t help but think that that contributed to its long development time. I also think FF12‘s cities are too large for their own good, and that it would’ve been preferable if they‘d done more - but smaller - towns instead of these overly large cities that we got, which eventually overstayed their welcome due to how much time we spent in them (especially Rabanastre).

But my really controversial opinion is this: Nomura‘s character designs, as tacky as they can sometimes be, are nonetheless vastly preferable to the character designs in 99% of other jrpgs, either because those other designs are too ludicrous to take seriously, or because they‘re too boring. The latter is even true for FF characters not made by Normura. The character designs in FF16 for example are utterly unremarkable. There‘s not a single character we‘ve seen so far that stands out in any way, they‘re all just very boring to look at imo. What Nomura needs is someone to tone down the jpop hairstyles he likes to give his characters, otherwise his designs are almost always iconic.

flying_sq

I'm of two minds on them. On one hand, they might be great, long arching stories with fun gameplay, that ended up defining most JRPG staples to this day, causing them to seem cliche and generic over time.

Or on the other hand, they have always been generic cookie cutter games that are always just on the right side of jank and stories meant for 15 year old girls and the 15 year old boys who wish they could date them.

Top Bottom