• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop gives boots to homeless man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Banned
GAF and cops is like fire and gasoline, nice of this cop to do that for the homeless guy though.

Not every cop is racist and out to get blacks .... some are racist and definitely fuck with minorities (black even a minority anymore?) , everyone is an individual you can't just say the entire NYPD is like this. Then again I don't live in NY maybe they are lol ...

I try and give everyone benefit of the doubt, but you guys in NY would know better I suppose.

Nice that he gave him a pair of boots

Then most likely handed him a ticket for vagrancy, public urination, and public intoxication

I hate this garbage around the holidays

YoungHav

Banned
GAF and cops is like fire and gasoline, nice of this cop to do that for the homeless guy though.

Not every cop is racist and out to get blacks .... some are racist and definitely fuck with minorities (black even a minority anymore?) , everyone is an individual you can't just say the entire NYPD is like this. Then again I don't live in NY maybe they are lol ...

I try and give everyone benefit of the doubt, but you guys in NY would know better I suppose.
No one here says ALL cops individually are racist. Though some cops may be racist the problem is the institution is racist (and 'classist') in practice and enforcement. While major police violations make the news, like an unarmed black person getting shot, a lot of shit goes down daily that no one hears about. Homeless people are easy targets, they can't afford attorneys and have no tangible political power.

Slappers Only

"There once was a poor man who walked around without shoes. His feet were covered in calluses. One day a rich man felt sorry for the poor man and bought him a pair of Nikes. The poor man was extremely grateful and wore the shoes constantly.

Well, after a year or so, the shoes fell apart. So the poor man had to go back to running around barefoot, only now all his calluses were gone and his feet got all cut up and soon the cuts became infected and the man got sick and eventually, after they cut off his legs, he died."

I see i am the first one to say there is another thread of this, and i just saw it bumped to this page as well!

Party is over folks, go home.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501967

Threads merged.

Clicked Raiden's link before you merged them.

Had a total mindfuck as I was like "wait, I read the original thread yesterday... and now I'm seeing the posts from the new thread in here, wtf?"

Dammit mods, stop messing with mah brainz.

.GqueB.

Banned
Wow what a blatant missed opportunity for the subject:

"Cop gives homeless man the boot."

Then we read the OP and have our minds blown.

Prez

I've given out socks to homeless people, they love them. They're one of the things that go the fastest when you're giving out clothes or food or something

Yes, for their feet. I think a homeless person would rather put their hands in their pockets than wear socks on their hands.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm inspired to do the same thing. If I was still working downtown where I saw and frequently shared my lunch with them I would.

Riggs

Banned
No one here says ALL cops individually are racist. Though some cops may be racist the problem is the institution is racist (and 'classist') in practice and enforcement. While major police violations make the news, like an unarmed black person getting shot, a lot of shit goes down daily that no one hears about. Homeless people are easy targets, they can't afford attorneys and have no tangible political power.

Nah totally agreed. A lot of gaffers seem to hate cops though, I guess a lot of folks do anyway.

Prez

I think you'd be wrong. I've had people tell me themselves that they're useful for their hands too.

Okay then, but gloves are much better and it's not like they're that much more expensive than socks.

I'm sure everyone has some old gloves lying around. Why not gather those and hand them out?

Parch

The sad reality will be if the guy tries to return the shoes to the store without a reciept.
I used to volunteer at a soup kitchen and the only way to help some of the homeless was to feed them. Give them any clothes or money and they try to find the quickest route to get booze. Not all, but at least 40%.
They didn't want a job or shelter, it makes it really hard to aid them.
Unfortunately this is too real. I've done some food bank volunteer work and they'd go down the street to sell their bag of groceries in front of the grocery store to get money for booze. And it's disappointing to see people waiting for them in their car so they can get a bargain on groceries.

Aid workers have to set up programs that actually help instead of provide another scam opportunity. And despite all the good intentions, it's probably never a good idea to give money to individuals. Donating to soup kitchens is the best route.

YoungHav

Banned
I gave a homeless dude a double cheeseburger once (McD's was closing and giving shit away) ... he chucked that shit across the street under a car lmao.

How far is this going to go? Will TLC give this officer a reality show?

Guevara

Mr. Hillman, 54, was by turns aggrieved, grateful and taken aback by all the attention that had come his way — even as he struggled to figure out what to do about it.

“I was put on YouTube, I was put on everything without permission. What do I get?” he said. “This went around the world, and I want a piece of the pie.”​

Yeah as nice as this gift was, occasional handouts won't help the homeless. They need long term counseling, housing, and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom