• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core i9 processors apparently coming very soon

jobrro

Their naming since the introduction of i3/i5/i7 is so confusing to me.

Wait, do i3 even exist anymore ? Haven't heard about those in a while

They exist but even the Pentiums have 2 cores 4 threads these days. Not much in it between a Pentium and an i3 on Kaby.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Excellent, I was waiting for Cannon Lake 6-core i7 at $300-400 but I might jump on this if the performance is worth it.

Henrar

This is why it is very important AMD puts pressure on Intel. They have been holding back on these high-core chips, but AMD demonstrated demand for them.
Not really. HEDTs based on Skylake were coming this year regardless of AMD. Same goes for Skylake Xeons which HEDT CPUs are based on.

R1CHO

Their naming since the introduction of i3/i5/i7 is so confusing to me.

Wait, do i3 even exist anymore ? Haven't heard about those in a while

They do, and they are pointless on desktop imo.

g4560 Pentium is the good one on the lower end.

kiyomi

Yeah probably not right now, but when second and third gen start coming through and devs start designing around these things...

People said this for years about 8-threaded CPUs, yet the real world gaming performance margins to 4C/4T models were minimal. It's only very recently we've started to see a shift, and even then, a fast 4C/4T CPU still does the job extremely well in most games.

Hux1ey

Banned
Meh, I bought he 1600x and that was a awesome upgrade. I bet that 6 core will cost a fortune (more than the 7700k)

Ryzen doesn't impress me, It's great AMD are back as competition is great but I've always gotten much more out of Intel processors.

Plus I would hope Intel would lower the prices a bit due to Ryzen.

Xyphie

So these are going to be really expensive like those X99 boards?

Based on the SKU names it's reasonable to assume they'll slot in at the same prices as the equivalent Broadwell-E processors (except you get an extra 2 cores in each tier above 6 core) which would mean:

Core i9-7920X ~$1700
Core i9-7900X ~$1000
Core i9-7820X ~$600
Core i9-7800X ~$400

bee

definitely gonna be upgrading my 3570k to a skylake-x, 7800x or 7820x by the looks of those charts

RenditMan

Banned
Amd releases a competitive cpu and then intel magically releases multi core CPUs instead of the same slightly upclocked quad core dross.

Fancy that.

Based on the SKU names it's reasonable to assume they'll slot in at the same prices as the equivalent Broadwell-E processors (except you get an extra 2 cores in each tier above 6 core) which would mean:

Core i9-7920X ~$1700
Core i9-7900X ~$1000
Core i9-7820X ~$600
Core i9-7800X ~$400

Doubt it. The 12-core at least is going to have a premium price. Or 'Intel premium' which in this case close to a couple thousand dollars.

Arex

the 8 cores 7820k is probably gonna cost $600-800 right? Just announce them already so I can get the 1700 lol

PSlayer

It feels like we've been at 3.5-4.5 ghz processors for 10 years now...

And we probably gonna continue on this range.The reason why intel migrated to multicore after pentium 4 was because there is a clock ceiling that they can't pass without heating too much. It's way more likely they will keep adding cores with lowers clocks and hope devs improve their pipelines for multicore than pushing a 5-6 ghz clock range.

tuxfool

Banned
Well Turbo 2.0 hits 4.3. So hopefully he shouldn't be hard to clock it a little higher.

Best of luck with that. Have you seen the TDPs for those processors?

Base clocks below 4ghz? Is that supposed to be impressive in 2017?

These are 6,8,10,12 core machines.

Even at those clocks they'll be faster than a 4 core machine at +4Ghz.

(never mind the fact that they boost pretty well too)

About damn time. All it took was a good CPU from AMD and now Intel is innovating. Let's just hope the prices are reasonable, but I will wait and see. Regardless, it's a good time to be a PC builder when competition is great.

Bluth54

About damn time. All it took was a good CPU from AMD and now Intel is innovating. Let's just hope the prices are reasonable, but I will wait and see. Regardless, it's a good time to be a PC builder when competition is great.

Yeah I'm planning on building a new PC either late this year or early next year and I'm very happy with AMD bringing some serious competition to the CPU market.

Kayant

One thing good about this platform is at that people can come in low and have a upgrade path for >4c later without having to buy a new motherboard unlike before.

kmfdmpig

Am I missing something or is the 7740k not that compelling on paper?

It's TDP is quite a bit higher than the 7700k and there is not much benefit otherwise. Are these expected to be much faster aside from the clocks or is the 7740 really just a minor refresh of the 7700k while the other chips with more cores are the main focus here?

rrs

Am I missing something or is the 7740k not that compelling on paper?

It's TDP is quite a bit higher than the 7700k and there is not much benefit otherwise. Are these expected to be much faster aside from the clocks or is the 7740 really just a minor refresh of the 7700k while the other chips with more cores are the main focus here?
it's a 7700k for the high end motherboards with a higher TDP cap

What's up with the L3 Cache on the 6+ core processors?
Six cores going back to CPUs such as the i7 3930k have had 12MB L3 Cache. 8.25MB L3 Cache for a Six core seems kinda low. Are they going to have some kind of L4 Cache?

Renekton

I don't understand the responses in this thread at all.

Intel is doing a lazy rename (i7->i9) and giving HEDT a mindblowing 4C4T part... "zomg Intel threw down the gauntlet, how will AMD respond"

Top Bottom