• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core i9 processors apparently coming very soon

elelunicy

So according to the article the 8-core 7820X only has 28 pci-e lanes, and for more lanes you must get the 10-core 7900X? Lol. For the current Broadwell-E lineup even the 6-core 6850K has 40 lanes.

Oxn

I don't understand the responses in this thread at all.

Intel is doing a lazy rename (i7->i9) and giving HEDT a mindblowing 4C4T part... "zomg Intel threw down the gauntlet, how will AMD respond"

Exactly its like im in lalaland right now.

tuxfool

Banned
They will be on the X299 HEDT platform, but these quad's are kinda like how Intel makes quad core Xeon-E5's.

Why would somebody on an expensive platform like X299 buy a cheap processor like those?

This isn't like servers.

This 7740K looks neat. For me Base Clock > Number Of Cores.
Hopefully price is right.

These are on a X299 platform, not the cheaper z270 platforms.

That is if X299 doesn't end up cheaper, but then the z270 based motherboards would have to become cheaper in turn.

Locuza

What's up with the L3 Cache on the 6+ core processors? Six cores going back to CPUs such as the i7 3930k have had 12MB L3 Cache, 8.25MB L3 Cache for a Six core seems kinda low. Are they going to have some kind of L4 Cache?
No, but Skylake-X modies the cache hierarchy.
Since at least Sandy-Bridge Intel uses a inclusive cache design where all data content per core from the L1I/D$ (32+32KB) and L2$ (256KB) is stored in the L3$ (1536/2048/2560KB).
This effectivly reduces the cache capacity of the L3$ but enables robust data integrity across all cores.

But Skylake-X will switch to an exklusive L3$ design.
The L2$ size will grow from 256KB to 1024KB and the L3$ size will be reduced to 1,375MB per core.
If the cache design would be still inclusive there would be bascially nothing left from the L3$.

AMD also uses an exclusive L3$ design with Zen:
64KB L1I$ + 32KB L1D$, 512 KB L2$ and 1024KB exclusive L3$ per core.

DonMigs85

Since at least Sandy-Bridge Intel uses a inclusive cache design where all data content per core from the L1I/D$ (32+32KB) and L2$ (256KB) is stored in the L3$ (1536/2048/2560KB).
This effectivly reduces the cache capacity of the L3$ but enables robust data integrity across all cores.

The L2$ size will grow from 256KB to 1024KB and the L3$ size will be reduced to 1,375MB per core.
If the cache design would be still inclusive there would be bascially nothing left from the L3$.

Isn't Ryzen's L3 a victim cache?

turmoil

Banned
So far only the i7e to i9 rebrand is known? If AMD prices that rumored threadripper(16c/32t) platform competitively and Intel doesn't react price-wise they will be hurt(at least until theirs 10nm is ready)

I think their strategy is to maintain the price tag the same at the cost of lost sales to Ryzen until they have process advantage again.

Renekton

So far only the i7e to i9 rebrand is known? If AMD prices that rumored threadripper(16c/32t) platform competitively and Intel doesn't react price-wise they will be hurt(at least until theirs 10nm is ready)

I think their strategy is to maintain the price tag the same at the cost of lost sales to Ryzen until they have process advantage again.
To be fair, it is a good strategy.

The single-core advantage alone will tide them over until 10nm gets into gear.

theclaw135

Banned
HEY! That PS/2 port is for my collection of old ass mechanical keyboard collection I made out with from Goodwill!

For sure. If you're in the 0.infinitesimal hardcore gamers with a daily use for a PS/2 port, COM port, LPT port, TPM port, or iGPU, here's a brownie point.

I didn't expect to see intel respond to Ryzen this quickly. Does this mean that i7's will drop in price? Or will i9's be a higher price tier?

turmoil

Banned
To be fair, it is a good strategy.

The single-core advantage alone will tide them over until 10nm gets into gear.

Yes, I've been thinking for a while that with their diversification efforts(nervana, mobileye) and ongoing restructuration, they can't just shrink their revenue streams right now, and so they will rely only on IPC and clocks, and risk resigning some money to amd.

People expecting Intel to lower prices will be disappointed if this is the case, though.

elyetis

I hope the comparison in performance with the 7700k will be at least a close call, I really want to upgrade from my 2500k, but one of the reason I want that upgrade is emulation ( Cemu & Dolphin... ), so single core perf is important.

DonMigs85

I hope the comparison in performance with the 7700k will be at least a close call, I really want to upgrade from my 2500k, but one of the reason I want that upgrade is emulation ( Cemu & Dolphin... ), so single core perf is important.
Probably best to wait for Cannon Lake or even Ice Lake since those are the ones rumored to have a big IPC uplift.

nubbe

So according to the article the 8-core 7820X only has 28 pci-e lanes, and for more lanes you must get the 10-core 7900X? Lol. For the current Broadwell-E lineup even the 6-core 6850K has 40 lanes.

the lineup looks bad overall
Hope AMD can pick up the slack

DieH@rd

Banned
What is the weight of the average Intel i7 CPU? I ask because I'm interested is it cheaper to buy equivalent weight of 24 carat gold. :D

Caayn

If I remember correctly the i9 series was originally planned to be the name for the extreme editions in the i series, the 990x, 4930, 58xx, etc i7 CPUs.

------

Shame that they're now reducing the HEDT platform by bringing low core/thread, dual channel memory and low PCIe lanes CPUs onto it. And convoluting the naming with these plans.

Hmm that's interesting, thanks!

Smokey

Intel scummy for saving all PCIE lanes for the 10 core at minimum, which will most likely be $1,000.

I'm still anxious for these to drop, my 4930k/X79 needs to retire.

low-G

i just upgraded to a i5 Skylake... :(

Considering there are already >4 core CPUs out and their price & performance, you're not in the worst situation.

It will be pretty obvious when it's time to get a >4 core CPU in terms of game performance. Just maybe don't expect 5+ years of optimal performance out of your Skylake...

rrs

so that's how intel is going to save the boutique Xeon line, by holding SLI and PCIE SSDs hostage to a $1000 CPU that might or might not be slower at 4-6 core usage than the cheaper models

The list above shows they couldn't care less haha.

"Boss AMD just released a 8C16T to challenge our HEDTs"

"Yawn, then give our customers a 4C4T that needs a X299 motherboard"

7740K is such a lame duck of a chip with the upcoming 8700K with 6C/12T on a cheaper platform.

What's up with the L3 Cache on the 6+ core processors?
Six cores going back to CPUs such as the i7 3930k have had 12MB L3 Cache. 8.25MB L3 Cache for a Six core seems kinda low. Are they going to have some kind of L4 Cache?

If I remember correctly the i9 series was originally planned to be the name for the extreme editions in the i series, the 990x, 4930, 58xx, etc i7 CPUs.

------

Shame that they're now reducing the HEDT platform by bringing low core/thread, dual channel memory and low PCIe lanes CPUs onto it. And convoluting the naming with these plans.

Kaby Lake-X (i7-7640K, 7740K) had already been on the roadmap alongside Skylake-X, evidently as entry-level enthusiast (lol) chips for anyone later wanting to upgrade to higher-end chips on the X299 platform.

It just happened to come right before the mainstream debut of 6 cores with Coffee Lake, and was originally scheduled for later in the year until AMD forced their hand with Ryzen.

Excellent, I was waiting for Cannon Lake 6-core i7 at $300-400 but I might jump on this if the performance is worth it.

You must mean Coffee Lake (14nm++). Cannon Lake (10nm) is being limited to low power chips for tablets (4.5/6 W Y) and ultrabooks (15 W U), with 2 cores.

Coffee Lake might be ready by August, which is close enough.

Henrar

So, according to VideoCardz, the i9 7920X will not be the highest end i9 to be released by Intel.

They are planning 14, 16 and even 18 core CPUs (7980XE) for that line.

Renekton

From Videocardz. Well I eat my words, that's a pretty wide lineup from Intel.

3IwU0Hg.jpg

One interesting rumor from Anandtech forums is that you must have a new motherboard Z370 for Coffee Lake.

AmyS

In today's PC games, isn't a high clocked (4.5+ GHz) 4c/8t Intel processor more preferable to a lower clocked 8c/16t one ?

Renekton

In today's PC games, isn't a high clocked (4.5+ GHz) 4c/8t Intel processor more preferable to a lower clocked 8c/16t one ?
Based on the new chart, it seems Turbo Boost 3.0 allows the 8c and 10c parts to hit quite high clocks.

Having said that, 7740K got you covered lol.

Avtomat

Are all the X series processors going to be for X299 mobo's only?

Hopefully the prices of the mobos aren't ridiculous.

TSM

I've been having issue where my X99 board loses track of 2 of my DIMMs.
Seems like a good time to upgrade and pass my 5820k on to my kids.

Wtf 18 cores, that's crazy.

It must be just a coincidence that it has two more cores than AMD's thread ripper. Intel seems to be feeling the pressure now that AMD is somewhat competitive again. It'll be interesting to see if Intel suddenly finds a greater than 10% IPC improvement with the next CPU cycle.

laxu

For most games sure but when you are 4+ GHz there doesn't seem to be that much gain from upping the clock speeds. Games are being limited by consoles as they have about half the clock speed.

I think you might see benefits from 8 cores in CPU heavy games that scale well with more cores. Console ports might also benefit since PS4 for example is technically 8 core. That said, we probably have to wait a few years before having tons of cores is actually useful in games. It has taken years for Hyperthreading to be anything but something that results in less or equal performance.

Intel being Intel, I expect the over 4 core models to be hideously expensive unless AMD manages to pressure them enough.

Looks like they're just bringing the high end Xeons to HEDT to compete against Threadripper. I'm sure Intel is hating what this will do to their margins.

One interesting rumor from Anandtech forums is that you must have a new motherboard Z370 for Coffee Lake.

At this rate I'll be amazed when a new Intel CPU doesn't require a new motherboard :/

I'm so glad CPUs are finally going somewhere again though! Thank you for the competition, Ryzen! Still waiting on an 8 core 16 thread CPU at 4ghz+. Whichever team gets there first, I'm on board. Until then, my 2600k is holding on
barely

Top Bottom