• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core i9 processors apparently coming very soon

llien

I don't see why any gamer would buy that, even ignoring the likely prohibitive price, 7700 beats Ryzen 1800x in most games mostly because most games do not use that many threads.

Most likely pressure from AMD.

Yes, 8 core Ryzens already looked pretty good vs 8/10 core Broadwells (beating it at many tasks for half the price) and then 16 core 32 therad Threadripper was announced.

Datschge

Things to watch for in Intel lineup in the coming months/years:
- Core count: It's great if Intel matches and exceeds AMD's offerings. But unlike AMD's Zen cores scaling upward through MCM packages Intel so far custom made many of the bigger core designs, taking more time to apply a given generation across all of their lineup. So the crucial part is how long it takes for Intel to offer higher core counts with their latest design.
- Market segmentation: AMD decided to go all out on unlocking everything about the Zen chips so things like amount of PCIe lanes are not arbitrarily changed between different core counts. Intel for now appears to want to stick to that segmentation practice, moving the top amount of lanes to the higher core counts. Will they (be able to) keep doing that?
- Pricing: Aside of their newfound competitive performance AMD's aggressive pricing is also a worry for Intel which heavily relies on huge margins they enjoyed so far. As such it's very unlikely Intel will be matching AMD's pricing. But keeping that and adding chip with higher core counts to the desktop/HEDT lineup will heavily increase the upper price limit of their mainstream offerings. Will Intel adapt the prices so the top end is not as pricey, or will they just not care about being considered very costly?
- Future proofing: AMD currently pushes their (mainstream) AM4 and (server/HEDT) SP3/r2 sockets as being prepared for the next couple generations. Intel traditionally didn't care about regularly replacing sockets between generations and different market segments. Will the added competition make Intel rethink their approach?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Still have my launch 3770k, works fantastically.

Feels like forever since I upgraded. Would love a reason to.

dex3108

I've been having issue where my X99 board loses track of 2 of my DIMMs.
Seems like a good time to upgrade and pass my 5820k on to my kids.

It must be just a coincidence that it has two more cores than AMD's thread ripper. Intel seems to be feeling the pressure now that AMD is somewhat competitive again. It'll be interesting to see if Intel suddenly finds a greater than 10% IPC improvement with the next CPU cycle.

Intel had everything ready probably they just needed bigger move from AMD to go forward.

dr_rus

- Core count: It's great if Intel matches and exceeds AMD's offerings. But unlike AMD's Zen cores scaling upward through MCM packages Intel so far custom made many of the bigger core designs, taking more time to apply a given generation across all of their lineup. So the crucial part is how long it takes for Intel to offer higher core counts with their latest design.

Skylake EP is a 32 cores die.

Arex

Hope we know the pricing and availability soon. My laptop's gpu just died and I don't know how long I can hold :(

Right now going R7 1700 seems to be the best option for work+gaming, but it'd be better if I get to compare with the new i9.

Banned
This seems nuts. I've been on i7's since 2009 and I'm just seeing hyperthreading and multiple threads being taken advantage of only since the gen started.

StereoVsn

Didn't know it will be available as HEDT chip. Also where is the newer Kaby Lake version of both of those?
New Xeon chips are coming in July - August time frame from my understanding. I don't think it will be Kaby Lake though.

It's clear that Intel has the know-how and manufacturing experience to make higher count chips from their server efforts. The question was always of need and competition in more consumer oriented markets. Now that Zen is here we will see greater effort from Intel.

wildfire

Banned
I hope that these first iterations of i9s being Skylake-X means that I'm not required to use Windows 10 to use them.

https://videocardz.com/press-release/asrock-announces-x299-and-am4-mini-itx-motherboards

Seems like ASRock decided that might as well put out actual PR. X299 is now a thing.

ASROCK-Computex-X299-2.jpg

Never seen a motherboard with more than 8 slots before, let alone 13. I'm curious as to how this will help miners.

Datschge

New Xeon chips are coming in July - August time frame from my understanding. I don't think it will be Kaby Lake though.

It's clear that Intel has the know-how and manufacturing experience to make higher count chips from their server efforts. The question was always of need and competition in more consumer oriented markets. Now that Zen is here we will see greater effort from Intel.
I was snarky since dr_rus didn't bother to read the quote beyond the first sentence.

Intel has a huge issue scaling their respective current design across all their lineup in a timely fashion. Of course up to this year they didn't need to, the resulting market segmentation even worked in their favor. But now the big difference is between Intel's and AMD's approach to scaling. Intel is essentially custom designing a die for different core configurations, starting with the lowest common denominator that is also used in mainstream, then slowing working from the top offerings. AMD just did a single die so far and put it into different configurations which significantly sped up their time to different markets at way lower R&D cost. Once AMD improves the design those can be applied similarly quickly across their whole lineup.

Of course Intel can and will increase its efforts. But their modus operandi so far doesn't seem to be prepared for AMD disruptive approach.

Caayn

How big of a factor are the PCIe lanes for gaming? I wouldn't mind getting a i9-7820x.
More PCIe lanes are only interesting for SLI and CrossFire from a gaming perspective. With 28 lanes the GPUs will need to share the lanes and will most likely both run with 8 lanes enabled per GPU (x8/x8) or with one GPU having the full 16 lanes while the other has 8 lanes (x16/x8). If you've got 44 lanes then both GPUs can use the full 16 lanes provided by a 16x PCIe slot (x16/x16).

Depending on the game x16/x16 can increase the performance over x16/x8 and x8/x8.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1616578/...00k-4-8-w-titan-xp-sli-benchmarks-and-results

dr_rus

Didn't know it will be available as HEDT chip. Also where is the newer Kaby Lake version of both of those?

It's completely up to Intel to decide what is available as what. They have a 32 cores chip and just because of that you can bet that they have all the possible chips between 32 and 2 as well. So what you said about them needing time to make chips with more cores makes no sense at all.

And yeah, Skylake is a year old design so you should really start counting the time needed from 1Q16.

Durante

Honestly, I find the disruption caused by AMD in the HEDT CPU segment (and I think it's fair to talk about "disruption" given this step by Intel) far more exciting than the mainstream stuff.

Of course, now the pricing gets really interesting. I don't think we'll see as much movement there as people hope/expect, I believe that AMD wants margin at least as much as they want market share.

On the other hand, a MCM inherently means divergent (and increased) inter-core latency across the chip boundaries. Most schedulers/applications aren't well-equipped to deal with that.

- Future proofing: AMD currently pushes their (mainstream) AM4 and (server/HEDT) SP3/r2 sockets as being prepared for the next couple generations. Intel traditionally didn't care about regularly replacing sockets between generations and different market segments. Will the added competition make Intel rethink their approach?
Honestly, I believe that socket compatibility is a non-issue in the current landscape. Significant platform improvements are at least as common, if not more so, than significant CPU improvements.

Datschge

They have a 32 cores chip and just because of that you can bet that they have all the possible chips between 32 and 2 as well. So what you said about them needing time to make chips with more cores makes no sense at all.
You talking about the 32 core Xeon die as if Intel would ever use that exact die to offer smaller core counts across their whole lineup is hilarious on multiple levels.

On the other hand, a MCM inherently means divergent (and increased) inter-core latency across the chip boundaries. Most schedulers/applications aren't well-equipped to deal with that.
So far inter-CCX latency at lower core counts seems to be the biggest actual issue. At the core counts where MCM applies Infinity Fabric's latency appears to hold up well with those of the ring bus Intel uses.

wildfire

Banned
Honestly, I find the disruption caused by AMD in the HEDT CPU segment (and I think it's fair to talk about "disruption" given this step by Intel) far more exciting than the mainstream stuff.

If the rumors are true and the X series all have 1MB L@ cache per core Intel had already planned to do this a few months before Ryzen rumors surfaced. Intel's renaming their most expensive chips as i9 would be their only reaction to AMD's disruption and that's a minor reaction.

dr_rus

You talking about the 32 core Xeon die as if Intel would ever use that exact die to offer smaller core counts across their whole lineup is hilarious on multiple levels.

No, I'm talking about this 32 core die being the obvious top of Skylake lineup which means that there will be quite a bit of dies between the currently available 4 and this 32. The only question here is which of them Intel will decide to move from Xeon lineup (for which they are being developed) to the new HEDT platform, and it's not a question of time, it's a question of market needs. Your time point makes zero sense.

Datschge

No, I'm talking about this 32 core die being the obvious top of Skylake lineup which means that there will be quite a bit of dies between the currently available 4 and this 32. The only question here is which of them Intel will decide to move from Xeon lineup (for which they are being developed) to the new HEDT platform, and it's not a question of time, it's a question of market needs. Your time point makes zero sense.
Why do you keep using a year old design to try to rebut a point as if that one year old design didn't need any time to get to the current state? It's a fact that all those different dies take longer to roll out than rolling out a single die across many configurations. The fact that that work is already done for Skylake helps Kaby Lake and any upcoming improved design exactly zilch.

How big of a factor are the PCIe lanes for gaming? I wouldn't mind getting a i9-7820x.

considering that nvidia doesn't want you to SLI more than 2 cards, now less of a factor.

https://videocardz.com/press-release/asrock-announces-x299-and-am4-mini-itx-motherboards

Seems like ASRock decided that might as well put out actual PR. X299 is now a thing.

hehe these are a bit wild. Man was Broadwell-E boring compared to this or its predecessor.

Durante

So far inter-CCX latency at lower core counts seems to be the biggest actual issue. At the core counts where MCM applies Infinity Fabric's latency appears to hold up well with those of the ring bus Intel uses.
I'd wait for latency benchmark results on Ryzen MCMs before taking this as granted.
Physical distance is physical distance.

If the rumors are true and the X series all have 1MB L@ cache per core Intel had already planned to do this a few months before Ryzen rumors surfaced. Intel's renaming their most expensive chips as i9 would be their only reaction to AMD's disruption and that's a minor reaction.
I strongly disagree.
Intel would not be releasing 14+ core HEDT products this year if not for AMD.

Heh, I remember specifically wishing there was a way for Intel to skip Broadwell-E altogether and go straight to Skylake-X. Now it's nearly here. The claims of further reduced lanes on the 6- and 8-cores are disappointing if true, but my next upgrades depend on how things unfold between Threadripper R9s and Skylake-X i9s.

Either that or wait for Kaby-X/Canon-X and Ryzen 2.

This looks like a perfect hybrid of ASRock's mini-ITX EPC612D4I, X99E-ITX/ac, and their recent Z170/Z270 SFF boards (plus a similar daughterboard implementation to what Asus and others have used).

ASRock X299E-ITX/ac
http://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?ID=3625

Intel's X299 chipset used to be represented by a bulky EATX or ATX motherboard, because the CPU, chipset, memory and whole layout required an extra-large PCB to contain the extreme performance. ASRock's R&D team has worked very hard to defy logics and build a motherboard with a small size but huge performance, and now we have succeeded in breaking the limitations to fit the whole X299 package onto a mini-ITX form factor PCB, hence the world's first and only mini-ITX X299 motherboard is born!

X299E-ITX/ac is built around an X299 chipset, which unlocks the hidden performance of Intel® LGA 2066 socket CPUs, giving the overall performance a huge boost. Regardless of its tiny size, other points worth mentioning are 4 SO-DIMM memory slots, 10-layer PCB, two Intel® Gigabit LANs, dual band 2.4/5GHz 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.2, and onboard amazing six SATA ports. Furthermore, ASRock is incredibly to make triple M.2 sockets onboard for satisfy insanely fast SSDs.

20170529-4.jpg

This seems nuts. I've been on i7's since 2009 and I'm just seeing hyperthreading and multiple threads being taken advantage of only since the gen started.
I've been on 8-cores for ages and have recently added two more. Even with simple browsing and day-to-day tasks I see 16-thread usage. This includes gaming.

I'm at a loss for why so many people continue to maintain this stance. It doesn't seem inline with the actual processor landscape.

StereoVsn

Reduced lanes on the upcoming I9's mean what exactly in terms of performance?
Nothing if you have a single GPU and no esoteric workstation type needs for separate high speed controllers or network connectivity.

If you want to run more then one GPU then you have reduced number of lanes for the second card and basically not much support for 3+ GPUs.

Durante

Nothing for performance, just classic Intel style market segmentation (those who want/need more lanes need to pay more).
To be fair, that's hardly just "classic Intel style", that's classic electronics style. I'd be hard pressed to think of any significant hardware company in the industry that doesn't do artificial market segmentation when they are in a position to.

·feist·;238454457 said:
I'm at a loss for why so many people continue to maintain this stance. It doesn't seem inline with the actual processor landscape.
Yeah, Intel has been sitting on the i3-i7 range for almost a decade and only added 2 cores every few years to the HEDT platform.

Between the i9 name and jumping straight to a full range up to 18 cores it's pretty damn clear that they have been influenced.

Datschge

To be fair, that's hardly just "classic Intel style", that's classic electronics style. I'd be hard pressed to think of any significant hardware company in the industry that doesn't do artificial market segmentation when they are in a position to.
While completely true, Intel were never ashamed to make the most inane arbitrary feature restriction on relatively lower priced parts. E.g. the fact that AMD's whole datacenter strategy is about upending Intel's dominance there by positioning a single socket platform as an improvement over a widespread dual socket platform where the majority doesn't even use the second socket imo tells it all.

StereoVsn

I think we'll still be way north of 500$, which makes it a no go for me at least. Curious to see how this revised 7740K is, but i don't expect much compared to the 7700K.
If it's north of $500 then Zen it is. Well, unless we are talking $550 vs $600-$700. Intel boards are usually more expensive as well.

It will be certainly interesting to see where prices settle at for both Intel and AMD come late Fall. I suspect there will be very good deals around the Holidays time frame from both vendors. Now we just need the NAND pricing to go down so a 2TB or 4TB SSDs will be reasonably priced.

Top Bottom