• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Court reinstates Tom Brady's 4 Game Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyae

Just got my text from WEEI...

This is gonna get ugly now.

You do realize that deflate gate has nothing to do with the review, correct? This has everything to do with the court saying Goodell can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants and the players association can do nothing about it...

Because the NFLPA signed the CBA that lets him do that

TheFatOne

I'm not sure if they are able to appeal or not, but this could very well lead to a strike before the season by the NFL-PA.

Brady is one of the ambassadors of the league and if Goodell can do what ever he wants to anyone at anytime, the NFL-PA screwed up and will want to fix it.

No one's going on strike over this, but when they renegotiate the new CBA this will be one of the big sticking points.

Cornbread78

Because the NFLPA signed the CBA that lets him do that

I wasn't aware of that. What is a CBA anyway?

No one's going on strike over this, but when they renegotiate the new CBA this will be one of the big sticking points.

It's actually a bigger issue now that they have legal proof Goodell can play God whenever he wants with the league. I think the PA underestimated this part of the CBA and will want it rectified immediately.

They shouldn't though. Ruling basically gives Goodell the power to do whatever the hell he wants in the future regardless of any mistakes or facts they misconstrue. I have no idea why non-Pats fans would be happy about this.
They should because it's a wake up call to the nflpa to get their crap together and fix this in their next labor negotiations. The ruling didn't give that power, the players did.

Some quick notes from Rand Getlin via Twitter:

Cg5q29KUcAEK2zO.jpg:large

Cg5r2YhUcAA-v_I.jpg:large

Cg5sZosUUAASRi9.jpg:large
That says it all really. NLFPA made their bed and they have to sleep in it. Maybe the big ticket superstars like Brady will do something to help their union brothers in the future.

phanphare

Banned
Patriot fans need to stay strong during these times. Do not succumb to the savages.

if it were any team other than the pats NFL fans would be united in sentiment against goodell

but he played on one of the most hated teams in sports as a diversion tactic

this aggression will not stand, man

Silkworm

CBA = collective bargaining agreement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_collective_bargaining_agreement
The National Football League collective bargaining agreement is a labor agreement which reflects the results of collective bargaining negotiations between the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) and National Football League (NFL) team owners. The labor agreement classifies distribution of league revenues, sets health and safety standards and establishes benefits, including pensions and medical benefits, for all players in the NFL.

Also

The 2011 CBA had no opt-out clause and a ten-year term set to expire after the 2020 season.

So, the Jimmy G era indeed for at least 4 more years.

NH Apache

Banned
After the show Jimmy G is gonna put on, opponents will be crying for Brady back.

Or, just give it to the rugby dude every time.

Collective bargaining agreement. The master contract between a union and management. Both sides negotiate then sign, and it has a specific time period where it is in effect. The players and owners agreed goodell would be god emperor in this regard. CbA's are subject to federal law and 100+ years of legal precedent. The court ruled that what goodell did was clearly within the cba and the law governing cba's.

Next time the cba comes up for negotiation, this ruling and goodell's other blunders should help the nflpa negotiate more independent review of discipline.

Tripon

Just got my text from WEEI...

This is gonna get ugly now.

You do realize that deflate gate has nothing to do with the review, correct? This has everything to do with the court saying Goodell can do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants and the players association can do nothing about it...
Yeah, they can. They can bargin for a better position on this area. That they didn't was their fuckup.

PillarEN

I hope that the Patriots go undefeated when the Golden Boy comes back. Look forward to Goodell handing off the Lombardi trophy to Belichick in February

Cornbread78

Collective bargaining agreement. The master contract between a union and management. Both sides negotiate then sign, and it has a specific time period where it is in effect. The players and owners agreed goodell would be god emperor in this regard. CbA's are subject to federal law and 100+ years of legal precedent. The court ruled that what goodell did was clearly within the cba and the law governing cba's.

Next time the cba comes up for negotiation, this ruling and goodell's other blunders should help the nflpa negotiate more independent review of discipline.

Whoa, so many broken sarcasm meters.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gonna laugh when the league decides they don't have to do whatever a Court says.

From the discenting opinion.

"It is ironic that a process designed to ensure fairness to all players has been used unfairly against one player."

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Already put Brady on the same shelf as Lance Armstrong.

Known cheat, in a sport where everybody cheats and everybody knows it with the exception of fans going through the denial phase. Reason he goes on the shelf, is the "how dare you" pointing they both do, which is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

Nobody's denying he's an amazing quarterback. Perhaps the best in the league. Just a terrible person, who wears Uggs. And no bigger or worse a cheat than any other cheat in the league. Just less self-aware. And deliriously vain.

KingBroly

Banned

Known cheat, in a sport where everybody cheats and everybody knows it with the exception of fans going through the denial phase. Reason he goes on the shelf, is the "how dare you" pointing they both do, which is an insult to everyone's intelligence.

Nobody's denying he's an amazing quarterback. Perhaps the best in the league. Just a terrible person, who wears Uggs.

I dunno. Has Tom Brady tried to ruin peoples' lives who came out against him like Armstrong did?

This is bullshit, and I think I speak for our NEOGAF resident legal analyst Bionic77 when I say that he would agree with me if he weren't banned.

Stinkles

I dunno. Has Tom Brady tried to ruin peoples' lives who came out against him like Armstrong did?

He threw a couple of junior staffers under the bus (probably with their assent tho) with regards to the still hilariously bizarre bathroom stop. So nowhere near as evil and on a much smaller scale. Just similar attitudes. Like comparing a Saturn V rocket with an M80. Scale is wrong, but the idea is right.

Uggs though. Not sure that can be forgiven.

TheFatOne

It's actually a bigger issue now that they have legal proof Goodell can play God whenever he wants with the league. I think the PA underestimated this part of the CBA and will want it rectified immediately.

It's nice to want things. They have absolutely zero leverage on this issue. Not going to be changed any time soon.

Malvingt2

Nobody's denying he's an amazing quarterback. Perhaps the best in the league. Just a terrible person, who wears Uggs. And no bigger or worse a cheat than any other cheat in the league. Just less self-aware. And deliriously vain.

Damn... I strongly disagree... no way the same case here.

TheFatOne

LOL

KingBroly

Banned
He threw a couple of junior staffers under the bus (probably with their assent tho) with regards to the still hilariously bizarre bathroom stop. So nowhere near as evil and on a much smaller scale. Just similar attitudes. Like comparing a Saturn V rocket with an M80. Scale is wrong, but the idea is right.

Uggs though. Not sure that can be forgiven.

Well, they kinda tried to screw him, too. And the NFL basically admitted on live TV that they couldn't prove he did it, and suspended him just cuz.

greepoman

It's nice to want things. They have absolutely zero leverage on this issue. Not going to be changed any time soon.

Not only will it not be changed now but it's not even that likely it will change the next CBA. The cold truth is this the discipline issues affect such a low percentage of players it will be one of the first things they "conceed" in order to get something else they want that affects more players. Which is the smart thing to do honestly.

Stinkles

This is justice. For once, the American justice system has not failed its people.

I am proud of my country today.

And with that, gaf's two least biased NFL commentators and legal and air pressure analysts, rest this case once and for all.

My wife works as an elementary school teacher in a state ranked 48th in teacher salary with no foreseeable change incoming. Meanwhile, I have to concern myself with a multi-millionaire and his billionaire wife taking a 4-game suspension to the Supreme Court because it'd hurt his brand.

I hate this fucking country.

cdyhybrid

My wife works as an elementary school teacher in a state ranked 48th in teacher salary with no foreseeable change incoming. Meanwhile, I have to concern myself with a multi-millionaire and his billionaire wife taking a 4-game suspension to the Supreme Court because it'd hurt his brand.

Agreed. Tom Brady and the Pats are a microcosm of everything wrong with 21st century America.

Your wife should have learned how to throw a football, boss.

PopeReal

Can't really argue with this. I just get so used to it.... but yeah it is a joke really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom