• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 (XB/PC, Sumo Digital) E3 Trailer out Nov 7th

Risette

A Good Citizen
What the hell is happening with this game? Where are the destruction and the art style of those pre-alpha videos? This trailer looks terrible.
the destruction was never going to be in the SP. This was known literally years ago

idk how many times this has to be repeated

zeexlash

Might as well have just remastered Crackdown - which actually is in its tenth anniversary year - and made a new multiplayer game with city demolition..

Ethelwulf

Crackdown gameplay. 30 sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bxhmoNXnb8

GlossyRichAsiaticmouflon.gif

It is truly disappointing. I loved the infamous series and I was looking forward to this game. Compare the fluidity of animations and physics to this:
50d16aa1-7517-4ef4-a4e2-4f7dab8f2095.gif

PS3 game btw

We should wait for more footage though.

It is truly disappointing. I loved the infamous series and I was looking forward to this game. Compare the fluidity of animations and physics to this:
50d16aa1-7517-4ef4-a4e2-4f7dab8f2095.gif

PS3 game btw

We should wait for more footage though.

That looks a lot better visually than I remember the game being. Man, I wouldn't mind a Remaster of these two.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sumo Digital is making the game?

What happened to the original team?

It was always the 3 still listed on the Xbox page as we speak

Reagent Games, Sumo Digital and Cloudgine.

They also still mention mutlplayer:

Join with up to 10 agents online to tear the city apart piece by piece in a 100% destructible multiplayer arena, available with your purchase of Crackdown 3.

This was just a trailer that didn't seem to show off what was being touted in 2015. I was fine with it personally.

It was always the 3 still listed on the Xbox page as we speak

Reagent Games, Sumo Digital and Cloudgine.

They also still mention mutlplayer:

This was just a trailer that didn't seem to show off what was being touted in 2015. I was fine with it personally.
So possibly just a really bad trailer, I guess.

So possibly just a really bad trailer, I guess.

Yep. I can see why they'd want to show of what Sumo have been doing in terms of the SP, but it definitely should have been revealed with an on-stage demo, with a proper look at transforming cars, the different gangs and districts. What they showed should've come after, nearer the release imo.

Should be known that cloudgine & reagent are the same company both started by Dave Jones and both companies are VERY small, probably less than 30 people combined. They are a technology company, not a game developer per say. Sumo Digital is a full-service independent developer. It doesn't shock me that Sumo is taking the lead as they are really 'developing' the game.

Sumo has been working on Crackdown 3 for at least 2 years, if not longer.

thanks!

The SP hasn't been in development as long as the MP, the game was delayed to include it, so we're looking at somewhere between 12-18 months for the SP development.

So basically the same situation as Crackdown 2 where we get a sequel that barely adds anything to the formula and looks bad graphically. Why even bother making an open-world game with such little development time?

So basically the same situation as Crackdown 2 where we get a sequel that barely adds anything to the formula and looks bad graphically. Why even bother making an open-world game with such little development time?

It's looking a bit like that, we can only hope they've been able to improve on the various elements somewhat. Will reserve judgment until we see more, but as I said in another thread, MS really need to ensure their 1st party titles wow when seen. Crackdown and SoD2 looked shabby, with Ori and SoT being their saving graces imo. If the studios developing Crackdown and SoD2 are small, send more help or give them more time.

No.

It actually looks pretty much like Crackdown 1 with better visuals. I'm ok with that personally.

Better visuals, yeah no. Go look at the detail of the explosions in Crackdown 1 and how you'd be able to chain them together and look at the orange mess you see from the rockets in that video. Take note of the draw distance which CD1 was famed for, and then look at how pedestrians on just the other side of the street in that CD3.

Then pick up a car in CD1 and throw it across the street and see how the physics would let it tumble and roll over repeatedly with a believable amount of weight until it hit something. You'd even be able to alter it mid skid by shooting out a tire. Then look at that video and see how throwing a car immediately results in that same orange mess filling the screen.

It has a "chunkier" aesthetic to it too, which isn't necessarily bad, but is also reminiscent of CD2.

Noctix

This has been posted at least 3 times in the thread. No one watches it and keeps repeating the same wrong information and knee-jerk reactions.

I have seen it, my issue why show this on the biggest stage of the year for microsoft and not the cool stuff like the mp thing they have been talking about? It's not making any sense to me. I really don't think the mp is going to look any better then this. The environments were static in the gameplay demo somebody linked just now. I apologies for being overly negative but this was the only game i was really looking forward to and I feel very disappointed.

So when Microsoft gives one of their flagship titles that is due to launch alongside the X and one of their few exclusive titles left the same screen time as they gave to most of the indy games they showcased and about a quarter of the time they gave to Shadow of Mordor 2/Assassin's Creed (with live gameplay to boot) and still puts out an underwhelming video, I'd say there is massive cause for concern here about the quality of Crackdown 3.

Show me, don't just tell me. Especially when it's been years since we last saw or heard anything about the game.

Words aren't enough.

I have seen it, my issue why show this on the biggest stage of the year for Microsoft and not the cool stuff like the mp thing they have been talking about? It's not making any sense to me. I really don't think the mp is going to look any better than this. The environments were static in the gameplay demo somebody linked just now. I apologise for being overly negative but this was the only game I was really looking forward to and I feel very disappointed.

It's not really hard to figure out, gamers have been bitching for months about not seeing any gameplay just tech demos so they gave you some at E3 and made it playable on the show floor. I'm not there at E3 so I can't play it but it's not going anywhere so I can wait to see if it lives up to what I expect.

Most of you sound like 12-year-olds in here with your "outrage" because you haven't seen what you want yet.

Raide

So when Microsoft gives one of their flagship titles that is due to launch alongside the X and one of their few exclusive titles left the same screen time as they gave to most of the indy games they showcased and about a quarter of the time they gave to Shadow of Mordor 2/Assassin's Creed (with live gameplay to boot) and still puts out an underwhelming video, I'd say there is massive cause for concern here about the quality of Crackdown 3.

They are supposed to be showing gameplay this week. Let's wait for that before burning things down.

Betty

Banned
I'm so sorry for the fans that were hyped for this, even I feel let down and I don't like the series.

They are supposed to be showing gameplay this week. Let's wait for that before burning things down.

Even if it turns out the gameplay is great (and evidence shows it really isn't) the graphics look craptastic, and THIS is a full on Xbox exclusive? Woof!

It's not really hard to figure out, gamers have been bitching for months about not seeing any gameplay just tech demos so they gave you some at E3 and made it playable on the show floor. I'm not there at E3 so I can't play it but it's not going anywhere so I can wait to see if it lives up to what I expect.

Most of you sound like 12-year-olds in here with your "outrage" because you haven't seen what you want yet.

The game looks bad and all they have in face of that criticism is words.

Show me the game looks good, show me that it's not just a hastily developed mode that was an afterthought.

So far, they've failed and words aren't enough to make me think otherwise.

The game looks bad and all they have in face of that criticism is words.

Show me the game looks good, show me that it's not just a hastily developed mode that was an afterthought.

So far, they've failed and words aren't enough to make me think otherwise.

Yep, we've been waiting 3 (4 if you count the tease at the XB1 reveal) years for this, and it's the first real footage we've seen, and it does not look good.

Phil was talking about "we don't spend enough time telling the story of our games" or some crap a few weeks back, and then proceeds to shove 40 games into 90 minutes and gives their big November release a 2 minute trailer where half of it is live action. I'll put my hands up and say I'm probably more defensive because they've called it Crackdown, a new IP and I wouldn't care as much, and on top of that they've called it Crackdown 3, so it's not a reboot it should be building on what we've seen and played before.

I'm so sorry for the fans that were hyped for this, even I feel let down and I don't like the series.

Even if it turns out the gameplay is great (and evidence shows it really isn't) the graphics look craptastic, and THIS is a full on Xbox exclusive? Woof!

As a huge fan of the original, this looks like what Crackdown 2 should have been.

I don't understand the reactions here at all, it looks like Crackdown. The destruction gameplay was only ever shown in the multiplayer mode. If that's playable this week, it only means that MS is bad at marketing. The fact that the SP exists and actually looks like a fun 4p co-op game is awesome.

Perhaps things will turn out Ok. Perhaps. But ask yourself one thing, if Microsoft were willing to give their other key exclusives in Forza 7, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 decent exposure at the show why weren't they confident enough to give Crackdown the same exposure?

JP

I still rate the first game as one of the most enjoyable games that I've ever played, on any platform. The second game was one of the biggest letdowns that I've had playing games, in part because of how much I loved the first.

This doesn't essentially look bad but it doesn't look good either, it all look decidedly average. Particularly when you consider that it's running on Scorpio. The quality of the graphics look a little like I'd imagine they'd end up with if they upscaled the older games to 4K, there certainly doesn't seem to be anything to shout about there.

Also, I have no idea who the hell Terry Crews is.

RedRum

Banned
Looks like the spirit of Crackdown to me.

I remember watching the Gamescom 2015 demo and despite the destruction, the art style is still the same as it was. Glad we got a release date though. 2017 is a surprise to me, but looking at the reactions here, you guys seem content to delay this 5 more years with "this is fine" like I've seen in other threads. Dev says destruction is still there and I'm inclined to believe him until its proven that it is a flat out lie.

JaggedSac

There is a very good reason they didn't show much gameplay. This shit is coming in hot. Going to be a Recore-like scenario where things feel incomplete. Mind boggling that this is the case given the absurd amount of time that this thing has been worked on. What a disappointment.

On another (non-gaming) forum I go on, one of the posters is one of the crackdown devs.

He doesn't give too much away but from what he does say, I'm 99% sure that cloud/destruction tech is in the game. I would be absolutely shocked if it wasn't. It's basically the whole point.

Bulby

I mean, how hard is it really? Do they not have the budget or what?

A little bit of TLC and this game would have showed so much better. Looks like its still using RenderWare FFS!

By far the biggest let down of the year. I didn't expect much with how quiez they've gotten but this is just amazingly bad.

The series had so much potential and then they put out a terrible sequel and now this.

Top Bottom