• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

How bizarre, in Crash 3 platinum for Hog Ride was waaay worse than Road Crash. I was stuck on Road Crash platinum for long time in PS1, but here it went much better than Hog Ride.

I cant remember how Hog Ride was in PS1, but here the enemy cars DESTROY any chances. You basically have to wait 30 secs before starting, just so that you can ride the stage without bumping into anyone.

jmartoine

Define "best". A couple are tough as hell to get, Slippery Climb and Lost City particularly.

Well I've got the Orange and Blue gems from Generator Room and Toxic Waste already. The Yellow one from The Lab is within my grasp but I keep failing on the penultimate platform/ the TNT jumps at the end.

My thinking was that if I got the coloured gems first, getting the white ones will be much easier as I can both die, and I will have all the paths unlocked.

ktroopa

I have reached road to nowhere on Crash 1 and realised i dont wish to spend 2-3hours completing just one level.. game looks fantastic and i wish to see more. Is there any kind of level skip or cheat code for these bastard hard levels?

Tsunamo

I have reached road to nowhere on Crash 1 and realised i dont wish to spend 2-3hours completing just one level.. game looks fantastic and i wish to see more. Is there any kind of level skip or cheat code for these bastard hard levels?
Unfortunely not in this version (the original Crash 1 had password saves but they're not here, I understand why but it was nice using codes)

For the second level like Road To Nowhere though when you get to it i'd recommend trying to jump on the ropes at times, if you get it right it allows you to walk on them and helps with some segments.

2 and 3 are much more laidback in difficulty.

The_Dama

Just finished Crash 2. Crash 1 was wayyyy better for me. I really liked the level selection overview.

Onto Crash 3.Hope it still holds up.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Good news! Dying in the bonus stages doesn't count for the no death runs.

Yeah, thank god for that. Already at Cortex now, but I don't know if I'll have the patience for this platinum. I wasted so many lives on Slippery Climb, I can't imagine doing that one deathless or even a time trial. Same for the Road levels. I'll try to get all gems, but then it's on to Crash 2.

Kickz

I find turning on a podcast helps lol, puts you in a zen state and you play reflexively on hard levels

Banzai

The relics in crash 2 are a lot harder for me than the ones from crash 1. I guess it must be because the game expects me to do the slide-jump-spin thing?
Still, only 6 platinum relics remaining and I went from top to bottom on the warp rooms so it should only be easy levels left now.

ktroopa

Unfortunely not in this version (the original Crash 1 had password saves but they're not here, I understand why but it was nice using codes)

For the second level like Road To Nowhere though when you get to it i'd recommend trying to jump on the ropes at times, if you get it right it allows you to walk on them and helps with some segments.

2 and 3 are much more laidback in difficulty.

Cool thanks i found these vids on youtube, cheap but il take it lol.. good to know on Crash 2 and 3 the ride is a bit easier :)

Ugh I just can't be bothered to do the relics in Crash 2 right now. The level design is just so bad compared to 1 and 3. Might just go finish up 1 and call it a day.

Is it me or the general opinion on Crash 1 improved immensely after this collection?

I previously considered it mostly a prototype throwaway game but with this collection it might actually be one of my favorite platformers around. Really really good level design without any gimmicks. Kind of makes me feel like the slide-jump and other moves in the later games ruined it somewhat.

Roo

The Yellow one from The Lab is within my grasp but I keep failing on the penultimate platform/ the TNT jumps at the end.

TNT crates have an extra bounce when you jump on them so my best advice is to jump on the first TNT crate, let Crash bounce on that same crate, walk slowly towards the last TNT and then jump to the finish platform.

jmartoine

TNT crates have an extra bounce when you jump on them so my best advice is to jump on the first TNT crate, let Crash bounce on that same crate, walk slowly towards the last TNT and then jump to the finish platform.

Gotcha. I kind of panic when I get to the end and rush to finish while flustered.

Darknight

I beat Crash1 but want to get the Plat.

How do I know which stages to beat to get the gems for the extra passages on certain stages?

There is one stage in the beginning like 2nd stage that has a blue looking diamond platform. Ok so I got to get the Blue diamond....but wait the Blue diamond stage has this other thing missing...WTF.

Was it this confusing back then?

I beat Crash1 but want to get the Plat.

How do I know which stages to beat to get the gems for the extra passages on certain stages?

There is one stage in the beginning like 2nd stage that has a blue looking diamond platform. Ok so I got to get the Blue diamond....but wait the Blue diamond stage has this other thing missing...WTF.

Was it this confusing back then?

There are 6 special gems. You can see on the world map if the gem is special, if it doesn't look like the standard white gem the same place you see the levels name and whats in the level (keys, gems, relics, etc.) I recommend getting all of them, then taking care of the extra passages.

theaface

Just got the platinum trophy for Crash 3, completing the set.

Having never played the Crash games the first time around, I've had a blast with this trilogy. Fun, colourful, challenging and exceptional value for money. Though 2 and 3 certainly bring some positive innovations to the table (slide move and SOME of the gimmicks), Crash 1 is my favourite of the bunch from a difficulty and platformer purist point of view.

Also, great work by VV. Looking at YouTube footage of the originals, it's clear a lot of care went into these remasters to make them feel fresh and up to snuff in 2017.

If the DLC is a good price, I'll be back on board for that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is it me or the general opinion on Crash 1 improved immensely after this collection?
About damn time. I've always been of the opinion that Crash 1 was super underrated and provided a very tightly focused quality platforming experience that the sequels didn't quite match. With that said, remake Crash 1 is kinda fucked in a number of areas. High Road is just plain bad now. Some messed up ice physics aside nothing from a gameplay perspective seems ruined in remake Crash 2 the way they did with remake Crash 1.

Ive enjoyed my time with this collection. Crash 1 was the first game I bought with my Playstation so its been nice to go back and visit these games. I cant see myself going back and getting the platinums, though. But we'll see after I finish them all.

Kickz

Damn just beat Crash 1..

Feel like I should be awarded a Nobel Peace prize.

Never played Crash 1 so this difficulty level was all new to me, I remember I only got to play Crash 3 on PS2

jmartoine

Got the gem for Fumbling in the Dark, alongside High Road that was one of the levels where the change to Crash's hitbox was most apparent. So many landings ended up sliding off but once I got the muscle memory down it wasn't too bad.

Demoskinos

I previously considered it mostly a prototype throwaway game but with this collection it might actually be one of my favorite platformers around. Really really good level design without any gimmicks. Kind of makes me feel like the slide-jump and other moves in the later games ruined it somewhat.

Yeah, I've enjoyed Crash 1 more than the other 2. They keep just bolting more shit on for no reason at all as the series progresses.

I was never a super Crash fanboy but Crash 2 and Tekken 2 were the games I got with my PS1 when Crash 2 was new and I've played enough of that and the original to warrant a nostalgic buy with this collection...

...but now I'm super into it. I want figures, an animated series and a sequel from VV using what they've learned from this project.

I'm just loving the look and feel of these. I don't have it in me to want to attempt numerous runs to 100+% these titles, but do I enjoy just going through to completion and seeing some of the later levels I never attempted to make it to in the past.

Thanks Activision, VV and Sony (and ND? Did they get any props in the credits?).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Played a bit of Coco 3 today, hated the jetski level and I haaaaaaaate the motorcycle level where I just decided to quit playing for the day.

Personally still think that Crash 1 is still boring to play with going for 100% being pointless as the game does not reward you for it and no amount of remastering will fix that.

I will always skip Crash 1 till the end of time as I just view it as a poor bandicoot version of the Donkey Kong Country games.

Demoskinos

Played a bit of Coco 3 today, hated the jetski level and I haaaaaaaate the motorcycle level where I just decided to quit playing for the day.

Personally still think that Crash 1 is still boring to play with going for 100% being pointless as the game does not reward you for it and no amount of remastering will fix that.

I will always skip Crash 1 till the end of time as I just view it as a poor bandicoot version of the Donkey Kong Country games.

You get the same rewards in any of the other games....either you enjoy the challenge of 100% completion or you don't that challenge is the reward in itself for many. Some carrot on the end of the stick isn't going to make that more appealing suddenly.

TheOGB

Banned
About damn time. I've always been of the opinion that Crash 1 was super underrated and provided a very tightly focused quality platforming experience that the sequels didn't quite match. With that said, remake Crash 1 is kinda fucked in a number of areas. High Road is just plain bad now. Some messed up ice physics aside nothing from a gameplay perspective seems ruined in remake Crash 2 the way they did with remake Crash 1.
I kinda feel the opposite? I didn't care much for the original Crash 1, but the remake has endeared me to it by a lot. So much so that I think future entries should lean more towards that pure platforming challenge (with more reasonable physics, saving, abilities, etc).

Meanwhile I loved the hell out of Crash 2, so much that the changes present in the remake have kinda soured me on it a bit.

farisr

Just got the platinum trophy for crash 1. Phew.

Ended up getting 7 plat relics even though I was aiming for gold, and many of my gold were like 1 sec off from plat. I like the game but not enough to go for plat times.

Gonna take a break from Crash now, Play and beat some other game and then start up crash 2.

TP-DK

Fuck Sunset Vista, what a piece of trash level, the only thing positive about it is that it looks pretty.

High Road might get a lot of bad rep but atleast it was good in the original. Sunset Vista has always been crap.

bede-x

I hope that's true. It was always my favorite of the three due to the pure platforming focus and fewer moves, something this collection reaffirms. I also think the level design at it's best reaches higher than later installments.

Two and three are great in their own right, but if they ever make a new one, I'd want them to base it on one.

Is there anything in the fact there are two different game over screens on the first crash bandicoot? You can either get the first game over screen where the mask thing is normal. Or a second where everything is much darker

Is there anything in the fact there are two different game over screens on the first crash bandicoot? You can either get the first game over screen where the mask thing is normal. Or a second where everything is much darker
I think it's random but I mostly only see the darkened one so I'm not sure if it's a glitch or if it brightens after so many deaths or what...

Just finished it recently for the first time, absolutely great game except for High Road with the broken turtles. Love the NES-esque game design mixed with the amazing visuals from general art direction and polish to small things like the UI design.

Just finished it recently for the first time, absolutely great game except for High Road with the broken turtles. Love the NES-esque game design mixed with the amazing visuals from general art direction and polish to small things like the UI design.
Agreed.

I still can't pass High Road because I either slip off the front of the turtles or I'm not holding forward hard enough (note: I am, but every now and then for some reason momentum is lost on the bounce as if I let go of forward).

Still doesn't turn me off of the game. It makes it fun and nostalgic passing the controller while attempting with company over. Well with road to nowhere at least. Haven't had company to help/cheer me on with high road yet lol.

Well, on top of all Platinum Trophies I just gone and got all Platinum Relics.

I had a lot of fun with this game. Despite being big fan who could always nitpick so many little details, the overall experience with this game has been great. I did saw some videos that claim that we look old games with rose tinted-glasses, I do think physics changes do screw up bit too much in Crash 1 and I would hope that they would fix this. This isn’t about making the games easier, its about making the games even more like originals.

And as much as I have noticed other people asking for these changes, the tone is never too negative. Nobody is saying that “the physics are to different, this game shit sux”, its rather “the game is great, if only the physics were bit better”. I’m happy that reception has been positive.

At one point I did realize something potentially awful. CTR Remastered is atm most requested new thing, however, as some have pointed it out, Sony does somehow have the rights to CTR and CTR only(this was the case right? Other PS1 games had publishing rights, but CTR had something more). Since Crash is owned by Activision, I do wonder if they would want to make real exclusive in that regard.

In Crash 1 and 2, the Gameover screen is darker becuase Uka Uka is trapped in the temple prison. After being freed in the beginning of Crash 3, he'll appear much brighter.

ktroopa

Finished the Road to Nowhere yesterday and was pleased when I got through it... but I didn't know there was a second one. Eeh think I'm going to get a few of those colored gems before tackling that lol

Walking along the ropes trick i breezed through this, after watching youtube :p not looking forward to high road lol

Roo

In Crash 1 and 2, the Gameover screen is darker becuase Uka Uka is trapped in the temple prison. After being freed in the beginning of Crash 3, he'll appear much brighter.
I think he's talking about some sort of glitch in the game over screens.

I got those several times even before playing 3.

Sometimes you'd get a game over screen where there seems to be a generic/ soft light (in front) of Uka Uka and others (I assume the right ones) are the ones with the dim light coming from Uka Uka's right side with some sort of sparkles coming out of his hair.

TheOGB

Banned
Slippery Climb is a fun level to speedrun. One of the reasons I've come around on Crash 1 is that these time trials have shown me that all of these levels have their own kind of flow and rhythm to them, and it feels great when you're in sync with it. It feels like Donkey Kong Country.

Which means I should probably replay the original DKC trilogy, because I didn't care for those at first either 👀

Mannnn Crash 3 is the most frustrating game in this collection. Not because it's the hardest one (it isn't) but because it keeps bogging itself down with shit gimmick levels. And I'm pretty sure the jet ski controls even worse than it used to here. It's a shame because the platforming levels are fun and tightly designed, but everything else is awful. The jetpack in 2 might have been a dumpster fire but it was at least used very sparingly as opposed to every other level.

Top Bottom