• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot: N.Sane Trilogy |OT| N.Teresting and N.Tertaining N.Fographics With-N

CloudNein

Man, you guys weren't kidding about Crash 2. Much harder than I remember, especially anything to do with ice. Sucks, 'cause the game itself is pretty good.

I got all the clear/colored gems in crash 1 (still with difficulty, but doable and challenging) and Crash 2 makes me feel like a chump. I gave up on cold hard crash getting the gem. I played 2 and 3 back in the day but they're missing something that made 1 special. Maybe two is just extra screwed up from the revision.

Sullichin

Hm, leaderboards in Crash 1 are messed up for me. My own score isn't showing up on some of them, and in some my best time isn't the one that's showing up. For example I got platinum on a level but it's showing a gold time. :(

ghibli99

Damn, Crash 2 time attacks are pretty insane. 10 down, only 1 platinum. I have a feeling I'm gonna want to take a long break after this before I start Warped.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I still cannot believe they made Crash 1 harder than it already was

it's:

b79.jpg

the game (minus the lasting too long and the bad part, because neither of those things are true)

Still a good game and part of an amazing collection thanks to 2 and especially Warped, but there was NO REASON to do that.

Mariip

I still cannot believe they made Crash 1 harder than it already was

it's:

the game (minus the lasting too long and the bad part, because neither of those things are true)

Still a good game and part of an amazing collection thanks to 2 and especially Warped, but there was NO REASON to do that.
As hard as the game is now, being able to save your progress whenever you need to already makes it 1000x more bearable than the original. Meaning it IS easier in a way that it can actually be completed by human beings without cheats now :/

Everything in Crash 3 is a cake walk compared to the past games so far.especially the bosses. Dingodile seemed like he could be challenging if his fight had more sequences.

The hardest parts so far have been the secret path in one of those underwater levels and getting all the boxes in the second motor cycle level (kept missing one somehow).

I made the n.sanity beach platinum by just 0.04 seconds. That one is tiiiiight

Fumbling in the Dark's platinum relic was easier than that.

Crash 1's levels are harder to beat in one life, but Crash 2's times seemed stricter overall. I only ended up with 4-5 platinums in all of 2, whereas I go 10 or so in 1.

AHA-Lambda

K, just got 1 last gem to get for Crash 2 (cold hard crash... not looking forward to this >_>)

Don't think I'll bother getting 100+% for Crash 1 or 3, as I had done that for 3 back in the day, and 1 is still just a monster

Banzai

All platinum relics down in Crash 1 and 2.

I'm not sure if I want to do the same for Crash 3. Especially the underwater and jetski levels are just no fun to speedrun.

desmax

whew, just got the Platinum for Crash 2

I feel like I want to relax a little before playing Warped, but I also feel like I want to clear them all as soon as possible.

Only have two gold relics left in Crash 3. The final level (which I love) and the second cat level (which I fucking hate). Any tips for the cat level? As rushing through it seems incredibly difficult due to never knowing what is coming next, and missing so much, but going slow seems like a losing strategy.

Also, I'm short 1 gem and I'm not quite sure where it is. Fairly certain I've got all the gems in all the levels including all the secret levels (both in the hidden warp and the two that you have to reach via other levels).

Speaking of which, Hot Coco was actually not as bad as I expected to get the gold relic, its not a friendly level to speed run for sure, but the time limit seemed super generous as long as you plan your route out smartly.

Only have two gold relics left in Crash 3. The final level (which I love) and the second cat level (which I fucking hate). Any tips for the cat level? As rushing through it seems incredibly difficult due to never knowing what is coming next, and missing so much, but going slow seems like a losing strategy.

Also, I'm short 1 gem and I'm not quite sure where it is. Fairly certain I've got all the gems in all the levels including all the secret levels (both in the hidden warp and the two that you have to reach via other levels).

Speaking of which, Hot Coco was actually not as bad as I expected to get the gold relic, its not a friendly level to speed run for sure, but the time limit seemed super generous as long as you plan your route out smartly.
You get a gem for getting all relics

For the Coco and Pura levels, you can charge through the rolling barrels, but other than that, it's mostly just memorising where each obstacle is going to be.

Platinumed Crash 1 and am most of the way through Crash 2 (all gems, first 2 and a half Warp Rooms Gold Relic'd). I think Crash 1 plays much better now that it has a sane save system. The tougher 2D sidescrolling levels that rely mostly on "pure" platforming like Slippery Climb, The Lost City, Native Fortress and Sunset Vista are excellent. There's some good challenge in doing the no-death runs for coloured gems and time trials in levels like Generator Room and The Lab (though I never even tried Plat'ing them). Then there's The High Road that exposes the poorer hitbox/platform mechanics in the worst way by making the hardest time trial harder still. Landing those rope jumps felt more dependent on lucky intuition than timing. Visuals are superb, especially in levels like Jaws of Darkness/Temple Ruins.

Crash 2 is a lot more uneven. The jet pack levels, some of the weird secret paths and rooms (I need to start Road to Ruin and Air Crash from elsewhere to get the gems?!), and mandatory backtracking (Diggin' It, Piston it Away, Cold Hard Crash) are awkward and hold the game back. Final boss is a (very short) joke. Some levels like Spaced Out and Bee-Having are more creative than anything in CB1 though, credit where due, and the music is still excellent. Time trials aren't as fun so far - too much stop/start compared to CB1, as others have said, but nor have any so far been remotely as hard as The Lab/High Road/Generator Room/Fumbling in the Dark.

I have almost all the gems in Crash 2, and I'm prepared for the ending to not be that much different despite all the work I've put into this. =P

Yeah, that's that done then!:
DFGhLa_WsAEhlY_.jpg:large

I've absolutely loved my time with this collection, I already want to replay all three games! I'd never finished Crash back in the day and only got the "bad" ending to Crash 2 so I went into the games pretty fresh.

Loved Crash 1, the pure focus on platforming resonated very well with me and I love a good challenge so the hard difficulty (especially in some levels) only made me love the game more.

Crash 2 rocked as much as I remembered, but I hate those Jetpack levels... Didn't really have any issues with backtracking though, managed those gems pretty easily to be honest. I do love how much extra stuff there is in Crash 2 if you look for it - finding the secret levels, routes etc. was really fun.

Crash 3 was the most uneven game for me. It has some of the best platforming in the three games in my opinion, but I didn't like that they focused on vehicle sections as much as they did, I'd have loved a few more platforming levels instead. Tomb Wader especially is one of my favourite levels ever to speed run, I played it for a long time and ended up getting the platinum relic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHKCP7zwNrA

Speaking of relics - the time trials really helped me appreciate how fun the levels can be - doing speed runs of them was very rewarding and really helped provide another layer of replayibility to the games.

Can't wait to get my hands on the DLC, hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

You sure convinced me!

You're a publisher's wet dream.

I guarantee you they've made more money selling this at $40 than they would have at $60.

No, could not have been 3 separate releases totalling $90, that would have been an absolute rip-off. This isn't a "pro-consumer" product, it's here to make fucking money. Activision aren't here thinking "Oh that PeakPointMatrix and his sassy retorts deserve this collection at a cheap price". No, it's about money and nothing much more.
Sorry, but all this tells me is that either you haven't been gaming long, or you haven't been paying attention. There have been so many lesser remakes, remasters and collections released for much, much more with much less value, almost to an exploitative extent. 3 rebuilt from the ground up full sized games for a budget price is not the norm at all, and wholly welcomed and should be encouraged.
The DLC is two stages, it is absolutely obvious. Those stages were cut from the original game, and they have been working on them before the game even released. You think we should be paying for them a month after the collection's release? Lol. It's not "entitled gamers", it's having a tiny bit of respect for your fanbase by not charging for it.
All conjecture on your part. Yeah, it's obvious that it's the cut stages, but we know nothing more than that. We don't know if it's free, we don't know if they're charging for them, or how much. We don't even know if there's potentially more than that being included. With the outrage here, you'd think the gems were locked away as paid DLC. Part of my point is to wait and see what it is and what they want (if anything) for it.

And you hit the nail on the head, yeah they're a business. And as a business it's well within their right to charge whatever the fuck they want for the DLC, or not at all. Just like it's within your right to not buy it. My main issue that sparked my first post was the ridiculous sentiment that they "owed" this DLC as free as a "thank you". They don't owe us shit, and we don't owe them shit if we don't perceive it as worth our money or time. It's that simple. But continue to rage on about DLC we don't have concrete details, price, or content on.

Sullichin

I'm kind of expecting the DLC to be free because the trophies are showing up already? I know it's a different title but it's kind of weird to not be able to get 100% trophies at launch without buying dlc. Has there been precedence for this?

Kaswa101

Made a start on the Crash 1 Platinum but I'm not sure if I'll have the patience. Got the High Road and Road to Nowhere relics out of the way, and the Slippery Climb gem. What other horrible things do I need to finish first to maintain sanity? :p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yay, got all gems in Crash 2. Started doing the time trails and got 6 gold medals, but some took a bunch of retries. I don't know if I can go all the way here, it takes so much patience. The boulder levels for instance suddenly become such a pain since you have to memorize the location of every mine. I don't know, could be I just start Crash 3 instead.

bryt

Wow Crash 2 was waaay easier to get all gold relics on than Crash 1. Having more options really helped. I'm assuming Crash 3 is gonna be even easier?

Wow Crash 2 was waaay easier to get all gold relics on than Crash 1. Having more options really helped. I'm assuming Crash 3 is gonna be even easier?
Pretty much. Most of the standard platforming levels are really easy to do in Crash 3 from my experience, the vehicle stuff is not as fun but tends to have pretty lenient times for gold relics.

A.J.

Banned
Please tell me there are no more spinning platform sections after Native Fortress. I've never hated a section of a platformer so much

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
17 Relics down in Crash 1. 9 More to go.

Not sure I'll manage. On third island and getting gold on some of these is just breaking me. I spent an entire 2hr podcast listen just trying to shave 2 sec on one level(Generator Room) without success.

Agh, can't give up. Spent way too much time getting golds on some levels just to be deflated now.

DFJGyfVV0AEPJhh.jpg

Two down, one to go.

Crash 2 had its not-so-easy relic stages but nothing too difficult, nothing like 1. I hear 3 is a cakewalk compared to the previous two titles so I'm ready for the ride. 3 was my first Crash back in the day so to hear the music and see everything again really hit home. The remakes definitely have their issues but I enjoyed this collection for the most part.

Nev

Banned
Wow, the load times are bad. I would've taken a whole point of the score for that crap alone.

Loading times for restarting a time trial hahaha.

Insane indeed.

theaface

Wow, the load times are bad. I would've taken a whole point of the score for that crap alone.

Loading times for restarting a time trial hahaha.

Insane indeed.

But the time trial restarts are pretty much instant? I'd take your point on going for no-death coloured gem runs, but I never had any issues with downtime on redoing time trials.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
But the time trial restarts are pretty much instant? I'd take your point on going for no-death coloured gem runs, but I never had any issues with downtime on redoing time trials.

Yeah there should be no load times when you restart a time trial, it's instant.

Nev

Banned
If you finish a level and you press "Yes" to "Do you want to restart" there certainly is a loading time. At least the one time I failed to get the relic –I'm 2 good– that's what happened.

Maybe you're talking about pressing Start then restart? I haven't tried that.

The load times are too long as it is though. This is a PS1 platformer with very limited playable space, scripted as hell, basically zero AI and 30fps, the load times are completely inexcusable.

Other than that the remake is excellent so far. Pure old school fun.

I enjoyed Crash 1 enough to finish it, but not enough to 100% it. The levels that require you to break all the crates without dying can fuck right off. I might have persisted if the game has a "restart level" option in the pause menu, or load times that weren't ridiculously long, but as it is, I don't have the patience or inclination.

I got 100% in Crash 2 (except for relics). There are a couple of bullshit segments (mainly the requirements for breaking all the crates in Cold Hard Crash being absysmally designed), but for the most part it's doable without too much aggravation. Also, Crash 2 is my favourite game in the series.

I don't enjoy Crash 3 to even clear the game normally. I quit during the second world just as I have done every time I tried to play Crash 3 in the past. I hate the gimmick levels, and there are far too many of them.

I'm done with the trilogy, and I've sold it on eBay. I'm definitely glad I got and played it, but I don't see myself wanting to go back to it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
"First, the Stormy Ascent level from the original Crash Bandicoot was designed by the team at Naughty Dog but not included in the final game. Until now! This legendary level has been remastered and updated by Vicarious Visions, and better yet, it’s a free download! Starting today at 12pm Pacific, and for the next 30 days, players can head to the PlayStation Store and add a brand-new boost to your Crash Bandicoot experience!"

Is it only free for 30 days, or is it only available for 30 days?

*Splinter

Stormy Ascent available now. It's in the store as an add on to the trilogy (free)

They've also added a map shortcut to go from the first level to the last, that's handy.

No download btw

Top Bottom