• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Trailer Shown at PSX

Watching for the first time i didn't like it. But watching the B-roll footage made me a believer. These games were phenomenal and i think that it looks great. The only thing that i don't like is the wumpa fruits and other pickups, because it's not immediate, it looks a little delayed between hitting the item and getting it. Which is something that will probably change as the development goes ahead.

Next year we will have crash, yooka laylee and mario. What a time to be alive

Looking at most of the footage available, it has grew on me, it's just the tiny things in areas that could be improved. The UI stuff and font that's already been mentioned, some of Crash's animations, and for me, the music and SFX.

Mainly the music because there seems to be a MAJOR LACK OF COMMUNICATION between whoever's doing the new versions and the original composer (who has said he'd be happy to work on these games and STILL has the original masters for the music he made). The one problem is that these remixed tracks are just being based off the compressed console PlayStation mixes, which lacked certain effects and were shortened in some area, when the original composer has the full versions available still and has even posted some tracks online to show the difference!

For example, let's take Heavy Machinery, here's the big band loop part in the remake:
https://youtu.be/ddogMUuGndw?t=2m50s

Here's the PlayStation mix it's based off:
https://youtu.be/-lFwchGSkes

And yet, here's the original Master version:
https://soundcloud.com/joshmancell/...=joshmancell/sets/music-for-video-games-crash

You can hear extra layers to the track which really add to it and the sound quality is better for most instruments. So I'm just curious as to WHY they are ignoring to work with someone who actually worked on those games, and someone who actually wouldn't mind working on these games again. It's insane, he's got all the masters for the tracks and for the demo tracks and unused stuff just sitting their in his studio!

This is really good criticism and I hope VV can take it on board before finishing the game. I would wager it's something to do with unions, knowing video games, but damn, they should really get Josh Mancell back on board.

Crash music is so good, and it needs to be treated as beautifully as the rest of the game.

The music and the way they do the lighting and shadows isn't very good, and the animations need a little work with the more detailed model. The rest is good.

https://youtu.be/ddogMUuGndw?t=6m58s

The cutscene. OH MY GOD. The way Cortex's theme is done. Jeez. I know it's not Josh, and there's the whole different mixes going on, but at least he seems to be using the right instruments. I hope they take notice of what you guys are saying though.

Why am I poor? I need a PS4 damn it.

One thing that blows my mind is that I finally realize I have seen the Tawna Token completely wrong all these 20 years Aghanim style. I feel so stupid now lol.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Was the original game every given that much story in-game or was it strictly a manual thing? I don't recall ever seeing a cutscene similar to the one there.

SNURB

Another complaint I have is Temple Ruins, in N. Sane it looks way too clean and lacks the nitty gritty that the original level had:
4C8D453C-5358-44C5-A0F3-66513E654D2F_zpszncrmgai.jpg

Whereas in the original it looks ominous, dark and in actual ruins (complete with spider webs and such):
414564B2-0D6A-4658-BA2A-9BC10991AEA5_zpsrpqw5lze.jpg

From what we've seen so far it still looks early so HOPEFULLY they'll make changes along the way.

N.Domixis

Banned
I dunno what I was expecting to be honest. It just looks so dissappointing lol.

I guess I was young and taste in games has changed since
It's an annual tradition for me too play through the first 5 crash games after every semester ends. Yet, I still don't grow out of them. They are timeless classics. Can't wait for a new generation of kids to grow up on crash like I once did if this remaster is successful.

Syntsui

I'm surprised how good this looks. I expected them to do a poor/rushed job with the remakes, but it's clear they were very careful an attentious.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
With this and Knack 2 (presumably) coming next year, I'm so glad we won't have to deal with folks saying that Knack is "basically a modern Crash Bandicoot" anymore. I didn't even hate Knack, but that statement was so off the mark and irritatingly common.

I'm surprised how good this looks. I expected them to do a poor/rushed job with the remakes, but it's clear they were very careful an attentious.

Exactly. People are complaining it looks cartoony and not dark and gritty like the original.

Seriously guys? You want to see that derpy bandicoot running in a realistic environment?

The low quality textures and lighting of the PS1 made it look fine.

if they made the environment dark and gritty with today's graphics, the characters will standout and look very off.

I'm agree that it looked washed out and it needs more contrast and vibrancy in some colors i.e. more cartoony but the textures and models look good.

Kinsei

Banned
The only thing I agree with when it comes to the graphics complaints are that the ruins look too clean. They should be a bit dirtier with some cracks in the platforms to show their age.

Meaty

God I hate heavy machinery, the song just rubs me of wrong. I cringe everytime I hear it.

Rest of the OST is good tho.

Roo

God I hate heavy machinery, the song just rubs me of wrong. I cringe everytime I hear it.

Rest of the OST is good tho.

Really? Huh
I think Heavy Machinery has one of the best songs in the entire soundtrack. Same goes for Sunset Vista and Boulder Dash.

Another complaint I have is Temple Ruins, in N. Sane it looks way too clean and lacks the nitty gritty that the original level had:
4C8D453C-5358-44C5-A0F3-66513E654D2F_zpszncrmgai.jpg

Whereas in the original it looks ominous, dark and in actual ruins (complete with spider webs and such):
414564B2-0D6A-4658-BA2A-9BC10991AEA5_zpsrpqw5lze.jpg

I think I've finally narrowed it down: the original ruins look Aztec in origin, but the remake ruins look Egyptian (sandstone), at least in textural terms. Of course bandicoots are Australian and Wumpa fruits are based on Braeburn apples (New Zealand) and neither of those had Aztecs, but hey. So yeah, I think they missed the mark on the art direction there.

scoobs

This has probably been discussed before, but is anyone else a little bugged by the delay on picking up the wumpas? What is that all about?

Looks fucking great otherwise, I am SO excited to go down this nostalgia trip

Roo

I think I've finally narrowed it down: the original ruins look Aztec in origin, but the remake ruins look Egyptian (sandstone), at least in textural terms. Of course bandicoots are Australian and Wumpa fruits are based on Braeburn apples (New Zealand) and neither of those had Aztecs, but hey. So yeah, I think they missed the mark on the art direction there.

Yeah, that level in particular certainly lacks the ancient atmosphere/look the original one has.
Hope they fix it adding some moss and a darker tone to the stone textures.

This has probably been discussed before, but is anyone else a little bugged by the delay on picking up the wumpas? What is that all about?

Looks fucking great otherwise, I am SO excited to go down this nostalgia trip

It's been discussed, yeah.
I don't know if it would make a difference but people should bring these things up to Vicarious Visions on their Facebook page in a very polite way. Not trashing them or something like that. Pointing out people's concerns should be more than enough, me thinks. After all, it's still work in progress so any reasonable change should be possible.

This looks freakin great.
Haven't played the first three Crash games since 2010 on my PSP Go lol.

Vicarious have done a great job with the remaster, just a couple details they need to touch up but I'll definitely be picking this up. Really miss the old Crash games!

The tone one of the developers referred to 2 and 3 parts of the game make me think this collection isn't coming out until holidays.

I hope the fix the airplane segments in Crash Warped.
The controls were so fiddly, I'd get stuck working those levels forever.

Yeah, good analysis. You're right. The new updated textures/ materials for that level look much more generic, given that it is going with a Egyptian motif. But the original does look more Aztec.

Top Bottom