• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

crash bandicoot trilogy pretty much confirmed on pc ?

I saw the UC4 ones, but what else?

the game has a picture of a PS1 memory card when it's telling you about saving

0g7tA58.png

i don't think it's the same as the picture's of Drake but it's worth pointing out

MattAces

then I don't know what kind of game is Sony playing, they don't look so doubtful labeling their own games

Well they are pretty clear about Crash is not Sony game. Developed by Vicarious Vision and published by Activision except for Japan.

Ahasverus

If I'm not mistaken the game uses lots of Sony references, which means if it was to come to another platform it would need at least some reworking, meaning a longer Dev time. So probably timed exclusive, but don't expect it before 2018.

Hellshy.

I realize you're probably joking but this is exceptionally unlikely since that is the one Crash game Sony owns.

How does that work exactly? I have tried to Google info on ctr and Sony but could not find anything. I am genuinely curious how Sony still maintains ownership over just one game in the ip?

Yukinari

Im pretty sure this has been explained in every thread but are the PS1 Crash games not just a situation where Sony owns them but not the IP itself?

Naughty Dog and Sony did give Vicarious some source code to work off of.

How does that work exactly? I have tried to Google info on ctr and Sony but could not find anything. I am genuinely curious how Sony still maintains ownership over just one game in the ip?

sony published the PS1 crash games, so they have some right over them

Im pretty sure this has been explained in every thread but are the PS1 Crash games not just a situation where Sony owns them but not the IP itself?

Naughty Dog and Sony did give Vicarious some source code to work off of.

they gave them the level layout's but i believe they remade every thing, they only used them as reference materials

jmga

If I'm not mistaken the game uses lots of Sony references, which means if it was to come to another platform it would need at least some reworking, meaning a longer Dev time. So probably timed exclusive, but don't expect it before 2018.

Yes, they would probably need months to change some assets. /s

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No there isn't. There's the same amount of evidence on both sides.

Well:

- Neither Sony nor Activision have unambiguously declared an exclusivity period that extends beyond the launch window, and in fact PlayStation IE went so far as to retract what could be considered a categorical statement in favour of clarifying that the release is merely a "PS4 first"
- While Sony owns the source code of Crash 1-3, Acti owns the games themselves and Vicarious merely used what original assets it was given to form "blueprints" -- none of the original data, let alone decades-old source code -- was used
- The remakes are being developed by an Acti studio, published solely by Acti, and Acti is the one and only copyright claimant

If you've compelling evidence to the contrary, I'm all ears -- and that's a sincere request. I'm not above expressing a modicum of humility.

Edit: The small PlayStation nods are hardly an insurmountable barrier as most recently evidenced by the multiplatform release of Lego City Undercover.

I know you are joking. but CTR is a Sony IP iirc.

You're correct. CTR is the one Crash game that Sony owns.

Javier23

Banned
Regardless of whether I agree or not with your statement, that is already more than one can say about most exclusives.

Less or more of it, the evidence is there and I'm pretty confident personally that we'll see this on PC with time.

Ash735

I saw the UC4 ones, but what else?
- Naughty Dog logo on Coco's Laptop
- Naughty Dog logo on a meteor passing by during the opening cutscene of Crash 2
- Coco is watching an Uncharted 4 playthrough on her laptop (funnily the Nate and Elena playing Crash 1 part)
- Nathan Drake photo insides the Bandicoots house during the opening cutscene of Crash 3
- The Auto-Save menu uses a PS1 Memory Card to notify you

jmga

But neither Sony, VV, or Activision have ever said the game is exclusive. The word exclusive doesn't appear on any press note, trailer or in the official website.

PlayStation Ireland twitter account retracted themselves after saying it is full exclusive to say it is coming first to PS4.

It is pretty obvious to me.

Hellshy.

sony published the PS1 crash games, so they have some right over them

I understand that they published the ps1 games but still find it odd that Activision aquired the ip but somehow does not have the rights to make a ctr remaster/remake. It is a bit confusing to me a guess.

- Naughty Dog logo on a meteor passing by during the opening cutscene of Crash 2
- Coco is watching an Uncharted 4 playthrough on her laptop (funnily the Nate and Elena playing Crash 1 part)
- Nathan Drake photo insides the Bandicoots house during the opening cutscene of Crash 3
Haha holy crap that's so cool they give all those nods to naughty dog

They can probably get rid of that stuff if it comes out on other stuff, but its very odd, why even put them in in the first place if they know it will not be an exclusive.

JaseC

They can probably get rid of that stuff if it comes out on other stuff, but its very odd, why even put them in in the first place if they know it will not be an exclusive.

Because it's launching as an exclusive and Crash's heyday aligns with its PSX exclusivity. It makes sense to capitalise on that.

jmga

Just look at Sonic Lost World, they had to remove entire levels based on Nintendo IPs from the game.

Changing a few assets is no problem at all.

then I don't know what kind of game is Sony playing, they don't look so doubtful labeling their own games

maxresdefault.jpg

original.jpg

Dont look so doubtful? Horizon says PS4 but GoW only days PS.
God of War PS5 launch title?

This whole exclusive labeling shit is out of control. Microsoft management to take it to new heights at E3.

maxcriden

I understand that they published the ps1 games but still find it odd that Activision aquired the ip but somehow does not have the rights to make a ctr remaster/remake. It is a bit confusing to me a guess.

I think it's that Sony itself developed CTR.

Edit: I'm wrong, it is made by ND. Sony owns the rights, though, as others mentioned above.

Because it's launching an exclusive and Crash's heyday aligns with its PSX exclusivity. It makes sense to capitalise on that.

You thinking one year, Jase?

Roo

Can't wait for my Switch version to have
-Nintendo's logo on Coco's laptop
-Nintendo's logo on a meteor
-Coco watching Super Mario 3D World gameplay on her laptop
-Mario photo inside their house
-Auto save menu to have a controller pak pic

YAS!!!!

JaseC

You thinking one year, Jase?

Yeah. My prognostication is that Sony wanted something more significant than 3-6 months given the series' strong PS roots while Acti wanted only to meet in the middle given its history of agreeing to arbitrary exclusivity for DLC and DLC only.

dr_rus

I thought that it was confirmed already that it's a one year timed exclusive for Sony and then will likely come out on PC at least?

maxcriden

I thought that it was confirmed already that it's a one year timed exclusive for Sony and then will likely come out on PC at least?

Not confirmed at all, unfortunately. There's been no official word of any sort regarding exclusivity.

Yeah. My prognostication is that Sony wanted something more significant than 3-6 months given the series' strong PS roots while Acti wanted only to meet in the middle given its history of agreeing to arbitrary exclusivity for DLC and DLC only.

That makes sense, thank you. I'm thinking the same.

Moze

Banned
If Sony owns CTR, how would that work if it were to be remade? They would still have to work with Activision wouldn't they?

JaseC

If Sony owns CTR, how would that work if it were to be remade? They would still have to work with Activision wouldn't they?

Sony does own CTR, but, yeah, theoretically, a remake would require licensing the IP. Additionally, I don't think Acti would be receptive to the idea of one of its studios being tied up with a project that would ultimately belong a third party. My guess is that Sony would either move things around internally or hit up Sumo (Sonic Racing).

I don't understand the problem here. It's obviously coming to other platforms eventually and that's exactly why they have been extremely quiet about it.

Additionally, if you REALLY want to play it now, play it on PS4. The original games were licensed and published by Sony so it's very much likely that they have a timed exclusive deal for the remakes.

For those fighting back saying it's exclusive, you really think Activision will keep it off other platforms? They launched the coveted Goldeneye a year after its exclusive Wii remake. Expect a holiday launch for other platforms at its earliest.

The more people play it, the better. Hopefully it increases the chances of Spyro and CTR getting remade too.

Best wishes.

JaseC

If it is exclusive, wouldn't they usually just say so?

Yeah, but what he's saying is that there has been no incontrovertible statement, so when someone says "It's not exclusive", they're just interpreting the situation differently to someone who argues otherwise.

Edit: D'oh, too slow.

timberger

Probably it'll come to PC at some point, but I still think the Switch beggars are dreaming if they think it'll release on that by all current indications. There's nothing to suggest Activision has an interest in supporting the platform going forward at this point.

I always felt is was so foolish of Sony to not buy out the rights to crash and spyro. 2 big mascots of the PS1 era. Now greedy evil actvision has them and we've seen what happened to spyro. Been kicked to the curb for some other weirdo creatures.

Top Bottom