• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creepy image thread.

Melchiah

Abandonment issues: Creepy photos of doctor's deserted mansion with exam room littered with instruments and microscope slides containing slices of human kidneys

Looking at images of an abandoned doctor's house in Germany taken by photographer Daniel Marbaix prompts curiosity similar to that evoked by great historical sites.
Who were these people? Why did they leave in such a hurry? What happened here?

The once-grand house is badly dilapidated but its rooms still boast gorgeous fixtures and items inexplicably abandoned, suggesting a sudden flight from the home by its occupants. It's the sheer amount of items remaining in the home that shed a little light on who the occupants were. Coats hang on hooks, their colors still bright and handbags of polished leather look ready to be slung over a woman's shoulder.

The most eerie sight of the house, and how it got its name, is the physician's exam room, complete with instruments and slices of kidney set between glass, ready to be examined.

Daniel Marbaix has a fascination with urban decay and the places abandoned during civilization's relentless march. He says little is known about the home, but he says the home has been abandoned for at least 20 years. 'It looks like most of the family were killed in a car accident (found head stones for them in the house) and the lady of the house died shortly after leaving everything behind from work stuff... to personal photos and kids paintings,' he told Reddit readers.

The abandoned doctor's house forms part of Marbaix's book States of Decay which documents abandoned sites from all over Europe and North America.
More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/odins_raven/sets/72157632461019520/detail/

jdUseGQ.jpg

bFDZbnb.jpg

j5OTvG6.jpg

PaJEZbe.jpg

YvC2Cfx.jpg

Melchiah

Great thread! Especially some of the moving GIFs are really creepy...

Blackened noise project Gnaw Their Tongues has some pretty creepy imagery (including their logo): http://www.devotionalhymns.com/gnawtheirtongues/ (Some of the album covers under "Discography" are NSFW!)

Not to mention the 'music' (which is a great soundtrack to a really demented horror movie)...

If you like Gnaw Their Tongues, or dark ambient in general, I recommend to check out Aghast.

And a couple of pics.

wxzYiTD.jpg

6WDNQQM.jpg

Micha Brendel, Der Mutterseelenalleinring, Performance und ErkenntnisART, 9. Juni 1989. (© Jochen Wermann, (c) VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2012)

Obed Marsh

Neo Member
If you like Gnaw Their Tongues, or dark ambient in general, I recommend to check out Aghast.

And a couple of pics.

wxzYiTD.jpg

6WDNQQM.jpg

Micha Brendel, Der Mutterseelenalleinring, Performance und ErkenntnisART, 9. Juni 1989. (© Jochen Wermann, (c) VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2012)

Thanks, Melchiah! Aghast is pretty cool, quiet but very nightmarish. And the two stills of the woman give me the chills.... Do you know what movie (?) they are from?

Melchiah

Thanks, Melchiah! Aghast is pretty cool, quiet but very nightmarish. And the two stills of the woman give me the chills.... Do you know what movie (?) they are from?

It's Shivers by David Cronenberg. I forgot to mention it in my post.

If you're into dark ambient, I might also recommend MZ.412 (later works, the earlier material is more power electronics) and Atrium Carceri (especially the early works).

Obed Marsh

Neo Member
It's Shivers by David Cronenberg. I forgot to mention it in my post.

If you're into dark ambient, I might also recommend MZ.412 (later works, the earlier material is more power electronics) and Atrium Carceri (especially the early works).

Great, thanks! MZ.412 indeed seems a bit more "violent" than the other two. I haven't seen Shivers but I really like Cronenberg in general. I will check it out! It seems several of his other movies are also good potential sources for this thread (although some might fit more in the "disgusting" category).... The weird genealogical instruments in Dead Ringers for example:
deadringers04.jpg

deadringers01.jpg

Melchiah

Great, thanks! MZ.412 indeed seems a bit more "violent" than the other two. I haven't seen Shivers but I really like Cronenberg in general. I will check it out! It seems several of his other movies are also good potential sources for this thread (although some might fit more in the "disgusting" category).... The weird genealogical instruments in Dead Ringers for example:

I haven't actually seen Dead Ringers, perhaps I should correct the matter. BTW, I found it amusing, that all your posts are on this thread. Welcome to the CreepyGAF clan. ;)

Obed Marsh

Neo Member
I haven't actually seen Dead Ringers, perhaps I should correct the matter. BTW, I found it amusing, that all your posts are on this thread. Welcome to the CreepyGAF clan. ;)

Thank you! I just came to this thread through a google search for creepy images and found it so interesting that I registered. But I will check out the rest of the site!

Melchiah

A friend of mine took these pics when he spent a night alone in the Aokigahara forest in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara
The forest is a popular place for suicides, reportedly the most popular in Japan. Statistics vary, but what is documented is that during the period leading up to 1988, about 100 suicides occurred there every year.

In 2002, 78 bodies were found in the forest, exceeding the previous record of 74 in 1998. In 2003, the rate climbed to 100, and in recent years, the local government has stopped publicizing the numbers in an attempt to downplay Aokigahara's association with suicide. In 2004, 108 people killed themselves in the forest. In 2010, 247 people attempted suicide in the forest, 54 of whom completed the act. Suicides are said to increase during March, the end of the fiscal year in Japan. As of 2011, the most common means of suicide in the forest were hanging and drug overdoses.

The high rate of suicide has led officials to place signs in the forest, in Japanese and English, urging suicidal visitors to seek help and not kill themselves. Annual body searches have been conducted by police, volunteers, and attendant journalists since 1970.

The site's popularity has been attributed to the 1960 novel Kuroi Kaiju (Black Sea of Trees) by Seichō Matsumoto. However, the history of suicide in Aokigahara predates the novel's publication, and the place has long been associated with death: ubasute may have been practiced there into the nineteenth century, and the forest is reputedly haunted by the Yūrei (angry spirits) of those left to die.

Ubasute (lit. "abandoning an old woman", also called "obasute" and sometimes "oyasute") refers to the custom allegedly performed in Japan in the distant past[when?], whereby an infirm or elderly relative was carried to a mountain, or some other remote, desolate place, and left there to die, either by dehydration, starvation, or exposure. The practice was allegedly most common during times of drought and famine, and was sometimes mandated by feudal officials. It "is the subject of legend, but [...] does not seem ever to have been a common custom".

Ubasute has left its mark on Japanese folklore, where it forms the basis of many legends, poems, and koans. In one Buddhist allegory, a son carries his mother up a mountain on his back. During the journey, she stretches out her arms, catching the twigs and scattering them in their wake, so that her son will be able to find the way home.

A poem commemorates the story:

In the depths of the mountains,
Who was it for the aged mother snapped
One twig after another?
Heedless of herself
She did so
For the sake of her son

XRn2NSA.jpg

0pUk8dP.jpg

cjTBddr.jpg

He left some of his paintings hanging in the trees. He said, when the the night fell in the middle of the woods, he heard the melody of Beatles' Yesterday. =)

mantidor

I really like this picture, do you know any background on it? it is a religious order I know, it's been in the thread before if I'm not mistaken, but I mean this photo specifically.

Edit: I should have just googled it heh, Cuenca is the place, and it's in Spain, which was what I was more intrigued about, at first I thought it was the name of the order.

Top Bottom