• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII was a a great addition the VII universe

Great game, I haven't played it since around its release but last week I bought a copy off a gaffer and plan to replay sometime in the future. Can't wait.

Genesis is terrible, Angeal is terrible, they ruined the idea of even something as meaningless as Loveless, locations lacked any charm, plot was dumb. My review, Mew Mew Kissy Cutie 2 is neither Kissy nor Cutie. 0 stars.

openrob

I thought it was a great game - the only reason I bought a PSP.
I loved exploring a world I was familiar with in such detail. The music was amazing.
And the cut scenes, they were phenomenal

Thaedolus

I've never played the game, but I've watched some of the cut scenes and from what I'm seen...I'm not terribly excited for how the remake is going to turn out...Zack's death is cheesy as fuck. Sometimes less is more.

antitrop

I loved Crisis Core. I only take issue with Advent Children.

More of Zack's story needs to be in the Remake, for sure. It's too important to the overall story to be handled the way they did it in FF7 proper.

SOLDIER

he gives Aerith her ribbon

This was great.

It makes it more fitting that Aerith would keep the most precious heirloom from her mother inside the most precious heirloom from her boyfriend.

He names Tifa's bar

Not so much this, especially as the bar owner is perving on a then 15 year old Tifa.

Also the doubly shitty notion that Tifa was recruited into AVALANCHE because of her figure.

Zack is tied with Tifa for best FFVII character.

Boy that is a tough one.

Crisis Core had one of the best prequel jokes I had ever seen.

Remember the original intro to FFVII, where a speeding car almost hits Aerith?

You can actually talk to that guy in CC, as he talks about how he just bought "the latest model" and how he can't wait to tear up the road.

Huh?

She stops to let the bike-thing pass, no?

I loved the ending (played it in English and Japanese, bawled both times!), but I was really frustrated by other aspects of the game. The writing was really irritating, especially with when it came to so many cutscenes. So many scenes were just fluff with absolutely no momentum whatsoever, with characters just having moments of circular musing over what it means to be a bloody hero. (Square has become so guilty of complete lack of momentum plus 'concept' monologuing in their cutscenes recently, KH2 and Dissidia really have this problem as well.) I was really disappointed with Zack and Aerith, who were both really one-dimensional and irritating. I enjoyed Angeal outside of his monologuing, but Genesis is biggest offender of the circular monloging squad.The biggest disappointment of all was having the uniqueness of Sephiroth's descent into madness from the original game become a bit of an anti-climax, because Genesis and Angeal had just been through the same thing. Even worse, having one of the most iconic scenes in the game altered so Genesis could have yet another wank about being a hero... such a waste. That being said, both Sephiroth and Cloud were represented really well by the game - they were the only two characters in the bloody game that actually felt like two dimensional people. The end of the game really shows Tabata's strength as a director - he thinks outside of the box when it comes to integration of gameplay mechanics plus story. Type 0 wasn't the greatest in either story or character (annoying character archetype brigade, ahoy), but there was some clever story/gameplay integration there, too. Er, for all of this, can we just lay off the pace-destroying monologuing for the VII remake, please?

Dreamer RD

It was epic fanservice. One of the few games I cleared in Japanese before English release.
Haven't played it since 2008. Need to buy psp again.

XrtPVg7.jpg

nqT8fYj.jpg

Caf3dZJ.jpg

Sephiroth is so badass there, dat Junon Cannon fight scene.

ohn3elK.jpg

anaron

This was great.

It makes it more fitting that Aerith would keep the most precious heirloom from her mother inside the most precious heirloom from her boyfriend..
lol ew, no thanks.

Never mind the fact that she is shown in the original to be wearing various ribbons since she was a little girl, having Zack basically design her character robs her of any individuality and agency.

it's garbage extraneous writing to serve Zack from a garbage game.

SOLDIER

lol ew, no thanks.

Never mind the fact that she is shown in the original to be wearing various ribbons since she was a little girl, having Zack basically design her character robs her of any individuality and agency.

It's a keepsake from a loved one.

I suppose you hated the arm ribbons everyone wore in AC too.

Hydrus

From what I've played of it, I loved it!, But I really hope with the remake, they just reboot everything. I wanna forget about advent children.

Lynx_7

Crisis Core is harmless considering it's just Zack looking back on a romanticized version of his life through the lenses of his deathbed.

"Wouldn't it be kinda cool if Aerith dressed the way she does because of me and I shaped every single aspect of her personality and life? Her ribbons are cute, kinda wish I had given her a super special one that she'd wear forever! No, wait a minute... Oh yeah, right, I DID do all of those things! Also wasn't there a dude and he was like super cool, like a popstar? Pretty sure he was just as superduper strong as Sephiroth and had a one winged transformation. He also cited poetry and shit and I totally kicked his ass singlehandedly cause i'm the strongest SOLDIER of all! Damn that was awesome, surely it must've happened. It's a shame it had to end like this... But hey. at least I went out with a bang, eh? Shinra never saw it coming. To defeat an army of thousands of fully armed soldiers, heavy artillery, helicopters and all? Man, I really lived and died like a hero". Meanwhile he's just motionless on the ground and one of the three henchmen that had ambushed him puts a bullet in his chest and ends him for good. Cloud then proceeds to hallucinate his closest friend giving the shonen-est of speaches just to have some closure and also because he was tripping balls. So it's nice that Crisis Core showed us this side of the lore, it thematically fits with everyone in that game being mentally unstable and just fabricating memories as they go along.

Well that's my headcanon anyway.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I like just VII as VII's universe. Imagination yields the best background story details.

The way VII gradually unraveled hints about its background Zack story was actually pretty subtle for a jrpg. I don't think Zack's name is even mentioned until halfway through Disc 2.

Certainly I would never recommend someone play them chronologically. The twist in VII loses its muster if you know who Cloud is(n't).

Turin

Banned
This and DoC are the worst things to happen to VII & Square Enix

"hey let's make every single scene a nod to the original but since it's a prequel, Zack did it first!!"

Zack's Midas touch on the events of everything. He names Tifa's bar, he gives Aerith her ribbon, he tell her to wear pink, to sell flowers

and

fucking Gackt

T R A S H

I'm pretty much on the exact same page with you on this one.

I like just VII as VII's universe. Imagination yields the best background story details.

The way VII gradually unraveled hints about its background Zack story was actually pretty subtle for a jrpg. I don't think Zack's name is even mentioned until halfway through Disc 2.

Certainly I would never recommend someone play them chronologically. The twist in VII loses its muster if you know who Cloud is(n't).

Indeed. And Cloud's pre-revelation personality was more a reaction to thinking he did things that Zack did. He didn't actually absorb Zack into his persona.

Exodust

Banned
The game itself is great, the only problem I have is Genesis A.K.A. Tetsuya Nomura Self Insert A.K.A. Lamest motherfucker alive.

Angeal was cool, though.

I shed a very manly tear at that ending. I knew how it was supposed to end, but dammit, it still hit me like a train.
I enjoyed this game but never completed it (didn't play the side content), I might get back to it since FFVII remaster is coming.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wish they did a Final Fantasy VII Compilation collection ala KH Remixes. It would be nice if it includes:

- Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII HD
- Dirge of Cerberus HD
- Demo of FFVIIR

Zack falling through church roof the same way Cloud did = stopped playing immediately.
don't forget asking for a date or entering the Mako reactor on a train!!

game is straight up fanfic.
This and DoC are the worst things to happen to VII & Square Enix

"hey let's make every single scene a nod to the original but since it's a prequel, Zack did it first!!"

Zack's Midas touch on the events of everything. He names Tifa's bar, he gives Aerith her ribbon, he tell her to wear pink, to sell flowers

and

fucking Gackt

T R A S H
So you're saying Core Crisis "rhymes" like a Star Wars prequel.

The game is pure garbage imo. It is the only game that I hate SE for and I was even okay with XIII

The fact that it is somehow able to garner so much goodwill from the fanbase makes me hate it even more. To me the game has no redeeming qualities at all other than its production values.

Blobbers

The gameplay was fun, even though the mission structure was made for bite sized play sessions. The superboss was fucking awesome, and I liked some of the dungeons.

I wouldn't call any narrative aspect of the game particularly good. If one day Square asked us if we wanted the CC stuff to be removed from the canon I'd sign it first thing. Next gen brought about many new possibilities like voice acting which only amplified the badness of Square's writing. A lot of stuff just made the original Final Fantasy VII and CC so different in tone, like Crisis Core had much of that anime-y melodrama. I could've done without the Crisis Core Sephiroth, Genesis, Angeal

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The responses in this thread are about as extreme and black and white as you can get. Such a love it or hate it affair, it seems.

Widge

It's a bit like a psychic reading; every miss that it casts out you forget because of the spectacular intro, canon fight and ending.

daniels

To me it wasnt, they tried the typical imagination less animu shonen route of Villains for the "sequel".
Needing to have some comparable strong villain to Sephiroth that actually pulled the string or influneced his mind -_- right..., simply because making good villains is hard and a power upgrade is soo much easier and basically screams "look his power maybe even stronger than Sephiroth, now you like him too right RIGHT!?!" Nope not at all, sorry its at best embarrassing.

They also destroyed one of the more memorable scenes in which a dude gets mercilessly shoot down by a couple of soldiers it was simply, to the point, no music, just a depressing brutal way to die with no silver lining no music no crazy melodrama no taking a million bullets and having a dignified last speech nope just shoot and death..
To me the original was more effective but on the other hand i obviously played FF7 first so maybe thats why i didnt care much about cc ending.
Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SgvAb8W9M

I remember I borrowed a PSP specifically for this game, used to sneak it under the covers and play it after lights out.

I only knew it would be more action than TBS, but I hadn't seen any trailers or anything until I booted it up. Cutscenes were amazing and the ending got me into learning more about lore.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why isn't it on PSN?
It's licensing issues, either because of Gackt or because of the song Why, used in the ending credits. No other explanation makes sense.

Kain

Genesis though. If I ever hear the word "LOVELESS" (in caps, always in caps) ever again I'll punch a kitty in the face.

Zack was the most likeable main character in a while, maybe he still is. Such a cool dude, it's a shame his legacy was tainted by emo-Cloud in the compilation. I hope they don't butcher the remake by still clinging on to emo-Cloud. Cloud was not emo in the original game, Nomura, have you forgotten? Ugh.

Hopeford

I actually played Crisis Core before I played VII and loved it a lot. I have no idea about how it affected canon or whatnot because I sincerely had no idea about any of that when going into the game.

And I enjoyed it a lot. Zack was a likable protagonist, the deaths had a lot of impact and the ending(appropriately) felt like the end of a chapter as opposed to the end of a series. It was an end that still got me perfectly excited for the world they were setting up and everything.

Don't really care about what it did to FF VII canon or whatever, to me it stood its own as a really fun and emotional game.

...Also makes me realize that I'm a hypocrite for not understanding why the Aerith dying thing got to so many people because I remember being 14 and behaving like a little baby at the end of Crisis Core haha.

People here always hate on Gackt whenever CC comes up, but it's not like he wrote the character himself. Blame SE for that. Anyways, CC is definitely the best part of the compilation and I'm glad it exists, even if they fucked with the lore/story a bit.

I think Zack is probably my favourite FF protagonist.

kromeo

I only managed to get about half way through, just found the gameplay extremely boring. Im no massive fan of ffvii though so the story connection wasn't enough to drag me through

Top Bottom