• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII was a a great addition the VII universe

saturnine

I disagree. It's dumb and it lacks the spirit of FFVII. Still better than fucking DoC.

Crisis Core is harmless considering it's just Zack looking back on a romanticized version of his life through the lenses of his deathbed.

"Wouldn't it be kinda cool if Aerith dressed the way she does because of me and I shaped every single aspect of her personality and life? Her ribbons are cute, kinda wish I had given her a super special one that she'd wear forever! No, wait a minute... Oh yeah, right, I DID do all of those things! Also wasn't there a dude and he was like super cool, like a popstar? Pretty sure he was just as superduper strong as Sephiroth and had a one winged transformation. He also cited poetry and shit and I totally kicked his ass singlehandedly cause i'm the strongest SOLDIER of all! Damn that was awesome, surely it must've happened. It's a shame it had to end like this... But hey. at least I went out with a bang, eh? Shinra never saw it coming. To defeat an army of thousands of fully armed soldiers, heavy artillery, helicopters and all? Man, I really lived and died like a hero". Meanwhile he's just motionless on the ground and one of the three henchmen that had ambushed him puts a bullet in his chest and ends him for good. Cloud then proceeds to hallucinate his closest friend giving the shonen-est of speaches just to have some closure and also because he was tripping balls. So it's nice that Crisis Core showed us this side of the lore, it thematically fits with everyone in that game being mentally unstable and just fabricating memories as they go along.

Well that's my headcanon anyway.

...you know what, I'm gonna go with that too from now on. Crisis Core looks like a fanfic because it's actually a fanfic.

The only knowledge I had of FFVII before this game were the characters in Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. So all I knew was that Cloud was cool, Sephiroth was cool, and that there was some guy named Zack.

Since Crisis Core was my real intro to the FFVII world, I had a different experience than those who knew the back story already. During my playthrough, I really got attached to Zack and his personality. I was constantly intimidated by Sephiroth even as a good guy and I cheered when Cloud showed up. I don't think I understood 100% of the events and terminology used in the game, but I think I made it by ok.

It was also my intro to most FF mainstays, like chocobos,cactuar, and Bahamut so I was caught up in how much stuff was in the game.

Anyway, by the time I got to the end of the game, I had no knowledge of what happened to Zack. I put everything into that last sequence, knowing that I could make it.

Then I didn't, and I actually cried because of a video game for the first time.

So 9/10, bring Cissnei back for FFVII remake.

Exodust

Banned
The only knowledge I had of FFVII before this game were the characters in Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children. So all I knew was that Cloud was cool, Sephiroth was cool, and that there was some guy named Zack.

Since Crisis Core was my real intro to the FFVII world, I had a different experience than those who knew the back story already. During my playthrough, I really got attached to Zack and his personality. I was constantly intimidated by Sephiroth even as a good guy and I cheered when Cloud showed up. I don't think I understood 100% of the events and terminology used in the game, but I think I made it by ok.

It was also my intro to most FF mainstays, like chocobos,cactuar, and Bahamut so I was caught up in how much stuff was in the game.

Anyway, by the time I got to the end of the game, I had no knowledge of what happened to Zack. I put everything into that last sequence, knowing that I could make it.

KeyBladerXIII
Crysis Core
(Today, 03:07 PM)

Was one of the few games that followed the ff7 saga that was actually good. Hope they use parts of the game in the ff7 remake. Either as separate episodes or a dream like episode.

Asd202

I disagree I really didn't like what they did to the overall story. I also hated the FMV combat scenes they absolutly make no sense in the original FF VII world and are far too much like AC. If CC was more "grounded" like FF VII instead of being more like AC I think I would like it.

Monocle

In have such warm memories of this game. It hit all the right notes for me and left a lasting impression. Everything from the characterization to the combat system is better than it has any right to be. I still listen to the fantastic soundtrack.

I'm so hyped that key Crisis Core devs are involved in FFXV. That alone practically guarantees it'll be the best FF entry since XII.

PaulBizkit

I also loved the little epilogue they tacked on of what I assume was the PS3 tech demo.

That final scene was awesome.
After all the emotion from the final battle and the aftermath. We get to see the very first part of the Sector 8 attack, Cloud jumps off the train, we see him and the main title appears with "To be continued on Final Fantasy 7" and I was like daaaaaamn!!

I loved how CC expanded on the classic truck scene to show us how it all went down.

I love this game, it was 70% of the reason i bought a PSP. Genesis is the only bad thing about this game and the dumb roulette is unnecessary. Apart from that, this is a solid game that expanded successfully the FFVII lore. I hope SE includes CC inside the FF remake.

antitrop

So, did you ever play Final Fantasy VII, then?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I played it late last year and it ended up being a lot better than I thought it would be. Genesis rambled quite a bit but I found the game very enjoyable. Zack was very easy to relate to and the gameplay was fun as well. The music was also good and for a psp game the graphics were great. It was cool seeing Sephiroth as a good guy for a while lol.

Krejlooc

Banned
probably the best of the compilation of FFVII project. I really enjoyed it, and how it didn't butcher any of the characters, but I didn't dig the gameplay that much. I found myself wishing it was just a normal JRPG like FFVII.

Still, I really liked the game in the end.

Beautiful game, and also my second PSP game.

Hopefully it gets remastered so more people get to experience it

You mean like this?

19341368368_279b2220fd_o_d.jpg

ZenTzen

Crisis Core is harmless considering it's just Zack looking back on a romanticized version of his life through the lenses of his deathbed.

"Wouldn't it be kinda cool if Aerith dressed the way she does because of me and I shaped every single aspect of her personality and life? Her ribbons are cute, kinda wish I had given her a super special one that she'd wear forever! No, wait a minute... Oh yeah, right, I DID do all of those things! Also wasn't there a dude and he was like super cool, like a popstar? Pretty sure he was just as superduper strong as Sephiroth and had a one winged transformation. He also cited poetry and shit and I totally kicked his ass singlehandedly cause i'm the strongest SOLDIER of all! Damn that was awesome, surely it must've happened. It's a shame it had to end like this... But hey. at least I went out with a bang, eh? Shinra never saw it coming. To defeat an army of thousands of fully armed soldiers, heavy artillery, helicopters and all? Man, I really lived and died like a hero". Meanwhile he's just motionless on the ground and one of the three henchmen that had ambushed him puts a bullet in his chest and ends him for good. Cloud then proceeds to hallucinate his closest friend giving the shonen-est of speaches just to have some closure and also because he was tripping balls. So it's nice that Crisis Core showed us this side of the lore, it thematically fits with everyone in that game being mentally unstable and just fabricating memories as they go along.

Well that's my headcanon anyway.

if only

one things for certain, the fanfic tier writing is strong in this game

To me it wasnt, they tried the typical imagination less animu shonen route of Villains for the "sequel".
Needing to have some comparable strong villain to Sephiroth that actually pulled the string or influneced his mind -_- right..., simply because making good villains is hard and a power upgrade is soo much easier and basically screams "look his power maybe even stronger than Sephiroth, now you like him too right RIGHT!?!" Nope not at all, sorry its at best embarrassing.

They also destroyed one of the more memorable scenes in which a dude gets mercilessly shoot down by a couple of soldiers it was simply, to the point, no music, just a depressing brutal way to die with no silver lining no music no crazy melodrama no taking a million bullets and having a dignified last speech nope just shoot and death..
To me the original was more effective but on the other hand i obviously played FF7 first so maybe thats why i didnt care much about cc ending.
Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SgvAb8W9M

pretty much the same stance i have on CC, they pretty much ruined zacks death and the message and themes that sakaguchi tried to present in the original FF7 with that crappy shounen, moviesque death scene, when the whole point of the deaths in VII was to move away from stuff like that

i just hope that for the remake, with nomura being one of the original writers of FF7s story along with sakaguchi, and him being director now, they dont ruin his death with CC bull in the remake

Top Bottom