• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

I mean, yeah, that's exactly what it is. I'm not saying he didn't say those or that those statements aren't him being a tool, but every single one of those quotes are snippets of an interview that is pretty much taking all of the context out of every single statement. Do you really think that literally everything he says makes him sound like a massive tool based on this "gotcha!" video?

Some of the things aren't even him being a tool, just attempts at him trying to be framed as contradictory, some examples in the video work whereas others just seem to fall flat.

It just seems strange to me that one would see these clearly cherry picked examples and just assume the person is like that everywhere else, even when he's not just doing PR for his game.

Sorry, there's no context where claiming your game is more adult than the competition's because it's less colorful, or walking to a publisher and plainly stating you want to make a billion dollar franchise, or using the age-old "overwatch is anime" diss DOESN'T make you look like a tool.

Budi

Sorry, there's no context where claiming your game is more adult than the competition's because it's less colorful, or walking to a publisher and plainly stating you want to make a billion dollar franchise, or using the age-old "overwatch is anime" diss DOESN'T make you look like a tool.
Adressing the differences in art style doesn't make anyone a tool, taking it as a diss makes someone a tool. It's the same shit when people say "Overwatch is more casual shooter" and people jump on the speakers throat "Did you just call me a filthy casual?" Just like Nintendo games are very colorfoul and family friendly, doesn't mean only kids can enjoy them. There are people who dismiss Nintendo games as "kiddie games" and that's one of the edgiest hot takes one can take regarding games. But Cliff doesn't say the game is bad or stupid because of the artstyle, just that he prefers different vibe and they are going for that direction. And Overwatch definitely attracts anime crowd, who do you think is doing all the shipping of the characters? And that's absolutely fine that it does. I'm aware that anime fans have bad rep of being perverts and alt-right. But not all of them obviously are, it would be unfair judgement of big and diverse group of people. So I really don't think we should be taking "being anime" as an insult.

I feel like you totally missed my point.

Does cherry picking examples of him saying things that make him look like a tool and essentially putting them into a compilation video mean that he's like that all the time? Or does it mean that in this video he's being represented as saying a fraction of toolish things over the course of what, two years?

I just think it's ridiculous to actually think he always says things that make him sound like a tool based on this video. Like, yeah, he does say things that make him sound like a tool, but it's definitely not all the time. Some of the stuff he has talked about during the development of Lawbreakers (talking about character movespeed, not wanting crossplay, why they don't have any stuns or hard CC) is pretty interesting and not inflammatory at all. Do you know why those aren't included? It's because they don't fit the narrative of the video. It's fine to not include them, but it's also kind of weak to draw any conclusions about somebody as a whole based on a specific narrative that the video editor is choosing to go for and purposely including only clips that adhere to that narrative.

Also, I'm not sure why somebody saying OW is "skewed toward an anime-fan type vibe" is offensive or even dickish. It's not a sentiment that I agree with, but even when he says something like that, it's not inherently a bad thing to skew towards. Even in the clip that the video editor used, he doesn't sound like he's putting Overwatch down at all.

DNAbro

This made me feel really bad for LawBreakers. I mean it looks fun but at the same time I don't really care enough to even touch it. Plus it selling bad = no playerbase = I don't want to risk buying it and not have anyone to play with.

KAP151

Lower than battleborn numbers isnt good.. at all.

I must admit. I completely forgot about this, let alone knew it was even out.

J_Viper

1503538192038.png

Lo_Fi

This is my interpretation, so help me out here, Lo_Fi:
So getting miffed about comparisons and saying "Game X had no influence on our game (Game Y)", then turning around and saying "I'm glad we can look at Game X and, in turn, make Game Y different", ultimately leading to a game that actually isn't that much different, is just 'game developer language'? I don't understand.

"We started working on everything we do with this game before we even saw anything on Overwatch"

"We're happy games like Overwatch are out there so we can look at them and say 'Let's not go in that direction'"

^Do we know when these were said? It's very possible the first one was said before they played Overwatch/before it came out, the 2nd thing could have been said later, after Overwatch came out or they got around to playing it.

Besides, both pretty much say "we don't want to be like Overwatch".

Sayad

I feel like you totally missed my point.

Does cherry picking examples of him saying things that make him look like a tool and essentially putting them into a compilation video mean that he's like that all the time? Or does it mean that in this video he's being represented as saying a fraction of toolish things over the course of what, two years?
He could have just made a 10 minute video compilation of un-edited interviews to the same effect, tbh. But who would watch that?!

Free 2 play. None of that 30 dollar multiplayer only bullshit.

lol. I still dont see the angle he was going for by saying 60 dollars is bullshit for multiplayer only games. I dont remember anyone complaining about overwatch or rainbow 6 being bullshit. People were just happy to play/buy them and now they are huge games. Gamers dont actually care how much a shooter cost. Wether its free, $30 or $60, people just put hours into really well designed games with interesting worlds. Price and review scores dont matter anymore in gaming.

PUBG is the same price as lawbreakers and no one cares. And that game looks super budget and is featureless compared to lawbreakers. I just find this whole thing fascinating. Which games fail and which succeed nowadays.

Budi

lol. I still dont see the angle he was going for by saying 60 dollars is bullshit for multiplayer only games. I dont remember anyone complaining about overwatch or rainbow 6 being bullshit. People were just happy to play/buy them and now they are huge games. Gamers dont actually care how much a shooter cost. Wether its free, $30 or $60, people just put hours into really well designed games with interesting worlds. Price and review scores dont matter anymore in gaming.

PUBG is the same price as lawbreakers and no one cares. And that game looks super budget and is featureless compared to lawbreakers. I just find this whole thing fascinating. Which games fail and which succeed nowadays.
Huh you don't? How about Battlefront? And add the complaints about microtransactions in a full priced game.

Edit: Well for Overwatch, yeah it mostly gets a pass for anything it does. But Rainbow Six was treated way more harshly and so was Battlefront.

Budi

Did that game stick in terms of players? I actually dont know. I vaguely remember people just saying its boring.
I think Battlefront sold really well, obviously for being a Star Wars game and quite a looker! I don't know how it retained it's players though. But it definitely got criticized for it's value proposition as did Rainbow Six.

Edit: And Titanfall.

Am I wrong in thinking the gameplay from the videos looks great, but that most of us haven't seen much of anything related to Lawbreakers /before/ this video?

Was there an advertising campaign at all?

I had no idea that LawBreakers was like Overwatch before I watched that video, I thought it was like some 2D shooter or whatever.

Super weird

What is the back story to this Kings meme?

Had to Google it because why not. Not sure what's happening with the controversy but I'd love to know where was this used in AC (if it is indeed about AC).

The meme is basically someone posting a video on YouTube and sharing it with 4chan saying Black people used to dominate and/or rule Egyptian population. "we wuz kangs/Kings" mean that We (as in black people) used to rule Egypt (thus, kings).

I don't know, something like that?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Had to Google it because why not. Not sure what's happening with the controversy but I'd love to know where was this used in AC (if it is indeed about AC).

The meme is basically someone posting a video on YouTube and sharing it with 4chan saying Black people used to dominate and/or rule Egyptian population. "we wuz kangs/Kings" mean that We (as in black people) used to rule Egypt (thus, kings).

I don't know, something like that?
Basically any depiction of dark skinned people in power gets spammed with this shit and Crowbcat used it in his e3 video.

Scoops312

Banned
One of the replies is "that's what they get for fucking with history." The main character is Nubian FFS, assassinations, parkour, mystical connections with eagles, all of that sit is A-ok but this people are outraged by brown skin. Fuck these people.

I don't get it, what's the argument? That Egyptians were white?

Staf

I wonder what CrowbCats next video will be. Maybe Agents of mayham? That game does not seem to do too well...

border

I imagine someone else noted that Cliffy says "I want to make the next Billion Dollar IP". Which is funny considering that Epic sold the Gears of War IP to Microsoft for 100 million dollars. Not quite a billion.

PaulBizkit

Amazing, fun video, as always.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I couldn't imagine wearing a shirt anywhere with a big expletive printed on it.

In my (spanish-speaking) country, people wear t-shirts with words/sentences but in english (cuz it looks cool), never in our own language.

Budi

Am I wrong in thinking the gameplay from the videos looks great, but that most of us haven't seen much of anything related to Lawbreakers /before/ this video?

Was there an advertising campaign at all?
You are not wrong, it not only looks great but feels great. I'm not really the expert to talk about marketing but I think they heavily relied on Youtubers/Streamers and more traditional means were left on the backside. Didn't obviously work so well. Many people were even put off by the Twitch streamer push. And people ran with the "Overwatch is more anime-ish" comparison so it drowned everything else that sets the game apart from it's many competitors, so it really didn't become clear to people unless you actually paid attention to the game already.

Top Bottom