• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

Rymuth

To be fair, if someone just tweeted 'sold out' to me, I wouldn't know if it was about me, the game, the event, him/herself, or something else. Cliffy made a bad assumption but it was in response to a bad tweet.

Counter-argument: It's 'sell out', not 'sold out'

Cliffy has no leg to stand on in that exchange.

OG Loc

I don't really like the waving away of a hateful, racist meme as "a bad joke."

It's not "shoop da whoop." It's an obscure /pol/ meme that would more or less require you to run in those circles to feel comfortable using.

mrqs

OhZVPQ6.jpg

Damn, this is gold.

Budi

You can go away with that shit patronizing tone.
How can you be soooo close timestamp wise, and still miss it? After mentioning races and genders on both sides in "positive tone", he said he was ok with them being diverse but not "annoyingly diverse" (as if that was a thing), and all of this diverse casting was the doing of corporate Disney, and the Star Wars of old was "immune to whole race and gender thing", "No one cares about diversity except those who were obsessed with it.". Mike shits on the desire for fictional role model or representation, and he does it again in Wonder Woman's review. Sure he may think white supremacists and MRA ridiculous, but he's entirely incapable of viewing the world in a different perspective other than his white male privilege.
Yeah I'm not denying that the review uses "forced" diversity as one of the aspects to highlight how the film is made by a committee (it is and it shows). Personally I'm fine with this kind of committee, since it's about time that Hollywood fixes some of these issues it has for so long overlooked. But you act like his perspective would be malicious or hateful, it's not. It's short sighted, narrow and even naive. No need to get so worked up over it and trying to use it as somekind of weapon against people who enjoy the content, like you just did by pointing out the avatar. Mike isn't actively fighting against progress and wanting to discriminate people, but as you said he does come with white male priviledge. But he isn't AGAINST diversity. But let's drop this here since it really doesn't belong into this thread, I partly agree with you. But I'd wish you aimed your anger to more deserving targets. You aren't just criticising him (which would be fair), it comes off as a despise and makes you treat other people who like him unfairly too.

Edit: For your quote about being annoyingly diverse, he does say that it's not that. Which is quite a feat considering how calculated and deliberate (which is fine imo) the diversity was. He comes from the personal white male perspective "doesn't matter to me". He is wrong when he says that many kids don't want and need role models in fiction that represent them.

Btw since we are on this topic, big compliments once again for Lawbreakers having great balance of sexes and ethnically diverse cast. Even gender fluid bathrooms, they have those at their studio too!

OG Loc

When I read this thread it makes Flat Earthers make sense. People have nothing better to do in their life than to make up an issue to argue about. It's the trolling evolution.

Wait.

Who's making up an issue? Are you telling me ol boy didn't use a racist ass meme? Did we all misunderstand or something?

Or is the racist meme not an issue?

I feel like whatever discussion that could be had about this game is overshadowed by nagging arguments of Crowbcat's blatantly racist joke and the schadenfreude of seeing Cliffy have his game fail.

ZeoVGM

Banned
When I read this thread it makes Flat Earthers make sense. People have nothing better to do in their life than to make up an issue to argue about. It's the trolling evolution.

Did he or did he not use a very obscure racist meme in a recent video?

EL CUCO

How long before it becomes F2P. I kind of want to try it
Buy the game. Refund if you dont like it (Assuming you're on PC). I'm sure there will be free weekends eventually, but a dev said on GAF its not going to be F2P. Game is a blast tho. If you enjoy FPS, it deserves an honest shot.

Budi

I feel like whatever discussion that could be had about this game is overshadowed by nagging arguments of Crowbcat's blatantly racist joke and the schadenfreude of seeing Cliffy have his game fail.
I've been trying =/ I've pointed out the misconceptions about the quotes by Cliff and tried to add context to them. But I don't think many even come back and read them when they already got to share their dislike of a person and enjoy the commercial failings of the game.

Fury451

Banned
I take back what said about you Cliff, I'm sorry.

Guy with avatar of a show that has negative stance on diversity in movies, hmm, checks out.

Clearly you're not familiar with their work that doesn't fit this narrative, like The Force Awakens where Finn and Rey should've been a romantic couple.

Because they argue against studio mandated and unnatural diversity for the sake of selling tickets. They frequently argue that diversity should be included, but not as a shallow and meaningless corporate move to make money.

People don't just come across that meme, and use it. It wasn't a meme co-opted by white supremacist like Pepe, it was racist in its inception.
not gonna lie when i came across it on reddit and saw it for the first time i chuckled. i really don't think its as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. i understand where your coming from but your acting like he purposely put that in there to say to the world "hey im a white supremacist, blacks are under me!"

arimanius

Not sure why people see the need to pile on. Specially when most people who've played the game say it's a blast. I'm having a great time with the game and it's a nice change of pace from Overwatch and PuBG for me.

LKSmash

Not sure either of those should be surprising really. Racism is once again at the forefront of American consciousness and a lot of people on here love to mock the failures of others.

LKSmash

not gonna lie when i came across it on reddit and saw it for the first time i chuckled. i really don't think its as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. i understand where your coming from but your acting like he purposely put that in there to say to the world "hey im a white supremacist, blacks are under me!"

Everyone can go home guys. It's funny to him/not a big deal so no way would anyone use it in a negative connotation. Close the thread.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Idiot uses horrible racism as a joke.

We respond: Fuck this clown.

Enlightened people must speak out: Hey now! Don't attack that's not nice the world's not that simple don't keep bringing it up both sides anyway blahblahblah.....

We respond: Get a grip.

Enlightened people nod with satisfaction: So much for the tolerant left.

Apparently this cycle continues until the end of time.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This video got me to play battleborne after over a half a year, man I like that game.

People don't just come across that meme, and use it. It wasn't a meme co-opted by white supremacist like Pepe, it was racist in its inception.

The meme has been used in some really disgusting circles, sure, but it doesn't immediately come across as "this is something that Nazis and racists use to make fun of BLM."

If anything, it seems like a jab at Hoteps.

Ban Puncher

Enlightened people must speak out: Hey now! Don't attack that's not nice the world's not that simple don't keep bringing it up both sides anyway blahblahblah.....

https://www.fanfiction.net/

Does it matter if his intent was just super edgy joke? Pewdiepie said he was joking, but end result is still people having fun with a sign that promotes genocide against the Jewish people. Hate still gets perpetuated.
Right? We're talking about a group that criticizes The Force Awakens for not having an interracial kiss, but they're racists?

Ohh Kay

Looks like this thread went full ReGaf I guess.
It's almost like *gasp*, it wasn't what it was about. Learn to read. Nice dodge with the R word.
The meme has been used in some really disgusting circles, sure, but it doesn't immediately come across as "this is something that could be used to make fun of BLM."

If anything, it seems like a jab at Hoteps.
It certainly was derived from the Hoteps, but I'm pretty sure people didn't stop at them.

Not sure either of those should be surprising really. Racism is once again at the forefront of American consciousness and a lot of people on here love to mock the failures of others.
I am surprised because it shouldn't be an argument. Crowbcat made a racist joke in a previous video, and fans popping in to support him should only be reminded ("Hey, he actually made a racist joke [here] fyi. It sucks and maybe you shouldnt watch him anymore but lets keep talking about lawbreakers"). Anything else is straying off the topic of the video and half the thread title, and that topic should be the discussion drawing people into this thread. Instead, people are popping in voicing the pleasure from seeing Cliffy and his team have their career take a hit and getting hung up on people who just can't seem to understand that Crowbcat was racist. All of that is youtube and 4chan tier commentary.

Much discussion is to be had about racism in America, but not in the context of this thread.

Because they argue against studio mandated and unnatural diversity for the sake of selling tickets. They frequently argue that diversity should be included, but not as a shallow and meaningless corporate move to make money.
Look, I like RLM but this makes no sense. Especially since they pointed out the new spider-man movie's high school as being unrealistically diverse despite being in NYC where that's the norm.

Yukinari

Been a treasure since his first videos, one racist meme doesn't change the countless hours of entertainment

People on this forum continue to watch Grumps even past the Jon era and have no problem with the crude shit that comes out of Arin or Dan's mouth on that show.

Hell i still watch the episodes with Jon because they make me laugh just like Crowbcat does.

And i dont want to see a developer fail but Cliffy sets himself up for it much like Randy.

I am surprised because it shouldn't be an argument. Crowbcat made a racist joke in a previous video, and fans popping in to support him should only be reminded ("Hey, he actually made a racist joke [here] fyi. It sucks and maybe you shouldnt watch him anymore but lets keep talking about lawbreakers"). Anything else is straying off the topic of the video and half the thread title, and that topic should be the discussion drawing people into this thread. Instead, people are popping in voicing the pleasure from seeing Cliffy and his team have their career take a hit and getting hung up on people who just can't seem to understand that Crowbcat was racist. All of that is youtube and 4chan tier commentary.

Much discussion is to be had about racism in America, but not in the context of this thread.

This could have been a discussion about lawbreakers ..but i guess that subject is not enough to gather attention.

Damn you overwatch !!!

This could have been a discussion about lawbreakers ..but i guess that subject is not enough to gather attention.

Damn you overwatch !!!
I guess the thread ran it's course quickly and can now spiral out of control with RLM, low effort replies, twitter screencaps, and lots of notice that there was racism on this guy's channel!

I'd post a this is neogaf gif but I don't have one saved.

PnCIa

Last time i clicked on this thread it had roughly 10 posts. I skipped through the video because i did not find the first minute that much fun. Actually its sad that a quality game can fail so hard.

Fast forward, i come back here and its about racism now. From what i can tell, the "joke" was in a video about the new AC? Did not see this one yet.

Gold_Loot

Look, I like RLM but this makes no sense.
What they're trying to say is, have diversity, it's a good thing to have in your media. But, have it because you want to have it. Don't use it as an advertisement like Disney did and pat yourselves on the back saying "look how diverse we are!"

Put it in your media, and let your viewers consume it naturally.

Budi

Last time i clicked on this thread it had roughly 10 posts. I skipped through the video because i did not find the first minute that much fun. Actually its sad that a quality game can fail so hard.

Fast forward, i come back here and its about racism now. From what i can tell, the "joke" was in a video about the new AC? Did not see this one yet.
Well we all know that commercial success often has no correlation with the quality of art/entertainment product. This goes for all mediums. It's unfortunate and what people can do is to support those projects they feel are worth it. Sadly not many seem to think that LB is worth giving that chance. I definitely did and have been very happy with my purchase.

Marcel

A playwright worthy of Tennessee Williams or a Moviebob-tier demonstrative post? You decide.

The early betas did nothing for me with lawbreakers, it was hard to get into and I was trying to learn how to do things while being spawn camped, I did give it my best attempt.

You can roll things together and say overwatch and destiny are squishing lawbreakers a bit too much but at the same time the game felt like a UT2003 release, it was new and exciting but nothing about it is pulling me away from what I have.

E92 M3

He isn't entirely wrong though

If I was a dev, I would surely not read Neogaf, because some of the comments would depress the hell out of me. Its something to read constructive criticism, but its entirely another thing to read just baseless shitting of your game

How can this forum a great place for devs when people actively cheer for good games to fail because they don't like something someone said? It doesn't matter if Cliff is "controversial" he started a studio and employed a lot of people.

LawBreakers is one hell of a shooter - I think everything will turn out ok.

Gator86

I guess the thread ran it's course quickly and can now spiral out of control with RLM, low effort replies, twitter screencaps, and lots of notice that there was racism on this guy's channel!

I'd post a this is neogaf gif but I don't have one saved.

Turns out lots of people care about racism and very few care about Lawbreakers.

It's super weird how Law Breakers seemed to want to differentiate itself, but it's marketing basically consisted of super generic "this game? its got graphics. and, dude, gameplay? intense, its intense" stuff. You can throw it's marketing campaign on almost any AAA title and get the same weak results

Budi

The early betas did nothing for me with lawbreakers, it was hard to get into and I was trying to learn how to do things while being spawn camped, I did give it my best attempt.

You can roll things together and say overwatch and destiny are squishing lawbreakers a bit too much but at the same time the game felt like a UT2003 release, it was new and exciting but nothing about it is pulling me away from what I have.
Yeah closed beta did the same for me, I was going to pass. I had no idea what I was doing, or what I was supposed to do. Even less I understood what was happening around me, hardly even knew who I should try to shoot. But in the last day of open beta I decided to give it another chance. And I'm glad I did, played as much as I could. Started to get hang of the game, still plenty to learn even with the released version though. And spawn camping isn't a thing anymore. Spawn points are shielded and you can only shoot out, not in. And might be that they didn't have skill based matchmaking enabled at that moment.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
A playwright worthy of Tennessee Williams or a Moviebob-tier demonstrative post? You decide.

Or maybe just a dig at the people predictably sweeping aside/defending racism.

And I've no idea what moviebob is by the way.

I've never been a fan of CrowbCat. Dude just thrives off of negativity. Pretty much every one of his videos are negatively slanted or putting things or others down. Not the vibes I'm down with.

I haven't played LawBreakers, but I know it's gotten great reviews. Feel bad for the devs.

EDIT - Oh he makes racist jokes too? Can't say I'm shocked.

Top Bottom