• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat - LawBreakers in an oversaturated market

Man CrowbCat's shtick got old real fast huh

I don't even know if he has a shtick is the thing. He compiles videos, images and articles from various places and puts it into a video. As others have said usually they are negative in nature or if he is out to "expose" something. Other people could do this just that he (maybe people send him stuff) goes out of his way to compile this. I look at these videos not even for laughs most of the time, I don't watch the E3 cringe videos that GAF seemed to love because well it's not really that funny to me. People are suddenly complaining about stuff being negative but, seemed fine with all his "funny" videos of people embarrassing themselves at E3 or something. Videos like this I watch because I just kinda want to know "What the hell happened to X game?" and it's convenient when it's in a video like this.

As for the whole racist thing, I don't know if the dude is actually racist or if he just used some memes, he obviously goes to places like 4chan but, I can't make opinions of the dude, never heard or seen anything he himself actually said. I know he used some meme that offended some people (not sure what video this was.) though.

EDIT: Also his humor has always been like 4chan level stuff, why are people suddenly bothered by it now?
EDIT 2: I was told from a friend what the actual thing he posted was in a video I didn't see. Yeah that's pretty fucked.

The fuck? :p

Really though, I am sad that Overwatch just grabbed everyone and now "NOTHING ELSE MAY EXIST!" to people. I think Lawbreakers filled it own niche of being this for people who are fans of the Quake or Unreal Tournament type of fast-paced games. Those are not many of nowadays.

Or how OW basically made everyone forget that there were other class based hero shooters before it.

I mean... "OW looks like TF2 but with waifu" was the thing before OW released.

"Please don't remind me that the creator of this video uses racist memes from alt-right/White Supremacy-communities to be funny, this has nothing to do with it!"

Yes, it does. If you link yourself to racist shitbags for comedic purposes (and never even attempt to apologize or take it back) then people will continue to link you to racist shitbags.

Yes but why does every thread have to get derailed into it? What's the goddamn point of everyone just saying the same shit, that he is racist and terrible et cetera. It's not a discussion, it's mindless jerking. Or does person #125 really have anything more to add to the discussion by stating that he is racist?

If the community here has a problem with him, just ban his videos from being posted here, or make it a rule that his presumed political views should be revealed in the beginning of the post. If someone sees a disclaimer that he is racist, he is free not to give any clicks to him. Simple as that.

This video in question has nothing to do with the previous meme and can be evaluated on its own merit, unless you think one racist meme somehow encapsulates the very being of him, so that everything he produces is tainted by it and shouldn't be worth looking. Yet you still haven't shown why that's the case with this Lawbreakers video.

"We started working on everything we do with this game before we even saw anything on Overwatch"

"We're happy games like Overwatch are out there so we can look at them and say 'Let's not go in that direction'"

Oyyy. CliffyB took a beating in this video.

"We started working on everything we do with this game before we even saw anything on Overwatch"

"We're happy games like Overwatch are out there so we can look at them and say 'Let's not go in that direction'"

Oyyy. CliffyB took a beating in this video.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both of those statements can be true at the same time, right?

Lo_Fi

Lots of post in this thread saying that Cliffy both
1) Insulted fans of his previous work.
2) Insulted games that were his competitors.

Can someone link me to these? Because I honestly googled them and couldn't find either one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he visited Blizzard studios months before any of his gameplay was shown off. If you go back into the Twitch streams he even talked about them putting up black tarps around Blizzard's office at night.

I am not trying to throw **** into the mix here, but I only know about the black tarps at night because of him.

He even talked about their NDA.

He's even got to play Borderlands before it was even announced IIRC. I'm not saying 1 = 1 here. I'm just stating what I remember

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both of those statements can be true at the same time, right?

I feel they could both be correct if Cliffy didn't appear so offended by the easy comparison between the two games. On their own each comment can be true, but plopped down next to each other it just looks bad. CrowbCat's intention, I presume. :p

Lo_Fi

Yeah. Seriously, game developers and players speak completely different languages. Those 2 quotes should not be controversial or mutually exclusive in any way at all.

I feel they could both be correct if Cliffy didn't appear so offended by the easy comparison between the two games. On their own each comment can be true, but plopped down next to each other it just looks bad. CrowbCat's intention, I presume. :p

I know Cliff can be a dick at times, but I imagine it's pretty frustrating for a developer (even other BK employees, not just cliff)when people just make really surface level comparisons that don't actually hold up when one plays the actual game for even just a little bit.

I think it's the marketing teams job to do their best to get rid of those comparisons during the conversation, and I don't think they did a great job at that.

Yeah. Seriously, game developers and players speak completely different languages. Those 2 quotes should not be controversial or mutually exclusive in any way at all.

This is my interpretation, so help me out here, Lo_Fi:
So getting miffed about comparisons and saying "Game X had no influence on our game (Game Y)", then turning around and saying "I'm glad we can look at Game X and, in turn, make Game Y different", ultimately leading to a game that actually isn't that much different, is just 'game developer language'? I don't understand.

This is my interpretation, so help me out here, Lo_Fi:
So getting miffed about comparisons and saying "Game X had no influence on our game (Game Y)", then turning around and saying "I'm glad we can look at Game X and, in turn, make Game Y different", ultimately leading to a game that actually isn't that much different, is just 'game developer language'? I don't understand.

It is comparable in that sense but it wasn't too notable for me since (more specifically) the comments were "we didn't copy overwatch" vs "we are trying not to copy overwatch".

Ban Puncher

"What do we say to gravity?!"

*holds mic to crowd*

"FUCK YOU!"

le cringe

e1iRZ.gif

Gator86

Yeah, racism is a topic that can dominate conversation. Going off-topic and into racism is better suited for another thread. Fuck off.

YouMad.jpg

Although I can't tell if it's because Lawbreakers bombed or because you think discussing Crow's use of racist memes in other videos is out of bounds for discussion regarding his current one.

WoolyNinja

I think my biggest question about games like LawBreakers is how do the people working on it not see its going to flop and cut their losses. You could see the writing on the wall almost a year ago that this game wasn't going to do very well and so instead of wasting hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars why not just stop, regroup and try something new?

I think my biggest question about games like LawBreakers is how do the people working on it not see its going to flop and cut their losses. You could see the writing on the wall almost a year ago that this game wasn't going to do very well and so instead of wasting hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars why not just stop, regroup and try something new?

I'm assuming by the time they realized that the game wasn't going to do well they figured they may as well release something and recoup some of that investment back.

Mooreberg

This thread is now about racism I guess. :/

Anyway I feel bad for Cliddy he might come off as brash but the dude really did want to make a great game that people seem to just ignore.
Price screen cap are in Euros... is anyone even sure the guy is American?

And wow @ Brink vs. Lawbreakers numbers. I am not inherently in favor of everything going F2P, but in this case...

Wait, RLM said that? Timestamp? That's pretty embarrassing.
I don't have it, just heard from others on here.
What they're trying to say is, have diversity, it's a good thing to have in your media. But, have it because you want to have it. Don't use it as an advertisement like Disney did and pat yourselves on the back saying "look how diverse we are!"

Put it in your media, and let your viewers consume it naturally.
Yeah that makes no sense and neither does the scenario in your post.

They made a joke that the high school was so diverse that it would make colleges blush.

It was a one off joke at the beginning as they're giving the basic synopsis before the review, and considering they live in what likely is a not very diverse city I can't blame them for not realizing that huge diversity does exist in high schools and that it's not just white people with minorities here and there.

Gold_Loot

What doesn't make sense. Elaborate please.

As far as the Homecoming review. The quote. "Spider-Man goes to a high school so diverse, it makes college pamphlets jealous." Is not a racist joke. It's a racial joke yes, not racist. There's a huge difference there.

Budi

In that case it probably didn't happen like that =P Always check right from the source when it's about RLM or Cliffy B and discussed in GAF. People like to twist things to fit their narrative.
https://youtu.be/PDbU4hSo9-M?t=1483 Here you go, they didn't.

What doesn't make sense. Elaborate please.

As far as the Homecoming review. The quote. "Spider-Man goes to a high school so diverse, it makes college pamphlets jealous." Is not a racist joke. It's a racial joke yes, not racist. There's a huge difference there.

I didn't say it was a racist joke? Just saying they're a bunch of middle aged white guys in the midwest so they don't really have the mindset to be talking about diversity because they're ignorant on it.

And it doesn't make sense because forced diversity is a myth, Disney didn't force diversity in TFA, they hired a diverse cast. It's the same crappy argument used in games, "oh I like diversity I just don't like forced diversity". It isn't a thing and just a way for people to keep refusing diverse media.

Budi

I didn't say it was a racist joke? Just saying they're a bunch of middle aged white guys in the midwest so they don't really have the mindset to be talking about diversity because they're ignorant on it.

And it doesn't make sense because forced diversity is a myth, Disney didn't force diversity in TFA, they hired a diverse cast. It's the same crappy argument used in games, "oh I like diversity I just don't like forced diversity". It isn't a thing and just a way for people to keep refusing diverse media.
How do you feel about the diversity of Lawbreakers?

Gold_Loot

Whoa slow down. I never said it was forced and neither did they. The criticism was that they made it a priority to point it out whenever they could. Be diverse simply to be diverse. Don't use it as a selling point.

I compare it to companies promoting that they give to charities in advertising.it can be pretty tasteless to use that as a selling tactic. Give because you want to give. Diversify because you want to diversify.

As far as RLM. They are located in Milwaukee. I'm not sure about race ratios there. But I'm sure there's at least a fair amount there.

Budi

It's good, my only complaint is the different sides classes are a bit too similar design-wise, but I guess that's for easy recognition.
Hmm yeah sure, most of them are. Haven't really thought about it like that, Juggernauts are both robots, Titans are both big while other is a woman and other is somekind of "freak" and so on. I'd say Assassins are quite different visually.

In that case it probably didn't happen like that =P Always check right from the source when it's about RLM or Cliffy B and discussed in GAF. People like to twist things to fit their narrative.
https://youtu.be/PDbU4hSo9-M?t=1483 Here you go, they didn't.
"It stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker who attends a high school with so much diversity, college advertising pamphlets are jealous."

It's a bit weird they even bring up diversity when schools are diverse anyway IRL but I guess schools depicted in films aren't as diverse, so they feel bringing it up? Or are schools in Wisconsin where they live not diverse? At least they're not trashing on diversity.

PillarEN

"It stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker who attends a high school with so much diversity, college advertising pamphlets are jealous."

It's a bit weird they even bring up diversity when schools are diverse anyway IRL but I guess schools depicted in films aren't as diverse, so they feel bringing it up? Or are schools in Wisconsin where they live not diverse? At least they're not trashing on diversity.
In the States it depends on your district, location, and demographics. Some schools will seem pretty diverse and some schools will be primarily one race with a small scattering of others. I'd guess schools in Nebraska would be more samey demographically than most schools in NYC.

Fuchsdh

Well, the diversity angle got a lot of play from at least the internet reviews I saw (they were positive.) I can see bringing it up, especially to make a joke in contrast to previous films. And while reality is diverse, the whole problem is that Hollywood ain't (I went to a pretty diverse school but I was still struck by the representation of Queens, which says something about the usual movie output.)

As for Lawbreakers, it just seems like a case of an unremarkable game landing with a thud in the middle of a crowded market.

Despera

Banned
O man that ending was pretty sad... but kinda hilarious too lol

They tried their absolute best to get the idea this game is not an overwatch clone across, but there was no chance of escaping that comparison.

Budi

I couldn't really know, I'm not from the States. But I could imagine that schools aren't as diverse in Wisconsin as they are in New York. But this isn't based on first hand experience. And I took it as a joke about college advertising pamphlets. I grew up going to schools with only white classmates, two Romano girls being the exceptions (not related to discussion really, just wanted to share). But the point is, what was told to Psychoward wasn't actually said by RLM. And we can see similar effect with Cliffy B going on, people take his words out of context and put meaning behind them what is not there. Sometimes even straight up misquoting.

I couldn't really know, I'm not from the States. But I could imagine that schools aren't as diverse in Wisconsin as they are in New York.

You are right about WI in general (I grew up in small city that is >90% white people) but Milwaukee is a lot more diverse than the rest of the state.. As of 2008 , Milwaukee has a (just eyeballing) white population of ~50%. (http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/cityDCD/planning/plans/Citywide/plan/Data.pdf)

So while you're still correct about it probably not being diverse as it is elsewhere, Milwaukee specifically is definitely not just a bunch of white dudes that have never experienced any sort of diversity. It's the most diverse city in the state.

b0bbyJ03

Watching this made me kind of sad. I think they tried to create something they felt was different and fun. Cliffy B's marketing tactics could use some work but overall I'm sure a ton of really hard working people made this game. No need to rub salt on the wound now that the game didn't do as well as they hoped it would.

Yeah, that was my conclusion of this video.

Why would you think that is a reasonable assumption? The whole point of this video is to cherry pick statements of Cliffy B being controversial or contradictory. With that goal in mind, is it really reasonable to think that, based on those cherry picked examples, that every other thing he says is exactly the same?

You are right about WI in general (I grew up in small city that is >90% white people) but Milwaukee is a lot more diverse than the rest of the state.. As of 2008 , Milwaukee has a (just eyeballing) white population of ~50%. (http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups/cityDCD/planning/plans/Citywide/plan/Data.pdf)

So while you're still correct about it probably not being diverse as it is elsewhere, Milwaukee specifically is definitely not just a bunch of white dudes that have never experienced any sort of diversity. It's the most diverse city in the state.
Then that makes RLM's comment pretty weird if they live in a diverse place. Especially since they most likely know that NYC is very diverse. I'll just chalk it to being another bad joke from them.

Why would you think that is a reasonable assumption? The whole point of this video is to cherry pick statements of Cliffy B being controversial or contradictory. With that goal in mind, is it really reasonable to think that, based on those cherry picked examples, that every other thing he says is exactly the same?

"cherry pick" dozens of instances of him being a tool?

"cherry pick" dozens of instances of him being a tool?

I mean, yeah, that's exactly what it is. I'm not saying he didn't say those or that those statements aren't him being a tool, but every single one of those quotes are snippets of an interview that is pretty much taking all of the context out of every single statement. Do you really think that literally everything he says makes him sound like a massive tool based on this "gotcha!" video?

Some of the things aren't even him being a tool, just attempts at him trying to be framed as contradictory, some examples in the video work whereas others just seem to fall flat.

It just seems strange to me that one would see these clearly cherry picked examples and just assume the person is like that everywhere else, even when he's not just doing PR for his game.

Top Bottom